What does scopes and laser sights really do?

so i bought a laser sight and enjoying the red beam now where is a cat to tease ?? :laugh:

sad to hear ;)
clarification or changing on this kind of basic system should be prioritized as much as space improvement.
i may have laser sight solely just for fun then...thx for the reply !

And very expensive utility that does nothing.

And very expensive utility that does nothing.

are you real sure ??...my lovely starkhov has got one now its so cool :)
i think im living for this, gotta try it with my own cat x5 this weekend !

Last edited:
are you real sure ??...my lovely starkhov has got one now its so cool :)
i think im living for this :), gotta try it with my cat x5 this weekend !

Yes to not doing anything unless you want to torture creatures with a laser pointer.

This needs clarification once and for all.
And if normal scopes/lasers (w/o focus blow, crit dmg) have no use today when most people are using maxed weapons...then perhaps its time to "reinvent" them!

This needs clarification once and for all.
And if normal scopes/lasers (w/o focus blow, crit dmg) have no use today when most people are using maxed weapons...then perhaps its time to "reinvent" them!

but....but.... this could help the crafting and mining economy... and thats not a thing MA wants... obviously...

but....but.... this could help the crafting and mining economy... and thats not a thing MA wants... obviously...

Sure!

Also..looking at the text on the lasers

Arkadia: Points to increased ability to hit the target, however there has been no conclusive proof that this is at all true..at least not on maxed weapons.

Calypso: Improves the shooters aim...wtf does this even mean?! does it help me move the mouse better? or hit the next target button faster? :)

Sure!

Also..looking at the text on the lasers

Arkadia: Points to increased ability to hit the target, however there has been no conclusive proof that this is at all true..at least not on maxed weapons.

Calypso: Improves the shooters aim...wtf does this even mean?! does it help me move the mouse better? or hit the next target button faster? :)

I can't find it so quick, but MA did somewhere in time gave a little more information about those.
Not that it realy was needed IMO.
To me personaly it's clear what they do.
But ofc the benefits are so minor that it's up to everyone if they think it's worth using them.
And about the proof if they work or do anything, how about people do some testing themselves.
Why do people keep thinking that MA (or other players) should serve everything on a silverplate?

Why do people keep thinking that MA (or other players) should serve everything on a silverplate?

Because we are the customer?

If you go to a restaurant you'd expect to know what's on your burger and how it's cooked. Especially if you ask.

If you go to a restaurant you'd expect to know what's on your burger and how it's cooked. Especially if you ask.

Indeed, and most basic info (the menu) is well known by more experienced players.
Problem is when you ask 10 people for a opinion you will get 10 different answers, that's why its better to figure some things out on your own instead believing everything you hear.

And I would also not believe the restaurant on his word always ;)

I can't find it so quick, but MA did somewhere in time gave a little more information about those.
Not that it realy was needed IMO.
To me personaly it's clear what they do.
But ofc the benefits are so minor that it's up to everyone if they think it's worth using them.
And about the proof if they work or do anything, how about people do some testing themselves.

Here it is:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...s-and-laser-sights-really-do&highlight=lasers

If its clear to you what they do then please share :)

Edit:
This is clear to me:
- You can zoom with a scope.
- Lasers put a red/green dot on the target under the right conditions.
- Both scope and laser give what these days a minimal skill bonus.

And that is exactly what I will not do, because 50% of playerbase would agree, and other 50% will disagree.
So what would be the point to try to convince people anyway?

And MA gave the info that you need allready.

And info that is relevant today, does not have to be relevant tomorrow.
So you would need to adapt anyway again and again.

So either you see it or not, I can not realy help in that.

And the link you gave, I found that one also, but that was not what I was talking about, that is more about that they would adapt the info in item info.
But also not sure if that what I have in my mind was on forum or not.
Sorry my memory sometimes fail on me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And that is exactly what I will not do, because 50% of playerbase would agree, and other 50% will disagree.
So what would be the point to try to convince people anyway?

And info that is relevant today, does not have to be relevant tomorrow.
So you would need to adapt anyway again and again.

