Where Do You Call Home

Svetlana

Poster Girl
Society
The Jaded Crown
Ragnarok Svetlana Valhalla
Ok guys- I love travelling and hearing of places I have never been.... soooooooo........
Where are you all from, and/or where do you call home.... AND what is your town/city/countrys' claim to fame... is it known for anything in particular? Is it scenic? Congested? Local food? etc. etc... :girl:

I'll start I guess ;)
Born and raised in New Jersey, USA. Living in Seattle.
Seattle- known for music, home of Starbucks and Microsoft, good seafood and Asian food, and the Space Needle... oh! and earthquakes :)

I reside in a lil place called Arcadia, Maryland. About 30 mins out side inner city Baltimore. Not famouse for much, but ppl come from all over the country a few times a year for our Blue Grass festival which is held by the local fire department :D OH but Baltimore is world famouse for it's sea food :)

Buffalo, New York born and raised. Actually, I was born in Rome, New York on Griffis Air Force Base while my Dad was still in the service. We're known for the Buffalo Bills, beef on weck, chicken wings (known as Buffalo Wings everywhere else) and SNOW!!!!! :eek:

I´m from stockholm, sweden. I dont really know what we are famous for.. :confused:

We are famous for our archipelago i think :D

And..hm..I dunno.. :laugh:

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Known as "Steel Town" and the "Hammer". Mostly the big steel companies(Stelco, and Defasco). Hamilton Ticats Candian Football team and Bull Dogs OHL hockey team. We are about 45min-1hr from Toronto where movies like Resident Evil 2 were filmed.

I was born and raised in Honolulu,Hawaii..on the island of Oahu. Great beaches, beautiful weather,awesome food and best of all....

The people that live there. The Aloha spirit lives thru all of them.

Presently living in Orlando, Florida USA

Mickey lives not far from my house..lol

I will always call Hawaii my home,regardless where I live..:D

Michyblueyes said:
Svet dont foget about Fraiser :D

and the biggest one.... RAIN!!!

DD
:evilking:

Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada well we are famous for being the site of the largest man made non nuclear explosion aptly named the Halifax Explosion and I was born in Newfoundland Canada thus making me a "newfie" the brunt of most jokes told in Canada :D

Pictures People! Pictures!

What a great idea for a thread - this could be called " The World Piece Thread" an opportunity to celebrate our diverse cultures by showing pieces of the world we live in!

My birthplace and spiritual home is Edinburgh, Scotland where I go to catch up with my family and recharge my batteries! - Famous for so many reasons, steeped in history Auld Reekie is also home to several truly great international events including the Edinburgh Festival where you can watch weird and wonderful entertainment from all over the world and Hogmanay where the whole world and his wife come to get drunk and celebrate New Year!

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Home is really where I lay my hat though as I have moved around quite a bit!

I live in Hampshire, England - wet and grey for most of the year, but lovely when the sun comes out!

I live very near to Stonehenge - I suppose it will look alright when it's finished! ;)

But one of my favourite places in the world is the Philippines, where the people are so wonderful and friendly - and Boracay beach as in this photo, is truly a tropical paradise that is fortunately not over run with tourists. If you are looking for an alternative holiday - Go there, it is beautiful!! :wise:

Beach.JPG

Mach- oh! you're right! I should be asking for photos as well! :girl:
Good thinking m8!
Ok, the first photo is on one of seattle's floating bridges that connects the city to suburbia.... the focus is Mt. Rainier
The second pic is the skyline ;)

Ok...the city itself is...well, just a city. We have some nice building etc...But, WNY in general has a lot of parks and such not to mention...Niagara Falls! I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. Also, we are the birthplace of...The Goo-Goo Dolls, Rick James and the B-52's came from Jamestown which is a short drive from Buffalo. Lucille Ball was also born there. Here's a couple of pics...

Niagara Falls:

And Letchworth State Park:

Steel said:
I was born in Newfoundland Canada thus making me a "newfie" the brunt of most jokes told in Canada :D

Former neighbour!

I live in Pasadena, Newfoundland, Canada, and have all my life. It's a small town ('bout 3500 people) but it's a really beautiful, friendly place. Doesn't really have any claim to fame, though. 'Cept that I live there. ;)

Devil Doll said:
and the biggest one.... RAIN!!!

DD
:evilking:

Damn right... we Washingtonians love the rain! At least I do.... :D

anyways, im in Anacortes, WA, about (i think) 90miles (~2hour drive depending on traffic and how fast you drive :cool: ) north of Svetlana and DD.

hmm, what is Anacortes famous for? well.... the San Juan islands and Oyster Run (big motorcycle event, lotsa Harleys, and all you hear on the streets is the rumble of the bikes :)).

