Developer Notes #8

good point, but i think it is one thing to try to please customers more, its another to make such drastic changes, we saw this with the change to mining and crafting not too long ago, if you take a hammer to your systems in the hope of improving things it is more likely to do damage than to fix the problem.

dropping a hammer would be dropping ul enhancers.. reducing breakage of the enhancers is chiselling at best :laugh:

(L) still has its place. Majority of people cant afford to spend 2000+USD on a UL weapon, or many if they can cant justify it to spend that much on a virtual item in a computer game. So I don't think its MA favouring UL over (L).

For myself, and im guessing many others who use UL weapons, daily hunting I do without enhancers, purely because of the cost of them, and that they break so often. Having my enhancers last twice as long will definitely encourage me to use them more often. So if MU goes down due to lack of demand I win. Enhancers last twice as long, and MU increases, but stays below double the price they are now, I win.

For sure MA isn't doing this out of the kindness of there hearts, they must of done some models and worked out this will increase revenue for themselves, just so happens that it could well benefit hunters, crafters and miners all at the same times, or maybe just hunters, time will tell :)

Absolutely, (L) is not really gonna go away the issue i see with UL gear is the lack of economic movement it produces. Trying to boost the enhancer market is a good way to "patch up" the situation if they are going to continue on this road... its just that the road is made of gravel not asphalt ;).
Its not necessarily the 2000+USD UL items im concerned about, its not a big deal to have some items like that in game and it gives something to strive for. What im most concerned about is the more main stream implementations of such items, latest UL mission armor set from ark is a good example of this.

That's exactly what they're doing.

UL + Enhancers = mod (L)

Well yes and no, If they decide to continue to drop UL items in quantity(as they are now) then increasing enhancer usage on said items is a essencial task and has to be done. However revitalizing the enhancer market is a drop in the ocean compared to a revival of the currently stagnated crafted (L) armor market and the (L) tools/weapons markets.

Everyone seems to have forgotten the email survey from 2012 and its results, specifically these parts:

Here, a rain of sib UL items from loot and events.

No problem, let's make UL more appealing than L.

They just do what they think might please the playerbase, forgetting that you can't please everyone and that every attempt at it will backfire.

I haven't really forgotten about it i just think its a bad idea to listen to that type of player feedback :D. The truth is most people really dont look at the game from a macroeconomic standpoint and thats fine but it also means listening to those people on matters of the economy wont benefit the economic structure, rather it will most likely hurt it.

Best regards
Zweshi

Last edited:
dropping a hammer would be dropping ul enhancers.. reducing breakage of the enhancers is chiselling at best :laugh:

Especially if enhancers crafting is one of the residue biggest sources? "Chiseling", yeah.

50% decrease on enhancer use on UL weapons.

Well that tells me is that they want people spending money on tiering up UL stuff. Plus they may increase the number of people using unmaxed weapons as well.

And within a few months I think we'll see UL stuff dropping more often.

MA wouldn't do anything like this without the likely hood of it increasing their profit margin. Cynical but based on past experience.

Yup that's how i read it, too. My imk2 isn't at 2.9 because of the cost of using enhancers, but because i don't really want to have to pay hundreds of dollars more to "rebuy" my UL weapon. And that's just for tier 3...

So anyway, short version: Another installment in the serial jettisoning of the long-term health of the economy for another quick money grab... I looked up the word "backpedal" in the dictionary and there was a little company blurb for MA. :eyecrazy:

Announce such sensitive shit before implementation? Yeah, sure. Because it's not about hunt improvement, it's about mining nerf.

Dump your pyrite, dump your dianthus, dump your energized, guys. You're profiting too much.

(trollface.jpg)

It has nothing to do with a mining nerf.

The fact is that on many unl weapons, the prices have been dropping dramatically. Its not because the sky is falling, its not because everyone is withdrawing... its because of a few things:

1. Too many unl weapons of the same kind were looted over a short period
2. Many good (L) weapons with good DPS and good DPP have fallen in % so much that some of them are actually more economical than their unl counterpart. Most people dont realize that a lot of (L) items are balanced differently to compensate for the MU%.
3. We are entering our annual spring/summer market slow down.

