Life expectancy of Entropia Universe

What do you think is the life expectancy of Entropia Universe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well again you are saying it yourself ... you are not neutral ... I don't have a problem with you being positive, that's great!

I'll explain in lame terms... if a game is played by 100 people..100 people voted... 20% hates it and want to leave and 80% loves it and want to stay, the game has future and vice versa. However, You WILL NOT get the right stats if you say the haters should not vote or justify what they do.

You will have to put your personal feelings aside when you try to get statistics because your feelings don't mean a thing when it comes to reality or the result, you gotta consider yourself as 1 voter like anyone else.

Like I said I voted 6+ years like most of the veteran players and am glad at the outcome (I don't think the sky is ever gonna fall lol). However, it could have been run a bit better.

Lol the ending was pure truth. Anyways, I am neutral when it comes to the poll, I am not neutral when it comes to discussing how happy or how much you hate MA or EU, that isn't part of the poll so I can take a side. Haters and those who love the game both should vote but from a more neutral point of view. Anyways, it ain't like it's ever gonna happen, it was just a comment :D

Lol the ending was pure truth. Anyways, I am neutral when it comes to the poll, I am not neutral when it comes to discussing how happy or how much you hate MA or EU, that isn't part of the poll so I can take a side. Haters and those who love the game both should vote but from a more neutral point of view. Anyways, it ain't like it's ever gonna happen, it was just a comment :D

So, lets see if I get this right, but probably wont.

Anyone can vote any way they feel , but they cant explain why they chose to vote that way?

Doesnt the way they feel about MA/EU have bearing on how they cast their vote?

If you are polling about the CONCEPT of EU then thats a different matter, in which case you should have taken more time with explaining what you expected people to be voting on.

Anyone can vote any way they feel , but they cant explain why they chose to vote that way?

If you are polling about the CONCEPT of EU then thats a different matter, in which case you should have taken more time with explaining what you expected people to be voting on.

Let me see if I can explain it right...

Don't vote in the poll that EU will end tomorrow if you just had a bad run and are in a bad mood about the game.
Have a good think about the pro's and the con's and try to be impartial.

As for the,thread by all means post exactly how you feel bad,good or indifferent but maybe explain why you feel the way you do and about how you voted.

At least thats how I interpret what the OP is trying to say.

I hate volvo cars because I crashed in to a tree when I was talking in my mobile.. :thumbup:

Things going for EU's long life expectancy -

• Proven ability to completely overhaul the engine
  • Game depth
  • High learning curve
  • Mysterious system

Things going against EU's life expectancy -
  • The economy, weak US dollar.
  • EU's own playerbase.

From my point of view EU in its original form died allready with VU 10.
It has evolved in something different. In pure buiseness machine. Original idea without competition.
MA is very well aware of that.
This evolved form will never die...there will always be ppl or Co. which will be willing to try it...
Fun died,franchise didn't and it never will. :wise:
Brilliant MA, just brilliant! :bowdown:

As long as the RCE part survives imo so will Entropia, even if MA don't there will be plenty of companies out there who would buy it. I voted 6+

Rgds

Ace

I voted 2-3 years, though it may last longer due to people living in the past. Still not sure it will last 6+ though, which is why I didn't vote for that. MA implements nerf after nerf to make things more difficult, and they show no signs of veering off this downward spiral of a course. All they care about is money, and they fail to see the growing discomfort amongst the player base.

I don't think addiction to swirlies will be enough to make it last forever if things don't change. And I don't think they will.

6+

4 years on Calypso as of today, and when I committed to it - made my first deposit - I had a 10-year plan, so I voted 6+ plus years. Forever seemed a bit too long.

Anything that is free to try will churn through a lot of people that won't stay long at all, but those that get into to it tend to stay far longer than with most games. In time, almost everyone tires of any game and moves on - that is why the sky always seems to be falling in the eyes of Chicken Little.

Having new planets will actually extend that avatar lifespan - just look at the Can't-Wait-To-Be-Arkadians, players who are burnt out on Calypso but yearn for more of EU. The planed movement of currently unsatisfied players to a new planet shows the potential resiliency of EU as it grows. This is also a big part of the reasoning behind keeping planets distinct (and why shared mobs are lame).

