Win an Appartment: free competition!

heh heh, make that an extra 2 cans of lager and coz I'm in a good mood (drunk) I've decided to give away more than 2 prizes in the main 'Win an Apartment' competition that closes on October 28th. :yay:

I'll pay the rent on the apartment for 12 months soon so if you like you can go visit it and plan how you're going to furnish it. :)

nice :D hehe

heh heh, make that an extra 2 cans of lager and coz I'm in a good mood (drunk) I've decided to give away more than 2 prizes in the main 'Win an Apartment' competition that closes on October 28th. :yay:

I'll pay the rent on the apartment for 12 months soon so if you like you can go visit it and plan how you're going to furnish it. :)

WOW:eek: we should get you drunk more often:D kidding :laugh:
another nice gesture for some 1 lucky keep up the good work +rep:) your karma must be sky high by now;)
just noticed you can't add rep so emaginary + rep then i hope the thought counts =D

Last edited:
Ok this is gonna be a pain in the ass, so bare with me lol....

First of all, I will list my favouriteS and then try and pick just one.

Sunset Song:
First what caught me was the UNDERtones to the melody and the percussion... I love dry percussive! Then, in all honesty, I got lost in the metaphor of the lyric. Sunset song being the closure or end (is my interpretation) of a relationship or the passing of a loved one.
This lyric in particular, found ground with me -
I won't be martyred, on that cross where some say I belong...
Opinions are coffins, I'll just trust my feet to find the Sunset Song...

The small outro solo at the end is a perfect close, elegant without being snooty.
Is it just me, or is he heavily influenced by black music (blues/jazz-rock)?

Where the Drunkards roll:
Ok this song had me from the get-go! The light-hearted play of the string, to the almost folk-tale style of the whole piece. Again, I don't know much about this guy, BUT, he makes me feel like I'm near a loch of some sort in the days of William Wallace with this track or on a dock with some pirates and a few 40oz bottles of Cap'n Jack Morgan :D
It's feels very brotherly, the licks and melody as a whole feel almost completely improvised yet it all sits so well...

Shootout the lights:
Ok, first of all... OMFG @ 2:00 onwards! That is awesome! Technically, not so, but it's the execution that matters! WOOOOOOOOOOO~
This is a perfect unplugged track, and he is very effective with his use of crescendo, which obviously goes a long way to portraying the somewhat confused mood of this song/poem/ballad... whatever you wanna call it, it sure is a purty piece of phonic art and very expressive! Although most of his songs are strong with emotion this one and particularly "Sunset song" felt very personal to me.

I wanted to add "Persuasion" and also "A Heart Needs a Home" BUT solely because of the fact he was accompanied to a far greater extent than the other 3 I selected, I felt it was kinda unfair, especially considering this is my introduction to the man's work (by the way, "A Heart..." is a wonderful song imo, WONDERFUL! Would I go so far as to guess it's your favorite? Hmmmm....).

Based on this, I am FORCED to declare my love for "Sunset Song".
To me, this song is poetic. You can feel the chord progressions, you know where he's going to go before he goes there. The message of the song connects directly (to me anyways).
It was a harsh pick between this and "shootout" but, "Sunset" for me is so introspective... a song that brings very deep thought and that kind of music should be clasped tightly in both hands, imo.

My pick:

Sunset Song.

ps: this guy seems like he draws from many influences, but I swear I can hear a bit of the kinda fusion of sounds that Elvis was successful with (country-rock mashed with blues/jazz etc).

pps: GREAT thread! :thumbup:

Ok this is gonna be a pain in the ass, so bare with me lol....

First of all, I will list my favouriteS and then try and pick just one.

Sunset Song:
First what caught me was the UNDERtones to the melody and the percussion... I love dry percussive! Then, in all honesty, I got lost in the metaphor of the lyric. Sunset song being the closure or end (is my interpretation) of a relationship or the passing of a loved one.
This lyric in particular, found ground with me -

The small outro solo at the end is a perfect close, elegant without being snooty.
Is it just me, or is he heavily influenced by black music (blues/jazz-rock)?

Where the Drunkards roll:
Ok this song had me from the get-go! The light-hearted play of the string, to the almost folk-tale style of the whole piece. Again, I don't know much about this guy, BUT, he makes me feel like I'm near a loch of some sort in the days of William Wallace with this track or on a dock with some pirates and a few 40oz bottles of Cap'n Jack Morgan :D
It's feels very brotherly, the licks and melody as a whole feel almost completely improvised yet it all sits so well...

Shootout the lights:
Ok, first of all... OMFG @ 2:00 onwards! That is awesome! Technically, not so, but it's the execution that matters! WOOOOOOOOOOO~
This is a perfect unplugged track, and he is very effective with his use of crescendo, which obviously goes a long way to portraying the somewhat confused mood of this song/poem/ballad... whatever you wanna call it, it sure is a purty piece of phonic art and very expressive! Although most of his songs are strong with emotion this one and particularly "Sunset song" felt very personal to me.

