Blood Moss and Next Island : What it means for FPC

Divinity

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Divinity Deth Undefined
I know this topic has been discussed before , but do take a moment to read it first to know what i am implying.

This is not a rant or a whine thread and i am not here to discuss the implication it has on miners/pk'rs/crafters.

What i want to understand is how it effects FPC ( Calypso) when a rare material is made so abundant in another planet.

1. As a Calypsian who loves being in Calypso, i just spend 1 week on Next Island , solely for the reason of getting Blood Moss. So that is an attrition of play time revenue from Calypso.

2. As to how abundant it is in NI , my avg 100 probe unamped run with tt finder got me minimum 10 ped of bm and sometimes went as high as 20+ peds in a run. That to me is a pretty high find rate for BM.

3. I know a lot of other miners who have moved from Calypso to NI for the same reason. Some have created sister/father/brother accounts as well because even with a new avatar they are getting the same amount of BM as someone with high skills. ( Kindly do not ask for names)

So my question is basically : Should FPC not be bothered by this?? Not about Blood Moss prices going down, not about miners/pk'rs being bothered, neither about crafters rejoicing but mostly about there loss of revenue from people who would otherwise not leave Calypso.

I cannot put mathematics to it , but is the increase of Crafting activity on the healing kits high enough to compensate the loss of miners+pk revenue? That is one thing which also needs to be checked because without it the picture would be incomplete. I however doubt that to be the case.

Next Island Perspective ( Any New Planet Partner) : This is a clever ploy from a marketing perspective within the EU world from the new planets perspective. Of course they get people to come and mine there who otherwise would not. However, should it be allowed is a very different story.

Lets keep it civil guys. The objective here is to understand rather then fight.

Short term this definitely assists Next Island. Long term it drives down the price of blood moss and has zero impact.

Any market is always reaching for the ultimate marktet equilibrium and no market ever achieves it. At the moment there is def. an imbalance with BM having a considerable MU and with NI miners finding lots of it ... Soon the markup will go down to a point where it is not guaranteed for ppl mining on NI and def. making a profit.

Then we are back to where we where before NI was launched.

just my 2 cents

Angel

I think it's a good evolution.

It's like the global economy IRL, some materials are commonly available in parts of the world where there is no need for, but a high demand in other parts where the materials are rare.

This will it a bit more complex, but also more realistic with the transport costs to bring it from one planet to another.

Maybe it's more profitable for a crafter to craft on the planet where the materials can be found and sell it on another planet paying transport fee, or maybe it's more interesting to buy it at a higher MU and be able to sell his goods without traveling.

Or maybe this is a good thing for the shop owners who can buy stuff in bulk on one planet and sell it in their shops on the other planet.

I think it's interesting how this will evolve and bring the economy to a new level.

Has anything official ever been said about PP's being able to choose what ores and enmats are located where? I've never seen anything. I imagine if they controlled it there would be less Lyst and more Langotz for ores. I see it as a balance issue and MA does all of the balancing for the Universe.

Oh come now, you guys have and can see these strategies used all over in RL. Rare is rare, but it doesnt mean there cant be a gold rush (or bm rush in this case lol) ;) Its hows cities were born in many cases (think ;) )

I think it's a good evolution.

It's like the global economy IRL, some materials are commonly available in parts of the world where there is no need for, but a high demand in other parts where the materials are rare.

This will it a bit more complex, but also more realistic with the transport costs to bring it from one planet to another.

Maybe it's more profitable for a crafter to craft on the planet where the materials can be found and sell it on another planet paying transport fee, or maybe it's more interesting to buy it at a higher MU and be able to sell his goods without traveling.

Or maybe this is a good thing for the shop owners who can buy stuff in bulk on one planet and sell it in their shops on the other planet.

I think it's interesting how this will evolve and bring the economy to a new level.

Oh come now, you guys have and can see these strategies used all over in RL. Rare is rare, but it doesnt mean there cant be a gold rush (or bm rush in this case lol) ;) Its hows cities were born in many cases (think ;) )

Can you please explain how this can be compared to RL where resources are not controlled by the country owning the land.

Case : A country in RL is being formed for instance. Do the residents/bureacrats or anyone else have any control in deciding what resource they would want on there land. Now imagine if a RL country could actually get gold/platinum filled on there land. How would the world react to that?? Planet partners are having that control and hence my question regarding the validity of such a point.