Sure, there will be reverberations throughout the EU marketplace however this is a positive improvement overall. The reason its positive is that now there is a clear advantage to using unlimited weapons. There already are LOTS of advantages to using UL but now this makes it VERY clear.... and there has to be a clear advantage because there has to be more of a reason for people to want to own them thus causing that investment to take place.

Currently there are lots of people who use unlimited weapons but dont use damage enhancers. This likely will motivate a lot of them to start using the enhancers.

Myself, I already use them

Im glad they announced early because it likely will arrest the downswing in value on some items.

It has nothing to do with a mining nerf.

The fact is that on many unl weapons, the prices have been dropping dramatically. Its not because the sky is falling, its not because everyone is withdrawing... its because of a few things:

*skipped*

Im glad they announced early because it likely will arrest the downswing in value on some items.

Sure, it's always should be long and complicated to explain something which looks "serious".

We will see. As soon, as enhancers became cheaper due to lower demand - we will see.

And 50% lower breakage - twice more usage should be to compensate.

And IF this happens - then there will be double flow of TT-crap on the market from hunt.

Very nice way for MA to induce more decay without causing MU rising on something. Instead.

I always thought that prices on gear dictated by simple thing - what you can do with that gear. And if situation became worse and you can't do shit - you just simple selling this useless gear.

Sure, it's always should be long and complicated to explain something which looks "serious".

We will see. As soon, as enhancers became cheaper due to lower demand - we will see.

And 50% lower breakage - twice more usage should be to compensate.

Well, if Enhancers were cheaper, then even more hunters would use them. If they become too cheap, crafters won't craft them as much, yet demand will remand roughly constant and the market will balance itself out. If it can't, then MA will introduce a change.

I think your real concern is that through the potential rebalancing, somehow your Pyrite returns will diminish. If that happens, less miners will go looking for Pyrite and that situation will also balance out.

Don't forget though, the other major ingredient to crafting Enhancers is Output Amplifiers and generally those come from larger creatures.... Larger HP mobs generally require more DPS thus fueling the need for these Enhancers, and your Pyrite.

I wish they would re-balance existing L items instead of just adding more and more, Bring back the days of the korss 400, apis 485, svempa p5a, svempa x1, xt, to name a few and purge the blueprint books of useless tt crap.

I can't agree more, why all the generic parts disappeared ?

Well, if Enhancers were cheaper, then even more hunters would use them. If they become too cheap, crafters won't craft them as much, yet demand will remand roughly constant and the market will balance itself out. If it can't, then MA will introduce a change.

I think your real concern is that through the potential rebalancing, somehow your Pyrite returns will diminish. If that happens, less miners will go looking for Pyrite and that situation will also balance out.

Don't forget though, the other major ingredient to crafting Enhancers is Output Amplifiers and generally those come from larger creatures.... Larger HP mobs generally require more DPS thus fueling the need for these Enhancers, and your Pyrite.

Lack of knowledge about me I see in you. I don't care about pyrite. At all. I'm not mining it - it's waste of time and absolutely unjustified risk. But this is different topic.

If you think that I worry exclusively about myself - you're wrong. I'm not a fucking reseller, and I don't need to talk shit. I will just try to show in two picture about my "real concern". I talking about it many times, but no one gives a fuck.

What was before:

X5ERgbu.png

What is NOW:

u1L4iS9.png

You get it, or I need to comment?

Looks more like "bulldick" maybe? Tho, thank you for very constructive comment.

is as constructive as your picture. You are just spreading lies.

That hunting circle should at least penetrate the crafting circle a little.

Im not fucking Vincent-Raphael van Salvador you know? The picture is just rough.

Yes, there is still "connection" in enhancers craft. Very rare "gambling" craft runs. The rest is just mining-craft masturbation.

