Mission Rewards Rebalancing

Status
Just to be clear, I never said all attribute rewards will be removed, because they wont. They will however be harder or easier to obtain depending on the mob, it makes little sense to award 1 strength for 100 Merp and 1 Strength for 5000 Kreltin. Most people also seem to vastly overestimate the usefulness of attributes vs skills even for higher level players. But yes I know it's cool having 100+ agility.

Clearly MindArk needed to impose some sort of restrictive guidelines on attributes or a planet partner could create ten new Merp-level mobs, give them all missions that award 1 agility for every 50 kills and suddenly everyone has 500 agility, and those hard earned naturally skilled agility points are suddenly worthless.

This was asked for from the beginning. ;) Yep, I agree most definitly, I also had the idea
that a 100 mission gave 0.01 gain in a attribute, a 1k mission gives 0.1 gain and a 10k gives
a ful gain.

Just to be clear, I never said all attribute rewards will be removed, because they wont. They will however be harder or easier to obtain depending on the mob, it makes little sense to award 1 strength for 100 Merp and 1 Strength for 5000 Kreltin. Most people also seem to vastly overestimate the usefulness of attributes vs skills even for higher level players. But yes I know it's cool having 100+ agility.

Clearly MindArk needed to impose some sort of restrictive guidelines on attributes or a planet partner could create ten new Merp-level mobs, give them all missions that award 1 agility for every 50 kills and suddenly everyone has 500 agility, and those hard earned naturally skilled agility points are suddenly worthless.

I do agree with the above. High attributes are cosmetic. No nerf here imo.

Most people also seem to vastly overestimate the usefulness of attributes vs skills even for higher level players. But yes I know it's cool having 100+ agility.

I think that MA vastly UNDERestimates just how pissed off people get when over and over the skills systems are changed to benefit the players who have been here the longest.
The usefulness of the attributes was never the question so much as the fact that previous generations played according to different rules than the newer generations.
It's an issue of fairness, not utility.

No, this is not necessarily a "nerf" to all missions.

In general there will be a heavier focus on skill rewards rather than attributes, or mission tokens.
All missions will have their Nova Fragment rewards replaced with skill rewards. Skill rewards will be calculated in a way that will take into account the actual difficulty of the creature rather than just its health.

In the end this means that some missions will have their rewards increased while others will get decreased.

Also, this is a MindArk decision that all planet partners has to follow, but I do believe that skill rewards is in most cases, at least to low/mid level players much more valuable than attributes or Mission tokens. Also I know many are hesitant to complete missions that reward attributes because they want to get their attributes high before earning any through missions. This can actually prevent new players from reaching higher attribute levels because they gained a lot of points from missions while their attributes where still easy to obtain through normal activity.

This is not a good move for MindArk or any of the Planet Partners. The attributes that were given for the mission are why I do the missions. Because as you have said the attributes slow way down when you reach 80 and 90 you can pretty much forget ever trying to get 100 in that attribute. This change is not good at all. With the missions at least you would be able to get to 100 in any particular attribute with natural skilling up to 80 and then obtaining the additional ones through the missions. The only way I could see this skill nerfing of missions benifiting anyone is if you UN-NERF attribute gains to a degree in which it will gain a little bit faster than it is already now... because as it stands it can take nearly 1-2 years for any avatar to go from 100 agility to 101 agility... this is not good at all.

The only good change that you speak of is the Nova fragments that are rewarded at the 5k mission rewards. I was HESITANT to do those missions before because it is very discouraging to get a stack of fragments from mobs let alone as a prize for killing 5k of them.

I would also like to know what ever happened to the voting system that is supposed to come with the CLD's? Doesn't this particular issue infringe on the fact that you have not asked the colonists if this would be a good change? All it seems to be doing is increasing revenues for you in a short time period, this will not work for your over all bottom line. I forsee many people quitting after this additional mission-skill-nerf..

~Danimal

When has MA ever, EVER given us 4 month upfront notice of any nerf??

Exactly, never, they usually just nerf it and tell us then about it.

So, why now? Why do they generously give us 4 month to complete the missions when they do not even plan to "nerf" them, just to "adjust" them?

There is a simple answer: The sale of the CLDs didn't bring in enough fresh deposits (because people bought them from money they already had ingame), and now we are back to where we've been last summer - MA needs deposits. And my loot says exactly the same.
(btw, you CANT force me to deposit more, you'll just make me play less)

MA, you are playing a risky game - if your decisions will not work as expected you will only just kill the game. Or are you already so desperate that you stopped caring about the future of EU, as long as the recent bills are paid?

