Question: How far in until you give up a hunt?

2k, 20k, 200k, 2hours, 20hours, there's no exact general rule, we each have unique thresholds, find yours and play within your own boundaries, not on other people's thresholds and limits. Applying the basics (MU, looter, eff, etc.) will help you on your way to sustainability, if that's what you wish ofc.

Thanks for the input guys so I just assume the algorithm for 95ish% returns long term will just follow me anywhere, so shoot without fear.

What would be a good indicator that you should probably not continue on and just try something else?
I have covered this extensively in Noob Corner / How To Survive, now moved over to my discord.
But to summarise it, you have two indicators you can use to give you assurance to stop or continue.
1st is ped loss vs mob hunted (usually around kill cost x 1333), and the 2nd is the number of kills vs cycles.
Both indicators can be used simultaneously where the ped loss is within the acceptable range based on the cycle.
Besides these metrics, the other crucial variables play a massive role against other players within the PVE domain. (Big Hint)
My thinking is can I avoid unnecessary losses or will it follow me around?
Afaik, your losses stop at the mob you are hunting; if you jump to a new mob, it is unrelated, and a new cycle starts, whether good or bad.
You don’t give up a hunt, you make the mob give up the loot!
100%! I don't perceive losses as losses; I see them as investments because whatever I put in has to come back out. I can share a straightforward analogy if I know the max ped loss vs mob to be -3000, even if I'm straight away on a decline, I want to reach that -3000, even at the cost of getting, say, a 50% return rate because I know that once the mob/machine is full it is ready to pay out and cause a reversal, and thanks to my investment/contribution to the pool. Remember, you can get a higher TT through the losses of other hunters on that same mob; this is how loot pools are funded for the big loot drops.
I just assume the algorithm for 95%ish returns long term will follow me anywhere.
Why would you assume, though? I would recommend that you start believing within yourself that getting 97-99% TT returns is possible; your mind makes it real. I am always between that range no matter what looter level, efficiency rating, or DPP I use for my hunting setup because mind over matter is critical—not contradicting myself above but in conjunction with what I've already shared above. Anything is possible in Entropia. Know the rules to break the rules.
So shoot without fear.
Trust the almighty algorithm.
I can go out hunting or mining without trepidation because I never lose out. Fear is removed once you know the rules of the game's parameters of give and take. The coding is simple, and I can trust the system to behave and function as it always has.
Hunt within your level as the others have mentioned. That will help with the dry spills for sure. That way you have that buffer. I personally don't swap mobs. Returns seem to be the same regardless. The trick is finding that perfect median. Which you will.
The level PengWinz says is not hunting mobs based on your professional standing and using the highest gun maxed; it's hunting mobs within your bankroll, which many people sadly do not understand. Bankroll will determine the gun setup & DPS> mob. Example: 2000 ped bankroll > 15 DPS> 150 hp mobs over X kills. This information can most certainly be used to your advantage.

Although somewhat cryptic, I hope this response helps you better understand the game's mechanics.

I have covered this extensively in Noob Corner / How To Survive, now moved over to my discord.
But to summarise it, you have two indicators you can use to give you assurance to stop or continue.
1st is ped loss vs mob hunted (usually around kill cost x 1333), and the 2nd is the number of kills vs cycles.
Both indicators can be used simultaneously where the ped loss is within the acceptable range based on the cycle.
Besides these metrics, the other crucial variables play a massive role against other players within the PVE domain. (Big Hint)

Afaik, your losses stop at the mob you are hunting; if you jump to a new mob, it is unrelated, and a new cycle starts, whether good or bad.

100%! I don't perceive losses as losses; I see them as investments because whatever I put in has to come back out. I can share a straightforward analogy if I know the max ped loss vs mob to be -3000, even if I'm straight away on a decline, I want to reach that -3000, even at the cost of getting, say, a 50% return rate because I know that once the mob/machine is full it is ready to pay out and cause a reversal, and thanks to my investment/contribution to the pool. Remember, you can get a higher TT through the losses of other hunters on that same mob; this is how loot pools are funded for the big loot drops.

