Question: Will you use voice chat?

Will you use voice chat?

• Total voters

endermigne

Elite
Society
The White Dots
ender endermigne migne
The reason for this poll is quite simple.

If just a small number of people are planning to use it, there isn't really point to subscribe to the service. I mean you'd need to run around to actually find one person who has it, too. Just because you can use it on folks in your FL doesn't mean that you could actually talk to them as they'd need to subscribe, too.

Furthermore, as mentioned in the release thread, there are other solutions to voice-chat with others.

Consider this poll as a first check of interest in this topic. :)

Have they dumped the affiliation with XFire? As they offer a completely free voice chat system.

I can see they need to find more ways the extract ped from players but offering a fee based system when there are existing and in XFire's case already partnered with systems available seems a little strange. Why waste development time and server resources on this when they know how we feel about the missing systems.

Well since i don't have a headset and am too lazy to get one the answer is no. If i would get a headset by some freak accident i think i would prefer to use the ingame one then installing extra programs.

I don't think so

most of the people I konw in game speak english, and my english skills suck :mad:

Buying Speak English chip 2000%

most of the people I konw in game speak english, and my english skills suck :mad:

Practice makes perfect. ;-)

Unless there a huge advantage by way of more usable features or tighter integration, I don't think the in-game VOIP will replace the extant solutions that Societies, teams and gracious benefactors like E-lite have brought to the party.

The main use I had for voice chat in the past was for participating in events (e.g. WoF, landgrab) and (just going on what I've heard as I haven't logged in yet today) I don't think this new system is very well set up for that type of thing, probably better to stick to Vent/TS.

However I can see how it would come in useful on occasion so I will probably end up using it, but rarely.

I very much doubt I will keep up a constant subscription but will just pay the 10 PED on those rare occasions.

I'm sure other people with a different play style (mainly people who do a lot of team hunting, which I don't) would have much more use for it than me.

Just let me quote what I wrote in the release thread:

Just in case anyone cares:

The 10PED per month don't come from nowhere. I assume that there's a contract between MA and Ericsson. They seem to have agreed on a royalty of 10USD per year per user if the user uses it throughout the year (~80c per month). Then MA crunched the numbers backwards and introduced the 10PEDs per month. That's why the initial price is 8 PEDs per month to not let it a have a negative impact on their numbers. The difference of 2PEDs seem to go to MA. Obvious question: into MA's pockets or loot-pool?*

* PLEASE: no discussion about what MA does with it. Create a thread on your own if you want to discuss this!!! Thanks :)

Lol

Not a chance in hell

Cool that you can call people direct in your FL.. but... Ventrilo and Skype FTW!!!! Blows any thing MA can provide sorry to say.. and lol.. ped to talk lol

give me a break.. I give enough money

I voted no, but mainly that is because of the fee.
For free I would quite probably use it.

i think i am not going to use the in game voice chat i already use xfire and i stay with it.
do you all remember the xfire building in the past?? :scratch2:

It's just silly to have a fee for this service... there are 1000 free services around. Why would anybody pay a fee to use this ?

Next thing that comes along is that users are forbidden to use 3rd party chat software... my a****...

People never pay for something which is available for free... and why pay for such a basic feature in the first place ?

Wake up MA... you are making complete fools of yourself...

I wouldn't use it personally, as i have no need for it.

However if i would need it, i don't see what the big fuss is about the fee. It's just 1 usd per month, compared to the cost of all the things in EU that's just peanuts.

And as they have said in release notes, that's just a base system, which in future would be greatly expanded. So they have to finance all the development costs and partnering with Ericson somehow. I'm sure you majority would object if it was financed by deposits and instead free system was offered.

Nope I won’t use it. ;)

MA put it in as people asked for it.
MA guessing, with all the free voice chats out there, it won’t be used much if they add a fee.
Give it a year and they remove it again, for not being used enough, when MA is loosing on this. ;)

Since it costs so little for a whole month, and there's a month free offer I'm undecided and will wait until a chance to use it arises

I´m undecided still.

If they bring more functions like offline voice messaging and other things it might become quite usefull.
I always play in fullscreen and had problems with xfire in the past.

A good thing is also that it is already implented ingame so that people that don´t use TS etc. already don´t have to set up new accounts.. Currently Hunters Unlimited is quite empty ( Reason, thats for a different thread ) so i´m not sure how usefull it would be for me... During WoF etc. it would be great though.

