What does scopes and laser sights really do?

so what MA says is that scopes ONLY makes it easier to visually see stuff in the distance, or..!?

so what good is the lasers sights for then?

Are you serious? :silly2:

...A scope might be useful for tagging and checking Line-of-sight, but the laser sights are just for decoration.

The laser sights look AWESOME in screenshots! :laugh:

Aboo's the one who got the ball rolling retesting the attachments since VU10. I'm not really sure what the underlying cause is for MA to actually break silence (or at least say it would) on the issue. Pick one or more:
  1. The recognition that it screwed up by "accidentally" nerfing attachments at VU 10 and got caught at it. Aboo's thread verified that attachments don't improve your effective HA on unmaxed weapons (something that was believed to be the case and had a fair amount of data supporting it before VU 10) or increase your skill gain by anything close to the % skill mod, or increase effective range.
  2. The huge influx of support cases. Seems to me this has been done since the beginning of time so not very likely. Note that it's the reason MA gives; it's the most politically neutral one that wins it the most points out of this list.
  3. The separation of FPC and MA. FPC puts pressure on MA, who finally consents to address issue; alternatively, MA recognizes it needs to be more honest and above board in its actions as a reputable platform vendor.
  4. CE2 enables/simplifies making the attachments do things that MA would prefer they do or it simply wants to change them and this is a great excuse. Win points by addressing player concerns and get things changed to work the new way using what sort of works out to be the Magician's Choice. Win-win for MA. Instead of being raged at for changing things, it gets points for being up front.
  5. The tizzy fit thread where i try to disrupt the market and/or stop people from using attachments because they really appear to do nothing. Not really likely. As it turns out, people use them anyway because they look cool and or might give some mystical untestable advantage. Turns out that just as IRL, it's hard to incite a riot with factual debunking of anything steeped in superstition.

Did i miss any? Tin foil hats on, people: how many think that #4 is best answer?

#4 is pretty good, but never underestimate the power of a good tizzy fit ;)

my #6 would be, a sharp drop in deposits in the past 6 months has woken some people up at MA/PFC

or #7 the rest of MA/PFC is scared of hanne :p

#4 is pretty good, but never underestimate the power of a good tizzy fit ;)

my #6 would be, a sharp drop in deposits in the past 6 months has woken some people up at MA/PFC

or #7 the rest of MA/PFC is scared of hanne :p

Ahhh the Hanne. Definitely #7. :laugh:

Off topic and obvious, there's less females ingame so there's less demand. Just normal market forces at work.

Yes off topic, but sometimes it's the only way to get any notice.

The prices in EU are NOT the result of normal market forces!! There's a dude (or dudette) at MA that has TOTAL CONTROL over drop-rates and consequently has TOTAL CONTROL over prices.
Also, I'd like to see proof of your claim there are less female avatars than male avatars... and in any case, it still think that's irrelevant. The so-called Balance Manager should "fix" the market so there is no advantage to having a female avatar.

Apart from the advantageous visual information that you receive when using scopes and laser sights, such attachments affect your ability to aim, as explained in the Items Info. We have realized that this information is unclear today and you will therefore see an update of this information in an upcoming release.

They mean you miss a little bit more with them? :laugh:

I mean those were the test results... more misses, is that it? :confused:

I.

By MA.....

A previously given reply in a support case stated that a scope or laser sight “only affects the effective range of the weapon”. This was unfortunately an erroneous and poorly informed statement. We would like to apologize for publishing this misinformation and for any confusion caused by it.

Dont need to apologize for publishing this misinformation its standard.:lolup:

Rofl

is it possible to get money in return for this?

you are kidding right ?
how would you know how much a single person have spend peds,
for nothing !! nahh the workload would be enormus...and to be honest i even dont want the peds back...Yes you read right ;) i dont want the uesless spended peds back !

I want a good universe, game....what ever... where litle things become possible to make...drinks which boost your health/speed for a short time...lite games (shess,poker tables..ect) flowers you can pick up..trees you can climbe...that sort of thing.
To make it short variety in all aspekts...headshots make you blind for a sec...leg shots make you/animals walk slower...SRY OFtopic.

ONTOPIC : Lasers thats helps you to hit your target better !!!!!

Last edited:
Hopefully once all the dust settles scopes/lasers will do something meaningful. Id love to pull mine out of storage and use them, they have been sitting in storage for about a year now.

And hopefully they will end up doing something meaningful on maxed weapons, else they will stay in storage for many more years to come!

It's diificult in their position to give us info without revealing too much of how the game works.

This statement although on the face of it doesn't give much away but reveals all at another level ;)

From the statement I deduce lasers and scopes will work the same way they used to and will continue working in the same manner. The only change will be a description of the message we get on the item.

It's our understanding of how they work that may have been flawed. We thought they directly affected aim but I would theorise they don't directly affect aim but change another characteristic. I suspect our aim moves in a cyclical fashion as with other things in this game i.e. sometimes we will miss more when we are at the bottom of our "miss" cycle and hit more when we are at the top. Scopes and lasers may alter this cycle to our benefit, hence indirectly improve aim.

This theory fits all the facts imho and could even be tested but may need quite a large dataset on one single avatar firstly without scopes and secondly with. A large dataset would be required to determine if their is a cycle and how it behaves because this cycle could be quite long before it changes...

From the statement I deduce lasers and scopes will work the same way they used to and will continue working in the same manner. The only change will be a description of the message we get on the item.

The sh!t was bugged and didn't work properly. Community did extensive tests and proved it, now MA developers have to scramble to fix it.

Looking forward to proof of loot system bugs.

