Question: what's your return rate?

What return do you get on average hunting?

• under 10%

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • over 10%, under 20%

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • over 20%, under 30%

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • over 30%, under 40%

Votes: 25 8.5%
  • over 40%, under 50%

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • over 50%, under 60%

Votes: 35 11.9%
  • over 60%, under 70%

Votes: 46 15.6%
  • over 70%, under 80%

Votes: 41 13.9%
  • Over 80%, under 90%

Votes: 37 12.6%
  • over 90%

Votes: 58 19.7%

• Total voters
Well i voted 70%-80%. And thats becouse i mean average for all my hunts. I also count those 20 no loots in a row and then i stop hunting. And if i understand correctly those 20 no loots are categorised as 0% right?
I have a struggle every day what to hunt (low lvl mobs). I can go out with 10 k ammo and do terrible on daikibas, snables exos then i go on kerberos and look... minis after minis after minis and after some time they start to give me the same no loots i was running from before. After that i change back to exos and.... OMG minis after minis.... u know the drill. Getting 10% constantly back means u dont know how to adapt. Hell i dont know when to adapt if i still get all those low return runs. But that is probably becouse of that thinking.... this one has mini... bang... no loot... aaa this one has it...bang... no loot... repeat 20 times move away :D

What Ahmed of Jeff Dunham used to say... location location location :D

cya

I would say that my average is at 70-80%
Ofcourse, sometimes it gose down to 20-30% but then again, sometimes I profit quite good up to 140-150%
Going mostly midrange argos, drones and armax.

I was just reading this and wondering... what the heck is return? :confused:
I go out and hunt little amounts at a time... What ever happens I never get profit :( . I dont wanna sound like I'm whining, but I never get return.. but on the plus side that means les time hunting/crafting/mining and more time hanging with my soc :D. I envy you peoples with return. :laugh:

Until next time,
Ze-Tomb Raider

Last edited:
Poor runs 50%, sometimes less.
Good runs, up to 200%

Average would be ~80% TT
Market% breaks even if you hunt the right mobs. e.g. an 80% TT on aurli/krelt will nett 100% due to the occasional esi, krelt plate, aurli bone. The thing with these though is you can have a string of small globals(50-80), or a string of large ones (150+) and that can make a huge difference. Same goes for all mobs - depends on what you like to hunt+ if you like what the mob drops.

With the economic L guns like korss 400 and breer p5 i use to end up somewhere between 20-60% return.. quit the L road now, much better returns with non-L for me!

When i collected enough i do something "silly", mining with bigger amps, crafting stuff, can't say i lose really much on this activities by TT value but of course i "burn" markup that i consider as lost again.

Of course i have my runs with very low tt-return too, like everyone. But i keep track of my assets and would say that hunting reasonable gives very very close to 100% TT-return on the long run. From variations of different mobs (higher and lower armor/fap consume) it really seems to me that only an small part of the armor/fap decay is lost, but that can sum up of course if "invested" in the wrong mob.

Well, that markup is the key is common knowledge anyway and a bit off topic here.
So why do people report so extreme (low) returns? From reading this forum you could get the impression a part of the players is ripped off and few others are bag it all in :laugh:. Well, thats actually kind of true on the short run. On the long run, from all i can see and i talk an lot with other players too, it balance out.

Most big Hofs and ATH's are an "emergency valve" but an part of the Hof is also "advance payment". Those big Hofs are mainly build up by ignorance / stubborn. Now that sounds insulting maybe and i appologize to anyone who is offended. But thats basicly how it seems to work and it is not so hard to try it out.
The question is only, how much decay/markup dit you lose on the way and is your bankroll big enough to support that quest on an mob that can drop, let's say 20k?

All in all, my impression is when it comes to TT-returns, the system is interactive. It is made in an way so that it adjust to the players "style".

If you want flatter loot and play at an limited bankroll you have to find the mob and area, sometimes the gear, that fits your current cylce.

If you can stand the pain of extreme up and downs, grind anything you like but still have an eye on your "passive costs" (fap/armor-decay, markup, taxes...)

Of course it is not all that simple, and if you want balanced results it is an timeconsuming hobby, not just any game you log in and start to shoot.

Being active part of the economy is rewarding in more then the obvious way, i. e. the TT is the enemy when it comes to converting your loot to peds.

It's a long post I quoted, so I shortened it to what I feel are the most important points, but really the whole thing was great.

I haven't turned over nearly as many peds as Leona and haven't been around as long, but I have found similar results and formed them into a similar theory.

I do have one disagreement/question though about the 100% return rate. I find that return is more like ~90-92% but over all costs, not just from gun, amp, and ammo.