When we consider the dynamism of RL aspects, please also do consider the reality of what is controllable in RL and what is not.

PP's having the ability to place resources where they wish is not probable..if it is I see potential for MAJOR problems down the road. More on that in a minute....

As for the BM it is MA's job to keep a balance. (Something they have not proven to be adept at in the past) This scenerio is playing out to me just like the fiacso a few years ago with Dunkel. Dunkel was a rare..BM is a rare.. At some point Dunkel was made common and was found by every nub and his six alt accounts. Bm is now being found by every nub and his 6 alt accounts. Dunkel was reevaluated and now is harder to find then the balancing manager on an intellegence comittee. Bm will soon have the same happen to it..

This will be great for the short term but once they readjust it it will become so scarce that Pokeballs will become near extinct. This is the MA way.. from one extreme to the other never an in between balance. Enjoy the rewards now as you shall reap the cost later.

If pp's dictate where resources are set then that would make it very easy to "Stack" all the good stuff in one place or to set every thing worth while in an environment that is either too easy to get (AKA bm now on NI) or to hard to get like on a LA where there are max mat and density of the hardest mob ingame. I think PP's can suggest what they want where but ultimately its up to MA to make sure its not all fucked up in its distribution. Time will tell if they are smart enough in the forefront to think of this or if their percieved "We dont give a shit" posture we see now will prevail.

Can you please explain how this can be compared to RL where resources are not controlled by the country owning the land.

Case : A country in RL is being formed for instance. Do the residents/bureacrats or anyone else have any control in deciding what resource they would want on there land. Now imagine if a RL country could actually get gold/platinum filled on there land. How would the world react to that?? Planet partners are having that control and hence my question regarding the validity of such a point.

When we consider the dynamism of RL aspects, please also do consider the reality of what is controllable in RL and what is not.

What a silly remark,

It's still a economy simulation, ofc. the parts of the world cannot choose what materials they have.
But the planet partners can't either. MA can. And it's MA who is making it a bit more realistic this way.

What a silly remark,

It's still a economy simulation, ofc. the parts of the world cannot choose what materials they have.
But the planet partners can't either. MA can. And it's MA who is making it a bit more realistic this way.

I think then there is a difference of perception.

You believe ( based on your comment) that MA decides what material is spawned where across all planets.

I believe that MA doesnt decide the resource itself, but just balances the quantity of the resource overall.
Edit : To elaborate basically the ores/enmatter is not defined by MA but how much will be dropped is where MA comes in.

As to who is being silly, can only be known if someone can shed more light to the facts, considering both the above are suppositions at the moment.

Last edited:
Blood moss price down -> Fap markup down -> people spend less on fap markup and more on faps.

But Trina has a point - things tend to come in waves in this universe, so maybe I should buy and stash a T15.

Bad MA... bad!!! :yup:

for what it could do for t-series fap use and production i agree with you :)

don't really have a positive or neg opinion of whats happening to bloodmoss but i do think planets need unique materials to prevent such a price reduction so fast. this is a plan or test i guess.

kosmos

for what it could do for t-series fap use and production i agree with you :)

don't really have a positive or neg opinion of whats happening to bloodmoss but i do think planets need unique materials to prevent such a price reduction so fast. this is a plan or test i guess.

kosmos

I agree with this, if i was a PP i would want EVERYTHING to be unique, gauranteed no cross over of ores or enmatters, or mob loot, own economy. Maybe a LOT harder to get going but worth it in the long run, your own unique player base that way. I still think tools and equipment should be transferable though

As for the OP, i would guess MA made a mistake on this, and it will be fixed in a coming update

Rgds

Ace

Right now my opinion is that there is too much BM coming into the market at once. BM is going to end up another 104% enmat at this rate, and thats a shame because BM and Devil Tail are about the only nice MU rare enmats left to the average miner.