Great update..

imk2 :wtg:

Why?

People simply loot or buy L or UL sib weapons (which are looted) and armor (which is looted) and hunt and throw the loot in the tt, because markup is non existent.

No need for mining or crafting.

Let me check my gear right now:

I have a baringer tagger
I have shagadi swords
I have aakas fire daggers
I have gravis gbr-34
I wear viceroy or liakon armor

the only things that are crafted are my f105 finder which I rarely use, the fi-ra-co amps and the 5b plates

I used to use p5a guns or apis but now that all stuff is looted from multiple planets who needs a crafted weapon?
Even if atau and btau loots again today, how many will use the old L guns if igni, kallous, spirit and enigma guns keep dropping?
Mindark killed the crafting of weapons on caly really efficiently. And the a-team does a good job too with the piron guns which are often better than the herman crafted versions.

Why?

People simply loot or buy L or UL sib weapons (which are looted) and armor (which is looted) and hunt and throw the loot in the tt, because markup is non existent.

No need for mining or crafting.

Let me check my gear right now:

I have a baringer tagger
I have shagadi swords
I have aakas fire daggers
I have gravis gbr-34
I wear viceroy or liakon armor

the only things that are crafted are my f105 finder which I rarely use, the fi-ra-co amps and the 5b plates

I used to use p5a guns or apis but now that all stuff is looted from multiple planets who needs a crafted weapon?
Even if atau and btau loots again today, how many will use the old L guns if igni, kallous, spirit and enigma guns keep dropping?
Mindark killed the crafting of weapons on caly really efficiently. And the a-team does a good job too with the piron guns which are often better than the herman crafted versions.

do you speak on behalf of the whole community?

Im not fucking Vincent-Raphael van Salvador you know? The picture is just rough.

Yes, there is still "connection" in enhancers craft. Very rare "gambling" craft runs. The rest is just mining-craft masturbation.

If amplifier crafting is the only thing you consider crafting, sure.

If amplifier crafting is the only thing you consider crafting, sure.

U see many weapons crafted?

U at all see something crafted, except amps by one crafter and ruds/springs/shit for residue? And enhancers?

I mean - crafted - not couple of clicks for something?

This telling something to you?

lcVFb7b.png

U at all see something crafted, except amps by one crafter and ruds/springs/shit for residue? And enhancers?

lcVFb7b.png

The proportion between hunting/ mining/ crafting globals is the same since forever...

There is maybe less overall, but the proportion is the same..

LOL!
but good points overall salvador, if you take out amps, finders, faps, and enhancers then most of what goes for crafting these days seems to be hunters burning through their TT materials.
but there is little we can do about that if MA does not make changes at the top, something that has been true for years and years. its not the first time i say that it feels more like MA has a psychologist as balancing manager than a economist.

LOL!
but good points overall salvador, if you take out amps, finders, faps, and enhancers then most of what goes for crafting these days seems to be hunters burning through their TT materials.
but there is little we can do about that if MA does not make changes at the top, something that has been true for years and years. its not the first time i say that it feels more like MA has a psychologist as balancing manager than a economist.

Amps, finders, mining depth enhancers - all that shit is mining auxiliary. What remains for hunt - faps (a drop in the ocean) and enhancers. Guns - zero.

Fuck, just look at history graphs of resources turnovers - and you see this shit. Im not talking about MU on most of resources, which is below any survival limit.

The proportion between hunting/ mining/ crafting globals is the same since forever...

There is maybe less overall, but the proportion is the same..

Really? Mining - maybe. Now look at this:

Top hunters all time:

hgw9fhd.png

Top crafters all time:

CywNrC5.png

lcVFb7b.png

Crfating and mining shall be liquidated and whole EU shall be hunt only ( well...they might be separated for some time )

Are you guys forgetting that MA gets money from Item decay? If more people use enhancers due to lasting twice as long. chang ching! Its a very good move for MA. As for demand MU should relatively stay the same if users increases about close to 100%, other wise crafters will just make it less available to you to keep the MU high.

