Would you like EU be ported to other Platforms/OSes ?

Would you like this game be ported to other platform/OS ?

• I don't care, and "What does platform/OS means?"

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Bind this game exclusively to Microsoft forever ! I'm an MS Windows reseller.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I wish run this game on Linux without any special tricks like Wine

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I wish run this game on my Mac

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I wish run this game on other (exotic) platform / under other OS.

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Biased polls are stupid. :rolleyes:

Sry, but your poll is unusable, since you attach your own opinion to all the options.

Biased polls are stupid. :rolleyes:

Sry, but your poll is unusable, since you attach your own opinion to all the options.
True .....simple answers without comments would be much better .
My answer would be
'I don't care' ......but I do know what a OS is !!! I would still play if OS / environment changed assuming they didn't screw up the games structure.

p.s. I bought a BBC micro so could play Elite lol

Last edited:
no no option so cant vote :D

one thing.. plz don't make it on consoles.. i don't want console noobnerds here :p

My answer would be
'I don't care' ......but I do know what a OS is !!! I would still play if OS / environment changed assuming they didn't screw up the games structure.
1st option is meant to be for ppl who dont care and for ppl who dont know what an OS is. Even for ppl who both dont care and dont know... :)

The poll is pretty rubbish because of the bias in the options, but IMO, I have always felt that gaming machines are generally windows based...I doubt that we will get many more logging on with aid of a mac. Since windows dominates the market, how about we try getting more people joining? If MA cannot see us getting more players if we opened up EU to more OS's, it won't happen-But personally, I just want Vista to be fully supported.

Oh yeah, and I thought that cryENGINE 2 was windows only? So it wouldn't work anyway once the switch happens.

no no option so cant vote :D

one thing.. plz don't make it on consoles.. i don't want console noobnerds here :p

But I want to play eu on my Wii! Sweating would be pretty cool :) 'Look a mob!' (Waves arms wildly to suck up that sweat!) *schhhhuuuuuuuuup.......DING*

Poll is useless because of the loaded question/answers

It might be nice to have other OS versions available, but given the trouble MA seem to have getting just the one version working stable and bug-free, I think I'd rather they concentrate on getting the windows client right before looking at developing others

The poll is pretty rubbish because of the bias in the options, but IMO, I have always felt that gaming machines are generally windows based...I doubt that we will get many more logging on with aid of a mac. Since windows dominates the market, how about we try getting more people joining? If MA cannot see us getting more players if we opened up EU to more OS's, it won't happen-But personally, I just want Vista to be fully supported.

Oh yeah, and I thought that cryENGINE 2 was windows only? So it wouldn't work anyway once the switch happens.

But I want to play eu on my Wii! Sweating would be pretty cool :) 'Look a mob!' (Waves arms wildly to suck up that sweat!) *schhhhuuuuuuuuup.......DING*

bah wii is crap. only good thing with that thing is the new controller that was innovative :)

I want EU to run on my Symbian-run N95. :yay: :yay:

yes it would be nice, but untill developers use somthing other than DirectX, which only available though windows, we are stuck with the current situation. Cryengine2 is apparently being ported to PS3 and Xbox (presumably isnt too dependent on DirectX then) so in theory they could do port to Linux which would be easier, but is there the demand? needs someone to pay them to do it and that isnt going to be MA.

I'd love EU to be playable on Mac also.

It was very acheivable especially considering the amount of graphical work in the recent VU's all that needed to be done was switch to OpenGL. Before the flamers start, yes I know its not THAT simple but compared to converting the DirectX 10 Flagship cryengine 2 well you know where I am going with this.

I am happy for it to live on windows for the benefit of cryengine 2. I only have XP on my system now for Entropia (had trouble with 3rd party progs in vista) so little will change for me.

The only hope for us *nix users is "Insert the name I have forgotten here" guys who are porting (not the right word) Direct X 10 to XP are also bringing dx10 goodness to *nix and mac users. That is of course if they succeed or manage not to get bought out before completeion.

I am a little surprised that I haven't seen ppl saying "I can play second life on linux, why not entropia"

My 2 pec

Yep.
All those who write programs limited to run on Windows work for MicroSoft against the progress.
If MS doesnt fund EU then EU funds MS. :)

Linux is made for penguins.
MAC is not a computer.
Microsoft forever!!!!! :yay:
'

'

'

;):laugh:

Good gaming PC > 1500 €

Good work PC/Notebook ~400 €

Good gaming console ~400 €

Everything not ported to consoles will die - end of line.