Why would you assume, though? I would recommend that you start believing within yourself that getting 97-99% TT returns is possible; your mind makes it real. I am always between that range no matter what looter level, efficiency rating, or DPP I use for my hunting setup because mind over matter is critical—not contradicting myself above but in conjunction with what I've already shared above. Anything is possible in Entropia. Know the rules to break the rules.

I can go out hunting or mining without trepidation because I never lose out. Fear is removed once you know the rules of the game's parameters of give and take. The coding is simple, and I can trust the system to behave and function as it always has.

The level PengWinz says is not hunting mobs based on your professional standing and using the highest gun maxed; it's hunting mobs within your bankroll, which many people sadly do not understand. Bankroll will determine the gun setup & DPS> mob. Example: 2000 ped bankroll > 15 DPS> 150 hp mobs over X kills. This information can most certainly be used to your advantage.

Although somewhat cryptic, I hope this response helps you better understand the game's mechanics.
Would be cool if we had more specific examples to help us better understand the mechanics, but I do appreciate the input as always.

Thank you for the differentiation and specification.

Thanks for the input guys so I just assume the algorithm for 95ish% returns long term will just follow me anywhere, so shoot without fear.
the algorithm does not guarantee a pay out 95% to all players - it does happen but there are more factors at play - MA cannot live on 5% of deposits to run their company so most people have to lose as they need to force people to HAVE to deposit which is - imo - partly why there is no MU at most level and most people never loot a high value item - if players did they would depo less - MA no like dat.

and long term includes up to- never - just saying :)

if you are very lucky have good gear; lots of time to grind, don't do dumb things, and a lot of Ped - then maybe you might get 95% on a run or two here and there - end result is if you do not get a good hit to get you to over 90% TT then MU will not cover - unless you loot an item with good MU to make up for cumulative losses - which is basically non-existent at low levels- excluding events as you could loot a rare token. but that itself has no value.

if you are lower level - then not much MU to be found - if there is MU every other noob and even higher level players will just come there, use bots and crash the MU.

Its happening right now on vixens- MU is not crushed yet but already dropping,

now that i typed all the above - i may be assuming wrong that you are new(er) player.

gl

the algorithm does not guarantee a pay out 95% to all players - it does happen but there are more factors at play - MA cannot live on 5% of deposits to run their company so most people have to lose as they need to force people to HAVE to deposit which is - imo - partly why there is no MU at most level and most people never loot a high value item - if players did they would depo less - MA no like dat.
This sentence is respectfully incorrect.
MA does its profit from PED SENIORAGE as not me but the balance account says for most part of its revenues so the fact that "we must loose 20%" is a false statement.
i dont want to enter in the reasoning on how to "profit from teh rules" because no niche of profit must be explained, this is economic PVP sorry

1. "average joe" deposit 1.000 usd or 10.000 ped, a slice of 3% is cut off as a "deposit commission", joe receive 9700 PED on his account. IT IS NO DIFFERENCE IF JOE CHOOSE KEYS OR NORMAL BOXEX, he sill loose 3% in cycle, so it is anyway 9700 at the end of the day. MA wise the seasonal boxes have 0.00001 ped value, MA just cares TT , MU is player vs player
2. on the 9700 ped MA accounts a LIABILITY of 30% and consider (9700 * 70%) = 6.580 ped as profit because they KNOW from statistical evidence that the remaining 70% is wasted in cycling, or is remaining in game as skill value (yes they got skill value, what you "loose" is the cost for your skillset, the goal of the game is in fact to skill for free to get better stats) or TT Value of repaired iteems (look at how many ped is your items TT in armor and weapons).
3. thre are "minor voluntary taxes" during the game cycle that the player ACTUALLY CHOOSE TO PAY for his convenience such as 200 ped for a viceroy base set that are given to BILL (Arkadia plaent partner, 1000 ped for a "Smuggler full setup" again paid to arkadia planet partner, Next island 670 ped (i could be wrong) to open moloch depth, 250 ped to open forest istance, and more, these are not mandatory, and opening instanfces is a personal choice. And mission galactica that gives in barter a lower TT value item than contrivution (the rest of value is MU so its player vs player)
4. as "average joe" withdraws he pay 1% tax with a mijimum of 10 dollar (100 ped)

These are COST to game, then there is the said 2% average cost, that returns in codex and green lines 1.5% in skill TT accounting. Some planet return PED or ITEMS for daily missions, caly return tokens, but including TTloss for collecting them i strongly disagree that those are "free weapons", their return is negligible in TT Term, and basically with TTloss to manufacture tokens, they are just worth if a player is interested in killing daily quest target.

