Loot Wave Theory?

AckerZ

Old Alpha
Society
Dirty Dingos
Anonymous AckerZ Anonymous
How dependable is the "wave theory" when it comes to mining and does it change depending on the server.

My understanding of the loot wave with mining is that for a certain time window each hour(?) The rarer ores/enms become available. I've tested this a few times and in areas where lyst/oil are the common ores it's seems to hold true. However when I move into other server quadrants(from mininglog.com) where lyst & oil are not found it doesn't seem to work in the same way. Admittedly my tests aren't as extensive in these areas than in the lyst/oil areas.

Is this found with other players or am I mislead about the wave theory and how it works?

That’s where your own testing comes into play, but some servers (like Emerald Lakes) are fairly unique in how resource composition varies over time. This is a topic where “dependable” doesn’t really fit well unless you have some really good testing, and that’s not data people are likely to reveal because of the advantage it can give.

Thanks for the response, would you say Im at least on the right tracks with my initial query regarding server differences impacting how 'waves' are distributed?

It's not hourly... Hour and a half waves that are somewhat random and can almost be timed by when the 'buff' that randomly hits might be more correct imho... Also when talking of mining depth matters dearly... as does probably how well mined that area is. You aren't gonna get much if the miner right before you just got a lot and emptied out the resources.

Yup - the wave works for a time then doesn't. I found a few hunting waves, but they seem to be location dependant. Not mob dependant. I also figure MA changes the routine every "maintenance" or VU. I also theorize that the hunting loot waves are directly related to the mining loot waves. (not sure how crafting would fit in this theory. some people think crafting loot is also location based.)

Yup - the wave works for a time then doesn't. I found a few hunting waves, but they seem to be location dependant. Not mob dependant. I also figure MA changes the routine every "maintenance" or VU. I also theorize that the hunting loot waves are directly related to the mining loot waves. (not sure how crafting would fit in this theory. some people think crafting loot is also location based.)
Crafting works in to it because there's a set amount of certain resources in the system... once crafters burn through it it creates the new wave available wherever/whenever it shows up.

There are plenty of stories from loot 1.0 times that if a rare crafting mat is withheld from crafting until a time of low turnover, that people can craft, rush out into the field and regather it over a few loot waves while people are busy sleeping or whatever. Whether this can be called evidence, or whether things still work this way (if ever they did in the first place).... ok dunno :)

I remember the good old days of 16.2 second wave peaks with only 2, 4, and 8 second time shifts. Back when noobs wondered why “certain SOCS” would leave piles of mobs laying around with one person solely looting in a seemingly odd manner.
mining was always harder to time but it was possible with enough miners running to give a steady stream of global chat to time off of.

Can you describe what a loot wave looks like just so I can be sure I'm following you correctly.

Do you mean when you have been looting oils almost non stop for about an hour then all of a sudden you get slightly rarer loots for a few mins then back to the standard oils. Is that the wave in hunting?

Can you describe what a loot wave looks like just so I can be sure I'm following you correctly.

Do you mean when you have been looting oils almost non stop for about an hour then all of a sudden you get slightly rarer loots for a few mins then back to the standard oils. Is that the wave in hunting?
It’s a wave pattern. The peak is the high point of the natural loot cycle. That peak could result in a 5 ped kill paying out 8 PED or an ATH depending on the multiplier at play. Works the same for mining when the probe “finds” a claim at the peak of the wave it results in a profitable find. What we noticed was that there was a slope leading to the peak then a steep drop off. So if you were a 10th of a second late you’d be at the very bottom of the swell and get Nil. If you were a 10th of a second early you’d get slightly less than whatever the max that particular peak could have paid out. Peaks would be 16.2 seconds apart with 2,4, & 8 second shifts in time to keep it seemingly “random”. When they did the CE Update they added 6, 10, and 12 second shifts AS WELL which made it almost impossible to follow the algorithm.
As far as what it “looks like” it’s like the waves in the ocean. Pretty straight forward... the odd big wave... and every rare once in a while there’s a rogue monster tsunami.

It's sublime. Like the wave forms that describe light. It's not something you can see.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=light+frequency+wave&t=ffnt&atb=v1-1&iax=images&ia=images

here is a technique you can try to get this working in your imagination:

• goto entropia life, sign up, login then goto http://www.entropialife.com/Hunting.aspx

• select a mob and plot the AMOUNT of loot over TIME on a chart, extrapolate the data into the future

• then when you figure the pattern go hunting hitting it harder during the peak loot times

ps don't tell messi i told you his secret :)?

Last edited:
This is probably MA's devs favorite subject on the forum, I think they are having a giggle every time.
There are some tested truths in this thread. There is 0 evidence for the "hoarding" theory...

That's how MA keep my interest in the game, and not only mine, there has hints from them, but i think they are only to confuse more these which trying to understand the loot better.. So the loot theories are interesting, otherwise everything is just grind. =D

Back