I wonder if your fap and armor bills are approximately 8% of what you spend on the costs that you report a 100% return from?

I burn a fair bit of scanner, more armor than gun sometimes and often a lot of fap. I still find that my returns are about 92% of total cost even though my cost of ammo and guns is probably only 50% of my total costs. I am in a down period right now, so it's hard to say this with confidence (and impossible to back it up with data), but my last loot peak put me right in line with 92% of my total spending to that point, so I keep my faith. :cool:

(all references to costs and loots refer to tt value only -- I totally agree that burning low mark-up to loot high mark-up is the way to profit)

By return I meant: "Avi used up 100 peds of ammo, and got x peds-tt in loot." I am not even including decay.

I get, on average, at the moment, 10-20 peds back at TT per 100 peds ammo Solo hunting. Like I said "Clearly I am doing something wrong."

If I go out in a team, I do ok. Look at my recent achievements. All are team.
It has got to the point that I don't really bother hunting solo.

Time to get my Pea-shooter Frean-D alpha ME out, and go wack some snables i think.

Add in a team mate, and I get glows, (or a share of them anyway) no problem.
MY "dynamic" seems to be on a long term "no loot".
Crafting, I get 75% return, (IE for 100 peds TT value materials, 75 peds TT value items made) but crafting uses up the peds so much quicker.

8 months ago I was probably in the 70% bracket.
Eu is dynamic. At least I see some claiming a better loot to ammo ratio. I just need to get there myself.

Skills

This was probably mentioned, but I scrolled to the end of this thread to post my experience with return.

Typical hunt for me is 60-70% return, and I know it has to do with what mob you are hunting. I read a thread where someone ended a hunt because 10 or so mobs in a row had no loot, but they were the small (cute) snable's, or something like that. I've tried scaling down to that mob with a tiny gun, but the return is horrible and it's way too time consuming for a few ped.

My experience, hunting allo's, atrox, ambu, armax, the return is in the nature (average) of 60-70%. There are days, however, where it is much greater, and much poorer. This past week, for example, I had some phenomenal ambu hunting, but it evened out with very poor 2-3 days. In a day, I had about 17 globals (about 5-6hours) and 1 hof (370ped). The next day, a mere 7 globals and 1 hof (400ped), and throw in a few hogglo globals (135 and 174ped). I was on cloud nine, feeling quite fortunate. BUT, these past couple days, after about 100k ammo and several hundred ped in decay, no globals, no hof's, and minimal loot, my return was about 10-20%, BARELY enough to cover the cost of decay, and a huge loss in ammo.

Whoa, this comment is longer than I thought, sorry :(. IMO, average return is about 60-80% in the long run, but do people consider the skills earned? They have value, and being quite noobish, I couldn't calculate what that amount is. I think with skill gains considered, it would be quite close to an even break.

normally around 70% but sometimes its bad and around 30% but ofc i had hunts with 200 - 300% (but these ones are VERY rare)

oh, I placed myself in the wrong bracet. I placed myself in the 70%.
But if I only include ammo vs loot TT value like Dorsai, then I am in the 90%+

I have always counted with decay included, so sorry for not providing the correct info for the poll.

im around that 20-50% on both mining and hunting

My returns are all over the place sometimes.

I usually spend about 300 peds per hunt (include decay / markup lost / ammo) and have gotten anything from about 100 peds to about 500 peds returns (without any hofs).

A single global usually helps to make the hunt break even, sometimes even that is not enough. Rarely is a run profitable without a global.

Some days are good, some days I lose over 300 peds over a couple of runs in a single day.

Overall I think I can get close to breakeven (or small profit) - except I tend to go after "fun huge mobs" at times and lose it all after that.

Must remember to have less fun :p

im at around 250% average. Sometimes its bad and i only get 150%, sometimes up to 400%.

I think the options in the poll are a bit low. for people like me who profit a lot its a bit boring.

:lolup: :lolup: :lolup:

Damn forum trolls..... :rolleyes:

I do have one disagreement/question though about the 100% return rate. I find that return is more like ~90-92% but over all costs, not just from gun, amp, and ammo.

I wonder if your fap and armor bills are approximately 8% of what you spend on the costs that you report a 100% return from?

I burn a fair bit of scanner, more armor than gun sometimes and often a lot of fap. I still find that my returns are about 92% of total cost even though my cost of ammo and guns is probably only 50% of my total costs. I am in a down period right now, so it's hard to say this with confidence (and impossible to back it up with data), but my last loot peak put me right in line with 92% of my total spending to that point, so I keep my faith. :cool:

(all references to costs and loots refer to tt value only -- I totally agree that burning low mark-up to loot high mark-up is the way to profit)

Yes, the "close to 100% tt-return thingy" is where most people disagree. Actually just had an discussion in socchat :).

