Planet Calypso - The Next Chapter

MA now run Calypso once again, so give them a year to get things back on track :) and rename another company to hand calypso over to which we then have to give a year to get things in shape and restructure. and then rince repeat.

http://www.mindark.com/partners/

Musical chairs.

The only thing MA is good at its "balance" = Nerfs.:laugh:

It is the only thing we can exept from them.:wise:

The excessive workload PE heaps on my PCs recources finally fried my GFX card. Radeon 4670, bought not even 2 years ago to make my system ready for PE again.

In the past this would have lead to a slight panic and a frantic search for a/the solution. New PC? Nex gfx card? Update current PC as good as possible? Need... solution... fast... HELP...!!

These days how ever...
I plugged in the trusty Radeon X1300 card which got replaced by the 4670. Everything on my desktop and internet is just a tiny bit slower. So the PC is still working properly.
Logged into PE, set all settings to low, still no FPS AT ALL. Logged off and... Well, that was it....

No Panic, no frantic need for a solution. Not a single sense that I am missing something in my "beloved" Universe.

A solution will come, since my PC just isn't up to date anymore. But PE has been THE motivator to keep my PC in a good shape for almost 8 years. For the first time in my PE career I actually don't care that much whether it will be today, tomorrow, next week or in 3 months before I will be able to login to PE in a decend way again.

That says about all for me :(

X1300

Kemp, I am using a X1300 card on low settings for the last year. It sucks but it is all I have. It still lets me play, you may have other issues with your PC, after the GFX meltdown.

Kemp, I am using a X1300 card on low settings for the last year. It sucks but it is all I have. It still lets me play, you may have other issues with your PC, after the GFX meltdown.

I don't have other issues. That's what I am saying in more words "it sucks"...

A solution will come, since my PC just isn't up to date anymore. But PE has been THE motivator to keep my PC in a good shape for almost 8 years. For the first time in my PE career I actually don't care that much whether it will be today, tomorrow, next week or in 3 months before I will be able to login to PE in a decend way again.

That says about all for me :(
7 years here and my main PC also fried. It's been almost a full year now. Didn't bother running in panic to buy a new one. I play with my laptop and low settings, and i am forced to avoid places with more than 6 other avatars. It was ok for a while. But annoying lag, long login periods (i can prepare a meal or give a bath to my baby son in the meantime) and bad loots are taking its tole. For the first time ever, it's been almost 2 months without playing everyday (except for the long period i was forced to be away in 2009 since i was writing a thesis). In fact, i logged perhaps 4-5 times in those 2 months. I don't even care about this new space update, and still didn't bother to visit other planets yet. Perhaps in summer holidays the motivation will change a bit. Else, this will permanently fall to a weekend activity if i have nothing else to do.

But the next chapter :O !?!?!

-_-

If a million monkeys banged away on a million typewriters for an infinite amount of time, eventually they would write the entire collected works of shakespeare by accident. If, on the other hand, you only had two monkeys, and they were retarded, and half the keys were missing on the typewriters, they could come up with the next chapter for Planet Calypso in about a half hour. Also, they are drunk.

If a million monkeys banged away on a million typewriters for an infinite amount of time, eventually they would write the entire collected works of shakespeare by accident. If, on the other hand, you only had two monkeys, and they were retarded, and half the keys were missing on the typewriters, they could come up with the next chapter for Planet Calypso in about a half hour. Also, they are drunk.
This post makes me laugh, but also makes me kind of sad at the same time.

Sad, why? Because I think it, in a rather clever way, sums up how almost everyone who has been around more than a couple of weeks feels about this universe. So why do we keep logging in? Soc mates? Socializing? Addiction? I mean, okay, socializing isn't so bad, but certainly that can be done in a less self-destructive venue?

And if addiction is the reason, well, that's a whole other story.

:lolup: that's gold, you have discovered the way the EU storyline is written !