MA wants EVERYBODY TO RETURN 98% so his moeny can be Reshuffled 50 times and procude market activity.

Some player have self-destructive behavious and use condition crafting, swint, or grindhouse or snowball gun to hunt to increase multiplier in case of positive, and forget that that could require 50.000 loot event and they got capital for 50 or 100 and call fot the scam.

Agter 2 years of gaming i "Trust the algorithm" and everything is going as it is intended. if anyone feels things different from above, it is his perception and statistical deception.
if MA was a "fraud" as many say, would not survive 20 years..... remove the tin foil hat and read balance account, actual disclosures (a company can not lie to investors, and there is a stock exchange listing ongoing, this would be a criminal offense.

if a player loose it is 90% his fault because increase the "leverage" of ped card.

and long term includes up to- never - just saying :)

if you are very lucky have good gear; lots of time to grind, don't do dumb things, and a lot of Ped - then maybe you might get 95% on a run or two here and there - end result is if you do not get a good hit to get you to over 90% TT then MU will not cover - unless you loot an item with good MU to make up for cumulative losses - which is basically non-existent at low levels- excluding events as you could loot a rare token. but that itself has no value.

if you are lower level - then not much MU to be found - if there is MU every other noob and even higher level players will just come there, use bots and crash the MU.

now that i typed all the above - i may be assuming wrong that you are new(er) player.

gl
Alot valid points their especially regarding lower level hunting (bring back the berycled days when you could get esi!) I think you missed the whole item cap thing though and fact the players who are playing at pro level or any level that know this will know where to find the mu on average. Reason i say average is because its not guaranteed but statistically would put you ahead.

You only have to go mining to see it. Mine at a low level then high (amped) and tell me % rare drops / ore with mu on average. Hunting is way more then about having good gear and ped card to go with it. Its about knowing how the system works for instance some Armor, angel comes to mind and someone upgraded it and showing in hof board. Great i will go hunt x mob for scales or whatever because theirs a chance on average they could drop. Or situation for instance has happened esi rain "has something been uncapped???" lets go hunt high level bot i know on average they would drop esis compared to smaller bots.

Reselling another great way for them to make money not just on gear but for some excess skills naming no one or pointing.

I could go on but even if you got good gear your having to constantly fight to stay ahead either through mu or the next latest and greatest gear, looking at markets, entropia life, hof board, general knowledge whats where etc. Not my cup of tea if you ask me, il stick to my short sharp bursts.

Just my perception i could be off the mark but oh well.

Last edited:

Lol, you should of been there when Vixen gears dropped from 1600% to 1200% followed by the drop to 370% (can thank the single dense spawn that was removed and grenade launches for that). That was the real crash :) It has remianed between 370 and 410% for years now.

This sentence is respectfully incorrect.
MA does its profit from PED SENIORAGE as not me but the balance account says for most part of its revenues so the fact that "we must loose 20%" is a false statement.
i dont want to enter in the reasoning on how to "profit from teh rules" because no niche of profit must be explained, this is economic PVP sorry

1. "average joe" deposit 1.000 usd or 10.000 ped, a slice of 3% is cut off as a "deposit commission", joe receive 9700 PED on his account. IT IS NO DIFFERENCE IF JOE CHOOSE KEYS OR NORMAL BOXEX, he sill loose 3% in cycle, so it is anyway 9700 at the end of the day. MA wise the seasonal boxes have 0.00001 ped value, MA just cares TT , MU is player vs player
2. on the 9700 ped MA accounts a LIABILITY of 30% and consider (9700 * 70%) = 6.580 ped as profit because they KNOW from statistical evidence that the remaining 70% is wasted in cycling, or is remaining in game as skill value (yes they got skill value, what you "loose" is the cost for your skillset, the goal of the game is in fact to skill for free to get better stats) or TT Value of repaired iteems (look at how many ped is your items TT in armor and weapons).
3. thre are "minor voluntary taxes" during the game cycle that the player ACTUALLY CHOOSE TO PAY for his convenience such as 200 ped for a viceroy base set that are given to BILL (Arkadia plaent partner, 1000 ped for a "Smuggler full setup" again paid to arkadia planet partner, Next island 670 ped (i could be wrong) to open moloch depth, 250 ped to open forest istance, and more, these are not mandatory, and opening instanfces is a personal choice. And mission galactica that gives in barter a lower TT value item than contrivution (the rest of value is MU so its player vs player)
4. as "average joe" withdraws he pay 1% tax with a mijimum of 10 dollar (100 ped)

