I fear for Cyrene if it is released now

Status

Few Scars

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Bjorn Bjorn Longstaff
Kim
We have a problem in the Entropia Universe Space, which the developers need to address immediately and not on the office whiteboard timeline.

Pre-Space:
1. Economies on Arkadia and Rocktropia growing steadily and the player population distributing between the planets they liked.
2. The interplanetary teleport system tolerated at 40Ped per trip and easy access to interplanetary auction house.

Space VU 1:
1. Space introduced as lootable PvP. Players initially upset, but grew to deal with it.
2. Auction houses restricted to planets only, Arkadia and Rocktropian economies began failing.
3. Travel via QUAD still possible, roughly 15 minute trips smuggling goods across space.
4. Economies and populations on Arkadia and Rocktropia declined, but as the population grew accustomed to the new space, players made the effort to travel to Arkadian and Rocktropia.
5. NB: I am ignoring Next Island/Ancient Greece as they are pretty much a fail anyway.

Space VU2:
1. Pre-excitement that space was enlarged and warp drives to be introduced.
2. Excitement over as reality sets in!
3. 97% of player base now on Calypso
4. Economies on Arkadia and Rocktropia struggling because;
a. Players can’t sell their goods on Arkadia and Rocktropia because 97% of buyers are on Calypso.
b. Players do not want to risk travelling in lootable space with stackables, so craft on Calypso, which is safer…real money involved remember.
c. Warp drives BPs and materials to craft them have been restricted. Only 3 out of 17 Motherships are offering a once daily warp trip between planets, otherwise it is a 45 minute trip by QUAD

Do you think that EVE is pissing their pants laughing at this attempt at space? I bet they are. Why, because players in this game have restricted access to warp, let alone only 4 types of spacecraft with only 2 now useful (which only 87 players own). I mean, FFS! Only 87 players out of the boasted 1 million accounts can realistically use space with warp! How dumb is that!!!

A 45 minute trip in a QUAD is “bloody boring”, while I am AFK NOT hunting, NOT mining, NOT crafting and therefore NOT depositing, I am enjoying a “bloody boring” 45 minute trip through space.

I ask you Kim, Could EVE survive if they made their players spend 45 mins in flight……hell no! How much money is MA losing with players stuck travelling, because they are not actively playing while travelling….hint I am trying to help u make money!!!

Now, I come to the long awaited Cyrene. Is the Cyrene development group seriously going to release a planet into a space system which doesn’t function? To me that is commercial suicide! They will release it, some players will make an effort to travel by QUAD to see it, some will be lucky enough to be online/awake when the 3 Motherships are travelling there. But considering how badly Arkadia and Rocktropia, barely surviving, how does Cyrene stand a chance?, especially when players can’t get there easily!

So Kim, tell the developers do the following.
1. Position WARP JUMP GATES in space so that players can travel between planets in under 15 minutes. Still a PvP risk using them compared to safe Motherships. Hey, even charge a 40Ped fee to use them, I really don’t care, I just want to be able to travel 24/7 and not wait.
2. Relax the looting of materials needed to craft warp drives and for Christ’s sake drop some bloody BPs.
3. Do a cost analysis of how much player activity is lost while players are AFK travelling through space for 45 minutes.
4. There are 17 Motherships and 70 Privateers all sitting about like space junk. It is unfortunate that they retain a +100K price-tag, which no one can afford to buy and they not willing to lose money on. This stalemate of inactivity is making the MA version of space look stupid, not to mention childlike compared to EVE.

MA has released a huge version of space, boasted about how great warp drives are....yet ONLY 3 players accounts are actually offering warp transport, how fucking funny is this???:laugh:

5. Kim, I really fear for Planet Cyrene if space remains un-accessable like this. The MA policy of releasing limited amounts of BPs and making materials needed to craft warp drives is severely impacting on space. If MA wants us all to stay on Calypso, scrap space and put an end to it. The limited BPs and rare materials is simply driving prices sky high, which is essentially market manipulation!

Moral of this essay, make space accessible to all players!

Frustrated
Bjorn

NB: Constructive comments on how to fix the flight times in space is welcome, while Kim gives us an idea of what MA is doing to fix this problem the Planet Partners are facing.