I don't craft my enhancers due to the time it consumes me to make them even though I can craft them myself. I support regular crafters by buying their goods and supplying them with fresh Output Amplifiers. :)

I like this 50% comsumption I burn so much enhancers per run. I bet MM+enhancers users are the most pleased. Don't forget the range enhancers for mining, my god those break like crazy and the MU is just :jawdrop:

Are you guys forgetting that MA gets money from Item decay? :

It no doubt will boost hunting and add some to MA's bottoms line, and that's a good thing.

Another thing that would do the same is unlimited melee amplifiers. Just think of armor decay and defensive expenses from close range hunting. MA needs to stop dragging their ass and implement the damn amplifiers already.

What is NOW:

u1L4iS9.png

You get it, or I need to comment?

Your observation is roughly correct. Hunting has always been and will always continue to be the dominant profession simply because it has the highest amount of entertainment value.

Each of the three professions relies on materials provided by the the other two and the balance now is different then it used to be. It's going to be quite interesting to see which direction MA steers the balancing ship.

I suspect that MA wants to increase the crafted consumption of hunters. As they found out, doing that exclusively with (L) guns doesn't work well long term. Market dynamics and human nature will always cause the values of those (L) guns to fall too low causing crafters to not craft them after they crafted them way too much... And we see Arkadia managing resource scarcity instead of blueprint scarcity as a result.

Enhancers have proven be be a fantastic way to cause hunters, and even miners to consume more crafted goods. Crafted amps, mining amps, armors, etc also contribute to consumable crafted items.

I know that MA has plans for crafted melee amps, those also will help, however any amp that's (L) with a MU% will be rejected by the majority of hunters.

Because melee items have no range and because the amps are still in development, I don't see any reason for there to be the standard 50% of damage in amp size restriction. With melee we can go bigger, maybe 100% of max damage or even bigger.

MA can easily release unlimited melee amps with good damage and good Eco through (L) blueprints and also in hunting loot. Doing it that way would allow them to control how many are in circulation at any given time. They also can release super high damage crafted (L) melee amps for people who want balls-to-the-wall DPS.

In order for hunters as a whole to embrace melee hunting, there has to be a clear DPS advantage with at least reasonable DPP.

It's my hope that when we finally do see melee amps that MA doesn't over complicate them. They simply need to function just like the existing weapon amps do.

Last edited:
It no doubt will boost hunting and add some to MA's bottoms line, and that's a good thing.

Another thing that would do the same is unlimited melee amplifiers. Just think of armor decay and defensive expenses from close range hunting. MA needs to stop dragging their ass and implement the damn amplifiers already.

A lot of melee weapons were designed in mind there will be no amps. The problem is that everything needs to be in balance somehow, you cannot now simply introduce melee amps and make big number of melee weapons superior in ECO compared to everything else, this would just bring unbalance to the whole system.

The mistake from their side was to even publicly think about them :)

The whole general eco of population affects a lot, that's why way back you were fine shooting with even 2.8 , now practically 2.9 is the base level to start with..

A lot of melee weapons were designed in mind there will be no amps. The problem is that everything needs to be in balance somehow, you cannot now simply introduce melee amps and make big number of melee weapons superior in ECO compared to everything else, this would just bring unbalance to the whole system.

The mistake from their side was to even publicly think about them :)

The whole general eco of population affects a lot, that's why way back you were fine shooting with even 2.8 , now practically 2.9 is the base level to start with..

No, the mistake was to ever allow UL SIB with eco similar to L SIB. Limited melee has such a horrible eco that to get anywhere near decent levels, big, low MU amps are needed. As a guess, they will end up with:

• no UL amps for UL melee
  • damage oriented amps that have bad eco
  • eco oriented amps that suck up MU from weapon
  • combined amps would still have sucky eco.

Eco enhancing amps on unlimited melee would just end up being cut down after a couple of months, so why do it in the first place.

Back