It's not like you have a long history of splendid decisions over at MA HQ.
If you are broke, maybe just TALK to players to help you over the hard times instead of just trying to milk them.

When it comes to people gaining something from MA, in a way that it is favorable to the player, MA is right on top of the issue to re-balance it, but when it comes to loot, it's been years that people complain that the situation is unsustainable but nothing happens.

Also, hooray for MA sticking it to the players with yet another nerf. Judging from Kim's past statements, I'll assume the "revised" rewards are all going to be those pathetic mission tokens. And I doubt it'll be more than like 20, for completing an entire bronze challenge while at that! :laugh:

If atributes really are so insignificant there would be no need for this nerf... *Ahem* "rebalancing", now, would there?

In general there will be a heavier focus on skill rewards rather than attributes, or mission tokens.
All missions will have their Nova Fragment rewards replaced with skill rewards. Skill rewards will be calculated in a way that will take into account the actual difficulty of the creature rather than just its health.

In the end this means that some missions will have their rewards increased while others will get decreased.

Also, this is a MindArk decision that all planet partners has to follow, but I do believe that skill rewards is in most cases, at least to low/mid level players much more valuable than attributes or Mission tokens. Also I know many are hesitant to complete missions that reward attributes because they want to get their attributes high before earning any through missions. This can actually prevent new players from reaching higher attribute levels because they gained a lot of points from missions while their attributes where still easy to obtain through normal activity.

Put it this way so you'll understand how important I think attributes are... I'm currently doing Longtooth OUT of migration season for 1 Atility gain...

~Danimal

This is not a good move for MindArk or any of the Planet Partners. The attributes that were given for the mission are why I do the missions. Because as you have said the attributes slow way down when you reach 80 and 90 you can pretty much forget ever trying to get 100 in that attribute. This change is not good at all. With the missions at least you would be able to get to 100 in any particular attribute with natural skilling up to 80 and then obtaining the additional ones through the missions. The only way I could see this skill nerfing of missions benifiting anyone is if you UN-NERF attribute gains to a degree in which it will gain a little bit faster than it is already now... because as it stands it can take nearly 1-2 years for any avatar to go from 100 agility to 101 agility... this is not good at all.

~Danimal

Attributes really don't do anything special. I could have all my agility removed and it would just lower some of my professional levels by 1% and decrease my hit points by 1 or 2.

The only attributes that give you a nominal positive effect are strength now that it increases your inventory carry weight.

Attributes are pretty meaningless except for showing off. What does 100 in attribute give you except bragging rights?

It is not like someone could chip in any of those points.. so how would they be worthless? :scratch2:

~Danimal

typical entropia binfest, oh isnt it terrible there will be a change. even though Charlie|Calypso has clarified some points, those are turned into negative doom. its all to make up for the revenue of poor CLD or something.

reading between the lines, attirubtes will be awarded for slightly higher level/later missions. this would make sence, its daft as it is that kill 50 merp (whatever) gives an attribute gain when a player at the level to be hunting 50 merp will be gaining attirubtes quite quickly through normal play. so move the attribute gains to say, kill 5000 merp, or kill 100 Aurli, to reflect that by then the play may have exhausted the "natural" rate of attribute increase.

of course this does mean we'll probably have some later/higher missions currently giveing out several tens of ped TT worth of skills giving a single strength or agility attribute. cue complaints thats not fair...

It is not like someone could chip in any of those points.. so how would they be worthless? :scratch2:

~Danimal

Time can be valuable to.

I know a lot of people now see it as the ubers back in the days used to get 10 agility in a week just for free doing nothing, but that really isn't true. Yes it was easier back then, but they did work really hard for those points. Does it really matter? No not really, except for something to show of.

I think that MA vastly UNDERestimates just how pissed off people get when over and over the skills systems are changed to benefit the players who have been here the longest.
The usefulness of the attributes was never the question so much as the fact that previous generations played according to different rules than the newer generations.
It's an issue of fairness, not utility.

Well in this case the change will benefit the newer players since it will be easier to get skills instead of attributes that barely do anything. So it's the opposite of what you are saying.

Well in this case the change will benefit the newer players since it will be easier to get skills instead of attributes that barely do anything. So it's the opposite of what you are saying.
Still not true, unless we have a situation like aridash mentioned, where the attributes simply move to later points in the iron chain. But they are taken out, no, it would not be beneficial to anyone.