Are u insane ? :eek:

EU still runs bad on Windows and u want another platform/OS ???? (think of the poor MA ppl that take 1 week to answer a support case with copy/paste ... )

:laugh:

1st option is meant to be for ppl who dont care and for ppl who dont know what an OS is. Even for ppl who both dont care and dont know... :)

Yes that is my point and not or ...so no option for me ;)

:laugh: yeah, heard that 15 years ago. *looks around* yep, still making PC only games.

15 years back they said consoles could make pc games obsolete as possibility...

Now nearly every major game producing company has below 10% share (regarding business volume) of pc games with the games they create in comparison to the other platforms they create games on.

MS has given up on the standardization project games for windows.
The newest Windows has 30% less performance at every game than the old Windows XP.

Serious games have to be tested on > 1000 PC configurations to be bug free.

Willingness of game producers to create games on the PC is sinking rapidly.
Willingness of PC gamers to adapt to new technology the same.
Its not like it "could" happen - it already has...

Last edited:
I want it on my mac :girl:
But then again getting it on mac is possible with Bootcamp :)

Good gaming PC > 1500 €

Good work PC/Notebook ~400 €

Good gaming console ~400 €

Everything not ported to consoles will die - end of line.

I dont agree with that one, i think it will end up being the other way around.
That the console as it is nowadays wont be around for that many more years.

What i think will happen is this. The consoles will more and more be a unified base platform, ie it wont be x-box or wii, it will be all the same to make it easier on the developers to develop to just one platform, and also the consoles will be much more like a regular pc as a pc is able to do a lot more than a console.

I know that if they make it for Linux I never install windows on my PC again. I hate to think that I have to buy a computer with Vista.

Someone said that it works so bad on windows... is a waste of time to make it for other platforms... But moving to Open GL could actually be good for all.

I have always found the price comparison between PC an consoles laughable. 60% more households have a computer than a console. Sure enough the vast majorities of these are work/internet machines but they are still there.

So the comparison should not be for a whole PC vs console but a video card vs console.

Now then you go for graphics inequality between systems so to bring the PC down we will go for a low to mid range video card so the equation would look a little more like this.

Top Xbox AU$800
Mid range video AU$350

I have a small computer company that was running full steam for 8 years before the accident. I stiil provide machines for my friends. If you haven;t looked at prices lately you really should.

Full Brand new PC wil same if not slightly better graphics than an Xbox 360
AU$ 800 add another $200 and you get your self a 20" widescreen monitor. people always leave out the fact that what a console costs at the shop isnt its total cost. I have a Wii. The extras have cost almost as much as the machine and lets not forget the need for a $1500+ TV if you want decent graphics.

Finally the price of games. Console games are on average 20% more expensive than PC let alone the millions of games that are 100% free on a PC.

So in summary of my long rant. PC will never die out as a platform and will only improve as standardisation improves. And the modern console is MORE expensive than an equivalent PC.

The developer already has their hands full trying to simultaneously perform sustaining engineering on the existing game, game development, sustaining engineering on the game platform and developing the new platform... all of this for one OS/hardware platform.

Given the RCE nature of the game, open source isn't practical. That'd just be an invite for unscrupulous coders to come steal the money that we're depositing.

AG

Unscrupulous hackers have their hands full trying to take microsoft down LOL. If it was released on linux (which I am sure it wont) I guarantee it would NOT be opensource.

T
Given the RCE nature of the game, open source isn't practical. That'd just be an invite for unscrupulous coders to come steal the money that we're depositing.

AG

And why it should automatically be made open-source if it's ported to other platforms?

But overall i agree, with the current size of MA's dev team, i would rather prefer them to concentrate on one platform. However, if one day EU is ported to *nix, it would be the end of windows in my pc...

Full Brand new PC wil same if not slightly better graphics than an Xbox 360
AU$ 800 add another $200 and you get your self a 20" widescreen monitor. people always leave out the fact that what a console costs at the shop isnt its total cost. I have a Wii. The extras have cost almost as much as the machine and lets not forget the need for a $1500+ TV if you want decent graphics.
That's a wrong comparsion/argument. Of course you can upgrade your PC all the time and have new graphiccards on market every 3-6 months. But that's exactly the real problem with all PC games.

The developers, who make a game for PC, are simply stupid to optimze their game to a certain system (which is hard to archive). Usally developers always go to the state-of-the-art system aka newest graphic card support, features etc. in their games which are more and more hungry for performance for the max graphic quality. What these developers usually don't care enough is the performance of their game. They assume that the people who buy this game have a PC not older than 6 month at the point the game is released. Hence, if you have a PC which is older than 1 year, you'll usualy suffering on low performance or be forced to buy another graphiccard/CPU for >400$.

