How does a mothership make money?

OK, you're not thinking this through.

Let's say a new-ish player is standing in twins, owns no vehicle, and wants to visit arkadia.

Cost VTOL: 200+ ped
Cost Thruster: 300+ ped today
<snip>

Thruster costs are falling rapidly, but the main point you're missing is that even if you need to hire a pilot, someone with a small ship can provide the service, they don't need a mothership for it.

You cant actively "tank" damage with your vtol. The default 500 hp you see is just a buffer for healers (provided you have them), to liken it to other games. Obviously, the bigger the buffer, the easier it is to keep the tank up :D

We might have something here. I think this is the first genuine advantage of a mothership that's been mentioned.

Last cost of a light thruster at Auction 340 ped, you get 10 trips with a light thruster(decay) so thats 5 out of plant 5 back into planet that is 68 ped a trip, fuel between planets for VTOL, say 2 ped thats 70 ped a trip, 2 ped to leave planet 7 ped to get back in thats 9 ped add all together its a lot more than 23.99

Try doing the calculation with the correct numbers :) You're double counting costs (don't need to decay a thruster if you pay the 7 PED, and vice versa), and thrusters give 50 trips not 10 (not light thrusters but they aren't the ones that cost 340 ped). There are good calculations of the current cost elsewhere, it costs about 20 ped iirc and the overall cost is falling due to the thruster price falling.

With the ESS Deep_pockets (Fictional mothership)....If I can afford the ship and upgrades, then I can afford to offer insurance...i.e. cover anyone's losses...to my customers/travelers should they be killed and looted while aboard my vessal. Of course, a proof of resource carried (potential loss or item/s from being looted) would be required, prior to departure.

Think old world trading vessals (ships). Some Financial losses did occur, but it was overall a profitable venture.

But @Deathifier....any and all (meaning most)....of any profits in these ventures, will be seen by MA and the already wealthy. Don't think that some of this wealth from space is actually gonna trickle down to us insects of EU in any reasonable quantity. If you need futher proof of that, just look at what we pay and risk, should we actually want to play in space on our own, without having to pay some remarkable MU that some rich guy/gal feels is a fair value. Look no further than angel armor that dropped like candy from a pinata, but doesnt/or will no longer drop. Anything with Modified, Ajusted, or Improved are also prime examples.....the only hope anyone has now of owning such gear, is to pay thousands of RL dollars...not camp a hugglo or whatever.

With the ESS Deep_pockets (Fictional mothership)....If I can afford the ship and upgrades, then I can afford to offer insurance...i.e. cover anyone's losses...to my customers/travelers should they be killed and looted while aboard my vessal. Of course, a proof of resource carried (potential loss or item/s from being looted) would be required, prior to departure.

Think old world trading vessals (ships). Some Financial losses did occur, but it was overall a profitable venture.

You could do all of that with a VTOL, a mothership does not offer an advantage here.

Today we tested one interesting feature on the Mothership that actually saves a lot of money.
I'm not gonna tell what it is yet tho, at least, until its totally confirmed!

to make money you need player....With curent game , owner of MS are very far from making some money out of it...

How many time it will take them to fill up like 20 seat to go to next planet ?

Space is imho useless for the game mechanic right now , MA should have spend more time to bring new player in last 6 month...

the only good things i see in space now from MA side , it reduce the ped card of some player , so that some money that will no get withdraw any soon....

Space is imho useless for the game mechanic right now , MA should have spend more time to bring new player in last 6 month...

Space and how it got implemented might actually be one way to force planet partner to do some advertising instead of cannibalizing the existing playerbase.

Space and how it got implemented might actually be one way to force planet partner to do some advertising instead of cannibalizing the existing playerbase.

wasnt it somehow writen in the contract ?
We give you planet and starter kit , you create you planet and make advert...

I guess MA did fuck up them self again with the small line ... like they did with the bank and the suposed 1M ped bank owner wupose to have....

seems everyone come with his planet , make 1 pr saying " we made planet in MA stuff"... and its done...
Kind of lame...

and finally what seems to have canibalised player out of calypso was , most of time balance problem ( MA resposibility)...

they also fuked themself with that "starter kit" , made with calypso content...
Seems SEE didnt like to pay 6 M$ for an empty planet , because everything can be used by all partner...daikiba all over the universe...

You should ask the question:

How does MA make money with mothership?

Easier to answer :silly2:
60k peds TT of Ore to be used to upgrade the SI of the mothership, therefore 20 ships = 1 200 000 Peds spent, equals to 4x Medusa Islands :laugh:

Having little fear of losing their existing player base gives the planet partners less incentive to advertise. You may not need to advertise if you're all your customer knows, or in this case...possibly all your customer has access to.