I wanted to add "Persuasion" and also "A Heart Needs a Home" BUT solely because of the fact he was accompanied to a far greater extent than the other 3 I selected, I felt it was kinda unfair, especially considering this is my introduction to the man's work (by the way, "A Heart..." is a wonderful song imo, WONDERFUL! Would I go so far as to guess it's your favorite? Hmmmm....).

Based on this, I am FORCED to declare my love for "Sunset Song".
To me, this song is poetic. You can feel the chord progressions, you know where he's going to go before he goes there. The message of the song connects directly (to me anyways).
It was a harsh pick between this and "shootout" but, "Sunset" for me is so introspective... a song that brings very deep thought and that kind of music should be clasped tightly in both hands, imo.

My pick:

Sunset Song.

ps: this guy seems like he draws from many influences, but I swear I can hear a bit of the kinda fusion of sounds that Elvis was successful with (country-rock mashed with blues/jazz etc).

pps: GREAT thread! :thumbup:

Profit you have earned my respect as a person who obviously knows something about good music (and is able to emotionally connect with songs in the way the song writer intended and is not afraid to say so and very eloquently I might say)!

Yes! RT draws from many influences for sure: a few other of his songs are more overtly influenced by country-rock or country and western I feel and if they turn up on YouTube I'll post them.

Thompson grew up in a musical family with a Scottish father and, I think, an Irish mother so was exposed to different musical influences from an early age and this Celtic heritage comes through in many of his songs.

Thank you for entering both competitions Profit and good luck! :)

1) to win the apartment you'll have to vote for a particular music video and guess which one I rate the best performance.

Voted for this one...

3. Oops!....I Did It Again:
lyrics: http://www.richardthompson-music.com/song_o_matic.asp?id=446

2) to win the second prize you have to choose the song/video you like best and give your reason why...I will choose the winner of this prize.

Simplez isn't it?

Same as above, reason simple, as it´s how it should be done & for some reason I think you agree with me hence this choice as your favorite aswell as mine... :)

OK, I've decided to do things a little differently for the next Spot Prize (200 peds) Competition that takes place soon on October, 7th.

In order to take some of the pressure off of you guys I'm going to give you 2 of the 3 questions in advance so you have plenty of time to research your answer.

I strongly advise you not to post your answer in this thread (until October 7th when I ask you to do so) as you will give your rivals an easier ride in the competition!

So just look up the answer to this question and make a note of it for the time being.

OK here it is:

Q1. Which Richard Thompson song has been covered by the following artists? :

Nanci Griffith

The Kennedys

R.E.M.

Just to repeat, please do not publish your answer until October 7th when I'll be posting all 3 Spot Prize questions in this thread.

NB. if anyone does mess up and post the answer too early I won't disqualify them unless I think they've deliberately posted an incorrect answer to mislead others. ;)

Those of you who have been following this thread will know that there is another 'Spot Prize' competition this Wednesday, October 7th and that I've begun previewing the first of the three questions I'll be asking you to solve.

If you try to solve the first two questions before Wednesday you will have a very big advantage over those who enter on the day without this prior knowledge.

I've quoted the first of the three questions above and here I preview the second competition question:

Q2. Richard Thompson makes use of the "pick and fingers" technique (sometimes referred to as "h****d picking") where he plays bass notes and rhythm with a pick between his first finger and thumb, and adds melody and punctuation by plucking the treble strings with his fingers.

(please identify the style of picking...as you can see it is a 6 letter word beginning with the letter 'h' and ending with the letter 'd'.)

Once again, please do not post your answer below until I ask all three Spot Prize questions on Wednesday.

Just make a note of the answer ready for Wednesday when I reveal the 3rd and final question.

You should find the 3rd question fairly easy to answer if you've listened to all the competition songs and even more so if you've also looked at the lyrics to the 18 songs.

So my advice to you would be to pre-prepare your answers for the first two questions in something like Notepad then be ready to Copy and Paste into your post.

If you already know the answer to the 3rd question which will be a 'which Richard Thompson song do these lyrics appear' type question, and have successfully noted the answers to the first two questions you ought to be able to paste your post in a matter of seconds thus having a great chance of winning the 200 peds prize that will be awarded to the first avatar to post the correct three answers and without editing their post in any way (first thing you post is your answer, if you edit it you will be disqualified).

I'll be posting the three Spot Prize questions this Wednesday, October 7th, some time after 18.00 hours MA time and before midnight.

Thank you for continuing to follow this thread and good luck! :)

Just a reminder that there is another Spot Prize competition for 200 peds this evening.

I'll be giving 1 hour's notice before I post the 3 questions then it's first to answer them, without editing their post, that wins the 200 peds. :)

those of us who already won prize, cannot compete?

those of us who already won prize, cannot compete?

