Your opinion on reputation system?

How do you find reputation system?

• It affects my opinion and its fun.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • It affects my opinion though I dont like it.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • It doesnt affects much but its fun.

Votes: 81 54.0%
  • It doesnt affects and I dont like it.

Votes: 27 18.0%

• Total voters
Essi said:
Weird... starting post of this thread is my most negatively rep'ed post :confused:

Did they give reasons why they neg repped you? Cuz I can't see any reason.

Apart from sarcasm that is, but neg rep for this, nooooo.

EDIT, I would like to poeple to have to put a reason, as I get rep without a message sometimes in a thread that I have had a few posts.

My point is this. The rep system is fundementally flawed. People get all bent out of shape about neg rep'd yet it doen't even effect your reputaion but a fraction of positive. And yes, it makes me emotional of the subject. Why? Because every rep thread that comes about turns into a DD-is-an-asshole thread. If this were the case, in a properly functioning rep system, don't you think I would have one of the worst reps out there?

DD
:evilking:

EDIT: And yes, I keep fighting and clawing with the rep discussion because I am accosted everytime it comes up. I will not lay back and let people badmouth me unwarranted.

Devil Doll said:
My point is this. The rep system is fundementally flawed.

Like any artificially implemented rep system. Pretty much the reason why one is missing in PE Im sure.

Back to my original point, if you take my rep as an example, I am one of the highest repped ppl here. Yet I am arguably (or maybe not) one of the most, shall I say, "contraversial" posters as well. Does my "positive" rep really reflect how I am viewed on this forum, or, is the system flawed?

I think most rep comes from saying something funny, weird or nasty.

If you write a great article you will get rep. But its way harder to write great article every day when comparing saying something "cool" etc every day.

I guess rep can be seen more like "how much your posts are generally liked" or such. It really means that even a total jerk can have great reputation if people find his/her posts amusing.

(And no Im pointing fingers to anyone.)

IMO the rep system is a form of social control. If you aren't a fanboy then every post has the potential of drawing a neg rep. Personally, I don't care. I sleep very well every night regardless of whether someone thinks my post was too negative or too off-topic.

But for some, they might not post because they are worried that they might get a neg rep. And when people don't post because they are worried free speech is affected. Neg rep should only be given if someone posts something that would be considered libel IRL.

Reactions: kel
thoreau said:
But for some, they might not post because they are worried that they might get a neg rep. And when people don't post because they are worried free speech is affected. Neg rep should only be given if someone posts something that would be considered libel IRL.

if someone is worried about neg reps they prolly write something that they know probably will draw neg reps. And thats just as irl, if you know someone will yell at you for doing something you might not do it. The power of shame.

Essi said:
I have wondered this reputation system a bit...

First of all a poll how much attention you pay to it. And then when do you use it (pls post replies)?

I have seen people giving good reputation when...
  • they agree on opinions
  • they agree on facts
  • they think post is very well and thoughtfully written (~good quality)
  • they find post useful or interesting
  • they are amused/entertained by it

and giving bad reputation when...
  • they disagree with poster on opinions
  • they disagree with poster on facts
  • they find post stupid or worthless spam

I wonder these myself because I dont think I would give bad reputation to someone just because of opinion difference (as long as its well reasoned and not hateful etc... you get the picture). Also I wouldnt maybe give reputation for amusing posts which doesnt have more benefit to community than general jokes. I guess I see reputation here as "how well this person contributes to the discussion + how credible s/he is".

Whats your opinion?

I give reputation for the most part like you do, while I find it easy giving good rep for most things I take it very seriously giving bad rep.

I will not give bad rep just because one has opinions feelings that are different then my own.

so far only gave out two neg reps. the last one being that scammer with the virus program. It has to be pretty bad for me to give out an neg. rep.

Reactions: kel
When i strongly agree with someone or the post is really interesting or even when it makes me laugh i give +rep :cool: and i've never gave -rep :D

I completely agree.....

Svetlana said:
I give good rep for the reasons you listed.
I NEVER give some1 a bad rep if I simply disagree with their statements... I disagree often with ppl but I would never hold that against some1 :)

Bad rep I reserve for some1 who is being a flat-out jerk ;)

Title says it all! :wise:

high rep just means you talk to much and play to little :D

Back