Aside from that, space is very much a non compete buffer. I have said before that I believe this was done intentionally to protect planet partners from failing. Such a failure would be problematic for MindArk in at least two ways. Failure of a planet partner doesn't look good for potential future investors, and since MindArk expects the PPs to do all the advertising, fewer PPs means less advertising for MindArk.

None of this is really meant to be good for the player base, and preventing competition can cause organizations to "settle." If there is no fear of losing customers, there is no reason to improve. They may not be increasing profits much, if at all, but they also won't be losing players to other planets anymore. This gives them much less incentive to improve their planet.

Capitalism is what made the U.S. what it became economically (before its recent problems). It's because it works - and quite well at that.

they also fuked themself with that "starter kit" , made with calypso content...
Seems SEE didnt like to pay 6 M$ for an empty planet , because everything can be used by all partner...daikiba all over the universe...

Empty planet? Did they not get Calypso that had like 95 % or more of the playerbase? Got the a crew (FPC) that had experience with EU?

And i also think the space is a very important thing to be used to attract new players, space will allways look cool in the PR for the game.

Today we tested one interesting feature on the Mothership that actually saves a lot of money.
I'm not gonna tell what it is yet tho, at least, until its totally confirmed!

You mean you can TP from the mothership down to planet and not pay 7 PED ?

just a thought, it appears that a space thruster may cost 3 peds to craft. (correct me if am wrong) so actually that would mean you guys taking money from people you'll want to join your fleet?

correct me if am wrong, what do you think about that? will crafters provide battle costs to pilots?

I have said before that I believe this was done intentionally to protect planet partners from failing. Such a failure would be problematic for MindArk in at least two ways. Failure of a planet partner doesn't look good for potential future investors, and since MindArk expects the PPs to do all the advertising, fewer PPs means less advertising for MindArk.

it's also been alluded to in other threads but it stops people jumping from planet to planet, just doing the missions to build up their stats and then leaving.

How many people have visited NI, RT, Ark just to do the missions and then returned to Calypso or just log out and only return when new missions are available.

just a thought, it appears that a space thruster may cost 3 peds to craft. (correct me if am wrong) so actually that would mean you guys taking money from people you'll want to join your fleet?

correct me if am wrong, what do you think about that? will crafters provide battle costs to pilots?

if we had a loaning system then a fleet owner could contract out jobs using the ships and thrusters but it's another system that MA doesn't want.

Can you fly a borrowed vehicle into space? Can you remove the thrusters or access it's storage?

so, basically, we take your peds because it always been like that, see MA if they, this time, will give you a few pecs to let crafters be rich?

With all the space changes, what's the answer to this question now?

With all the space changes, what's the answer to this question now?

Considering the recent traveltimes in small ships, the fact some MS are with quite some upgraded SI + have established crews and are able to equip warp drive i guess those the THE vessels for "safe" space transportation.

Considering the recent traveltimes in small ships, the fact some MS are with quite some upgraded SI + have established crews and are able to equip warp drive i guess those the THE vessels for "safe" space transportation.

so now MA made a change that advantage the few vessel owners and nerf all the other vtlo/wing owners. This move will improve the travel space and the space trade in your opinion?????

Reactions: Mac
so now MA made a change that advantage the few vessel owners and nerf all the other vtlo/wing owners. This move will improve the travel space and the space trade in your opinion?????

No i didn't say that. However i answered Oleg's question and how i see how mothership owners are more likely to make money in this new space system than before, because traveling in a mothership is now beneficial over traveling in a small Vessel for the stated reasons.

However the implied judgment about good or not for the majority of playerbase vs. the minority wasn't part of my statment.

But the MS are only safe with a crew.

So either your left waiting around for them to pick up enough passengers for them to pay their crew, a similar problem we used to have with CND which could be hours in some cases or pay over the top as a single traveller. Or wait until they get enough people online to be the crew. Any of which could end up being longer than a quad wing or vtol trip.

Personally if I needed to travel to another planet, I'd make the effort the day before and take the cheapest route which will probably still be as a passenger in a vtol or quad.

Last edited:
I can't answer for anyone else, but personally I bought mine only for pleasure. If I wanted to make money those ~10k usd (incl upgrades) could make me a lot more money elsewhere.

..sure you can do pilot / escoring services and make a few peds here and there, but like most other activities doing irl work would make me 10 times more.

Krusenstern is there for the fun and well.. it's cool!

It's also an "open" ship which means anyone is free to join and participate whenever they want. Just contact me to get on the guest list.

I think that privateers and motherships can potentially make far more money than a quad taxi , only one problem is , at this time the market is not big enough for mass transportation services , I think that in the future , if there will be enough players willing to move at the same time, motherships and privateers will become the mass transportation service providers ingame, small vehicles will continue to act as taxis as they are atm.

1. Warp drives.
2. Space mobs.
3. future content in space.
4. .......

Back