On a console on other side, you have a console and it's technical specs doesn't change for at least 4 years. Thus, everygame developed on a console can exactly be optimzed to that console, it's GPU and capabilities. So in order to get better graphics and effects, more optimization is needed and the games are made to get the most out of the hardware. That's one reason why games on Console still look pretty good or better than a comparable PC with similar equipment. Just as example, the PS2 was runing with a ~300 MHz CPU and had (in some case) better graphics than a equal 1.4 Ghz PC at that time, because the games could be perfectly optimized to the CPU of the PS2.

Back at Topic:
At current time and in near future, it's impossible to port Linux, because Gambryo as well as the Cry2 Engine both are based on DirectX and DirectX Windows specific. Of course you can try to run PE in the wine emulator or some other win emu under linux, but that's not actually what could be called "a port", since this works with most windows stuff and it's far from being perfect.

So unless, MA starts using a OpenGL engine, there won't be any ports in near future.

Unscrupulous hackers have their hands full trying to take microsoft down LOL. If it was released on linux (which I am sure it wont) I guarantee it would NOT be opensource.

That's one pretty common wrong assumption of people who lack of knowledge on open source. Closed source doesn't make your software any more secure then open source.

Making a system secure by "closed source" only gives a WRONG ILLUSION of security. It's called security by obscurity. Indeed, open source projects are in generell more secured than closed sourced, because experts easier spot security holes and bugs and can fix or produce a patch and submit it to the developers to implement it, while in closed source only the company can get such a fix. So less eyes/experts who can work on this, makes it indeed less secure if closed source.

Most of the encryption algorythms are openly known and open to everyone. Does this makes it less secure? Hell, no. Is SSL considered as unsecure, because there is an open source implementation for it for Apache Server? No. A good security system doesnt depends on obscurity to be secure.

Second Life Client is Open Source (Server not yet). Does it makes it less secure? No. Indeed, many of the fixes and imrpovements to the client, came from people who are contributing to the project and do not work for Linden Labs.

Does that mean MindArk has to go open source to? No. It's purely their own decition, if they want make it open source or not.

Should they make it opensource? No, not really. Indeed it's even competly impossible for them to make the Client Opensource at the moment being, because both Cry2 Engine as well as the old Gambryo Engine are comercial ones and MindArk only has a license to work with (maybe even to modify the engine), but they aren't allowed to give the source aways to anyone.

I would like EU to be ported, but I think it would cost MindArk and the community a lot of money in the long run, It would also take a while... Just my 2 cents...

@Tseng

I agree with almost all you have said. +rep for your comprehensive post. a couple of things though.

Hence, if you have a PC which is older than 1 year, you'll usualy suffering on low performance or be forced to buy another graphiccard/CPU for >400$.

Based on experience I would say 3 years not 1. just because you have to have your settings on low doesn't mean the graphics are worse than on a console. This is especially true when you are heading toward the 3 year cycle. This line can get a little blurred when there is a major architecture change eg. directX versions. I consider these like new console versions. If you have the older hardware (keeping with the 3 year cycle) then you don't get to play with the new tricks. Unlike the console however, you can still play the game. just look at crysis.

more optimization is needed and the games are made to get the most out of the hardware. That's one reason why games on Console still look pretty good or better than a comparable PC

Very true, Note my statement that things will only improve when PC hardware standardisation improves. Some of their so called optimizations are a big stretch on the word. Take rainbow 6 vegas for example. It looks quite good on console, it also runs very well on older PC's. The reason for this is how they handled reflections. Unlike the majority of PC games it doesn't do the resource intensive reflection calculations They used textures that look like a reflection. A beautiful example of this is the section where you crawl between the cars at night on a neon studded street when you come across a car, you look at the reflection of a beach in daylight. So while a quick glance the game looks very good, on closer inspection it leaves you wanting. This game has two good examples. The other is that it was a direct port to PC meaning that same reflection dodgieng is on the PC version. While I was quite upset about this alot of low end PC users were very happy due to its high performance on their system. So alot of the so called optimizations can be translated to PC albeit at the expense of those with good hardware.

That's one pretty common wrong assumption of people who lack of knowledge on open source. Closed source doesn't make your software any more secure then open source.
My statement wasn't commenting on security at all.Just that MA's business practices suggest that they will never go open source. I am fully aware of how open source works and the reason why I use linux is because of the dramatically improved security of its open sourced nature. I am actually a developer on one of linux's bigger 100% open source community built games. You can verify that easily enough if you wanted to look :) So in short my knowledge is pretty good when it comes to open source.

So essentially we are on the same page, just difference in views on time frame. Perhaps I should be more clear next time?

Im vote for mac os, and hope i will able to play in near future on my powerbook:rolleyes:

Back