Calypso itself seems quite strong, despite all the negativity here on the forum, with a steady influx of new players and greater variety of activities available for them. New players feeding into the system are essential. And no, Calypso is not going to disappear anytime soon - it is the biggest and most varied planet around and it will be so for some time.

The growing pains are not always pleasant, especially for old-timers, but with the overall awareness of EU so low there is still huge potential for growth. The competition is also good for players as it will force planet partners to continually improve their offerings.

It is easy to get caught up in the problems of the moment, but the long view is promising for the platform, and that makes serious challenges unlikely. Why reinvent the wheel that MA has built, when you can join and take advantage of it? That will be the reasoning of most potential RCE competitors. Look where AW is after all these years, still behind EU, and getting farther away all the time.

OK, I'll stop (if anyone is still reading) ;)

:beerchug:

Miles

From my point of view EU in its original form died allready with VU 10.
It has evolved in something different. In pure buiseness machine. Original idea without competition.
MA is very well aware of that.
This evolved form will never die...there will always be ppl or Co. which will be willing to try it...
Fun died,franchise didn't and it never will. :wise:
Brilliant MA, just brilliant! :bowdown:

I have to agree, the fun game and entertainment died with project entropia. But the money machine entropia came in its place. Just think how many ppl would play entropia if it wasnt a rce.

Let me see if I can explain it right...

Don't vote in the poll that EU will end tomorrow if you just had a bad run and are in a bad mood about the game.
Have a good think about the pro's and the con's and try to be impartial.

As for the,thread by all means post exactly how you feel bad,good or indifferent but maybe explain why you feel the way you do and about how you voted.

At least thats how I interpret what the OP is trying to say.

That is exactly what I meant. Thank you.

I have to agree, the fun game and entertainment died with project entropia. But the money machine entropia came in its place. Just think how many ppl would play entropia if it wasnt a rce.

I did not have the pleasure to experience Project Entropia, I hate low graphics so that would have been an obstacle for me. But let's hope they do bring old stuff like taming and beacons back. And well the big feature of EU is its RCE, and it adds so many dimensions to the gameplay that without it, I don't think there would be 200 people active.

This is the idea I've gathered from everybody's opinion on the game after the CryEngine2 VU since I started playing: This update removed some fun features such as taming, beacons, hangars (spaceships coming back), also, since every player got a chance to re-make their avatars, beauty business went down hill. So, in a way, I see this VU as a new beginning, where we start off from a new game with new graphics, but less gameplay. Now, all we have to wait for is for these fun activities and more to come and make the game grow, hopefully with new good planets. In other words, for the game to re-develop. At least that is my hope and thoughts that I got from your opinions.

Last edited:
The results show most ppl see at least a medium-term future.
Just because things COULD be so much better doesn't mean ppl don't spend time living in this universe and provide it with cash to run on.
As I see it, the platform could be used for so much more. We now have some kind of voice-chat sytem running here, but it just didn't seem atrractive to me the way it was offered. But it does use 3rd party streams, or connections, I believe, so gives low server stress. What if the video screens in EU were given streaming access in the same way? Of course there as content concerns in this day and age, but what if lecture rooms/cinema rooms/galleries started with specific hosts for specific topics and a text chat limited to that room and with/without limited entry like appartments?

Bring people together as EU has done and there are so many opportunities - except MA doesn't even reimplement the ability to 'sit down' in the universe..... planet partners should be banging their fists on the table for more interaction! (but I can do without sparkle effects personally - just let me drink a beer here sitting down to start with ;) )
Let's see what the new planet achieves on the basis of the platform and the advances SLOWLY being made... I see a future in this in the same way that even stupid lifeforms manage to breed and live on... - and even evolve smarter versions!

Last edited:
Entropia is a challenge very few games offer, and only certain type of people want to take that challenge. Those who do, tend to stay long, they don't just quit suddenly because they are bored, or decide to "try" some other mmorpg. So the backbone of playerbase is quite strong.

Listening to people in my friend list and how much they deposit it seems that people only in my list easily pay salary of at least one MA employee. I know there are many more depositers, and many bigger ones, so unless MA really messes things good I can't see it going belly up easily.