Im so excited to finish the 5k atrox mission. I dont know how i will spend my 1000 nova...

lol.. what i mean to say is someone has been playing in the HORSE SHIT. (Mindark)

without trying to be cynical or sarcastical, or at least trying to hold me back for once

why not add some choice
leave the existing missions as they are, add new ones, which give the funky skill reward
then check who does which mission the most and you prolly get a good idea what ppl like more

as to the skill reward
i have fairly high skills as well, 10-30 ped tt in one of my higher skills isnt going to change much
however, strength to carry more, agility to run faster (well, after several "rebalancing" acts from MA side that is way slower than it used to be tho), stamina to an actual increase in HP
that are things that are useful behind the plain skill increase or professional effect
maybe, just maybe, could this be a reason to do the missions at all?
this question goes directly to the MA ppl, also without trying to be mean
did you ever, really ever, try to do one of your 10k missions, for example on molisks
in case someone did (what i doubt, at least not without a marco gun), did you notice what kind of "hide and seek" (bad spawn for many) long term grinding it is?
and you do that for skills? you get skills during the 10k already
one of the few reasons to really go for this hide and seek long term grinding are the "useful" attributes

that new players may be held of with that and wait til they have more, that is true,
i know cases where that happened
but, maybe instead of nerf..., i mean rebalancing the missions, maybe consider some choice
and that could be a fairly simple one, simply split the reward attributes
basically you would have this
normal attribute+mission attributes=final
your normal skilling would still go to your normal attributes, thus doing missions wouldnt slow them down, not even for the fresh 1 agility newbie
yet they would have the benefits

now the fun thing starts
this option would benefit pretty much everyone and may actually be positive for everyone
at least, the point of "newbies may do it" is otherwise solveable

the easy part isnt necessarily the most useful for the players
besides, just increase the skill reward additional to the attributes, nothing against that

in either case, the rebalancing gonna be interesting
so far it had always been a nerf, sometimes more obvious sometimes less, but in either case interesting
it is good to know that the missions are one of the top priorities tho :)

When has MA ever, EVER given us 4 month upfront notice of any nerf??

Exactly, never, they usually just nerf it and tell us then about it.

Well, when has MA previously said when introducing something "And if we nerf it, we will let you know in advance" ? Except they did when missions came out, and now they are keeping their word. I don't think there is too much need to think ulterior motives into this this time.

Oh yes, and I do think i can dig up the original quote on that if you want me to.

In order to provide a fair, exciting and challenging experience for all Entropia Universe participants, revised guidelines for proper balancing of mission rewards have been provided to the Planet Partners.

This should be interesting... :eyecrazy:

Not necessarily. LMAO!!! :laugh:

No matter what you think of the rest of it, this is good and should have been introduced at the start.

This... :wise:

Why do they generously give us 4 month to complete the missions when they do not even plan to "nerf" them, just to "adjust" them?

There is a simple answer: The sale of the CLDs didn't bring in enough fresh deposits (because people bought them from money they already had ingame), and now we are back to where we've been last summer - MA needs deposits. And my loot says exactly the same.

...and this. :wise:

What about players that did the missions and got novas for 5k mobs, such as trox/feff/spider ?
Will they have mission "refund"?

Can this please be answered?

Should I stop my 5k missions? Should I wait?
Come on this is not fair to keep EVERYONE in the dark like this.

Last edited:
Time can be valuable to.

Yes. And after this announcement, we will all have a dilemma -
  1. will we undertake a 5K mission giving novas, and then 10K before august
  2. or will we wait and get a useful reward for the 5K mission afterwards, and be better off waiting?

Couldn't you give at least some insights? Or a timeline when we will know which missions will change how, so we can make educated decisions? Could you ask MindArk if they could publish these guidelines to more than just the planet partners? Failing that, could you find out if you could publish an example template for a mob ? Lets say Prancer or Igni or some other mob you don't plan on making an actual mission on?

It would make our lives easier, and many people would have less reasons to flame you.

What about players that did the missions and got novas for 5k mobs, such as trox/feff/spider ?
Will they have mission "refund"?

please!
i give the novas back too, if you want i throw in some blazars

Well I have no idea what this balancing is about but if you believe and I say this alledgedly...

We recently had some phase II missions on Rocktropia and to be honest soem nice rewards, regardless of wether or not these rewards are actually useful in real terms. (I suggest tho is they are not then gamemaker should come clean and say yo have all been wasting your time). However, why should we pay for what may have been a misunderstanding between planet partners. I say leave it as it is balancing is just moving the goal posts here.

I have 5x 10k missions numerous 5k ones to complete. Many people same. If there is some short sitedness here dont penalise us please just blame yourselves and get over it.

lol, balanced like the daily quests & the tokens are?
This is a sad sad week..

Well I have no idea what this balancing is about but if you believe and I say this alledgedly...

