Question: Whats the temperature on your GPU?

How hot is your GPU?

• Total voters

sob

Elite
I got a GTX 260 with standard cooling. During gameplay the temperature on my GPU is lurking around 83 C, and the MCP (NVIDIA nForce® media and communications processors, on the motherboard) is at about the same. This is with the side door open with a big room fan blowing air straight into it.

Is this normal? What card do you use and whats your temperature during gameplay?

I cant remember having a problem like this before and it feels like Im getting some bugs caused by overheating. But then again it might just be common graphic glitches in EU. Its mainly dissapearing mobs, vegetation and vegetation that lose texture and some weird shadows and light effects.

mine sits at 58-60' in game, but then i got a Gainward with dual fans.

going by server experience, 80' is fine for chip temps, but at the higher end. i think the graphic glitches you are getting is due to known bugs in the engine implementation that everyone is getting, and at 1024x864 windowed mode i dont have any.

Reactions: sob
I got a GTX 260 with standard cooling. During gameplay the temperature on my GPU is lurking around 83 C, and the MCP (NVIDIA nForce® media and communications processors, on the motherboard) is at about the same. This is with the side door open with a big room fan blowing air straight into it.

Is this normal? What card do you use and whats your temperature during gameplay?

I cant remember having a problem like this before and it feels like Im getting some bugs caused by overheating. But then again it might just be common graphic glitches in EU. Its mainly dissapearing mobs, vegetation and vegetation that lose texture and some weird shadows and light effects.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1004378/why-nvidia-chips-defective

and the new models have the same bugs I am afraid

It was 92°C this morning.. (laptop) Can't be good, oh well if it breaks down I'm buyin a new one

Oh well :)

Running a GeForce GTX 275.
Standard set up.
My highest temp so far is 88 deg celsius.

According to nVidia specs max temp is 105.

/Argentum

Last edited:
Reactions: sob
your gpu is just fine, mine has a max temp of 110 then one should start to worry. mine usually howers around 60-80

i googled on how to overclock my GPU, and i ended up at guru3d app called riva tuner?. iam stillplaying with it.

I got a 8600 gt, and it seems nvidia also got a overclocking prog called nvtune or something like that.
I installed it yesterday but i was to tired to really overclock my gpu without burning it to death.

I understand you have to increment it with 10 mhz per try or else it end up in disaster (guru3d ;))

But on standard setting according riva tuner it was 73 Celcius.
Then i made setting that me fan was on 95% fan speed and it decreased to 63 Celcius (this are on IDLE mode lol)

I still trying to log in EU to see what temp i have under load mode...

Google is truly my best friend, next step: to find a manual how to make a fartbomb for MA....

i think you are misunderstanding the problems described there. they explain why physical failures may occur due to high temperatures, not how high temperatures come about, nor why graphical glitches or artifacts are present (though this might be in relation to excessive temperature).

also to add, the desgin prodcution defects where on the old 8 and 9 series, not the new GTX series.

Last edited:
I dunno the exact temperature, but the alarm on my nvidia geforce 9600gt went off at low graphic and smallest windowed resolution recently. Case was closed and environment temperature was quite warm then tbh. I can just play with open case and at lowest settings now it seems. Maybe the bluescreens on nvidia cards are overheat problems? Although the alarm didn't go off then.

90-95C. No worries ;)

mine levelled off at 95 degrees and then ctd haha

Last edited:
overclocked... 50-60 degrees, basic fan cooled, 6 year old PC.7600 gt, amd 64 targa 3700

I wouldnt trust 110 degrees max - after 25 years in the electronics industry I know that anything over 85 degrees will shorten the lifespan unless of course its automotive or military gear. If mine ever goes over 85 I will improve the cooling or stop doing whatever causes the high temperature.

Oh yeah I have a 7600gs and it only runs at 68 degrees with gfx on medium.

I wouldnt trust 110 degrees max - after 25 years in the electronics industry I know that anything over 85 degrees will shorten the lifespan unless of course its automotive or military gear. If mine ever goes over 85 I will improve the cooling or stop doing whatever causes the high temperature.

So my 8600m GT at 95 is bad mkay?

Might have to stick a house fan underneath the laptop haha.

So my 8600m GT at 95 is bad mkay?

Might have to stick a house fan underneath the laptop haha.

Or it might need cleaning. My 7900 should runs hotter, but I managed to drop the temperature by 10c simply by opening the case and unclogging the fan ducts. Ok.. I also took the card out and reapplied silver thermal paste, but anyways, if you clean it carefully, it'll run cooler.

well they are kinda using high quality stuff nowadays :p

but yes 110 degrees you should be worried about, but it CAN go that high without dying on you. So the limit is that value. But ofcourse extra cooling is always better. :)

Or it might need cleaning. My 7900 should runs hotter, but I managed to drop the temperature by 10c simply by opening the case and unclogging the fan ducts. Ok.. I also took the card out and reapplied silver thermal paste, but anyways, if you clean it carefully, it'll run cooler.