While I agree with most of what you say, I do want to correct a couple of things. (no offense of course :) )

Rocktropia is actually doing pretty well right now since they have started advertizing. There is an influx of new players and the number of active traders has trippled. (yeah, thats still just 3, but still better than it was)

A lot of people have access to warp. Just because they dont own a warp equipped ship doesnt mean they arent accessable.

I have access to 3 motherships with warp and am pretty 2 others are just a pm away as well as 1 privateer w/ warp and likely others as well.

Now I am a social player, so I will likely have more contacts like that than most. But anyone with 0 people on their friendlist can still get on the forum and find a warp equiped ship to hire at anytime they want.

Yes quad flights are long and boring, but I am still doing them fairly often, and I know people that are still flying back and forth in vtols.

I want it easier too, but am not sure what the solution to balance is.

narfi

Last edited:
Economies on Arkadia and Rocktropia struggling because:

Perhaps the model is that if planet partners are incapable of attracting new users via next level marketing efforts, then what they offer is for the few brave souls that ferry forth to check that out.

I'm a proud resident of Calypso now for almost 6 years. I can't see that changing anytime soon. I believe for these new planets to become successful, they need to generate new accounts, with the passion and excitement I have always found with Calypso for their own player base.

I am fairly encouraged that the team behind Cyrene both understands that need and is capable of providing said marketing.

Perhaps the model is that if planet partners are incapable of attracting new users via next level marketing efforts, then what they offer is for the few brave souls that ferry forth to check that out.

I'm a proud resident of Calypso now for almost 6 years. I can't see that changing anytime soon. I believe for these new planets to become successful, they need to generate new accounts, with the passion and excitement I have always found with Calypso for their own player base.

I am fairly encouraged that the team behind Cyrene both understands that need and is capable of providing said marketing.

Yes, I do agree with the responsibilities of the new planets... they need to bring in their own players....

But the problems is many players who start in the new planets soon learn the existence of calypso...and they meet the older players (who stay in that planet only for a short time... and leave) from calypso ....

These new players then either move to calypso or worse simply create a new account with calypso.... I think this is the major obstucle to the new planets... In effect they are losing the players they are bringing in to calypso... totally unfair... not sure why the PPs are accepting this injustice and monopoly.

Yes, I do agree with the responsibilities of the new planets... they need to bring in their own players....

But the problems is many players who start in the new planets soon learn the existence of calypso...and they meet the older players (who stay in that planet only for a short time... and leave) from calypso ....

These new players then either move to calypso or worse simply create a new account with calypso.... I think this is the major obstucle to the new planets... In effect they are losing the players they are bringing in to calypso... totally unfair... not sure why the PPs are accepting this injustice and monopoly.

That's the problem. Have seen it on Arkadia many, many times. New players come, learning the basic with help from advisers and then leave to Caly because they think it is easier to "survive" there. I have no idea how to solve this problem for PPs. :(

IMO MA did well. New planets must come with their own player base.
And when I look into future planet plans - i see them as different games.

So with the new Space we can keep them apart, and at the same time accessible.

So with the new Space we can keep them apart,

That will make things even worse....most new people starting in other planets will creat a new account... why..

1. more players (not deserted)
2. more trading opportunities
3. more mission to skill up faster.

what is the incentive to stay on the new planets... given the adventage one can get by restarting in calypso..

It's not hypothetical......I've seen it too many time!

Knowing the existance of calypso, a new player with reasonable intelligence won't stay on the new planet..

A lot of you are saying calypso grew slowly the hard way..... well then there were no competitions... now we have a planet that gives much more opportunities and adventages...

Last edited:
Why this desire to keep the planets apart? Theres a whole fkn universe and I want to enjoy all of it. Sure PPs need to draw in a new playerbase, but as an existing player I want to enjoy this game to its full potential. Instead I am channelled into having a primary planet with most of my gear stored there. Is it that Caly players are worried the new planets will draw off all of the Caly player base? Cos I dont see that's happening - Caly economy is really very strong compared to anywhere else. Reality is Caly would get more of my play time if it wasnt such a pain in the arse to travel between Caly and other places.

Regards,
KikkiJikki

Is it that Caly players are worried the new planets will draw off all of the Caly player base? KikkiJikki

This is a big conflict of interest to older established player who have invested in calypso

Good posts here.