I think this universe has really HUGE potential. Why it has not grown faster surprises me somewhat, but then again I guess small company like MA must take careful very steps in a world, where there are companies like Blizz whose advertizing budget propably exceed that of MindArks whole budget.

6+

have been here since 2004 and heard the "EU is gonna die soon" speach SO many times....
basically it comes up everytime something changes and ppl have to change/adapt there playing style.

there are things that could need a fix but i dont think ill ever leave EU for good (i just take a break sometimes)

MA will be here a long time, they will keep the platform and keep track of items and loot and put the responsibility on the planet Partners.:laugh:

I did not have the pleasure to experience Project Entropia, I hate low graphics so that would have been an obstacle for me. But let's hope they do bring old stuff like taming and beacons back. And well the big feature of EU is its RCE, and it adds so many dimensions to the gameplay that without it, I don't think there would be 200 people active.

This is why its so frustrating when new players who think they know the history of PE and EU demand black and white answers. You say beauty got a setback because of everyone got to remake avater once, but the truth is over 10 times. And PE changed name to EU way before vu10.
So as politely as posible I would tell you to stfu:) and take a month to read PE History.

I dont think that EU will die.
In fact i would like to ask the question if anyone here is able to name me one MMORPG that has died ?
Such games dont die they continue to exist as long as there is one lonely soul left to pay for it.
Mindark has taken the right steps, they just cant fail they are able to addapt their costs to nearly 100%.
Less players mean to MMORPGS only one thing -> slower development.

I have checked out a few MMORPG's lately and while there are a few who have more to offer in regards to storyline / quests / raids when it comes to graphics / scale of landscape / possibilities entropia has still the lead for many years to come and they wont stop here.

We shall see, perhaps I get to teach my grand children how to sweat?

Little grand daughter "Grandpa, can we have ice cream?"

Grandpa Derid "Not until you sweat 2K more!"

--

Little grand son "Grandpa, my fingers hurt... Can I stop sweating for 5 minutes?"

Grandpa Derid "You want grandpa to cry? YOU TRYING TO MAKE GRANDPA CRY!?!?!"

--

Son "Dad, you really pushing the kids a bit hard in this sweating thing.. They are your grand children you know?"

Derid "WTF Son? You just bought yourself 2 days of sweating!"

Son "Dad, cmon..."

Derid "THREE DAYS!!!"

Derid's wife "Thats the spirit hon, give em hell!"

Derid is very happy with his wife.

Hi,

didn't vote - I have no clue about, so it just doesn't make sense.

As many emphasized, EU could be literally immortal. It perfectly fits a small niche in the gaming world, and there's no competition on the horizon.

But there are a few risks. And any of these could shut down EU quite quickly, IMHO:

- Authorities. EU operates in a gray area, and has at least 1 foot in gambling. I'd not neglect the possibility that some moronic redneck politician choses EU as a vehicle to create a big witch hunt, for better votes. Gambling, real money, a violent computer game such as those that make our youngsters prone to school shootings (as we are told over & over) - this could work, for sure.
And if done from the US it could effectively shut down EU quite fast.

- Lawsuits. The more planet partners, the more interested parties, the more competition among them. Is MA handling them all equally? Are there hidden contracts/ connections that discriminate other PP's? Is any PP acting honestly, and not trying to feed of the other PP's player bases? Is MA able to fulfill the contracts it has made with the PP's?
A can of worms. It's about a lot of money here, about success or fail of company's connected to EU. Problems arising here could have disastrous consequences, after all all these company's are connected, and all are quite small.

- Patents. Yes, the infamous patent trolls. A pending danger to any IT-related company.

- And competition. I don't think that any of the big players will ever even consider to enter this RCE niche marked - after all it has a lot of problems (acceptance, managing a lot of money with low margins, legal uncertainties), and it's not this much money to be earned.
But it could happen that there'd be some competition. MA could survive this long because they are the only ones that offer a half ways ready game - and so there's no alternative, and the participants will bend over, over and over. But a lot are not this happy.
Should a promising newcomer enter the scene I'm quite sure that the majority of EU's inhabitants would switch in a hurry. We'll see a small scale example soon - what will happen to Calypso once Arcadia opens?

So, you see, there's actually some risks.

No idea if such ever would happen, if not, EU literally could live forever. IMHO.