These are COST to game, then there is the said 2% average cost, that returns in codex and green lines 1.5% in skill TT accounting. Some planet return PED or ITEMS for daily missions, caly return tokens, but including TTloss for collecting them i strongly disagree that those are "free weapons", their return is negligible in TT Term, and basically with TTloss to manufacture tokens, they are just worth if a player is interested in killing daily quest target.

MA wants EVERYBODY TO RETURN 98% so his moeny can be Reshuffled 50 times and procude market activity.

Some player have self-destructive behavious and use condition crafting, swint, or grindhouse or snowball gun to hunt to increase multiplier in case of positive, and forget that that could require 50.000 loot event and they got capital for 50 or 100 and call fot the scam.

Agter 2 years of gaming i "Trust the algorithm" and everything is going as it is intended. if anyone feels things different from above, it is his perception and statistical deception.
if MA was a "fraud" as many say, would not survive 20 years..... remove the tin foil hat and read balance account, actual disclosures (a company can not lie to investors, and there is a stock exchange listing ongoing, this would be a criminal offense.

if a player loose it is 90% his fault because increase the "leverage" of ped card.
i never said 20% so not understanding what you are saying.

i understand MU - it is irrelevant for most players as most do not get enough - see the part i wrote about gear, time, ped (and luck) - with all pf these you might get some MU but most times it will not cover TT lose. Just cause you and a few others do does not mean it is going to happen to everyone

i understand cycling ped and MA "getting" the difference each time - you and others think on average you get 90% each time you cycle, maybe one cycle is 70% than 80, then 150% then 50% - and eventually at some point in time you get a magical "make up" hit/item to get you to 90%+ -

I am saying that does not happen to everyone or i would have drop a 4+ digit hof by now - but since i did not people make up things like "oh you have to hunt longer" - how long "oh months maybe years" meaning they have no idea except what has happened to them and of course because they got a certain result it must happen to every one.

i think you wrote a lot of good things above but you are assuming it applies to everyone.

- gear, time and ped - the less of these three you have the less likely you are to have good results i.e. 90%+

i understand MU - it is irrelevant for most players as most do not get enough - see the part i wrote about gear, time, ped (and luck) - with all pf these you might get some MU but most times it will not cover TT lose.

This is very contradictory. You say you understand MU, yet you claim that MU is irrelevant for most people. It is quite the opposite, imo. Higher TT return = MU being less relevant. If MU does not cover TT loss you are competing with people who can gather the same resources cheaper (or people who are okay with losing)

how long "oh months maybe years" meaning they have no idea except what has happened to them and of course because they got a certain result it must happen to every one.

As with anything that occurs by chance, you don't have to understand the how or why. Your TT return is likely going to converge to the point it is supposed to be based on your parameters, given enough chances to do so.

gear, time and ped - the less of these three you have the less likely you are to have good results i.e. 90%+

Is that not exactly what you want from a game. The people with the best loadout should have a better chance at good results, imo. People who invest more tome should also have a better chance. How much ped you have on your pedcard does not, and should not matter.

let's state "based on my personal experience" so there is not a generalized statement

a loot cycle is about 5000 events with first 500 being most noisy.
if you have a ped card that can hold 5000 kills on a monster, you will average out on that one.
so if we are killing say Argonauts (90 pec each) need to stay on a 4500 ped card capacity
talking about vixen that is 30 pec each (average) card should be 1500 ped in ammo
to kill master moloch (33 ped each) need 150k ped ammo
that is quite parametric and again a well known parameter as per game risk asessing.

Last edited:
I'm glad the debate is still friendly guys and it gives me inspiration. Especially about what hunting within costs mean. That argo statement gave me a very solid idea and I understand better now. Maybe 1k on ambulimax and atrox is too little? I should grow the ped card a bit more.