I agree with this, if i was a PP i would want EVERYTHING to be unique, gauranteed no cross over of ores or enmatters, or mob loot, own economy. Maybe a LOT harder to get going but worth it in the long run, your own unique player base that way. I still think tools and equipment should be transferable though

As for the OP, i would guess MA made a mistake on this, and it will be fixed in a coming update

Rgds

Ace

Exactly my thought, except for the MA making the mistake and the fixing bit.

as i see it, each planet should have his own unique economy, as simple as that.
the economy in EU is small, its very very easy to influance it, as we see with blood-moss.
i dislike the fact that PP's are competing with calypso, they should compete and on who has the best economy structure, best plot, best whatever.
not, which one is the most profitable according to calypso economy.
i mean, do u see the future? 2 years from now, 5 more planets come.
some mob, called Xyz, drops a rare gun, best gun to ever be created in EU, the pp's partner that made xyz and the gun are not stupid, the gun wont be so profitable on thier planet (but considering MA now need to monitor 20 planets, not sure they will notice that fact that the gun is "amazing" on claypso or anything else).
so its not even only ores that can really mess-up the economy, its also items and such.
more plantes, harder to balance, so its either it will take a year of investigation to approve a new item. or there wil be fuck-ups sooner or later.
but then, someone takes the gun back to calypso, and start using it on scip, that are not adjusted to those kind of weapons. and suprise... he makes tons of money.

MA really think they will be able to balance it all when they will have 20 planets? hell no.
thats why they should stop now, stop the integration between planets completely
every planet should be on thier own, the only common things will be the "real cash economy", the currencly, and the gfx engine.
thats all :)

Last edited:
Based on what I read on the other thread (support case responses) it sounds like BM on NI was intentional. Whether it is a ploy to get more activity on NI or not I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me.

Now, the way I see it we can either whine about it loud enough and hope they decide to change (which doesn't seem likely) or we can learn from it and move on. As there are more planets soon to be released we need to brace ourselves for another new-found abundance of something. The best we can do is rush to be educated on what can be found and adjust accordingly.

Bottom line is, as others will always point out, that EU is dynamic. Everything they change or introduce to the game is a testament to that. They have the controls and we do not.

It would make sense to make unique items and materials planet specific but usable universally, it stimulates interplanetary trade, so fair trade, they should plant some clown rock in pvp4. I sold alot of BM about 2 months ago predicting a decline in MU, anything with that high of MU wont last forever.

Blood moss was considerably over priced for how hard it is to sell vivos. MA wants ppl to craft, crafters cant skill on stuff with crazy MU and back to trying to sell vivos, it just becomes not worth it. It would be one thing if ppl were depoing to buy BM but I doubt they are. Set BM MU low, set success rate lower and you have now screwed 2 groups of ppl, the crafters and the miners and they have made the same amount, except for the lost auction fee; cause the vivo doesnt sell.

MA deals with stuff through hind sight review. We know theres no QA check list (or at least check client download isnt on there) If something is going to go "bad" they will fix it later, if ever.

Yep :) compare it to Star Trek where gold is rendered pretty much useless when they find a planet or something made from the stuff :laugh:

one little thing... that's all this is is just one smalll, itty bitty thing that gives new planet a bit of an advantage, nothing more. Soon we'll see LAs and other estates on new planets, and I'm sure many on Calypso will start crying wolf as the markup on apartments drops like a rock due to supply/demand too. However, ultimately, whoever is going up there to do blood moss searches, apartment hunts, etc. won't benefit from both planets unless they are paying to travel, so it all works out somewhat. Pay the extra to travel and get a little more back when you can sell your wares to those that are not willing to do that.

Complaints like this are like the complaints by miners that belk can come out of the non-attacking bots that used to hang out near PA during the Harbinger event or complaints that Argonauts give up Iron.

Last edited:
Based on what I read on the other thread (support case responses) it sounds like BM on NI was intentional. Whether it is a ploy to get more activity on NI or not I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me.

Now, the way I see it we can either whine about it loud enough and hope they decide to change (which doesn't seem likely) or we can learn from it and move on. As there are more planets soon to be released we need to brace ourselves for another new-found abundance of something. The best we can do is rush to be educated on what can be found and adjust accordingly.

Bottom line is, as others will always point out, that EU is dynamic. Everything they change or introduce to the game is a testament to that. They have the controls and we do not.