Ok we all have theory's and personal idea of how things work that cant be proven...
The point is that the item description needs to be updated and the community needs to be informed.

Here it is:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...s-and-laser-sights-really-do&highlight=lasers

Edit:
This is clear to me:
- You can zoom with a scope.
- Lasers put a red/green dot on the target under the right conditions.
- Both scope and laser give what these days a minimal skill bonus.

Just realized its the very same thread we are commenting in :)

"Apart from the advantageous visual information that you receive when using scopes and laser sights, such attachments affect your ability to aim, as explained in the Items Info. "

Bold part means absolutely nothing in this context ;)

such attachments affect your ability to aim, as explained in the Items Info. "

Well yes it does, just depends how you fill in that information.

Ok we all have theory's and personal idea of how things work that cant be proven...

And somthings can be proven, just need to do testing, and the ones that have tried to prove, well if as you will know there are always people that still don't agree.
And ofc there is nothing wrong with. As said, people don't have to blindly believe everything they hear.
It's just there is no point to try convince people that some things work as they do and how they do.

Try going to McDonald's and ask them the ingredients of that Big Mac sauce. Spoiler : they won't reveal it. Yet you can ask them to give you a rough idea of what it tastes like.

Just realized its the very same thread we are commenting in :)

"Apart from the advantageous visual information that you receive when using scopes and laser sights, such attachments affect your ability to aim, as explained in the Items Info. "

It means exactly what it says. It improves your ability to aim.
Shoot a target. You have four results possible :
- hit
- critical hit
- miss
- evade (dodge)

Hit, Critical hit and Miss all depends on you and your skills. Using optics on an unmaxxed weapon -which is the ones you can miss with- will reduce your misses, in other words, improve your ability to aim.

It will not reduce the target's evade, as it isn't a problem with your aim, it is your target's answer to your (correctly aimed) shot.

And somthings can be proven, just need to do testing, and the ones that have tried to prove, well if as you will know there are always people that still don't agree.

There as been many tests done about this. Your writing like this is the first time someone has raised the question ;)

My test was simple:
- Maxed gun with lasers+scope vs Same Maxed gun w/o
- Measured using entropia life client and result was 90% in both cases.

There is various tests like this going back to the early days of PE, search for a guy called "Recoda" who did many tests pre SIB weapon era.. and if I recall correct he concluded that for a none maxed none SIB weapon, there was indeed an improvement in hit rate using lasers....that is probably still the case I would think...however the norm these days is to only use maxed weapons.

Try going to McDonald's and ask them the ingredients of that Big Mac sauce. Spoiler : they won't reveal it. Yet you can ask them to give you a rough idea of what it tastes like.

Exactly, MA is McDonalds, they don't give you the recipe for their secret sauce either.

It means exactly what it says. It improves your ability to aim.
Shoot a target. You have four results possible :
- hit
- critical hit
- miss
- evade (dodge)

Hit, Critical hit and Miss all depends on you and your skills. Using optics on an unmaxxed weapon -which is the ones you can miss with- will reduce your misses, in other words, improve your ability to aim.

It will not reduce the target's evade, as it isn't a problem with your aim, it is your target's answer to your (correctly aimed) shot.

And this even goes deeper.

Your writing like this is the first time someone has raised the question ;)

Nah well that was not my intention.

It's just that the item info, and info that MA provided is more then enough to figure it out.

Nah well that was not my intention.

It's just that the item info, and info that MA provided is more then enough to figure it out.

Perhaps vaguely does for not maxed weapons...

Perhaps vaguely does for not maxed weapons...

You even have a slight advantage on maxed weapons.
But as said, everyone has to think for themselfs if it's worth the extra decay.
Because these days there are way better alternatives.

You even have a slight advantage on maxed weapons.
But as said, everyone has to think for themselfs if it's worth the extra decay.
Because these days there are way better alternatives.

The advantage on a maxed weapon is then the skill bonus and the possibility to zoom.
There is no "hidden" advantage or anything like that..magic loot perhaps?

the stats guy i know did extensive tests on this and his conclusion was: absolutely no! effect on maxed weapons. no higher hit rate, no higher skill gain. nothing.

the stats guy i know did extensive tests on this and his conclusion was: absolutely no! effect on maxed weapons. no higher hit rate, no higher skill gain. nothing.