It is easy to explain though. Let's agree on some terms first:

Active costs: Everything that decays direct to damage. Ammo, weapon decay and amp decay for an ranged hunter in example.

Passive Costs: Fap, Armor "basedecay" (w/o L markup)

Lack of Economy Costs: If you use an unmaxed weapon

Markup Costs: All markup you "decay" on your run, your L gun, L amp, L Fap, L Armor, L whatever

Extra Expenses: Teleport costs, LA-taxes...

So what i claim is: Assuming you hunt with an maxed weapon, on the long run you get back 100% of your Active Costs plus an unknown part of your Passive Costs.
To me it seems that the system keeps an % of the Passive Costs. That would be pretty much how MA claims that it works, surprise surprise. :laugh:

The Markup Costs, MA's part of the Passive Costs and the Extra Expenses however, it is your job as hunter to earn it back by markup in loot.

Or you just write it off because you are an funhunter and deposit. :laugh: Still you can hope for an big loot with huge markup. Whatever people claim about lack of items in loot, there was never so much markup in loot in the past then it is nowadays.

You can go and optimize your runs for the sum of small markup amounts that accumulates pretty nice, or you just hope for "luck" to loot something with big markup. Depends all on your bankroll and how you want to enjoy the "game".

So back on topic an bit: Why do we have so huge gaps in reported returns here on the forum?

Well, first you can filter out the "extreme" values. Reason for those are plenty and it would need an extra long post to go into it.

From all my experience, if someone, who claims to get i.e. 50% back, starts to keep track of his results, split by Active Costs, Passive Costs and other costs (see above) over an reasonable timeframe, and compares it to TT-returns, he suddenly reports >90% returns on TT.

But even your example of 92% is way of my results, so whats the reason?

People underestimate how small things sums up!

I wanted to post some examples out of my present daily hunting routine, they are quite extreme so one could see the huge differences. Range would be grinding small allos with H400+A105 to hunting Sumimas with Delta+Beast.
To much work atm, so maybe next days if this thread is still active. The sense of the examples would be to show how extreme things sums up and that it is not the TT-return that makes some people deposit and others breake even over years.

So that was an lot of blabla again from my side, if my theories (and i have an truckload more, loot cycles is one of my favorite :laugh:) are right or not doesn't really matter, it works for me since 2,5 years, that matters.

What obviously is true, and that matters an lot, is that one can break even after markup with hunting and mining without luck at any level. Yes, skills and gear helps an lot, but then again it is not everything.

MA added an lot of "fog" over the last years, nolooters, remove of peds in loot, extreme loot distribution / Hofs... Doesn't matter at all, basics are still the same. You need to have an bigger bankroll nowadays to break even, thats true though.

I got a "dynamic reply" from MA.

Logged back in where I was when I gave up last night.
Got attacked by a few bots close to me, and did not want to die. Not like it matters, but I wanted to tp out.

Shot 2-4 of them, then got this.

Puts me back to about 70%.

Yes, the "close to 100% tt-return thingy" is where most people disagree. Actually just had an discussion in socchat :).

Lol i was just saying that 94% ísn't close enough to 100% :)

Lol i was just saying that 94% ísn't close enough to 100% :)

Lol Harmony, yes i agree. And like sayd, i do not insist on the 100% thingy. Just saying it is damn close to it. But agreed, even few % sums up huge over time, so it is an difference.

oh, I placed myself in the wrong bracet. I placed myself in the 70%.
But if I only include ammo vs loot TT value like Dorsai, then I am in the 90%+

I have always counted with decay included, so sorry for not providing the correct info for the poll.

You really have to include both though, as different weapons have a different ratio of decay to ammo, and if you are using a melee weapon you don't use any ammo at all

By return I meant: "Avi used up 100 peds of ammo, and got x peds-tt in loot." I am not even including decay.

I get, on average, at the moment, 10-20 peds back at TT per 100 peds ammo Solo hunting. Like I said "Clearly I am doing something wrong."

