How does a mothership make money?

Oleg

Mutated
Oleg Oleg McMullery
90k seems to me like a ludicrous price to pay for a mothership, because I can't see how such an 'investment' could pay for itself.

It's not going to be very useful as a PKing machine due to it's slow speed.

With a low max SI it's very vulnerable to attack, unless you pay many thousands of PEDs more for the ores to upgrade it.

I'm not clear on how the looting works for motherships. Does it make it safer (completely safe?) to transport goods and/or players, and is this the key to a mothership's value?

The answer to all your above questions is NO.

The actual reason for the 85k-90k ped price tag is: Motherships look COOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! :wtg:

On a more serious note, I'd be interested to know how they could generate money for their owners.

Last edited:
Two words i suspect Warp drive, maybe a tp chip for ships, or avoidance of PvP.

>Conspiracy Mode On<

One things for sure someone must know something to pay that much

>Conspiracy Mode Off<

It sure as hell isn't for high octane space combat, felt like flying in a WW1 Biplane, to slow, boring.... and that was a medium fighter. Games years old beat the crap outta combat in EU for instance freelancer, X win vs Tie Fighter, ya know games from 5-20 years ago....

Used to play Freelancer years ago, now it is in the public domain, and FREE, how does it compare?

Perhaps as a flash, high-capacity planet-to-planet transporter craft. (i.e, Like an airline). The owner might do flights at set times of day. But then, I can't see people paying all that money just to become the ingame version of EasyJet (or even Sky Wings who I had the misfortune to fly with recently).

And they would probably need to pay people with fighter jets to offer protection. Or, like the OP said, plough thousands of dollars into making their ship the biggest and hardest mo-fo-ing vessel in the EU.

So, in summation, who know's?:scratch:

How does a DOA foe make money. These DOAs used to cost what? up to 190k or something if not more.

I guess it could play vital role in a space battle, transport people, win events, team hunt space mobs etc.

MA also said these ships will be fast.

Perhaps as a flash, high-capacity planet-to-planet transporter craft. (i.e, Like an airline). The owner might do flights at set times of day. But then, I can't see people paying all that money just to become the ingame version of EasyJet (or even Sky Wings who I had the misfortune to fly with recently).

And they would probably need to pay people with fighter jets to offer protection. Or, like the OP said, plough thousands of dollars into making their ship the biggest and hardest mo-fo-ing vessel in the EU.

So, in summation, who know's?:scratch:

I can go planet-to-planet in my own VTOL quite easily, and probably quite cheaply after thruster prices settle down. For the motherships to operate in this way they would need to be able to offer some additional benefit to the passenger. What is it?

How does a DOA foe make money. These DOAs used to cost what? up to 190k or something if not more.

A skilled hunter can use a Foeripper to hunt profitably. In the right hands it will eventually pay for itself.

Reactions: das
i reckon a mothership should be able to tank some damage. sure itself might be weak in combat, but don't forget a guest list of 50 is good for plenty crew with fighting vehicles in their inventory to swarm out upon attack.

so, even if the stats of a mothership itself are not for combat, it won't bring the pilot alone at most flights.

making money can be done with transportation of ressources and travelers. currently there is one bp that forces interplanetary trade, more may come.

Last edited:
I can go planet-to-planet in my own VTOL quite easily, and probably quite cheaply after thruster prices settle down. For the motherships to operate in this way they would need to be able to offer some additional benefit to the passenger. What is it?

Good point. Maybe its a safety-in-numbers thing. Especially if it is traders travelling. But then it becomes an even bigger attraction to the PKers, I guess.

If you log out whilst in space you would normally revive at a spce station. But if you are in a mothership, you would revive there. So the mothership could act as a haven for PKers, where they can sit in the middle of space and use their own planes to go out and seek prey, without having to travel again from a space station. A fee could be charged per day for remaining on the Guest List.

I'm just waiting to see Skippie in twin "49 seats left" only going when i'm full 25 peds / seat 1st in MS pilot line.........................................:)

I think motherships are meant to be feared dreadnaughts loaded with fighters, not simple transports. Park one on the edge of a safe zone loaded with fighters and the average joe is going to find it difficult to pass safely.... didn't someone say the ships can be boarded? Maybe there will be events like fort battles on ms's... Perhaps a harbinger ship vs MS battle?(imagine the shared loot ATH on destorying that ship) What about the pirate base? Send an invasion fleet? Warp to the location and out fly 40 fighters...

Once the armour and armaments are beefed up on the motherships, I'm sure they'll be a relatively safe way to transport people or goods from planet to planet. You can have 6 people manning guns at the moment, and I'm sure the SI can be improved to quite a high amount.

But other than that, I dunno.. maybe as a tourist attraction?

Maybe they're not designed to make money. Maybe they're just toys.

On a side note: if you see a mothership traveling in space that might be a hint that there is some valuable inside. If you want to transport goods safely you might want to look unassuming.

Good question.

