Question: Please help with building a new PC

ok thank you very much :),
the HD 4870 would be fine with the nforce board if i was the only have 1?

now i need to find me a case, do you have any suggestions on a case which looks ok, does the job and tool free?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/118268 - was thinking this one possibly because of the USB being at the top and my pc being down by my feet but it doesn't have the tool free thing, what do you think?

Yes, the ATI card will work on that other nForce board. But you could always buy a second cheaper card to put in crossfire if you got the one I suggested.

Like a 4850 or 3870.

And this case might be a bit better for ya.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/115479

oh right, i was always under the impression you had to have 2 of the same cards to do SLI/ Crossfire

Also, do you suggest that case because it is cheaper so would fit to my budget more? i was thinking that i should get a case this time which i would be able to stick with for a few upgrades in the future, my current one is...well rubbish.

Last edited:
wow nice thread!

I learned something new as well! I also always assumed that in order to SLI you had to have 2 of the same gfx cards. So with say an 8800gtx and 9800 could be used together in SLI?

Thoughts about what's been said so far:

DDR3 vs DDR2: For system memory the difference is negligable. However, for video cards there is a much more dramatic difference and the cost differential is not that big right now (at least here in the states).

CPU Heat Sink/Fan: Stock is fine for non-overclockers in a typical setting. Some sites like to push fancy coolers because it serves their own interests. In short, it's 90% hype, 10% substance. On a budget, the only reason to get an 3rd party cooler is if you get a REALLY good deal on a guaranteed OEM CPU (they don't come with the stock cooler).

Vista: with newer hardware, vista rocks. It's the only way you'll see true DX10+ performance gains, which will come into play a lot more with 'Crytopia.

Video cards: the past two months have seen dramatic changes in the vid card landscape. This will make doing your homework vital -- visit toms hardware (www.tomshardware.com) and it has some comparisons and recommendations with price/performance leaders in multiple categories. Beware of driver issues, and consider SLI down the road as an incremental upgrade.

SLI: For two different cards to work together, they *should* be of the same chip family (for SLI), for crossfire, I believe they really do need to be the same, but I could be wrong (toms hardware would say...).

Hard Drives: Get a big one (lol). Use separate partitions for your OS and Games and such to help keep clutter down. EU isn't very sensitive to disk clutter though so this is just a general thing. A separate partition for the swap drive is also nice, but unless it's on a different drive entirely you won't achieve measureable differences with this (and even then, the dedicated drive has to be at least as fast as your new drive...). So, a cheap, small fast drive plus a larger drive = option cost comparison.

CPU type: AMD is my favorite, and is usally the price/performance leader although this isn't always true (depends on the deals, but Intel doesn't seem to offer as many). EU will not benefit much from multi-core, but it's a good option to look for, especially with Vista (not so much with XP).

Memory: Corsair is indeed really good price/performance wise. It often performs well above the labelled speeds, but if you boost it be SURE to use heat spreaders and good case ventilation.

If you don't use NewEgg, you should at least check out the prices before going to pricewatch. I've been using Pricewatch for a long, long time, and when you know what you want already, it gives really good meaningful price comparisons and can save you money. If you do use NewEgg, you won't save the most, but the convenience will make up for the tiny amount you don't save. If every dollar/euro counts, you might want to try pricewatch.

Why don't I make specific recommendations? Because the best deals change too quickly for today's recommendation to be useful tomorrow. Instead, I'd say that you should spend your money along these general lines:

Vid Card: 35%
CPU: 25%
Mainboard: 15%
Hard Drive: 15%
Memory: 10%

Yes, that's just a general idea, the priorities are just a matter of saying all other things being equal, you should put more money into the "higher" priority item. If you had a lot more money, the priorities/layout would change, but for a "modest" amount, that ratio should be pretty close.

Last edited:
I just checked, Crossfire supports different types of cards, but it sets both cards to the lowest cards settings.

For SLI, it does something similar, the same processor family is required and the smaller amount of memory between the two cards is used.

Either way, buying two cards often gives better price/performance than a single card, but obviously doesn't have down the road upgrade options.

I handled this by building two identical systems, when I convert to SLI, I'll buy a new card and put it in one, moving the old card to the other machine.

oh right, i was always under the impression you had to have 2 of the same cards to do SLI/ Crossfire

Also, do you suggest that case because it is cheaper so would fit to my budget more? i was thinking that i should get a case this time which i would be able to stick with for a few upgrades in the future, my current one is...well rubbish.

