An Open Letter to MindArk Concerning Scams and Mistakes

BattleAxe

Provider
Indestructible BattleAxe OfPain
[Note to moderators: I wasn't entirely certain where to post this, as I'm not sure what category it falls under. If you want to move it to a different section, I'm fine with that, and apologize for the inconvenience.]

Dear MindArk,

Many, many of fallen prey, both in recent times and in the past, to scammers, as most know well. However, there are also many mistakes which are made. Recently, we've all felt very sorry for Wildman/Lazz and ToddFoxBurgess, due to their significant losses (the Evil amp and the 10 CLDs), but neither of them was scammed. They made mistakes, nothing more, but those mistakes cost them a significant amount of money. Now, I realize that we cannot punish people for getting a good deal (e.g. the person that bought the 10 CLDs for 500 PED), but surely there must be something done, and soon, to prevent people from loosing so much just from a mistake. Here is the system I would recommend implementing:

1. A Trade Terminal "reversal" button. With in the first five minutes of selling anything to a trade terminal, you can reclaim the item for the cost of the TT value of the item. Optionally, you could also charge a 50 PEC fee for this service, which would cover the cost of the time it takes you to create and implement it.

2. The option to file a support case to reclaim any items with a TT value or Mark Up of 1,000 PED+. The items would have to have no previous records of being traded to or from a person (if someone temporarily lends someone an item, the person shouldn't have the ability to trade the item back to the person, and then file a support case), and which were either "given" away, or were traded for 50% or less of their current Monthly Mark Up. In such a case, support would be given the ability to reverse the trade. Of course, if something was traded in return (which falls under the 50%- area), if it's MU was enough to compensate for the value of the other item, then of course no action would be taken. None of this would apply to the auction, but only to trades made outside of the auction.

3. A five minute auction "reclaim" time, for items sold at a buy-out of 75% or less of its current Monthly Mark Up.

I believe these measures will drastically reduce costly mistakes, as well as certain types of in game scams.

Thank you for your time MindArk, and I truly hope you decide to listen to these recommendations, and implement them in the near future.

Another idea that comes to mind is if you buy an item, there is a grace period of xx minutes before you can resell it. Perhaps apply this to only big ticket items. YMMV

You forgot to add suggestion about "lock button" to any item, that will make it untradable, before you will unlock it.

You forgot to add suggestion about "lock button" to any item, that will make it untradable, before you will unlock it.

I hadn't considered that, it's a fantastic idea though. Thank you for mentioning it.

I hadn't considered that, it's a fantastic idea though. Thank you for mentioning it.
Not my idea at all :)

But it's more than logical and it was mentioned million times in suggestions section of forum and many other games have it.
Still not in place and no any reply from MA about it as well :(

also, a key item... an untradable key to go for every item locked.

Lock the key in your apartment... can't unlock it til you have the key and the locked item both in inventory and enter the secret password you created at the time key was created. Key would look similar to the mayhem keys... and just as untradable.

... Lock the key in your apartment... can't unlock it til you have the key and the locked item both in inventory and enter the secret password you created at the time key was created. ...

Also a good idea, but then we'd have people forgetting their password... Talk about a situation that could get bad quickly.

also, a key item... an untradable key to go for every item locked.

Lock the key in your apartment... can't unlock it til you have the key and the locked item both in inventory and enter the secret password you created at the time key was created. Key would look similar to the mayhem keys... and just as untradable.
Reminds me tale of "Koschei the Immortal" :lolup:

"His soul / replace it with key ;) / is hidden separate from his body inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest (sometimes the chest is crystal and/or gold), which is buried under a green oak tree, which is on the island of Buyan in the ocean."

I suport any ideas that can help in a situation where anyone made a bad misstake with expensive items in anyway.
I do understand that its not easy to do this tho, many factors to count with for sure.
Regards
Lazz

I would add to the list as mentioned many times before a loaning system is very much needed.

Mindark, as you read this, please remember the promises on your website:
http://www.entropiaplatform.com/entropia-platform/security/
MindArk aims to provide the safest online entertainment environment available. Safety and security is highly prioritized and MindArk has implemented functions on several levels to ensure this. Both Planet Partners and the participants on the planets should always feel safe in their endeavors in Entropia Universe.

I suport any ideas that can help in a situation where anyone made a bad misstake with expensive items in anyway.
I do understand that its not easy to do this tho, many factors to count with for sure.
Regards
Lazz

So whats the plan now Lazz?

Are you planning to deposit to buy your good friend Wildman a replacement evil amp?

It's a real pain, although that would be the honourable outcome to an unpleasent situation.

Rick.

So whats the plan now Lazz?

Are you planning to deposit to buy your good friend Wildman a replacement evil amp?

It's a real pain, although that would be the honourable outcome to an unpleasent situation.