Looks like MA are not sure if this is 1 universe with many planets or may games with 1 engine.
I dont know what is it too.

If they are diferent games why I want to go to planets where the main activity can be making farms and growing trees, dansing moonwalk or ..

my point is that if players on Rocktropia are there for the music and dont give a damn about your economy - they may stay there. I guess this is what MA/PP want. But if all players are like Calypsians - want to shoot and want working economy then PP are attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis.

So every planet must make a choice to be unique and separated from the others or to be connected with the others. Now we see something in between.

Ofcource we don't know what future will bring. Space flight may become cheaper and safer and quicker.

Until then free tip for Neverdie - remove the tax from estates.

Do you think that EVE is pissing their pants laughing at this attempt at space? I bet they are.

No, I am not.

BTW, you so hardly comparing EU with eve-o - so, maybe you aware of current problems in eve-o?

As long as ND keeps his filthy pawsoff it it should do just fine. Considering the amount of turnover arkadia has after not even a year of operation, I would say it is not doing badly (despite being an LA rapefest)

I just want to know how the other planet partners feels about this situation.

How about a warp adition to quadwings and sleps. Like in Starwars where they have a unit that stays up in space they dock to inorder for the smaler ships to reach warp or lightspeed. Not nesaseraly like in starwars but something simular that you can spawn out in space and dock to.

A second thing is the socalled enlargement of space or more correct the shrinking of you and your ship. What they did is shrink the ship down, scaled down speed to match new size, shrunk down savezones but kept viewing distance about the same. Its now possible to setup a baracade inside a savezone with only 6 ships spread out evenly in all axis from the center. A lone pirate on the more abandoned savezones can now easaly camp the entire savezone alone. Take a look at Arkadia Space station where that one asshole always sits in the center in the passanger seat and assoon as you leave viewing distance he sets chase, now this is not quite a problem for a Quadwing but on a sliepner it is imposible to sneak away unoticed by going out of viewing distance a bit then altering direction because there is realy no space left in the savezone from when you leave viewing distance from the center. From my experiments in my old ship it took about 2 seconds before I hit PVP space from leaving viewing distance from him so even if you try and ajust direction a bit or try and make a run for it you can not escape.

I agree the way MA is going about space is fucking retarded and to be honest a complete dissapointment from what they wore selling back when the rumors started, I only travel semi regularly now compared to 2 times a day before the enlargment of space and sins then I got a quadwing but with the savezone size being so retarded its really to much of a pain in the ass waiting for a gap in pirates to get out, sometimes trying to savely get out of the savezone takes longer then the actual flight.

To be honest I'm starting to consider just calling it quits and leaving the game altogether because everything is devaluating and it seems every change MA makes only negatively impacts the other planets and is aimed at getting the new players those planets worked hard for to go to Calypso. Above this isue with space It's clear that Calypso has special rights above the other planets and they can do wtf they want while not giving the go ahead for even the most basic stuff other planets request. Then with every new System that comes out Calypso already have content ready and waiting that gets launched at basicaly the same time while the other planets only get the tools to start developing when the system comes online witch basicaly comes down to insider trading. I just cant help but feel that this entire expansion of EU into multiple planets is actualy just a scheem MA developed to get other companies to pay money to EU and also use theire own money to adverties Calypso.

The way things are going IRL and ingame with all this BS Kim and the rest of MA is up to I really fear the end is near for this once awsome and now crap game.

The way things are going IRL and ingame with all this BS Kim and the rest of MA is up to I really fear the end is near for this once awsome and now crap game.

Funny, I feel quite the opposite... I have been gone for years just watching but not playing. Now I am back full time and I find the universe to be more awesome than ever - I feel space is new and exciting wih many new tactics and possibilities (and something that made me return from hibernation) and I look forward to seeing space and EU in general to develop in the years to come.

Sbi

They should just remove pvp period.

Space is bigger, to accomodate more planets.
The fact they have crippled space with pvp is the thing here. Not many will risk moving items from 1 planet to another.
Auction to, crippled, only planet specific.

I would not like to be a planet partner either.

I would just like to know, why was space made pvp to begin with, and who's bright idea was this?

Remove pvp, and i'll travel to other planets more, keep pvp, and it may get a one time visit.
Hell, dont hardly go to CP/Foma anymore cuz of some bright sparks pvp idea.