While i completely agree with you from a players objective, this thread was meant to be from a PP ( aka Calypso's) objective. So its fair play as far as players are concerned and thats the reason i went to NI in the first place, i was adjusting to the game :)

However, if Calypso ( MA's own child, now owned by FPC/SEE or any other entity) is not safe from MA's unscrupulous methodologies, this makes EU in itself a very risky venture and the investors (present and future) will get vary of such COI that exist within the offered platform.

They ( MA) need to go back to the drawing board and re frame there PP architecture, as to me in its present form it seems lacking adequate control protocols.

While i completely agree with you from a players objective, this thread was meant to be from a PP ( aka Calypso's) objective. So its fair play as far as players are concerned and thats the reason i went to NI in the first place, i was adjusting to the game :)

However, if Calypso ( MA's own child, now owned by FPC/SEE or any other entity) is not safe from MA's unscrupulous methodologies, this makes EU in itself a very risky venture and the investors (present and future) will get vary of such COI that exist within the offered platform.

They ( MA) need to go back to the drawing board and re frame there PP architecture, as to me in its present form it seems lacking adequate control protocols.

But is there actually anything really damaging for Calypso in this? To me, the situation looks like this:
  • The only blueprints using blood moss are Calypsian
  • you need Calypso components to craft with these
  • the best residue to fill these up with is on Calyso only
  • 99%+ of crafters using these BPs are on calypso
  • 99%+ of the result gets sold and used on calypso

The decay (and hence PP incoming) in using the faps is necessarily much larger than in mining the blood moss.

Just a quick thought. As NI is not fully launched yet, no BP's, no time travel etc. perhaps the abundance of BM is due to it being needed in far greater quantities than before.

Maybe time travel requires BM and crystals to travel? Perhaps there are BP's that require lots of BM?

Yes at the moment there is a glut, and even at the reduced MU it is still quite profitable to mine - assuming you are willing to travel to NI and back for it, or a trader willing to do it, but I think that until we have a better idea of the next step in NI evolution, I dont think we can predict how this will effect FPC in the long term.

It's fairly obvious why BM on NI. To get players over there.

Most miners want to go for the high mark so best way to get people to spend the 40ped transport fee, drop the high MU stuff to encourage them to make the jump.

If the blood moss was usable on NI for something it would not be so much trouble as some or most would be used locally.

HOWEVER all the vivo that use blood moss need robot parts not lootable locally and sometimes ores that cant be found locally too.

The only use for BM on NI is to tier up faps or if you import robot parts.

cheap price - bad profit for miners, any res should have "hard way" for find it.

But is there actually anything really damaging for Calypso in this? To me, the situation looks like this:
  • The only blueprints using blood moss are Calypsian
  • you need Calypso components to craft with these
  • the best residue to fill these up with is on Calyso only
  • 99%+ of crafters using these BPs are on calypso
  • 99%+ of the result gets sold and used on calypso

The decay (and hence PP incoming) in using the faps is necessarily much larger than in mining the blood moss.

As i have stated in my opening post as an example, i was there in NI because of the BM presence. While i was there , i hunted/mined other resources etc etc because

1. You need to fill in the time between spawn times. Also doing the same place at intervals is boring and hence requires some change.

2. One cannot afford to hop back between planets and so is forced to stay there for a longer span.

I am not the only one as i know 4-5 others who have done the same. I would imagine that number to be far greater considering i dont know everyone out there :)

The problem is not that mining the BM alone will cause a loss of revenue, but the other decay we do due to our extended period of stay which will cause that issue.

PS : Also please understand that BM is a bad predecessor and the effects can be far greater and wider if similar stategies become the norm with other ores/enmatter.

It's fairly obvious why BM on NI. To get players over there.

Most miners want to go for the high mark so best way to get people to spend the 40ped transport fee, drop the high MU stuff to encourage them to make the jump.

You very well could be right but the people who think the 40 ped transport fee is a good thing (not me) agrue that the 40 ped fee is there to help STOP players from moving around.

I thought ND or NI were the ones who were supposed to get new players to their areas and not MA screwing with the economy because they expanded such an unliked and expensive transport fee system which does little except drain peds from players quicker and helps keep the player base of all planets at low numbers.

I am not saying the transport fees are the main reason for people quitting but it is one of the small things annoy and deter many players.

Last edited:
Doubt there is any motivation other than transport of mats in auction or tp fees for MA, but until NI is properly implemented can't give any other suggestion.

Back