Pet Math - Level vs. Experience

tamlin

Prowler
tamlin
I am confident I have finally nailed the formula used to convert between pet level and pet experience for the Bristlehog (Puny).

It was a quite tedious and time consuming excercise, with many hundreds of samples and more hours than I care to think of attempting curve fitting.

Internally, levels are (obviously) zero-based, while in the UI displayed as 1-based. Let's therefore, for the duration of this text, define
int_lvl = UI_lvl.XP - 1.

F.ex. a pet at level 2 with 15% XP would have int_lvl = 1.15.

Experience = int_lvl^2 * 24 + int_lvl * 30

Applying the quadratic formula all present should know (you are above the age of 13, right?)

ax^2 + bx + c=0

and how to solve x for any given a, b, and c, we find (after simplification) that

int_lvl = (sqrt(Experience * 96 + 900) - 30) / 48

A graph of the first ~9 levels looks like
20141020_pet_level_vs_experience.jpg

Update 2014-11-01: Daikiba Ancient Strong seems to use the formula

Experience = int_lvl^2 * 160 + int_lvl * 200

Update 2015-04-24: That combined with later information leads to the conclusion it's really:

Experience = int_lvl^2 * int_val + int_lvl * (int_val * 1.25)

Where int_val is an internal value (just by coincident also an integer :) ), possibly derived from the later introduced "Metabolic Rate".

For the ones mathematically inclined, you see this is probably not how it's calculated internally, but it's nice and simple enough for most to understand, which is more important.

Last edited:
Nice, thx for the work!

I agree with whining Skeptic, could you share the data? I just assumed you did the math and everything right but since few scars pet doesn't fit the graph i would love to take a look at it too.
Or maybe it depends on the pet? so for a bristle yours might be right but not for an ancient pet?

Regards
Thark

Edit2: My Daikiba strong has 365.3 exp and is lvl 2 (1%) - doesn't fit the graph either. So it must have something to do with the kind of pet you used?!

Last edited:
1. Why do you assume it's quadratic? It could just as well be an exponential function.

2. Do you have any actual data to share? If so, I could also take a look at the math.

Good initiative!

I have a level 3 Pet with 1000 X. .. doesn't fit the graph.

EXPERIENCE and levels might be different on different pets.
Ancients vs New, Strong vs Regular , Snable vs Daiki

I agree with whining Skeptic, could you share the data?

Sure. It is verified and re-verified with 100% certainty with ~400 data points empirical data from level 1 to 9 to be a match, but ofc you can get a copy of it. It's a bit much to dump in a forum post, though, so shoot me a PM if you still want it.

I just assumed you did the math and everything right but since few scars pet doesn't fit the graph i would love to take a look at it too.
[...]
Edit2: My Daikiba strong has 365.3 exp and is lvl 2 (1%) - doesn't fit the graph either. So it must have something to do with the kind of pet you used?!
That definitely displays it's not the same for that pet (or class of pets). Bristle becomes level 2 at 54 Experience.

yeah so it seems the discrepancy is because i was looking at another pet. I'll shoot you a pm anyways cuz i'm curious! :)

Thx again.
Regards
Thark

Thanks for the data(and the effort).

I'll start looking at it tonight. However, I would need at least two data points, preferably with some distance apart, for any of the mobs that don't fit the original chart.

Any of you guys care to share? Two is enough for now.

OK. So is the formula applicable or not even for Daikiba?

No, how could it? Daiki went to lvl 2 with 365xp. there needs to be at least some change in the formula.

I'll record the end points for each level and share em once i get there but recording every single step in the development of the pet seems like too much work for too little more information gained :/

Regards
Thark

No, how could it? Daiki went to lvl 2 with 365xp. there needs to be at least some change in the formula.

I'll record the end points for each level and share em once i get there but recording every single step in the development of the pet seems like too much work for too little more information gained :/

Regards
Thark

More than two points would make working out a formula much easier. You need at least three and preferably more like ten or so, but I can confirm that Tamlin's data for the Bristlehog is indeed correct, my own hogs up to lvl 7 have followed the same formula exactly.