I'll be using it for the first month, trying it out, simply because I got it for free with a deposit.
And, for those of you who are skeptical, make a deposit, buy something else, and get the trial month free.

Currently devastating 15% will use the service with a potential up to 35% :eek:

I had expected something below the 50%-mark, but that's a little extreme.

Anyone else to vote?

Many of you say "why use it when we have other solutions already for free". But i don't think it is for replaceing those, but too make it easier to chat between avatars inside EU without a need to have a external voice chat software. This will probably also be very useful on "planets" that will be use as virtual meeting places and/or education purpose.
Maybe a future MJ Karaoke Bar? ;)

I voted NO because I already use Team Speak to communicate with my society... Plus I simply refuse to give any more PED to MA... If the ingame was offered for free I might give it a try...

My Opinion >

Generally its not a bad idea. The thing is that Teamspeak has horrible sound like from pepsi can. Then there is Ventrilo that has a good sound but what i found out is that usually someone has problem to connect so its problematic to get all the people in.

So i was really excited when i heard about incoming voice chat.. I dont even mind the fee if the sound codec is going to be good.. But WTF why no team chat? or Society Chat? thats the only thing you would use this and many people would subscribe.. And now im confused.. Dont tell me the solution from Ericsson is not capable of this from the beginning...

But hey, they said they got plans for it... So , im saying to MA, make team chat/soc chat available and you have one subscriber.. now? i can only really laugh about this useless thing for 8 peds a month :D

If it was even FREE for people that deposit.. The whole thing might work!

considering its a 10ped a month fee ... no! (i know its not that much IRL)

my soc has a great ventrillo server that sounds better then my damn cell phone thats less the 10ped a month.

Misdirected energies?

Last I checked, skype, teamspeak, ventrillo, and 4 other programs I have installed do voice chat for free.

Given a perfect world, I'd be more than happy to pony up whatever fee MA has for feature-rich, context sensitive, universal voice chat.

Game theory states that the best payoff and lowest cost is for everybody to use out of game voice chat. Skype. TS. Vent. Etc.

Will the payoff of two-click v-com with singularity in contact naming eclipse the the low costs and month-long discount?

Game theory always wins.

Yes I will use Voice chat... assuming anyone wants to talk to me :D

Considering the amount of peds most people can cycle on a day, 8 ped a month, 80 cents is sod all... I drop more than amount a month on the ground...

My Opinion >

Generally its not a bad idea. The thing is that Teamspeak has horrible sound like from pepsi can. Then there is Ventrilo that has a good sound but what i found out is that usually someone has problem to connect so its problematic to get all the people in.

So i was really excited when i heard about incoming voice chat.. I dont even mind the fee if the sound codec is going to be good.. But WTF why no team chat? or Society Chat? thats the only thing you would use this and many people would subscribe.. And now im confused.. Dont tell me the solution from Ericsson is not capable of this from the beginning...

But hey, they said they got plans for it... So , im saying to MA, make team chat/soc chat available and you have one subscriber.. now? i can only really laugh about this useless thing for 8 peds a month :D

Society chat, team chat ... very good points.
Not that I'm going to use it though even if it is there, I don't see myself as an early adapter on this feature.

doubt i'll use it when i have skype, ventrillo and teamspeak already on my system and they are all free. another bone headed, ped vacuum idea brought to you by MA

Someone got a interesting point... others planet could make a use out of it, for karaoke, schooling stuff etc,

rocktropia >> singing nights? stuff like that...

also, you have to realise that at some point, MA/FPC and new planet partner want mimic SecondLife social stuffs and they do have such thing already... so having it implemented only make the game looking a bit more serious, but it should be that each deposit(may be any deposit) give u a free month, not stackable, so each month if someone make a lil deposit they have peds and a free service... and further developper taking this in mind might simply base concept just on that...

Also note that server-sided secured chat is a nice +++, and they didnt take the creepest telephony developper, ericsson is one of the best and it make some nice name to boast about >> "look future developper, we even partnered with ericsson" which is kinda present worldwide...

voted no, but not becausse its to exspensive or so..

basicly only 1 reason i alway's play music and dont want people talking true that...

Back