Thing is Dell have only just been and replaced the motherboard aswell as putting on extra thermal paste. Its a laptop so not that easy to clean. Im sure i have some compressed air somewhere though haha.

Temperature and Temperature Grade Components.

If you are hitting above 65 degree Celsius ironically it may or may not be bad. Depends on the components in your whole system, if they are of the "industrial" or "military" temperature grade range you're safe, although in practice it's always good to have it much lower than the maximum range (if running a tad hot).

Commercial equipment temperature grade is 0 to 70 degrees Celsius. Most computers have this grade electronics in them. Your CPU, GPU, North and South Bridges ironically shouldn't really go past 65 degrees celsius, averaging around 40 to 60 tops (65 if really pushing it).

If you are running hotter than that, have heat sinks on it and a lot of fans, either it was a poorly designed card or you may not have sufficient air flow in your case. Make sure you have your cords / cables out of the way of the heat sinks and the fans have ample room.

By the way, those pretty cases with all those LEDs and neon lights, etc., those actually make no difference in terms of your cooling, it just wastes power, that's all that does. Unless you are using an old school neon set up that throws off an addition 5 degrees celsius (these are rare to find on the market nowadays).

What is often overlooked in terms of cooling are the north and south bridge chips. If you're over-clocking which I suspect a lot of your are. Please don't use the standard heat sinks on those, get a northbridge cooler (heat sink + fan, minimum). The southbridge chip is usually not clocked way out of it's normal operating range (also keeps the temps down but you can get a cooling option for that too).

Talk to the manufacturer of your card (not Nvidia unless it's Nvidia that made it directly, often times it's a second party that makes those cards like BFG, etc.) Ask them what are the standard operating specs on the card, the maximum operating temperature and how long it can stand to sit at that before it fails, also ask what the is CFM for the card to keep it at a lower temp. CFM stands for Cubic Feet per Minute airflow.

There is a lot of parameters you need to look at before you upgrade your system, often overlooked or most misunderstood is the CFM too. Also when you put components in or take them out, that can change the CFM number in side your case. I can explain that further if need be, although I think you can figure that one out, it's just simple physics.

Thing is Dell have only just been and replaced the motherboard aswell as putting on extra thermal paste. Its a laptop so not that easy to clean. Im sure i have some compressed air somewhere though haha.

What model dell do you have? I have a E1705 and I use this fan control software to improve cooling when I play games.

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

They list the compatible models.

Geforce 9800 77C

Trying to find a program for my NVidia 260 card, but out of succes, anyone know any program that you can use to optimize and overlook temp.... and much more :confused:

Rapido

Commercial equipment temperature grade is 0 to 70 degrees Celsius. Most computers have this grade electronics in them. Your CPU, GPU, North and South Bridges ironically shouldn't really go past 65 degrees celsius, averaging around 40 to 60 tops (65 if really pushing it).

That's just not right, atleast not any more. Most are running on 65-70 degrees on stock cooling, maybe not the cpu bug gpu's today are a LOT hotter than they used to be.

I would say 70-75 with stock cooling :p

That's just not right, atleast not any more. Most are running on 65-70 degrees on stock cooling, maybe not the cpu bug gpu's today are a LOT hotter than they used to be.

for the CPU and GPU, certainly that range is no problem - and there is no "commerical" and "industrial" grades, all the core components come from exactly the same production processes. might be a point about north/south bridges though, server vendors make their own motherboards so might have different components in there.

I was making a generalization for components and chips in your system.

Actually there are temperature grade differences, I create most of the board to military spec, that have to be operable in this temperature range, -55 to +125 degree Celsius. This applies to passive components like capacitors, resistors, and other stuff as well.

Here are the temperature grades (ranges).

Commercial, 0 to 70
Industrial / Automotive / Marine (boat), -40 to 85
Military / Special Use, -55 to 125

Depends on the manufacturer but not all manufacturers have one standard (one size fits all) for the temperature, I've encountered quite a few that still use the old standards.

In any case, most of the standard electronic boards I've produced stay well below 60 C range, even though I am using mil spec components.

Here is an example of a company that still has different temperature ranges for their products and different options for a chip, this is seen on different products as well.

http://www.buyaltera.com/scripts/partsearch.dll/multisearch?site=ALTERA&lang=EN&keywords=EPM7512

It's only got the commercial, industrial, and extended industrial temp range listed but still. I could list other places for specific components in a system but that's pointless.

I just spoke with one of the engineers at Nvidia pertaining to their newer graphics cards, they are using extended industrial temperature range components. I am waiting for them to pull up the individual specs for their new cards in the standard operating temp for them and what the max should be (to avoid a failure).

I selected "over 90".

But the truth is, I have no clue as I don't care as long as it works.

My system has extra fans for ventilation and as long as everything works, I don't care.

from 45 idle to 60 full load

Back