Yes, i would say so.
But guys, for the poll your vote is really irrelevant if you calculate return rate without taking decay into account. Some have high ammo use vs low decay and others vice versa. For example my overall decay is around 65-75% of my ammo use, hunting with (L) weapons.
But if you really insist on doing that, I suggest you to use melee weapons, then you will (think you) have guaranteed profit on every hunt.

edit: and I obviously didnt read the last post before posting

Ammo only 100%+
ammo + amp 100%+
ammo + gun decay ~100% (has been low laterly due to some fun hunts, but it's 100+ again atm *crossing fingers*)

In that case it would vary. With p5a - might get back 80-90%
manis -120%

But manis decay is a lot higher and a key component in eco, so looking only at ammo is a bit shortsighted.

On the other hand if you made a poll "i receive XX% back on ammo using YY weapon" and repeatedly polled it fro every weapon, it would give you meaningful data.

It is easy to explain though. Let's agree on some terms first:

Active costs: Everything that decays direct to damage. Ammo, weapon decay and amp decay for an ranged hunter in example.

Passive Costs: Fap, Armor "basedecay" (w/o L markup)

Lack of Economy Costs: If you use an unmaxed weapon

Markup Costs: All markup you "decay" on your run, your L gun, L amp, L Fap, L Armor, L whatever

Extra Expenses: Teleport costs, LA-taxes...

So what i claim is: Assuming you hunt with an maxed weapon, on the long run you get back 100% of your Active Costs plus an unknown part of your Passive Costs.
To me it seems that the system keeps an % of the Passive Costs. That would be pretty much how MA claims that it works, surprise surprise. :laugh:

The Markup Costs, MA's part of the Passive Costs and the Extra Expenses however, it is your job as hunter to earn it back by markup in loot.

I think you are missing my point.

I am saying that according to my experience there is no difference at all between what you call active and passive costs as they relate to total tt return over time. Else I loot better than 100% on active cost (on the long run counting globals into the avg)...

I have high passive costs (focus chip, tp, fap, scanner) and low active cost (over 1 yr active playing and only ~1450 marksmanship) because I aim to be a more scientifically skilled avatar vs a Rambo. This style gives me lumpy returns as opposed to flatter ones of a very eco-minded hunter who maximizes damage out and minimizes damage in, but I agree that we all get about the same return in the long run.

You didn't answer my one question directly.

Is your passive cost at about 8% of your active cost (accounting for the difference between my 92% and your ~100%)?

I think that your 100% return on "active cost" is incidental and a result of the arbitrary division you made of "active" and "passive" costs as they relate to tt return. I do agree tho, that dividing your costs as you have and minimizing passive costs will give a flatter return rate.

For a small bankroll that is a good thing, but if you have a big one... it might be better to go for the hofs.

i use to hunt with h400 or p5a+a103, ek2600, no armor.. fap decay aint much.. alot less than armor decay would be.. and on decent mobs.. i still dont usually get even 50% of the wasted ammos back.. i dunno how some ppl claim that by hunting economic u do get 80%+ on most of the runs... economic aint shit if u hunt 3 days in row without getting a loot above 10peds.. and ammo wasted per day is 50-100k.. and on estos who dont even give no looters LOL

its not the economic that matters.. its the loot...

I think you are missing my point.

I am saying that according to my experience there is no difference at all between what you call active and passive costs as they relate to total tt return over time. Else I loot better than 100% on active cost (on the long run counting globals into the avg)...

I have high passive costs (focus chip, tp, fap, scanner) and low active cost (over 1 yr active playing and only ~1450 marksmanship) because I aim to be a more scientifically skilled avatar vs a Rambo. This style gives me lumpy returns as opposed to flatter ones of a very eco-minded hunter who maximizes damage out and minimizes damage in, but I agree that we all get about the same return in the long run.

Hmm, i think i got your point but i failed to work it out properly in my last post. There was supposed to be an larger text in my last post between the sentences: "But even your example of 92% is way of my results, so whats the reason?" and "People underestimate how small things sums up!"
So the second sentence now seems to direct refer to your 92%, but doesnt.

Then again, if you take my way of splitting things your situation fits perfectly in.

Lets, just for fun, make up an total silly calculation:

Let's assume my claim:

"Assuming you hunt with an maxed weapon, on the long run you get back 100% of your Active Costs plus an unknown part of your Passive Costs.
To me it seems that the system keeps an % of the Passive Costs."

is right.

And just for arguments sake let's assume MA's parts of the Passive Costs is 10%:

Player A and B both spend 100K Ped

Player A
Active Costs: 90000 Ped
Passive Costs: 10000 Ped

Return: 90000 + 9000 = 99000 (99%)

Player B
Active Costs: 50000 Ped
Passive Costs: 50000 Ped

Return: 50000 + 45000 = 95000 (95%)

Or let's assume MA's part is 25%:

Player A
Active Costs: 90000 Ped
Passive Costs: 10000 Ped

Return: 90000 + 7500 = 97500 (97.5%)

Player B
Active Costs: 50000 Ped
Passive Costs: 50000 Ped

Return: 50000 + 37500 = 87500 (87.5%)

Now i would not be surprised if what i call Passive Costs not only includes armor and fap (else i would call it "Defense Costs") but also includes other decay like scanner, TP chip...
But i never burned few hundred or thousand Peds with an scanner or something and checked if and how it comes back.