Yeah, I did it to fit budget.. And that case will do you fine for years and years to come. That other case cost's a bunch more.. just because it has 2 more fans and a weird look lol. But it's truly not needed. Waste of money for most people.

And yeah, Crossfire can use different cards. To a certain extent.

But you'll really only need 1 card. 4870 will do ya fine :)

ok thanks for the info on the cross fire/SLI, I may rethink the mobo, i thought the nforce mobo was good because of all the features it has.

also in relation to what Traf Rellik newegg.com doesn't ship internationally or not as far as i can see.

ok thanks for the info on the cross fire/SLI, I may rethink the mobo, i thought the nforce mobo was good because of all the features it has.

also in relation to what Traf Rellik newegg.com doesn't ship internationally or not as far as i can see.

Yeah it's a shame, they have great prices..

You'd think they could just... you know.. ship it! I've had friends mail me things from USA.. so why can't Newegg? It's really annoying lol.

don't forget to shop around..

although e-buyer have some good deals they also seem to have a lot of end of line stuff at not such good deals (just like everyone else)

don't forget Maplins, for example: a 1GB 9600GT for £179 http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=224711&doy=search or a 512MB 9600GT for £150 http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=224710&doy=16m7 or PC World (yeah, I know.. yeeew!) a 9600GT overclocked for £150 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0958629359.1216247484@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdkadeejdddledcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=601904&category_oid=-31463

Shop around mate, is all I'm saying, ok you don't get the 'free' game but they are newer cards at similar price to what you have in mind.

btw for those that are looking for parts did you know that PC World have a discounted online price for 90% of products which.... you can collect from store!

So, you order online but 'collect at store' which means you pay online price not store price and you get it same day and don't pay shipping = kerrr-ching!

You don't have to provide card details as you pay at the store not online, you could even pay in cash just collect your item/s at the desk with your reference number and pay as you would if you walked in off the street (but cheaper :) )

:yay:

don't forget to shop around..

although e-buyer have some good deals they also seem to have a lot of end of line stuff at not such good deals (just like everyone else)

don't forget Maplins, for example: a 1GB 9600GT for £179 http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=224711&doy=search or a 512MB 9600GT for £150 http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=224710&doy=16m7 or PC World (yeah, I know.. yeeew!) a 9600GT overclocked for £150 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0958629359.1216247484@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdkadeejdddledcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=601904&category_oid=-31463

Shop around mate, is all I'm saying, ok you don't get the 'free' game but they are newer cards at similar price to what you have in mind.

btw for those that are looking for parts did you know that PC World have a discounted online price for 90% of products which.... you can collect from store!

So, you order online but 'collect at store' which means you pay online price not store price and you get it same day and don't pay shipping = kerrr-ching!

You don't have to provide card details as you pay at the store not online, you could even pay in cash just collect your item/s at the desk with your reference number and pay as you would if you walked in off the street (but cheaper :) )

:yay:

Those 9600GT's are overpriced and not worth it..

A few more euro and you can get a HD 4870 which is much more powerful than any 9600.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146415

I think i might go with the antec 900 as i quite like the look of it but the only thing putting me off is that i dont want it to look to tacky and plastic, but then this coolmaster is way too expensive:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128133

lol

Why dont u just get a costumized one at alienwear or dell?
You can get awesome gaming computers there

GL tho

Pink

GL tho

Pink

Alienware always seem expensive too me, plus it's more fun building your own, as long as there is no pain in the ass problems :p

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145748 I was thinking possibly this motherboard, what do you think?
This one supports Crossfire and i think about as many features as the Nforce and a higher Fbs

GL tho

Pink

Go look at an Alien Ware computer. Write down all the parts it has, then go look online for those parts...

You can build the same computer for MUCH less...

Alien Ware overprices just because your paying for a brand name. All they do is buy parts, just like Luu is doing.. Then they place the parts in their custom cases and raise the price a whole lot for pretty much nothing.

I'd rather put that extra money towards even better parts, instead of a brand name.

The more expensive TFT one has a LOT higher contrast ratio and faster response time.. It is a much better monitor.

You sure your need a new monitor? I'm still rocking an 8 year old CRT lol.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145748 I was thinking possibly this motherboard, what do you think?
This one supports Crossfire and i think about as many features as the Nforce and a higher Fbs

Yes that's a great motherboard... But there's only one problem..

It only has one PATA slot.

So if your current Hard drives, DVD/CD, don't have a SATA connector, you will only be able to use 2 of those things.. (1 hard drive/1 DVD Burner) Or w/e.