Love it
Cheers

Sorry, but I can't help it:
I believe the soap around MA / SEE / SDS / FPC / NI / NDS / (And a bunch of other two- & three-letter abbreviations) is far more exiting and interesting than the Calypso one.
It has however the same consistency and dynamics. :silly2:

Once they had healthy monkeys and fully working typewriters... thx for the laugh =)

Infinite time is all you need - doesn't matter if it is one monkey or million, one handed or two, drunk or not. Then among the all versions with missing punctuations or Hamletina coldly rejecting Pinocchio or King Pear being beset by overly caring sons or everything being written in haiku form or the Richard III being an alternative history version, you will also find a perfect copy.

Really - in infinite time, they will make infinite number of perfect (or not) copies of everything. This is also why nobody really likes the idea of an open, infinite mass, Universe.

Really - in infinite time, they will make infinite number of perfect (or not) copies of everything. This is also why nobody really likes the idea of an open, infinite mass, Universe.

Ahh yes, the theory that if the universe is infinate everything that you could ever imagine and everything you could never imagine has to exist somewhere or sometime...

It's all meaningless if there's no one to notice it. :scratch2:

How can one believe a word from a company when the game changes owner as often as some other change his underwear.:cool:

As you can see --- MA / SEE / SDS / FPC / NI / NDS / Is it MA part II now.

How can one believe a word from a company when the game changes owner as often as some other change his underwear.:cool:

As you can see --- MA / SEE / SDS / FPC / NI / NDS / Is it MA part II now.

If there are people who change underwear once a year, I'm happy to not know about them.

I guess next chapter in a way start on Sept 26.

:lolup:

Just to be accurate: this would happen in a finite amount of time! Just might be a long wait ;)

In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move.

Reactions: Mac
MarcoOOoOOOooooOoooOOOooooOOOoOOOooo...

Ahh yes, the theory that if the universe is infinate everything that you could ever imagine and everything you could never imagine has to exist somewhere or sometime...

It also has to be possible to exist. If something is impossible, then it cannot exist, even in an infinite universe. I can imagine a lot of impossible stuff, that could never exist in an infinite universe.

In an infinite universe, everything that is possible, exists an infinite number of times!

Rgds

Ace

PS please correct me if i am wrong

In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move.

F. Zappa quote? or perhaps D. Adams?

It also has to be possible to exist. If something is impossible, then it cannot exist, even in an infinite universe. I can imagine a lot of impossible stuff, that could never exist in an infinite universe.

In an infinite universe, everything that is possible, exists an infinite number of times!

Yes, but there are also people claiming that nothing is impossible and that the distinction between possible and impossible only depends on our current view of the world, which may be flawed in any number of ways :)

Rgds

Ace

You see infinite in the wrong perspective. We, the humans, see the universe in 4 dimensions, (4th is time). U define infinite like a place with infinite mass, infinite time etc. What is meant with infinite is that it has no end. Like the surface of a balloon, that is also infinite, but has a fixed mass.

Hmm, I debated and debated over joining EU (signed up yeserday!), and having read about a third of this thread, it seems not all is well in the universe!

Actually, I've been taking a peek at forums of this game for several months now, and I must say from my limited experience in the game development world as a 3d modeler and texture artist, what is taking place happens alot in the game development business. Then when things unravel, you have all the copyright issues to sort out. It can get messy.

From a development standpoint, they made a good move I think using the Cryek engine. Newer pc's can handle it, and quite frankly, they will have to handle it, hardware wise, as there is a transition to a new generation of chips; quad core. And there is also the software changes, namely with the operating systems. I'm originally a FPS palyer, and the new Battlefield 3 doesn't support Windows XP (DirectX 11 issue I think mostly, and that means new graphics chips and cards!). Times they are a changin' in the pc world! Time to upgrade your stuff, like it or not. The industry is forcing it. So, from a technical perspective, the Crytek move isn't a bad one. Apparently it can handle the game, graphics aside.