They should just remove pvp period.

Space is bigger, to accomodate more planets.
The fact they have crippled space with pvp is the thing here. Not many will risk moving items from 1 planet to another.
Auction to, crippled, only planet specific.

I would not like to be a planet partner either.

I would just like to know, why was space made pvp to begin with, and who's bright idea was this?

Remove pvp, and i'll travel to other planets more, keep pvp, and it may get a one time visit.
Hell, dont hardly go to CP/Foma anymore cuz of some bright sparks pvp idea.

Spot on. Wonder when that lootable space bug will be removed :) The only reason for me not hunting on the other planets is that it's a hassle now that we can't just TP directly moving loot easy and fast. I guess it's the same for many other players that just hunt/craft/mine and don't want to bother with the PVP aspect of the game.

POTENTIAL RANT WARNING! :cool:

Quads are not long range transports, so be thankful you can even get from planet to planet in them. :rolleyes:

Most of the other points you mention would not exist or would be considerably reduced if MA sorts out the mess they made with Privateers.

There are still a good number of Privateer owners who are not using them, and I am one of those. I am still an active player like many Privateer owners, but my activity is nothing like it was prior to MA's rush to release space before their summer break, part of which was to give me an incomplete ship and then expect me to be all excited about it.

The Privater looks great. It screams speed and is bristling with weapons, but in reality it's floating junk and another MA fail.

In addition to all the previous hype and expectation, in MA's own words ...

Dear Hangar Manager,

[SIZE=-1]I hope you have seen on our Buzz (http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/) that "there will be some special treats for our current hangar managers in this space release and a subsequent release.".

Today, in the first space release, you - as one of the hangar managers - will receive one of the first space thrusters to your Inventory. They are necessary to reach space with a Sleipnir (VTOL), Quad-Wing Interceptor (Medium Fighter) and potentially other ships in the future. Your thruster will be of unlimited type which is very rare for these items.

In a subsequent space release you will find a space craft in your Inventory of Privateer class. This is a large vessel that can take multiple passengers and carry heavy armament though it愀 a bit smaller than the Aniara Class Mothership.

We hope you find the space release as exciting as we do.

Best Regards,

MindArk
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]So MA's idea of one special treat was to provide hangar owners with a device for which they had no use other than to get to space in a vehicle that you had to purchase yourself because space had been introduced before the Privateers.

The other special treat was to give us the ship to replace the one they had taken away.

Solution: Make the hangars have some useful purpose and give the Privateers a unique to class ability.

The ship MA took away was functional, and in many cases had a significant tt and fuel (oil) value. The tt and fuel value of those ships has not been reimbursed, and the Privateers were supplied non functional. Upgrading isn't an issue and is actually a great feature. Expecting us to pay to complete the Privateer isn't.

Solution: Reimburse us for the value that you took away. Fit the Privateers with the basic level I (L) systems they require to be functional.

The Privateer is actually considerably smaller than the Aniara motherships, yet it still requires a number of crew to even be able to start to defend itself.

Solution: There is a mean looking forward facing cannon in front of the pilot. Make it so that this is controlled by the pilot, and fix the worse than Sleipnir paper thin armor.

If the Privateers can be flown and have basic defence against smaller craft with just a pilot they will be moved around in order to collect passengers and crew, thereby stimulating travel and trade.

Also consider fitting the Privateers with a small hangar able to hold a maximum of 2 Quad size craft. Motherships are the carriers and that's great and all, but all large ships should have a hangar of sorts even if it's just for the owner's private shuttle.

From a personal point I would also like to be able to name my Privateer. (Hint: after naming, you could make the renaming process for large ships a payable option ;) ).

And would you please also kindly have the space port authority move my ship to the Calypso space station. Putting it on the far side of the safe zone of FOMA was another example of bad planning and lack of consideration when I was located on Calypso at the time, and the last time I had visited FOMA was way before it's sale when it was still CND.

Nothing suggested above is unreasonable, costly or difficult to implement. Start delivering on your promises and look after your customers, and watch how we help take EU to the next level.

Potential rant over!

Funny, I feel quite the opposite... I have been gone for years just watching but not playing. Now I am back full time and I find the universe to be more awesome than ever - I feel space is new and exciting wih many new tactics and possibilities (and something that made me return from hibernation) and I look forward to seeing space and EU in general to develop in the years to come.

