Will the 'Stock Exchange' ever happen

Alexis Starfire

Dominant
Banned
Society
Entropia Geriatrics
Sandy Alexis Starfire
When I chipped out about 1.5 years ago, they were just starting to hype the new upcoming "PE Stock Exchange".

Supposedly a Stock Market 'Simulation' that you could invest PED in and try to 'make your fortune'

Now that I came back it is still 'unavailable' , the terminals are there, there is a big flashy building and foyer in Hal City.

Has there been any word of this in the last 2 years? or is it like the 3 year old commercials on the screens :rolleyes:

I started playing just over 2 years ago and I remember them being closed as long as I've been around. Never could figure out why they never removed them.

well......that sure would be cool, :)
go for the one with the apple symbol.....fame and fortune await, lol

Also, some new stock exchange terminals were added at some point in the last 6 months. At least I think some more were added, :scratch2: so it's my belief that maybe MA plan on bringing the stock exchange back once their partners planets come online.

- Nightwolf

I have asked about this in many of the discussions with MindArk, and the answer is usually something along the lines of...

We will implement the Stock Exchange when we feel that the economy is stable...

But they have all been there since BETA.. so who know's?

/Pele

so it's my belief that maybe MA plan on bringing the stock exchange back once their partners planets come online.
- Nightwolf

Well, from what I hear this new 'planet' is going to be quite a ways into the future. Those Ad Screens were supposed to be a Massive Inc. improvement to show real world advertising and in turn give 'bigger loots' if ad's were turned on..and can you tell me where these new ads are and more importantly the 'bigger loots'

This is why I have a little trepidation about the 'Stock Exchange' (and the planet for that matter of fact)

P.S. And the market stable?, that will only happen once MA stop stuffing around with it and decides when the rip-off is enough..

Aaah... the egg... erm...stock exchange

Found the last thread I had asked it in...

Blinding_Light: With the opening of the new Entropia Banks in about 28 days, will we expect to hear an ETA for the Stock Exchange? It has been there since PreGold, is it going to be made usefull anytime soon?
Frank_MindArk: Yes it will come when we feel the market can sustain it and that its both entertaining and worthwhile

Chat with Frank circa '07

Well in recent times the Authorities in various countries have started to become more sensitive to on-line Gambling. Mindark have somehow managed to stay just on the right side of being unregulated. I imagine that implementing a 'Stock Exchange' would be just like waving a flag saying 'come and check us over'.

It worked at one point. Everyone who had money in it was given 2x return back when it was closed. Like the voting booth, 2 more things to the list of the many many things MA started and never finished.

We need a Commodity Exchange..
Selling 1 month "put" option on lyst 104% @boxes :D

I really hope they don't implement it until there is a structure behind it with working companies, board of directors, annual board meetings, budgets, costs and losses for companies, criteria for bankrupcies etc.

A share should have a connection to something real, part ownership of a running company. When we had a stock exchange before it was totally pointless as the shares had no connection to anything.

Not sure a real stock market is feasible ... how would it work ? Randomly ? Then it would be gambling... based on commodities? no point you can just buy the items in auction... unless you introduce derivs like Kosh suggested, options or futures on commodities (that would be a lough... go for it! I know a few people who would be bussy all day doing margin trading rofl)
Do it based on companies ? What companies, the banks ? That only works if they pay a return to shareholders... why else would I buy a share in a bank... no point... I don't see at this stage how MA could implement a real working stock market ... prove me wrong ;)

Maybe they should let you invest in the actual stock market with ped. Er..nevermind....I better stop with the late night angelic dust binges. :laugh:

We need a Commodity Exchange..
Selling 1 month "put" option on lyst 104% @boxes :D

that actually isn't a bad idea in my book.

I also wish there was a way to short sell items in game.

It worked at one point. Everyone who had money in it was given 2x return back when it was closed.

how did it actually work then? what did you trade in?

for me the obvious problem with a stock market is that there is no stock to trade. no businesses, no operations, nothing really that could be a stock. If its meant to be for commities then i can see some limited scope for trading futures, but this would require some back systems ie contracts to tie in each party.

a random generating stock market simulation would clearly be akin to gambling and naughty in sweden. but then if MA list on LSE that wouldnt necessarily be an issue any more (we love gambling in the UK :thumbup: )

that actually isn't a bad idea in my book.

I also wish there was a way to short sell items in game.

It could be nice, but I imagine there wouldn't be very high liquidity resulting in an inefficient market and nice margins to to take advantage of. That will just give the regular auction hawks and speculators a method for easy profit.

It could be nice, but I imagine there wouldn't be very high liquidity resulting in an inefficient market and nice margins to to take advantage of. That will just give the regular auction hawks and speculators a method for easy profit.

I agree it wouldn't work, but I would love it if it did.

Do it based on companies ? What companies, the banks ? That only works if they pay a return to shareholders... why else would I buy a share in a bank...

There is many companies in Entropia.
Banks, Shops, Malls, Lands & Hangars are all business who can pay return to shareholders.

Depend of how the business are lead, the quotes could go up or down.

My indication was it was going to be a bunch of 'imaginary' companies in the futuristic EU flavour. Then player bought shares and watched the market for it to go up or down mostly randomly. Nothing as complex as margin buying or short selling.

Or maybe something like "Acme Ammo" where the stock price changed according to ammo sales.

Whatever :D
(sarcastic) Hey, I heard Duke Nuke'em 3D II would be out soon! (/sarcastic)

My indication was it was going to be a bunch of 'imaginary' companies in the futuristic EU flavour. Then player bought shares and watched the market for it to go up or down mostly randomly. Nothing as complex as margin buying or short selling.

Or maybe something like "Acme Ammo" where the stock price changed according to ammo sales.

Whatever :D
(sarcastic) Hey, I heard Duke Nuke'em 3D II would be out soon! (/sarcastic)

Yea the Hades Companys ! :yay:

And if someone is investing into millions of shares of "Sphere Ordinance" at 300%, MA can just make em go bankrupt :D

I would like to buy a few shares in MA (if and when they go public), through the ingame exchange.

Marco has sad that factories maybe will be a part of the future in EU. So companies/shares could be based on these factories. But i don't think is the first thing on there agenda :p

Back