Where can you see total pet experience level as opposed to level progress XP?

Now I'm confused. In post #9 you wrote
Thark said:
yeah so it seems the discrepancy is because i was looking at another pet.
Anyway, if someone provides enough data points, with Level.XP and Experience recorded for each sample, I'm sure I can find out the relationship.

OK I see, interesting thanks, this total experience level is a useful metric, probably more so in the future.

Has anyone gotten the pets to level 10 and can confirm that 10 is the highest level possible or 11+ are open as well?

OK I see, interesting thanks, this total experience level is a useful metric, probably more so in the future.

Has anyone gotten the pets to level 10 and can confirm that 10 is the highest level possible or 11+ are open as well?

I think tamlin's lvl 9 is the highest anyone has got so far, but I'm working on getting there. I'm a bit behind him so he might beat me to answering the question though.

@marrie: uhm, i don't have more data yet, so I can't work out a formula for daiki strong yet. I'll get on it later tonight though.

@tamlin: maybe i was misunderstanding you. What I mean/meant is: Your formula does not work for daikiba strong, that's all :)

Btw: could anyone scan a bristlehog and post the picture? i can't summon mine (on ark right now) and i was curious if the formula could have anything to do with its stats? i kinda doubt MA would manually make new formulas for every new creature? but maybe they will :)

Regards
Thark

Btw: could anyone scan a bristlehog and post the picture?
Waste of time, bandwidth, storage space, and would prevent copying the information.

Health level: Puny
Damage potential: Minimal
Agility: 14
Intelligence: 4
Psyche: 5
Stamina: 2
Strength: 10

Just got my little bristlehog to lvl 10 and still going. They need more tricks for these higher lvl pets.

Interesting so Level 10 is not the top level, good to know:)

Just got my little bristlehog to lvl 10 and still going. They need more tricks for these higher lvl pets.

Awesome, thanks for the information.

I wouldn't be suprised if there was no max level :)

Regards

I would laugh seeing a Bristlehog Puny level 40 beat an Atrax Stalker level 39 in combat if that is what ends up happening with stables and arenas. :)

I really am looking forward to the ability to tame every mob on planet, this will be something. Hopefully the mob ladder is skill based as well, and will require some uber whips:)

And very curious to see what stables actually do, and how the battles are set up.

Additional pet equipment and functionality if level based should be quite interesting as well, it seems in current system it would take either a tremendous amount of time to passively raise a level or quite a bit of PED (as it is possible to click through and do it faster but nutrio consumption is carzy in this case, and in the absence of AC functionality pretty brutal on clicking fingers as well).

Interesting what is experience level for your pet at this stage, is it 10,000?

I wonder if the experience level may be capped, not the actual pet level...

Interesting what is experience level for your pet at this stage, is it 10,000?

I wonder if the experience level may be capped, not the actual pet level...

xp for lvl 10 is 2214 per tamlin's formula, for the hog at least and one can't be capped without the other being capped as one is just another way of representing the other.

For daiki experience level will be much higher, mine is just about level 7 and is at about 6K+ experience.

And there is no reason one cannot be capped but not the opther, i.e if the highest level of experience is 10,000 then daiki will be capped likely at level 10 while hog can be taken to level 20 for example.

Guess will advise once I get the daiki to level 10.

For daiki experience level will be much higher, mine is just about level 7 and is at about 6K+ experience.

And there is no reason one cannot be capped but not the opther, i.e if the highest level of experience is 10,000 then daiki will be capped likely at level 10 while hog can be taken to level 20 for example.

Guess will advise once I get the daiki to level 10.

ah okay, didn't realise that's what you meant by one being capped and not the other. I guess that there probably isn't a cap this time around, just like our avatars aren't capped, but above a certain point gaining new levels will just get expensive.

Back