Those who have already won a spot prize can't win another, sorry, but can of course take part in the 'Win an Apartment' competition.

I've just posted another 3 RT videos in my Blog which I'll re-post here.

These are not part of the Win an Apartment competition though.

Sorry that embedding is disabled in the first song so you'll have to click through to YouTube to watch and listen to it...worth it though for the beautiful guitar solo alone!

Put It There Pal:
lyrics: http://www.richardthompson-music.com/song_o_matic.asp?id=278

(sorry, embedding disabled so you'll have to click through to YouTube to play)

[YOUTUBE]F5GshY7CEEA[/YOUTUBE]

Cold Kisses:
lyrics: http://www.richardthompson-music.com/song_o_matic.asp?id=288
(a song about suspicion, jealousy and almost stalking behaviour...listen to lyrics, typical Richard Thompson)

[YOUTUBE]ftvenY0zLMs[/YOUTUBE]

She Moves Through the Fair:
lyrics: http://www.richardthompson-music.com/song_o_matic.asp?id=267

[YOUTUBE]Yi3Ry75UYkc[/YOUTUBE]

Just a reminder that there is another Spot Prize competition for 200 peds this evening.

I'll be giving 1 hour's notice before I post the 3 questions then it's first to answer them, without editing their post, that wins the 200 peds. :)

do you have en estimated time =)?

You caught me with "She Moved Through the Fair", my first experience with that song came from Van Morrison. One of my favorite artists. While looking through YouTube, some time ago, to see if there was ever a live performance of this, I came across another rendition, this one performed by another great guitarist. And, he is playing in the style you asked for your number 2 question as well.

The quality of this film is not great, but the performance surpasses that, anyway... :cool:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqzFzXCfaSc[/YOUTUBE]

You caught me with "She Moved Through the Fair", my first experience with that song came from Van Morrison. One of my favorite artists. While looking through YouTube, some time ago, to see if there was ever a live performance of this, I came across another rendition, this one performed by another great guitarist. And, he is playing in the style you asked for your number 2 question as well.

The quality of this film is not great, but the performance surpasses that, anyway... :cool:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqzFzXCfaSc[/YOUTUBE]

Yes I was a big Led Zep fan also! :cool:

Competition thread though for Richard Thompson songs please. :wise:

Only a mild rebuke though as at least you've posted another great guitarist. ;)

Oh, just noticed your Van Morrison reference also! :thumbup:

The Spot Prize questions will appear below in approximately 1 hour's time!

that didn't help at all:D just made it worse

heh heh yes, it's all down to speed so I can imagine that gets the adrenaline going!

Just a quick reminder of some key rules:

* your forum identity must be linked to your avatar and the prize must be collected by your avatar

* you only need to get the 3 answers down in your answer post, it doesn't have to be perfect grammar...but I'll use my discretion as to whether I think you've got the answers correct, or not, if there is any ambiguity and my decision on the winner is final

* any edited posts will be disqualified

* anyone who has previously won a spot prize in this thread is not eligible to win this or any other spot prizes

* if you don't win don't get disheartened...you may get lucky and win the apartment or a second prize! :)

Spot Prize Competition for 200 peds:

Q1. Which Richard Thompson song has been covered by the following artists? :

Nanci Griffith

The Kennedys

R.E.M.

Q2. Richard Thompson makes use of the "pick and fingers" technique (sometimes referred to as "h****d picking") where he plays bass notes and rhythm with a pick between his first finger and thumb, and adds melody and punctuation by plucking the treble strings with his fingers.

(please identify the style of picking...as you can see it is a 6 letter word beginning with the letter 'h' and ending with the letter 'd'.)

Q3. The following lyrics are from which Richard Thompson song?

You said, if I hold my breath
Dive down deep enough
I might grow fins
Seems to me I've held my breath
Held my breath to please you
ever since

First unedited post below that gives all 3 correct answers (subject to rules above) will win 200 peds.

Good luck! :)

Q1: Wall of Death

Q2: Hybrid Picking

Q3: Sunset Song

Q1.
Wall Of Death

Q2.
hybrid picking

Q3.
Sunset Song

Well that was amazing, you must have got your answer in within 20 seconds! :eek:

Very tough on Aegyen who once again got the right answers but a split second too late.

I wrote a longer post but accidentally deleted it but I'll post more details soon.

Congratulations Coreenyarr it looks like you're the winner of 200 peds...please pm me! :)

1: Wall of Death
2: Hybrid Picking
3: Sunset Song

:)

pm sent to winner. :)

If I can afford it I'll run another Spot Prize before the Apartment Competition closes on October 28th.

Many thanks for your interest guys and please keep an eye on this thread ! :wtg:

If I can afford it I'll run another Spot Prize before the Apartment Competition closes on October 28th.

Many thanks for your interest guys and please keep an eye on this thread ! :wtg:

TY all, arrangements made with oracle :)

errr i'll be in egypt by then will this affect anything :D?

Back