Have fun!

I dont think that EU will die.
In fact i would like to ask the question if anyone here is able to name me one MMORPG that has died ?
Such games dont die they continue to exist as long as there is one lonely soul left to pay for it.
Mindark has taken the right steps, they just cant fail they are able to addapt their costs to nearly 100%.
Less players mean to MMORPGS only one thing -> slower development.

You may find the following article of interest:

http://www.mmorpgate.com/2009/08/mmorpgs-that-failed-and-why.html

So yes, there are failures, but 100s still exist and have done for years, a visit to mmorpg.com would prove that.

This is why its so frustrating when new players who think they know the history of PE and EU demand black and white answers. You say beauty got a setback because of everyone got to remake avater once, but the truth is over 10 times. And PE changed name to EU way before vu10.
So as politely as posible I would tell you to stfu:) and take a month to read PE History.

I don't know the history, I know PE changed name before VU 10, I never even said such thing, you confused it because I mentioned low graphics in the same sentence. And I never even asked anything, I was just commenting along with everybody on something that every single old player says, how things after VU 10 changed, and yes I myself have heard people who dedicate to beauty complain about how making your avatar works now. So as politely as possible I would tell you to use your brain before posting troll like replies.

I don't know the history, I know PE changed name before VU 10, I never even said such thing, you confused it because I mentioned low graphics in the same sentence. And I never even asked anything, I was just commenting along with everybody on something that every single old player says, how things after VU 10 changed, and yes I myself have heard people who dedicate to beauty complain about how making your avatar works now. So as politely as possible I would tell you to use your brain before posting troll like replies.

:lolup: LMAO... you must be new.

OK... please go the Entropedia.info and search for Kimmi's avatar info :)

Um, Kimmi Kimmi EFnet, Captain, Sweden. That's all I see about him unless I am looking on the wrong place. Give me a link or just tell me lol I am in a lazy mood. Anyways, I was just listing ONE of the reasons I have heard from the people who work in beauty. :wtg:

The sale of their castle is a very bad sign imo. Or why would they buy a castle renovate it a bit and sell it shortly afterwards?

Um, Kimmi Kimmi EFnet, Captain, Sweden. That's all I see about him unless I am looking on the wrong place. Give me a link or just tell me lol I am in a lazy mood. Anyways, I was just listing ONE of the reasons I have heard from the people who work in beauty. :wtg:

Well one suggestion to you as you admitted you are a new player... as a community in EU you dont do yourself any favour by hinting that one of the veterans is a troll (hinting)...

This might be handy -
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?204663-Top-100-Avatars-in-Entropia-(2011)

GL! :)

Well one suggestion to you as you admitted you are a new player... as a community in EU you dont do yourself any favour by hinting that one of the veterans is a troll (hinting)...

This might be handy -
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?204663-Top-100-Avatars-in-Entropia-(2011)

GL! :)

Pft there are so many veteran trolls in this forum that you never know. Anyways, I didn't say he was a troll, i said and quote "troll-like response". I know he isn't a troll he also participated in my first thread, I just hate it when people don't read thoroughly and end up twisting(a better word would be misunderstanding :)) my words, being intentional or a mistake, that's all.

The sale of their castle is a very bad sign imo. Or why would they buy a castle renovate it a bit and sell it shortly afterwards?

Well, it can just be reselling. Buy for cheap, renovate and sell for more, couldn't it?

For my part the veterans don't do themselves any favors either by treating new players poorly or suggesting they have to tow any sort of party line. I'm not saying Kimmi did such a thing. But mocking a player for being new and not knowing who is who is a little over the top, in my book.

We, the VU10+ players, outnumber the veterans. And we always will. Its a simple fact of life in EU that more people leave than stay. New players aren't the only ones who leave the scene. Veterans do too. Their pool is shrinking.

IMHO they can either choose to play with us, or watch as we develop ourselves and move on without them.

One way will ensure that older players stay relevant in the community. The other will ensure they retire from it.

Well, it can just be reselling. Buy for cheap, renovate and sell for more, couldn't it?

Well MA is as far as I know no estate agency. Besides that the aquiration of the banking licence failed because of the lack of funds...I don't think EU will die, but the golden days are over i suppose.

Back