We recently had some phase II missions on Rocktropia and to be honest soem nice rewards, regardless of wether or not these rewards are actually useful in real terms. (I suggest tho is they are not then gamemaker should come clean and say yo have all been wasting your time). However, why should we pay for what may have been a misunderstanding between planet partners. I say leave it as it is balancing is just moving the goal posts here.

I have 5x 10k missions numerous 5k ones to complete. Many people same. If there is some short sitedness here dont penalise us please just blame yourselves and get over it.

I don't think its about fault or they need to "fix"
I strongly beleive like many others stated:

They are giving a huge notice so players can DEPOSIT, buy a comfy couch and waste their summer grinding mobs to finish up these hard worked on missions.
Its for revenue over the summer as lots of people take time off and I don't think they do as well.

I don't think its about fault or they need to "fix"
I strongly beleive like many others stated:

They are giving a huge notice so players can DEPOSIT, buy a comfy couch and waste their summer grinding mobs to finish up these hard worked on missions.
Its for revenue over the summer as lots of people take time off and I don't think they do as well.
Yeah, and you know what - I don't have a problem with that. They need revenue. It's fine. But when they make a permanent change so they can get more cash now - that's when it becomes a problem.

lol, balanced like the daily quests & the tokens are?
This is a sad sad week..

Agreed... this is a very bad time. We are currently in the middle of a bot event (oh wait that sucks since its all shared loots, so I dont participate). Skill reward nerfs... what next? I can tell you what will be in my forseable future, no more deposits for a long long time. Cash out? (leaning that way).

~Danimal

I guess my question is twofold...

Is the rebalancing going to make the missions more like the current rextelum & traeskeron missions? I don't mean just in how the skills are dished out a tiny bit at each level, but also how the mission is based on points instead of kills.

If this is the case, will gains be retroactive for missions still active? I mean, if I am sitting at 300/10k on a particular mission, will that translate to 1800/60k points, or will there be a determination that out of those 300 killed, I killed 8 providers, 12 guardians, etc...

Okay, so I guess my question is threefold... or more... who knows?

If an iron mission is still open... say the kreltin iron mission, where all of the first levels give attribute gains, with a choice of skill gain upon completion of the 10k. Now, say the mission is changed, and the 290 ped handgun (or one of the other choices) is decreased, and say 30 ped aim was given for 1k kills, 50 ped inflict ranged damage given for 5k kills, with the 10k kills skill rewrd changed from 290 ped handgun to 150 ped handgun...

Will the skill gains be retroactive in this instance, or will the person that's well into the 10k kills just be outta luck?

If the rewards will not be retroactive, will there be a "grandfathering" for missions... particularly for those who are on the 10k portion, so they may get the reward they were began the mission to begin with?

TBH, it took me a long time to get to the 10k portion of the kreltin mission, and cannot see completing it prior to this August date... though nothing is impossible. I think I would be a bit annoyed, so say the least, if I managed to kill 9500 of the 10k, only to log in and find out that I would no longer receive 290 ped handgun, which is why I started the mission to begin with.

Sorry for the long posting... hope you can sort out the questions, and provide some answers. :)

Agreed... this is a very bad time. We are currently in the middle of a bot event

Understand the frustration. And we havnt got any answers of the rewards or when and where the other robot parts going to loot. How much peds are we goiong to get into this event before u guys at MA start talking.

The thing i getting frustrated over is when we never get any answers.

Do i have to take the buss down to u guys on järntorget and ask u face to face? Its only 30 min away for me :)

... but I do believe that skill rewards is in most cases, at least to low/mid level players much more valuable than attributes...
Attributes was only one reason to do missions for me :(

Flaw in mission design, and a bit late that you notice that 20 to 21 agility is only a small fraction of the same reward for someone with 90 agility.

But hey, at least you noticed (after what, over 1 year?)
Yep, it could be fixed in several hours of programming (at most) - just give untradable "Attributes Implant + Inserter Combo" with required Attributes inside and zero TT value (something like "Anti-Toxic Shot", but with Attributes, it should be stackable but not lootable).

So you could finish missions whenever you want, but you will decide by yourself when you want use Attributes boost.

I was wondering since day one why they didn't choose that way, and that main reason, why I have a lot of finished missions, that I can't pass (since my Attributes still far from cap).

Well, when has MA previously said when introducing something "And if we nerf it, we will let you know in advance" ? Except they did when missions came out, and now they are keeping their word.

MA has promised so much throughout all the years, EU should be renamed to "Boulevard of broken promises".

Actions, that's what i base my judgement upon.
Promises are just words.

I don't think there is too much need to think ulterior motives into this this time.

Bought CLDs, eh?

All i said here is just words, too - time will prove me wrong... or right.

Status
Back