What some people tend to not realize though is how much resources all these various things a player can do, or what the game does, takes up which makes the game slower the more complex and dynamci it is. And graphics eats up ALOT of resources, thus EU has these wide open areas with virtually no structures in sight and little vegetation. Toss in the mix a bunch of avatars doing a variety of things, and your pc tries to render all that on your screen real time, and you get problems with lower end systems. The trick for developers is to find a balance between making the game for the most players possible, when considering what hardware they are using. That means compromise. Many things COULD be done n a game, but that doesn't mean it's practical.

Usually, problems arise over money, and who is entitled to what. The game itself really isn't the issue, it's the people running the companies. The artists and coders are usually innocent victims with the players.

To me, it sounds like MA is ripe for the picking. They got a great concept, and I think a great game engine to run it, though I know of the Crytek engine from a FPS perspective, which there should be more FPS action in a MMORPG, but it seems it can run this type game. As for the monetary aspect, there is some legal/banking isssues I'm sure, but that's fixable, and should be more prompt too. There is no way in this digital age that people should be waiting for 60 days to make a withdrawal of their own money. That's inexcusable, but may well be tied to local banking laws.

Whatever the case, improvements obviously are needed, but if they can't get the company end of things straight, things won't go well, and investers will not take a second look. Huge potential being squandered.

Many times when a company gets into trouble, it's employees step up and buy them out. Maybe a player buyout is in order. Artists and coders of top quality are sitting around doing nothing in the industry and would love to work on this project, so that part isn't a problem. Getting the company in line is the issue it seems.

A well-managed company will draw customers if the product is at least decent. People notice attention to detail, and how a company acts towards it's customers. A good indication of where a company's mindset is is in how they handle customer complaints. And the customer's comments tell the tale, as evidenced by this very thread!

Thanks for the insights in to EU's real world status. New players need to know these things, particularly what all these various acronyms are that veteran players mention. I know MA is MindArk, but it's gets blurry quick after that! :yup:

Many times when a company gets into trouble, it's employees step up and buy them out. Maybe a player buyout is in order. Artists and coders of top quality are sitting around doing nothing in the industry and would love to work on this project, so that part isn't a problem. Getting the company in line is the issue it seems.

that happened a few years ago.

tbh the biggest asset MA have is the good will and confidence of the players but they can only rely on that for so long and many players are begining to turn against them with many going from actively attracting players to discouraging them and hiding that they even play EU.

Many are chosing to stop depositing or to cut way back either because of rl financial commitments or they just don't think EU is value for money anymore and it will be a hard fight to win those players back over if they continue on their current course.

I would imagine those reasons played atleast a part in the ousting of Jan as CEO MindArk-s-president-J-W-Timkrans-have-been-let-go!, the fact that they've managed to arrange a new one in such a short time only means they've been planning it for a while and had the guy waiting in the wings. If the board members weren't worried then they wouldn't bring someone in the hell of it.

I only hope he's slightly more receptive to the players and doesn't have to dragged onto the forums kicking and screaming to respond to players concerns like Jan was. It took a players revolt to even get this Support news from JWT

Last edited:
If you think that all the freshman accounts registered just yesterday and already talking shop smell fishy... raise your hand.

:wise:

If you think that all the freshman accounts registered just yesterday and already talking shop smell fishy... raise your hand.

:wise:

Care to clarify "talking shop"? Why are you inferring malice?

To make a financial investment in something, one is advised to learn a thing or two about the investment, and part of finding about it is what's called reading. Better I have this discussion now, not having spent a dime, than years later like some here and tens of thousands of dollars later.

Thanks for the warm and fuzzy welcome! :)

Rgds

Ace

As a philosophy graduate - I am sincerely scared when people say such things.

If a piece of paper is infinitely large, do you suddenly imagine it to have every possible drawing on it? Surely not, you could in fact imagine it to have no drawings.

If it turned out that space was infinitely large, do we suddenly know that unicorns, spaghetti monsters, flying teapots exist?!?! Of course not. The universe could be infinitely large and bland.

Back