The sh!t was bugged and didn't work properly. Community did extensive tests and proved it, now MA developers have to scramble to fix it.

in effect i really think that all the tools built by the community are a real pain in the as$ for MA................. sometimes :rolleyes:

if that's the case, they screwed A LOT OF PEOPLE out of skills and earned a lot of ped on decay.

And are you surprised. Typical MA although they have chosen the wrong profession.It would fit better for them to be politicians. :D

This theory fits all the facts imho and could even be tested but may need quite a large dataset on one single avatar firstly without scopes and secondly with. A large dataset would be required to determine if their is a cycle and how it behaves because this cycle could be quite long before it changes...

The tests conducted have used thousands of shots to establish the average results which should be enough to show any effect they have. If they need a much larger data set then that to show that they do infact do anything then what they are actually doing is so small that you may as well not be doing anything at all anyway.

Did i miss something, why this now? :confused:
I thought it was confirmed that sights and scopes increased avarage hit and damage when you don't have the skill to max the weapon?

if that's the case, they screwed A LOT OF PEOPLE out of skills and earned a lot of ped on decay.

The skill gains is one of those aspects that have not been tested.

It's diificult in their position to give us info without revealing too much of how the game works.

This statement although on the face of it doesn't give much away but reveals all at another level ;)

I agree, it's like the reply we got from support recently about how amps work and how they do NOT affect what ores etc you can hit. Ie it's not the amps that makes you not able to hit certain ores with an amp, but the economy itself.

It's our understanding of how they work that may have been flawed. We thought they directly affected aim but I would theorise they don't directly affect aim but change another characteristic. I suspect our aim moves in a cyclical fashion as with other things in this game i.e. sometimes we will miss more when we are at the bottom of our "miss" cycle and hit more when we are at the top. Scopes and lasers may alter this cycle to our benefit, hence indirectly improve aim.

I dont agree with that the aim goes in cycles, except for the ups and downs due to the current skillevel, ie the levels when you get less skillgains when soon getting to a new level.

However i do think teh scopes/lasers do affect aim in a direct manner. What it does is to increase the chance to get an aim skillgain, and if people knew what aim meant you would also understand the benefit of using scopes and lasers ;)

Did i miss something, why this now? :confused:
I thought it was confirmed that sights and scopes increased avarage hit and damage when you don't have the skill to max the weapon?

There has never been any evidence that anything can affect average damage as far as I know. All the tests suggest damage is uniformly distributed between the min and max, regardless of attachments.

Pre-VU10 there were some tests that suggested sights and scopes improved your hit rate on un-maxed weapons, yes. However, post-VU10 it is a lot easier to perform these tests due to the chat logging and Miss messages, and test results from larger data samples have suggested that scopes and sights currently have no impact on hit rate either.

So either the old tests were too short, or perhaps more likely, since VU10 scopes and sights don't work in the way they used to.

I know why they didnt give a reason to what the scopes and sights do

MA have to file a suport case 1st then when suport get arounf to lookin at it they refer it to the design team then they will scratch there heads for a week then they will post a msg like this

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback. Your frustration is understandable, but we assure you that we consider the specific circumstances of each case individually and equally. You have been with us for a long time and you are probably aware that we can not discuss the core dynamic of Entropia Universe. Thanks for your patience and your participation in Entropia Universe.
Kind regards,
Entropia Universe Support

Evidence this... Test that... Blah Blah the other... Whatever...

MA/FPC has been found with THEIR hand in OUR cookie jar and now they are trying to figure out a way to minimise damage/fallout...

Call it anyway you like they are shafting us, the player base, any which way they can... :(

Evidence this... Test that... Blah Blah the other... Whatever...

Odd comment given the rest of your post. Without the tests we'd know nothing.

There has never been any evidence that anything can affect average damage as far as I know. All the tests suggest damage is uniformly distributed between the min and max, regardless of attachments.

Pre-VU10 there were some tests that suggested sights and scopes improved your hit rate on un-maxed weapons, yes. However, post-VU10 it is a lot easier to perform these tests due to the chat logging and Miss messages, and test results from larger data samples have suggested that scopes and sights currently have no impact on hit rate either.

So either the old tests were too short, or perhaps more likely, since VU10 scopes and sights don't work in the way they used to.

ah okey. Maybe we should flood the support with queastions demanding some clarification :)
I mean, this skill mod values most give us something.....?

The skill gains is one of those aspects that have not been tested.

Going by what they stated

Apart from the advantageous visual information that you receive when using scopes and laser sights, such attachments affect your ability to aim, as explained in the Items Info. We have realized that this information is unclear today and you will therefore see an update of this information in an upcoming release.

And other statements of the like. So sounds like the skill % increase is worthless at the moment and just text rather than function?

And other statements of the like. So sounds like the skill % increase is worthless at the moment and just text rather than function?
Well that all depends on HOW it works. It could just be that it influences so you get more aim skillgains for example.

Well that all depends on HOW it works. It could just be that it influences so you get more aim skillgains for example.

ah okey. Maybe we should flood the support with queastions demanding some clarification :)
I mean, this skill mod values most give us something.....?

Lol this thread retrogresses faster than a modified DeLorean. It's almost like you read the last few posts in the thread without reading the OP.

Lol this thread retrogresses faster than a modified DeLorean. It's almost like you read the last few posts in the thread without reading the OP.

ah, well i read the first pages, skipped the middle, read some in the end.:)
I didn't know about the test that was made about the scopes/sights, but have read that one now when i saw a link. Would be easier to understand what it was all about if the link to the test was at the start of the thread :p

read every single post :)

Back