You CANNOT say Droid!!!

Of course I can say Droid.
DroidDroidDroidDroidDroidDroid
You always can, there is no issue with that. You can say "MacDonald's" as much as you like. You can't use it as identifier for your own company or product if someone else already claimed it, that's the issue. How stringently this is interpreted varies greatly throughout the world, or even within the same jurisdiction. The legal stuff in this area is a true minefield and often so surprisingly dumb one wouldn't have thought it possible.

How stringently this is interpreted varies greatly throughout the world, or even within the same jurisdiction. The legal stuff in this area is a true minefield and often so surprisingly dumb one wouldn't have thought it possible.

Which is why, most of the time, it is better to be safe than sorry.

These cases are sometimes seemingly arbitrarily ruled against the "smaller party".

Either way, it would be smart to be a bit careful.

Reactions: San
amazing what creativity the mind can conjure up while down time...

Droid, droid, droid. Bit like Beetlejuice, if I say it enough times a team of lawyers from Disney will show up 😁

Individual words are not protected by copyright. Writing that person X is being chased by “droids” would be copyright infringement only if it seemed that those droids were specific Star Wars characters (BB-8, C-3PO, R2-D2, etc.)

Not sure of the specifics but there was a court case or at least a legal battle over Hello Games calling No Man's Sky as such because Sky... Sky also forcd MS SkyDrive to be renamed OneDrive (which annoyed me cause it was cloud storage and where are clouds? in the Sky).

Taylor Swift also went after people for short combos of words like "this sick beat" IIRC.

In short big corps can be scumbags.

This all said, not sure if there is prior art on the word Droid before Starwars and they have even marketed entire series (Droids cartoon/comic) with the name). I've not heard it used outside of Starwars probably for the good reason that most DO associate it with Starwars so don't want to, but also because, as a shortening of Android, it isn't correct anyhow since the Starwars vernacular seems to refer to any self autonomous robot as a Droid, including the actual Androids such as C-3PO.

I have heard of makers on youtube, e,.g. James Bruton use the phrase Droid but I think that's normally only been in the context of building their own versions of Droids from Starwars or, at worst, something closely resembling or inspired by robots from Starwars. Everything else is referred to as robots.

In conclusion, don't really think MA or partners should use the term in Entropia. Even if legally it's dubious it just sounds weird outside of Starwars,

Wistrel

How many royalties are paid to the musicians for the music playing on any given planet or moon daily?

How many royalties are paid to the musicians for the music playing on any given planet or moon daily?
NEVERDIE pays royalties i think to Motörhead in the form of land area taxes but I could be wrong

or maybe Lemmy of Motorhead is the real owner of RT ?
at least has a castle........:)

NEVERDIE pays royalties i think to Motörhead in the form of land area taxes but I could be wrong
wouldn't be so concerned with Neverdie... more about those other guys that own both a planet and a moon, etc.

obi-wan-kenobi-these-are-not-the-droids.gif

You can all relax, Oleg created the thread below in 2015 with the same description as we have now in 2023.

'The extra height, long reaching laser blades and thin profile of the Second Entity make it one of the most difficult droids on Calypso to destroy.'

That description of 🤖 was there many years before that, in fact, since they first arrived on Calypso.

Well Apple tried to sue a german kindergarden with the Name: Apple Tree, guess what Apple lost.

If any company use a comon word as their brand, you have fairly good chance to win at court against them.

As the term Droid used as shortform of Android is much older than Lucas Arts and Disney, I doubt they will win a lot when it goes to court.

Well maybe I should start a new Company and name it Chair, and then sue any producer of chairs for breaking trademark rights. LOL

Its not how it really works. So its not that easy for Disney.

You can all relax, Oleg created the thread below in 2015 with the same description as we have now in 2023.

'The extra height, long reaching laser blades and thin profile of the Second Entity make it one of the most difficult droids on Calypso to destroy.'