Well I live in Morgantown WV. I know West Virginia right, inbreeding, moonshine and rednecks. Well its all true. Or it is in some parts. I love Morgantown though, great small town charm, lots of college kids, great outdoor activities. Morgantown is probably best known for fires when the teams do well. (Made national news a couple of times) But also great place for rockclimbing and whitewater activities. Not much else but we do drink a lot here. Anyway to dispell some rumors about WV there is only a few inbreeding occurances but law says you can marry any closer than 3rd cousin here. While in NY I think you can marry up to 1st cousin. Oh well, had some nice pics but didnt want to fiddle with sizing them down and all. GO WVU.

<-- military brat

Lived in Jersey City, NJ ; Alexandria, VA ; Hampton, VA ; Yorktown, VA ; Lafayatte, IN.... Hampton Roads includes Norfolk which has the largest naval base in the US. Lafayette has Purdue University.....Alexandria is near DC....lol haven't lived too many spectactular places

We live in Houston, TX.
Home of Astros Baseball & NASA Mission Control.

Oh yeah, Enron was here too (don't remind me).

It's ok here most of the time, if you like heat and a whole lot of humidity.

I'll try to pull up some pics and add them later.

Born and raised in small town ohio... know for the rock and roll hall of fame and the football hall of fame. Also if you like rollercoasters you will have heard of Kings Island (currently paramount's kings island) and of course Cedar Point, home of TONS of record setting rollercoasters.

My home base is in Clearwater, FL - beaches... Oh yeah.. and we have the tampa bay bucs which won the superbowl a few years ago. oh. and the lightning, which most people hate cause the Stanley Cup came to florida (which pisses off most northern states and canada).

Currently i am in Pennsylvania for the next 4 months for work in a town called Bethlehem (outside of allentown, which is 1.5 hours from NYC and 1 hour from Philly). I am not sure whats it famous for yet. But ill let ya know. Its actually a pretty cool town. White water rafting. Caves, festivals. And the people are cool as hell. Been here 2 days and made some pals.

Suicide

Born, raised, and still live in the Suburbs of Baltimore, Maryland, USA. We're famous for crabs and buffalo escaping and running down the local roads. If you don't believe me, here is some proof from the great event that happened yesterday. Here is some pictures from today's paper. Last line is the best!

buff1.png

buff2.png

Born and bred Celtic lassie...

I'm Scottish through and through. What's my homeland famous for? Hmmmm... let's see..

Whisky - Which is Gaelic for 'Water of Life' oh *hell* yeah!! If that's life, then I'm up for that ;)

Irn Bru - Scotland's *other* national drink ... apparently it's made from girders :tongue2:

Haggis - Scotland's national dish. Here... have a look. I even included the recipe if you want to try making it yourself :cool:

Breath taking scenery. The Scottish Highlands are a regular haunt for me in summer... beautiful lochs, barren mountains and picturesque glens.

Even on a moody murky day in the highlands you can still find lone pipers standing in the wilderness playing the bagpipes

Highland Gatherings, where Clans will meet and compete against one another in tests of strength, stamina and finesse (I enjoy getting pissed out of my mind at these :p )

If given the choice of where I could live *anywhere* in the world... I would have to say.. no thanks, nothing could make me leave my beautiful land (awwww)

ultimababe said:
Born and bred Celtic lassie...

Haggis - Scotland's national dish. Here... have a look. I even included the recipe if you want to try making it yourself :cool:

Please take no offense. But do people really eat that? I have heard about it many times. I thought it was more of a tradition dish than something you can have delivered like a pizza. I could be wrong tho!

Suicide

Currently i am in Pennsylvania for the next 4 months for work in a town called Bethlehem (outside of allentown, which is 1.5 hours from NYC and 1 hour from Philly). I am not sure whats it famous for yet. But ill let ya know. Its actually a pretty cool town. White water rafting. Caves, festivals. And the people are cool as hell. Been here 2 days and made some pals.

Suicide

(Quoting didnt work for some reason, must not like me but this was said earlier by suicide)

The only thing Bethlehem PA is really known for is gymnastics gym called parkettes. Several elite gymnasts go there and several have gone to th olympics. Kristen Maloney was one of them.

*feels like a dork for knowing but my gf is a coach and makes me learn this stuff.

Last edited:
Suicide said:
Please take no offense. But do people really eat that? I have heard about it many times. I thought it was more of a tradition dish than something you can have delivered like a pizza. I could be wrong tho!