And Fatboy said that there is a 3% loss on boxes? Do you mean that after buying boxes you are going to have a slight loss due to not paying a tax on them?

let's state "based on my personal experience" so there is not a generalized statement

a loot cycle is about 5000 events with first 500 being most noisy.
if you ahve a ped card that can hold 5000 kills on a mosnter, you willa verage out on that one.
so if we are killing say Argonauts (90 ec each) need to stay on a 4500 ped card capacity
talking about vixen that is 30 pec each (average) card should be 1500 ped in ammo
to kill master moloch (33 ped each) need 150k ped ammo
that is quite parametric and again a well known parameter as per game risk asessing.
That is proper solid advice there.

This is very contradictory. You say you understand MU, yet you claim that MU is irrelevant for most people. It is quite the opposite, imo. Higher TT return = MU being less relevant. If MU does not cover TT loss you are competing with people who can gather the same resources cheaper (or people who are okay with losing)

As with anything that occurs by chance, you don't have to understand the how or why. Your TT return is likely going to converge to the point it is supposed to be based on your parameters, given enough chances to do so.

Is that not exactly what you want from a game. The people with the best loadout should have a better chance at good results, imo. People who invest more tome should also have a better chance. How much ped you have on your pedcard does not, and should not matter.
I said MU is irrelevant because no mobs drops enough MU items to cover any good amount of TT loss - at least at the levels i pal at an si suspect most levels. OFC MU is good it just will lot get me and i am sure others to that magical 90%

you say loot is going to converge - you saying a lot of nothing here because it may converge 5 days after EM shuts down or never - its just an open ended statement to allow you to be right without ever have proof that you may be wrong. anyone can dump $1 million into a slot machine and maybe hit the 50 Million $ jackpot - or maybe they just lose $1M - or maybe the hit it the first pull.

as for gear time and ped being what i want - yes and no - of course i want effort to pay off but how much payoff is reasonable when you have most players losing a way way more than 10%. at some point its just too much to too small a number of people. i also want to have a fair chance but its not possible if there are now MU items at low level and there is none.

all i said to the OP was that getting 95% without worry is wrong and what most are saying here is more complicated than just shoot and you will get 95% and to ignore all the no proof required statements like "long term" and the newer one that is floating around called "parameters" - sure it will hold true for some but it is more likely just luck and not that they "decoded the algorithm"

Might want to read up on the loot 2.0 dev posts if you dont understand what "parameters" mean. Its an important change to how hunting works now.

I'm glad the debate is still friendly guys and it gives me inspiration. Especially about what hunting within costs mean. That argo statement gave me a very solid idea and I understand better now. Maybe 1k on ambulimax and atrox is too little? I should grow the ped card a bit more.

And Fatboy said that there is a 3% loss on boxes? Do you mean that after buying boxes you are going to have a slight loss due to not paying a tax on them?
i dont think i said there is a 3% loss on boxes - i only open a hand full and as far as i know you get 10 ped for each - US pills and some other stuff but always 10 ped as far as i know. maybe a typo or broken thought?

if you deposit cash there is a fee but that is a credit company fee so MA does not take anything as some one else mentioned above.

as for ambulimax - your gonna need waaaay more than 1K ped

the 5000 kills on argo is imo more realistic of a time frame (not the 250K kill time frame) but i know i have killed way more than 5K argo and never got over 200 ped i am sure they have a few K of my ped with Kerbs have twice as much as they cost over 2 ped a kill (dom to alpha). one thing i will say is kill costs is 1.2-1.3ped per - it used to be about 90 pec but real cost with target evades is in the 1-1.3-ish ped range.

i would say argos dont drop MU at least not to me - i would choose a smaller mob Berys maybe ? M Rufen did a really good thread on them but he can comment further if he thinks that is a good idea at this time.

what level are you?

i dont think i said there is a 3% loss on boxes - i only open a hand full and as far as i know you get 10 ped for each - US pills and some other stuff but always 10 ped as far as i know. maybe a typo or broken thought?

if you deposit cash there is a fee but that is a credit company fee so MA does not take anything as some one else mentioned above.