Not too sure of answer myself but we do know some facts. Motherships:
- Hold the most people (upto 50 i think)
- Have repair, revive, trade terminals
- Can be customised and have lots of firepower

Provided the owner is willing to invest the money to upgrade, the ship could be the king or rather queen of space. Thats probably the idea but the low SI looks worrying a few shots and it's dead in the water. Perhaps that's so as not to give the MS too much of an advantage? dunno. Would be intresting to know what the SI can be upgraded to. A MS with SI maxed could be quite powerful and quite costly.

MA also mentioned further upgrades for MS would be available. So my guess is it may be designed to be the safest mode of transport.

In the space post by MA, they did say for mothership owners to keep finger on pulse of planet trading and resources....so that prob figures into profiting somehow.

they just look like giant flying honey pots to me

I don't think they do, unless the owners get creative. Look at who bought the first ones:

The Fortune was claimed by Deathifier Emgen for 85,000 PED.
The Victory was claimed by Miss Hof Bad for 90,001 PED.
The Revenge was claimed by Neverdie for 90,001 PED.

I don't know Miss Hof Bad, but Neverdie and Deathifier must have some PEDs to burn. Well, maybe Neverdie not as much with RT and NI kind of sucking...but I guess he can probably still afford a mothership.

As some have mentioned, though, as far as generating income, it would be similar to an airline I suppose. And those don't have huge profit margins.

Dont know guys, but we will attack the first one flying.
They have only 6 guners (stock) and 500 hp, they will be easy pray for our pack..
We also bided and were overbidded by this morons, so we will look for our "Revenge", you can bet on this.

1. Spend $9,000 on a virtual spaceship
2. ....
3. PROFIT

I don't think anyone has figured out 2 yet.

The speed and SI as bought are almost the same as a VTOL, and a much bigger target, so they're probably even more dangerous to fly on :p. Right now I think people are paying for their potential. (Buyers are banking on ore upgrades and attachments to give them godly SI and speeds most likely.) I think the terminals inside could be big later on if we get asteroids in deep space where you can hunt/mine on, owners could charge fees/taxes for people to use their terminals or they could gather resources themselves.

Even if you own a mothership, I think you still need to use a small aircraft w/ a thruster to get to outerspace. So they are not even cheaper in this regard.

1. Spend $9,000 on a virtual spaceship
2. ....
3. PROFIT

I don't think anyone has figured out 2 yet.

2. spend a shitload of cash upgrading the mothership to make it space worthy and hire gunners and a fleet to protect your ass.. then charge insane ticket prices.

A few possibilities...
Carrying cargo/passengers
PVP'ing other Motherships carrying cargo/passengers
Hunting giant Brain Squid with Torpedoes
PVP'ing giant Brain Squid hunters
Providing a mobile base for pirates/angels
And last but not least, satisfying big egos

But...
Equipping a Mothership for these things requires lots of mined and crafted resources - the stock Mothership is a defenseless, imobile hull - so it should add more demand to the economy.

:beerchug:

Miles

It's like asking to Hans Solo: How you make money with the Millennium Falcon?
Probably the answer would be to smuggle valuable things from different planets.

Or ask Captain Jack Sparrow: How do you make money with the Black Pearl?
Probably the answer would be stealing their things from people like Hans Solo.

Or ask the Captain James T Kirk: Why do you need an Enterprise Stellar Ship?
Probably the answer would be to defend the Federation of Planets from the Attacks of Drones (controlled by Romulians, Klingons, Ferenji or what ever would be).

Seriously, do not you yet know how these ships could make money? I think you have very little imagination. I see Trade, Stolen and Loots.

But if you are not convinced by the above: You may ask to Captain Jean-Luc Picard: Why do you need an Enterprise Stellar Ship?
His answer will be: To Explore new worlds, to pass the limits from the unknow...(Space tourism business, and complete fun). :yay::yay:

Last edited:
who knows, these ships seem so stupidly over prices, just rich people wanting to have the toys first.

They could of made them for 1000ped if they just kept patient, would have saved a lot of money and more people could have them !

doesn´t make money at all but it´s good for the ego to have the biggest space giant. Also later on it might be a good investment if the upgrades promised by MA allow for safe travels. Who knows maybe some ppl have insider knowlege on what they will be like or maybe they don´t... you never know.

This is really good people are paying $9000 on something no one knows how it is used in game. Now this is how I see it seeing MA did not say how it's to be used,
you come up with a idea that seems to work MA says exploit we didn't say it could be used like that ban hammer.
EU:you have now been kicked from EU
Me : but you didn't say it couldn't be used like that
EU : we did say it could either
Me: ??????
EU : you are banned till we decide what mother ships can be used for, we will get back to you
Me : when?
EU : we will get back to you
:laugh::eyecrazy::laugh::eyecrazy::eyecrazy::laugh::eyecrazy::laugh:

Just being a smart ass but how do you bid on something you have no Idea how to use?

Back