Rick.

Yea i dont see any other solution to this atm m8, i am going to pay him in 12 days when i can afford to make the depo. But it also mean i have to take a break for a month untill i can depo again hehe ;)
Shit happens but i have to deal with it lol
Cheers m8

Just to add to this TT reclaiming. MA actually did fix this when Squall or whats the avatar name actually TTed his UL 106 amp or something. MA then implemented a 500 ped fee to reclaim items from TT machine. But I understand this only matters if u TT it :)

And MA actually added another "comfirm" button both to trade and tt machine so u would get another notifcation to look over your trade the 2nd time. IF I am correct.

Yea i dont see any other solution to this atm m8, i am going to pay him in 12 days when i can afford to make the depo. But it also mean i have to take a break for a month untill i can depo again hehe ;)
Shit happens but i have to deal with it lol
Cheers m8

You could try support with an offer of 1K peds for their time to recover the amp, you traded in error :)

Maybe also help MA do the trade with that avatar directly for 250 peds (so 1250 Total)

That way every one wins, and you took a smaller loss, and no one was blamed for the mistake.

No harm in asking. If it works out, then you don't have to take much of a break afterall.

I'm not saying this is a solution or even the right outcome or even if MA would agree to it, but it's an option that might get the best from the current worst position.

GL Lazz

Rick.

You could try support with an offer of 1K peds for their time to recover the amp, you traded in error :)

Maybe also help MA do the trade with that avatar directly for 250 peds (so 1250 Total)

That way every one wins, and you took a smaller loss, and no one was blamed for the mistake.

No harm in asking. If it works out, then you don't have to take much of a break afterall.

I'm not saying this is a solution or even the right outcome or even if MA would agree to it, but it's an option that might get the best from the current worst position.

GL Lazz

Rick.
Thx for the Tips m8 :)
I have a suport case going atm i gess i have to wait and see where that land, i doubt they would be willing to help much in this case tho cos its a PvP trade. But sure its allways worth a try i gess.
Been a different storry if i had TT it then it been no problem hehe
Cheers

Item trade lock would prevent 99% of all problems, no point messing up gameplay with auction delays.

Item trade lock would prevent 99% of all problems, no point messing up gameplay with auction delays.

Exactly my opinion. I don't want this reverse feature, its introduction to entropia would make the game a horror. For buyers, for sellers, for everyone - a system repacing avatar interaction with abitrary times to revoke the transaction will make the game duller, less predictable and less friendly. All trades are final, learn it by heart and learn how to handle the money responsibly. The day the above gets introduced is probably the day I quit entropia.

The item lock feature has been asked for by the community for a long long time. I can't for the life of me understand why MA hasn't implemented it.

Personally, I dont think there is any solution which will work 100% in preventing mistakes. As such i think the open letter should be to every player to not play Entropia when they are either 1. Too drunk or 2. Too Tired or 3. Too busy multi tasking.

Locking of an item makes sense but in the case of Lazz's "Evil Amp" Mistake or the 10 CLD's for 500 mistake, nothing can prevent it without causing severe discomfort to rest of the players. So i would say if anyone needs awareness, its the players themselves.

So personally i would only say an "ITEM LOCK" makes sense as lag and various other reasons can cause wrong item being traded by mistake. Rest is more an on onus on the players end to not making such mistakes.

As for loaning system in the game, that will be a game changer. I am not sure which way it will go so i would rather stay neutral on that front. I guess MA have there concerns too in this regards. MU of less available items will sky rocket while those that are more common will drop big time. I am not entirely sure if that's how we want things.

PS : I have lost a bunch of peds to such mistakes myself, but then that reminds me of my own stupidity/dumb headedness. :)

Also a good idea, but then we'd have people forgetting their password... Talk about a situation that could get bad quickly.

easy method would be a right click/lock and have to type in the letters A G R E E. Item is now locked but can be unlocked by right click/unlock BUT unlock takes 24h with a timer..

Another security measure is to prevent all peds from being bid on an auction without a set buyout.

Confirmation windows do not help much in these cases because the confirmation window pops up EVERY time, you just come to automatically click them. Just like agreeing to the EULA each time you start EU... biggest joke ever.

Please also refer to previous thread with safety features requests: HERE by giuly_adm

These include:
- Time delay (like 2 minutes) when you place item in auction. The item will show up after few minutes to allow seller to remove it in time when made mistakes. It might be only when item is placed in the average

- A message to advertise sellers that items have been placed in auction with a BO way lower than usual MU.

- A message to advertise sellers that there is an order for the item you are selling highest than sale price you set.

- A message to advertise bidders that the price for the item you are buying is highest than sale price records.

- Allow the "lock" of items you don't want to be accidentaly auctioned.

Item-LOCK toggle will also prevent TTing/dropping/trading of valuable items.

Back