Sbi

You see opportunity where others see problems.

Well from what I've been told, CYRENE will blow us away so I expect people WILL try it either way :)

I don't really think space is much of a trouble, especially with the motherships providing warp service. I can get where i want pretty fast with close to zero risk of losing stackables. And it is way cheaper then teleporting used to be.

What would be a real boost for the planet partners if there was one universal auction and everybody could put stuff on it from any planet. Ofc that would mean there is no incentive to be a pirate anymore, so that would suck too. Maybe it's an idea to use a 'toxic-shot' kind of thing to make sure space vehicles always carry some loot?

From my personal impressions, I think Arkadia is doing ok. It sucks that Treasure Hunting is still not here, but otehrwise its shaping up nicely I think. There will always be old players from Calypso visting new planets and going badck, there is no helping that.

I'm not sure if the ongoing space situation is harming them, they did get some damage from the introduction of lootable space, esp with their initial blueprints taking resources from multiple planets.

My main suggestion to Arkadia - make a couple of more hunting mission chains like the Oro one.

That's the problem. Have seen it on Arkadia many, many times. New players come, learning the basic with help from advisers and then leave to Caly because they think it is easier to "survive" there. I have no idea how to solve this problem for PPs. :(

Actually I think the PP make the same income regardless where there player is. The important thing is what planet he/she started on. That decided who get the revenues.

Actually I think the PP make the same income regardless where there player is. The important thing is what planet he/she started on. That decided who get the revenues.

Not correct. It's been shown in other threads that the decay (ie income) split is:

25% to the planet partner where the player started
25% to the planet partner where the decay occurs
50% to MA

So where the player goes is as important as where they start.

Not correct. It's been shown in other threads that the decay (ie income) split is:

25% to the planet partner where the player started
25% to the planet partner where the decay occurs
50% to MA

So where the player goes is as important as where they start.

Thanks, so its equally important for PP´s to attract new players and focus on tourism.

Neverdie's still participating as are other planet partner avatars...

Neverdie Jacobs

Completed an achievement at Rocktropia
I completed the achievement "ROCKtropia Pilots Association"
Like · · October 27 at 2:02pm via Entropia Universe ·

Jon Neverdie Jacobs

I completed the achievement "Wright Brothers Away!"
RECENT ACTIVITY
Jon and Chasity Khalifa Londynn are now friends. · Like · · Add Friend
"..." on Lykke Schmitz's link.

Jon Neverdie Jacobs

I completed the achievement "Fly Like A G-6!"

Jon Neverdie Jacobs

I completed the achievement "Foo Fighter"

Jon Neverdie Jacobs

I completed the achievement "ROCKtropia Backpacker"

If Cyrene wants to get ahead, they could just have their avatars (which are in game right now already) go ahead and buy tons of quads and when the game starts officially and planet goes live, they simply just have to offer free flights and hire enough staff to keep the free bus service between Calypso and Cyrene going both way all day long 24 hours a day... build the travel cost in as part of the business model... maybe even cut a deal with MA to give a little more % of their profit to MA directly in exchange for free UL, non-decaying ships that they use for this sort of public transit service.... and/or even talk MA in to having NPCs do the trip as a free mission once an hour or something?

Maybe even buy a few mother ships to go with them and do big convoys once an hour or something.... buy enough upgrades that pirates would be stupid to even try to sneak a peak at the convoy that will shoot any would be pirates down in no time flat with their space army..simply keeping avatars going between these two planets with no fee... all day long, every day... Might start a trend where other planet partners do likewise. I suspect both MA and PPs would be happy with MA taking a few more % in profit share if they allow free tps over to the new planet and/or something like this free public transport offer... Some planets would do it in a heartbeat, others that are more greedy might want to keep relying on their own advertising instead, etc.

Last edited:
The OP is is based on the assumption that Cyrene will depend on the existing playerbase rather than advertise and bring in their own fresh players from outside the universe.

Frankly, I think they've put enough thought into the business plan to realize that they cannot depend on migration from other planets to create a large enough revenue base.

Besides, is driving cross-country on a motorcycle comfortable?

AG

My main suggestion to Arkadia - make a couple of more hunting mission chains like the Oro one.

This is planed for the next update later this month.

Status
Back