I think that your 100% return on "active cost" is incidental and a result of the arbitrary division you made of "active" and "passive" costs as they relate to tt return. I do agree tho, that dividing your costs as you have and minimizing passive costs will give a flatter return rate.

I made two sentence bold in the two quoting blocks above because they make me think you missed the core of my claim, so i repeat:

"...on the long run you get back 100% of your Active Costs plus an unknown part of your Passive Costs..."

I agree, the way i divide costs might seem arbitrary and the above example calculations are flawed of course. You could explain quite any returnrate with that modell.
But then again, this modell doesn't come out of thin air. If you hunt different types of mobs, low decay for long time, then higher decay for long time, you get some data that calls for an modell like this.

No need to say that i do NOT claim the lootsystem works like this, that would be silly. There are at least 2 totally different modells that works quite as well.
And i do not like this theoretical stuff that much, but it is an "tool" that helps me to calculate my "markup goal" on an mob.

You didn't answer my one question directly.

Is your passive cost at about 8% of your active cost (accounting for the difference between my 92% and your ~100%)?

My average Passive Costs are way lower then 8% of my Total Costs. I do hunt stuff with up to 10% and more Passive Costs regularly, but not without good reason (either markup or fun/teamhunt).
But the majority of my turnover is based on hunts that have 1 to 5% Passive Costs, even down to 0.45% :laugh:
But again, that doesn't matter much, i do not focus on low Passive Costs all the time and i don't say it is the way to go.

For a small bankroll that is a good thing, but if you have a big one... it might be better to go for the hofs.

Totally agree.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Leona. Definitely some things for me to consider. :)

I can see how both our models of calculation could give data that fits our results. Which is the one MA uses? I don't think we can tell for now, but I guess the safe bet is on yours (requires less bankroll anyway). ;)

My personal hope is that MA wouldn't put such a negative incentive towards skilling in less violent means of burning tt. I do only play with an amount of money I can afford to lose outright, so I guess for now I will continue to play in the way that is fun and rewarding for me even if it comes at a cost in the final results.

Thanks again for taking the time to consider my post and reply so clearly. :)

Over 80%, under 90%

if you have any questions then theres simple answer:
Foul (Young to Scout)
bones
900% markup
:wtg:

Pretty golden posts, but i am not at all sure that the 100% tt thing is a reality. For one, that would make actual weapon eco irrelevant, and i'm not sure that's the case. ;)

Here are my results in hunting since Dec 06:
Active costs: 154,154 PEDs
Passive costs: 7,740
tt return: -13461
market return: 5722

So that's a 91% return on tt of active costs, 92% return of total costs, and 103% return in market value on total costs. Before my first two uber HOFs last month i was at slightly less than 100% overall return.

Counting crafting and mining (both of which have been, with only one small exception in mining, tt losses for the last year), i'm below 100%, too.

If i were to sell all the skills i gained i'd probably be up 10k additional value.

Factoring in the cost of decay as part of the overall expenditure I'd say 90-110% return almost all the time (not including the anomalous hunts where you get several globals or a hof etc). I can honestly only remember having one truly awful hunt but I can't even remember what it was on... :silly2:

Saying that, the average return is much lower if I do wreckless hunts on mobs that need too much fapping etc but I expect that before I start. I didn't count them among the overall average because for me those wreckless hunts are things I do every now and again to let off steam and don't expect much return.

I realise that not taking into account decay etc does not give a fully accurate picture.
However, if one spends 10,000 peds on ammo, and got back 10% (1k, IE 10%) in loot (with nothing worth more than 105%), you would not really care what your decay bill was, as unless you used items that went up in value as you used them, you have clearly failed to make any sort of return at all.

If i were to get back 70-90% of the cost of my ammo (which, incidentally, I get crafting, TT value of materials V's TT value of results/residue), I would think "this is ok", as at that rate, all it will take is a glow, one ESI or such high markup item, and you have got back your costs in full. Add in skills gained, and I am happy.
As a result, the past 2 weeks I have done little but craft low level textures. Return rate, 75% + skills and a few BP's.

Any way, off for some more solo hunting. Perhaps the tide has turned.

Back