the 5000 kills on argo is imo more realistic of a time frame (not the 250K kill time frame) but i know i have killed way more than 5K argo and never got over 200 ped i am sure they have a few K of my ped with Kerbs have twice as much as they cost over 2 ped a kill (dom to alpha). one thing i will say is kill costs is 1.2-1.3ped per - it used to be about 90 pec but real cost with target evades is in the 1-1.3-ish ped range.

i would say argos dont drop MU at least not to me - i would choose a smaller mob Berys maybe ? M Rufen did a really good thread on them but he can comment further if he thinks that is a good idea at this time.

what level are you?
3% loss on box is due to their potential value if sold or needed to be purchased
(No one opens regular strongboxes only seasonal ones, so that 3% wouldn’t apply to regular boxes)

it's a tough one when dealing so many dynamics... my rule of thumb is to find the mobs that likes you, not the mobs that suits your gear...it's subjective of course but when looking at long term grinding...especially if it's for a hobby to kill time, getting best bang for buck is a learning curve that can change it's curve.

Location location location...getting an early sense for what's good is not easy.
The mobs/hunt of choice/looting is like a faulty kaleidoscope.
Many time i try a hunt it's like...omg...50 pec loots from a 3 ped mob...fk this i'm going somewhere else.
What would be the best early sign to carry on is an easier question...am I getting back what I spent to kill it ?

At times when I just run out of ideas and things are looking bad... I will travel around the tp's and try a few kills...4-5-10 maybe...and change and change and change.

One mob can be good for years, another can be good for a day.

Last edited by a moderator:

what level are you?
I'm currently in the early 40s

Another important statement: Let AH drive your hunting.

look on ah on price of materials, and decide what to hunt (according with your combat level and defense level)
there is a chance every day, just look at what is in demand.
id nothing else, well.. go to monria, kill shoggot for leather, kill talus for basic leather extractors, enjoy crafting generic leather texture for daily engineering

Another important statement: Let AH drive your hunting.

look on ah on price of materials, and decide what to hunt (according with your combat level and defense level)
there is a chance every day, just look at what is in demand.
id nothing else, well.. go to monria, kill shoggot for leather, kill talus for basic leather extractors, enjoy crafting generic leather texture for daily engineering
2k, 20k, 200k, 2hours, 20hours, there's no exact general rule, we each have unique thresholds, find yours and play within your own boundaries, not on other people's thresholds and limits. Applying the basics (MU, looter, eff, etc.) will help you on your way to sustainability, if that's what you wish ofc.

I still struggle to find some decent MU mob to hunt, oil market is totaly broken only some oil sell (heart/spleen) but those are hardly obtainable, tried some bot but when you gather 1k ped of robot part it become a pain to sell and everyone undercut big stacks... and most items on low/mid mob are tt trash or 105% which won t sell and make you loose market fee...

To be fair i was happy when i saw the loot change, bought a new setup, switched to MF as they are more affordable ( the MM amp give a 3.21dpp to my setup) bought an easter ring to max crit and add even more dpp (3.44) and i usually use candy cane (so 3.49dpp) for around 53 dps, with 60% eff but i still struggle to make a decent return on average.

I cycled around 100k (from early dec to now) lost around 5-7k ped (my tracker bugged 2 time i had to reset it) i got a 2.5k uber for the new year, but the MU i got is no ways near 5-7k ped... and i tried to hunt smart... (tried T4-5 compo but they are hard to loot and mob loot nothing else, tried robot, bery/bibo for muscle/ wood, and currently testing evi, i will try to save/depo more peds to hunt spidy (but this mean the use of enhancer which reduce my eff and my dpp to 3.375 and i will need at least 10-15k ped in amo to cycle properly)

i would like to test a 80-85% eff gun to see if it really change but i don t have the ped to buy a lvl 30 gun at 100k... and sadly as i did a giant break most of my ancient uber friend/contact stopped EU so i can t even borrow one, someone lended me a weak argo claw FEN and i tried it a little (around 20k cycled) but i didn't feel a big change to my return (but 20k isn t that much)

I'm at a point if anyone got some advice i'm fully open to hear them, but my current point of view is the game is still hard as always for mid players... if you can t hunt nice mob you won t loot any decent L item with some MU... (thats why i m thinking to switch to spider).
So i'm all open to suggestion...

Back