As said before, the benefits are Minor, Very Minor, so decide if that decay is worth it to you or not.
I'm just not going to explain what I'm talking about. as that is not my task ;)
And 50 would agree, and 50% would disagree.

Hence why I actually never post, and just read here for entertainment.
It's just getting so freaking annoying to see indeed all those negative post mostly here.
But I just can't post any positive post, because off this, and ofc my knowledge that I gained over the years can't be explained in a few sentences. just read my SIG :)

Attachment Parameter Changes

-Skill Bonus on Attachments . The skill modification effect now have a clarifying tool tip. The attachment gives a bonus to the user's hit ability and it has full effect when the target is on maximum weapon range. When the target comes closer the effect decreases and it reaches its minimum effect when the target is in the immediate vicinity. Since the effect is variable the hit ability parameter display is not affected by the skill modification.
-New Parameter on Attachments . A new parameter has been introduced on laser sights and scopes. This new parameter gives the user a skill increase bonus when the attachment is attached to the tool. The skill increase bonus of the attachment will affect the skill that the tool affect. The number does not indicate an actual increase rate percentage but a higher number is better than a lower.

Source : https://account.entropiauniverse.com/news/pages/2010/06/21/7847/index.xml

Attachment Parameter Changes

-Skill Bonus on Attachments . The skill modification effect now have a clarifying tool tip. The attachment gives a bonus to the user's hit ability and it has full effect when the target is on maximum weapon range. When the target comes closer the effect decreases and it reaches its minimum effect when the target is in the immediate vicinity. Since the effect is variable the hit ability parameter display is not affected by the skill modification.
-New Parameter on Attachments . A new parameter has been introduced on laser sights and scopes. This new parameter gives the user a skill increase bonus when the attachment is attached to the tool. The skill increase bonus of the attachment will affect the skill that the tool affect. The number does not indicate an actual increase rate percentage but a higher number is better than a lower.

Source : https://account.entropiauniverse.com/news/pages/2010/06/21/7847/index.xml

There it is, should be enough info.
TY

There it is, should be enough info.
TY

the problem is just that it is not true. every single test made shows this. and its not the only time that MA just outright lies about features or uses false information. for example the "success rate" of 95% on crafting mashines on maxed sib bps. i know, that they cound near success in as a success to get their numbers up, but when i try to craft an item. and i dont have said item after that attempt, but instead have some broken shit that i might be able to reuse, that is not a (!!) success.
just imagine a factory worker that has to assemble stuff, but he just manages to assemble 30% correctly and 70% is just plain wrong and he needs to reuse the parts to assemble again... how will he explain that despite only having 30% of the items ready, he has a 100% "success rate"....

the problem is just that it is not true. every single test made shows this. and its not the only time that MA just outright lies about features or uses false information. for example the "success rate" of 95% on crafting mashines on maxed sib bps. i know, that they cound near success in as a success to get their numbers up, but when i try to craft an item. and i dont have said item after that attempt, but instead have some broken shit that i might be able to reuse, that is not a (!!) success.
just imagine a factory worker that has to assemble stuff, but he just manages to assemble 30% correctly and 70% is just plain wrong and he needs to reuse the parts to assemble again... how will he explain that despite only having 30% of the items ready, he has a 100% "success rate"....

And I would also not believe the restaurant on his word always ;)

Well we all know that the info can be sometimes indeed be weird.
But ofc you don't need to be Einstein to figure that out quick enough.
And use that learned info for future.

And also you can interpreted that 95% succes rate different. At least I do.

BTW did you do those test yourself, or from hearing it?
I never believe what anyone say's, I will do the test myself if I realy want to be sure.
I'm not saying that those test were done wrong.

Anyway, i'm going back to silence, and just hope that people will stop believing everything that they read here, and do some own research.

I gather my own data, and do the analyzing of it. That way at least I can be sure that it is my own fault when I would lose tons of PED

GL outhere ;)

Back