So you should check out if any of your Hard drives or disk drives have a sata connector.

well i would really like a new monitor but i think i decided on this one:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145315
its a bit cheaper and will do the job for me.
Also i think i have decided to stay with the Nforce Mobo as i could use an IDE slot for a HD.
I need to get a new CD/DVD drive as my old one doesnt read anything so thought i would get a sata one.

well i would really like a new monitor but i think i decided on this one:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145315
its a bit cheaper and will do the job for me.
Also i think i have decided to stay with the Nforce Mobo as i could use an IDE slot for a HD.
I need to get a new CD/DVD drive as my old one doesnt read anything so thought i would get a sata one.

Read back, I did some searching and found out it has 1 IDE slot. So you can hook up 2 IDE devices to it.

And yeah that monitor is more than fine.

ah ok. thanks.
hmmmm
this is hard....
I dont think i would use crossfire so was thinking about keeping the Nforce motherboard

ah ok. thanks.
hmmmm
this is hard....
I dont think i would use crossfire so was thinking about keeping the Nforce motherboard

The P5Q Deluxe is better than the Nforce one, and cheaper.

The P5Q Deluxe is better than the Nforce one, and cheaper.

Well in that case P5Q Deluxe it is :D. also a quick question i have an old sata HD, (so sata 1 i guess), and i have 2 cables for it and was wandering if they are fine on the new HD i am getting?

I will read reply in a few hours, im off to partay :wtg:

Thanks again:)

Well in that case P5Q Deluxe it is :D. also a quick question i have an old sata HD, (so sata 1 i guess), and i have 2 cables for it and was wandering if they are fine on the new HD i am getting?

I will read reply in a few hours, im off to partay :wtg:

Thanks again:)

Yes.. A SATA cable will always be a SATA cable :p.

The new motherboard will come with a bunch of SATA cables also tho. So no worries.

Go look at an Alien Ware computer. Write down all the parts it has, then go look online for those parts...

You can build the same computer for MUCH less...

Alien Ware overprices just because your paying for a brand name. All they do is buy parts, just like Luu is doing.. Then they place the parts in their custom cases and raise the price a whole lot for pretty much nothing.

I'd rather put that extra money towards even better parts, instead of a brand name.

Yeah, I agree many places put a large markup to put their name on it. I
have built several of my own systems in the past, it is always nice to get
the exact parts you want. Only major concern when building your own
system, is it does make warranties more difficult when things go wrong.

I just bought my last system this week, for my Birthday. 'The Computer
Place' that I usually buy the parts for building new systems, had some
good deals on build to order systems. Brought it home, got it added to
the home network and started loading up programs soon as I got it home.
I still have to get EU loaded, probably have to let it D/L part of the day
on Sunday, unless I get a good D/L speed.

The system I had built (for about $1400) had the following;

CPU: Intel Q9450 (2.66 Ghz) Quad Core
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-Deluxe
Ram: 4 GB (DDR2 800) (about 3.5 GB shows up in XP, but will go Vista someday ;))
Video: Nvidia 9800 GTX 512MB
HDD: 750 GB SATA (partitioned into C: D: E: drives)
CD\DVD Drive: 20X DVD+/-RW
Case: CoolerMaster 690 (though was looking at that expensive Cosmo)
O\S: Windows XP Professional
Warranty: 2 Years

Best of luck with your new computer.

Yeah it's a shame, they have great prices..

You'd think they could just... you know.. ship it! I've had friends mail me things from USA.. so why can't Newegg? It's really annoying lol.

The international shipping and tax rules get so screwed up, some companies just don't wanna mess with it. There is not enough margin in a lot of the stuff for them to make a profit on it.

The international shipping and tax rules get so screwed up, some companies just don't wanna mess with it. There is not enough margin in a lot of the stuff for them to make a profit on it.

Yeah I know.. But like. If you pay with Paypal for instance.. That's direct money.. The item is now payed for 100%.. Plus shipping across the border price.

Shouldn't it be shipped just like any other package sent from a firend?

Stupid laws.

I can think of a Good reason NOT to ship computer parts overseas Via the options available @ Newegg. Those carriers Do have a bad Rep when it comes to breaking stuff in International shipping. Last thing u want is you New PC part arriving DOA due to damage during shipping. Hard disks always Has the Biggest Risk for that. Newegg knows that. they will replace items if its inside the US broken on arrival. Another is Currency Exchange Rates from and to the US. as well as taxes.

Back