Suicide

LOOL yep... you're totally wrong :D

I have Haggis, Tatties n Neeps regularly as do many many Scottish people. I love it... lips and arseholes maybe but it tastes great. :tongue2:

If you knew the contents of regular supermarket sausage, you would never put it near your mouth again if you think heart and lungs are revolting.

most sausage will contain brain, head meat(scraped from the scalp), eyeballs, penis and testicles, tails... basically any part of the animal which doesnt make a steak, a chop or a joint :wise:

Therefore, Haggis is pretty tame in comparison ;)

Faustian said:
I reside in a lil place called Arcadia, Maryland. About 30 mins out side inner city Baltimore. Not famouse for much, but ppl come from all over the country a few times a year for our Blue Grass festival which is held by the local fire department :D OH but Baltimore is world famouse for it's sea food :)
Booty said:
Born, raised, and still live in the Suburbs of Baltimore, Maryland, USA. We're famous for crabs and buffalo escaping and running down the local roads. If you don't believe me, here is some proof from the great event that happened yesterday. Here is some pictures from today's paper. Last line is the best!
you two have obviously never lived in true inner city baltimore... i lived there for about a year (when 15 or 16, that was a while ago)... i went back a few months ago to attend a funeral... i was the only white guy there. inner baltimore (the part actually INSIDE the city limits) has one of the highest african-american per capita populations, next to compton and d.c.... when living there, i got beat down about 3 times a day just for being white :D
haha... and there arent any buffallo in inner city baltimore, lol... just an ongoing fanfare of "cops and robbers." there are at least two public housing projects that the government cut their losses on and just walked away from because it got SO OVERRUN with drugs and violent crime that not only had they become some of the worst ghettos in the nation, all construction crews refused to go anywhere near them... aha!!!!
:D sorry i just thought i should say something to that affect...

hmm, i dont think theres ANYWHERE that id call home... with the possible exception of Kiev, but i havent been able to go back in years... im currently living in las vegas, and have a residence in london which im at often enough...

Im from Helsinki, the capital of Finland.

So what are we famous about... Biggest fortification island in Europe is just in front of Helsinki, universities, Sibelius Academy etc. Hometown of Linux. I think probably more famous in academic circles than from common things.

Lots of music festivals and events here, Tuska Open Air Heavy Metal Festival and Koneisto (the oldest festival for electronic music and arts in Northern Europe).

Oh yes and scandinavians biggest shopping mall :p

In general I guess Finland is known for its beer-loving people, auroras, location near Russia, heavy & classical music, being among least corrupted countries in whole world, mobile phones, number of lakes and suicides (no correlation proved) and so on...

Helsinki Southern Harbor Webcam
Bird Box Cam :D
And those postcard pictures and video clips...

And for US people who wonder how north we are... Helsinki is about same level as Anchorage.

Muppis said:
I´m from stockholm, sweden. I dont really know what we are famous for.. :confused:

We are famous for our archipelago i think :D

And..hm..I dunno.. :laugh:

For loosing Poltava Battle in 1709 to Peter The Great...

you asked for it :dunce:

well perhaps i give you Ikia, and Saabs that i drive... and my Mom was born there!

People think we only have Amsterdam,guess what..nope.. :laugh:
Born and raised in the city that holds the biggest harbour in the world.
Seagate to europe

Now doing la dolce vita on Sicily's capitol..Palermo.
Fascinating island and no i am not into the maffia...
Walhalla of seafood, actually food in general.
Isola del sole..

Peez..
Ciao a tutti..

ultimababe said:
LOOL yep... you're totally wrong :D

I have Haggis, Tatties n Neeps regularly as do many many Scottish people. I love it... lips and arseholes maybe but it tastes great. :tongue2:

If you knew the contents of regular supermarket sausage, you would never put it near your mouth again if you think heart and lungs are revolting.

most sausage will contain brain, head meat(scraped from the scalp), eyeballs, penis and testicles, tails... basically any part of the animal which doesnt make a steak, a chop or a joint :wise:

Therefore, Haggis is pretty tame in comparison ;)

:laugh: - That's one in the eye for the haggis haters - who still insist on eating sausages and burgers! LMAO!

Haggis is delicious! I can appreciate that even though I am now vegetarian - But the great news is you can also get yummy vegetarian haggis!

I hang my hat in Western Australia, Perth. Some very beautiful places here in Australia.

Uluru, a.k.a Ayers Rock. In southern Australia.

Perth City at night

Last edited:
ultimababe said:
I have Haggis, Tatties n Neeps regularly as do many many Scottish people

And some English people who now live in Scotland ;)

Back in England, a visit to the chip-shop would invariably result in Fish n Chips

Now I'm in Scotland, 99% of the time it's Battered Haggis n Chips

BUT you will *not* persuade me to try deep fried pizza, which is another regular here. I might be persuaded to try deep-fried mars bar (if I get drunk enough)

Yup - pretty much every chip shop I've seen sells these...

(Chips are "Potato Fries" for all you foreigners)

Back