That description of 🤖 was there many years before that, in fact, since they first arrived on Calypso.
Just because they’ve been using trademarked materials for years without being noticed doesn’t mean it’s allowed

Well Apple tried to sue a german kindergarden with the Name: Apple Tree, guess what Apple lost.

If any company use a comon word as their brand, you have fairly good chance to win at court against them.

As the term Droid used as shortform of Android is much older than Lucas Arts and Disney, I doubt they will win a lot when it goes to court.

Well maybe I should start a new Company and name it Chair, and then sue any producer of chairs for breaking trademark rights. LOL

Droid is not a common word and is not shorthand for android, that’s the issue here. A droid only and always means star wars robot

Just because they’ve been using trademarked materials for years without being noticed doesn’t mean it’s allowed
I know, but it means I am 97% sure they will get away with it.

The issue that I thought would get Entropia shut down was the Boorum Male introduction when this game was legally playable for 13 year olds.

Was only altered a few years ago.

I am still amazed it is in-game but then again I am 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 not 🇸🇪

Droid is not a common word and is not shorthand for android, that’s the issue here. A droid only and always means star wars robot
Im sorry you are wrong

Mari Wolf used the word in her story "Robots of the World! Arise!" in 1952. which is 23 years before star wars was wrote

Google its your friend...

Jokes aside tho what is the point of all this? What do you aim to accomplish here?

Im sorry you are wrong

Mari Wolf used the word in her story "Robots of the World! Arise!" in 1952. which is 23 years before star wars was wrote

Google its your friend...

Jokes aside tho what is the point of all this? What do you aim to accomplish here?
Google is your friend, you’ll find the answer to your question if you Google Lucas arts ownership over the use of droid

Google is your friend, you’ll find the answer to your question if you Google Lucas arts ownership over the use of droid
When I said you where wrong I legit ment the text that I had quoted. I understand they own the use of the word droid but again google...

"Can I use the word droid?

Individual words are not protected by copyright. Writing that person X is being chased by “droids” would be copyright infringement only if it seemed that those droids were specific Star Wars characters (BB-8, C-3PO, R2-D2, etc.)."

When I said you where wrong I legit ment the text that I had quoted. I understand they own the use of the word droid but again google...

Individual words are not protected by copyright. Writing that person X is being chased by “droids” would be copyright infringement only if it seemed that those droids were specific Star Wars characters (BB-8, C-3PO, R2-D2, etc.)."
Mate you wont won with someone who dont accept any facts. 😀

You are too young guys.
if you were as old as i am you would never loose your time arguing with a woman.. she will win....

Honestly... I wonder what these people tell their children they do.

"Well Maddy... say someone does something useful for the community; like open up a nursery to look after children when their parents are at work"
"Yes Daddy?"
"Well, if they happen to name their nursery after a fruit, I help some very rich people try to take all their money off them"
"..."
"That way... the rich people get richer and nobody gets a nursery so the poor people have to stay home and look after their children., That way they can never be a threat to the wealth of the rich people"

You are too young guys.
if you were as old as i am you would never loose your time arguing with a woman.. she will win....
Not win but make a fool of herself but your kinda right, no point in arguing with them :)

It’s not the word that’s the issue, they are using a droid in every aspect that it is copyrighted, it’s in a video game: check. It’s a robot called a droid: check, it’s in a sci-fi: check.
Lucas arts has the use of droid copyrighted in entertainment as a robot. Sure you could call a dog a droid fine but calling a sci-fi robot in a space video game a droid is under their copyright

Lucas arts copyright of the word droid applies

- Lucas Entertainment Company, for interactive entertainment software, toy action figures, and games
- Lucasfilm Ltd. for audiovisual entertainment in the field of edutainment and entertainment via global computer networks, and for providing news and information programming in the field of edutainment and entertainment relating to motion picture films.

Last I checked entropia falls under that category listed

There’s no winning here, if you don’t think this is copyright abuse then don’t worry about it. I and others think it is. Everything beyond that is a back and forth for our amusement, if you’re not enjoying this back and forth feel not to engage :)

Back