A Settler's Story (pts 5 & 6)

Dusk

Elite
Trinity Dusk Trinity
Parts 1 & 2 of this story can be found here. Parts 3 & 4 here.
This part of the story contains some strong language.

It was now a month since I'd emerged from the bay doors of the transporter ship into the warm air of Port Atlantis. From the advice of Callum, who along with Liam, had caught up with myself and Michelle at Twin, the three of us noobs had stuck together to work on sweat gathering and do some general searching around.

Over this time period, I'd collected around 25,000 bottles of sweat and chanced upon nearly 2,000 pieces of dung. I always passed up the chance to collect fruit as each of my first two opportunities to do so had ended in my death. That's not to say that the native animals weren't killing me anyway. So much so that Michelle had commented that I was very good at dying!

The problem was that there was not alot to do other than sweat and collect stuff as we had no money. Actually, that's not strictly true. It turned out that Michelle, originally a native of the Netherlands, had brought over 3,000 Euros with her to Calypso. The trouble was the only Earth currency accepted for exchange into the local PED was the United States Dollar. For this reason our activities were very restricted.

We were starting to go out of our minds and so decided to contact Callum, who we'd not seen in almost three weeks. We explained that boredom was now setting in and that we needed his advice. He responded by telling us to get over to Port Atlantis and sell whatever we'd got. He warned us not to advertise but to be patient and to listen to what the other traders were offering for what we'd got.

So a teleport jump to PA and a visit to the storage facility and I was ready to trade. Several traders offered me half a pec per bottle of sweat. I'd been advised by Liam that this was too low, but then heard someone offering 0.6pec. I initiated the trade with the woman making the offer and the deal was quickly concluded. 25080 bottles of sweat for 150.48 PED. I felt rich. Like I'd just won the lottery.

Then my attention was drawn to the fact I still had plenty of dung.

I listened intently but couldn't hear anyone making offers. I'd been waiting about ten minutes when a man rudely disturbed my attention.

"What you selling?", he abruptly demanded in a strong accent that I didn't recognise.

"Dung", I countered.

"How much you want for it?"

At this point I didn't have an answer for him. I had no idea what the market value of this stuff was.

"Show me", he ordered.

At this point I pulled out the dung. There was alot of it. Then before I could do anything this man had snatched part of the dung and made a run for the teleporter.

"Son of a bitch", cursed Liam, who had been stood nearby and had witnessed this. I was weighed down with dung but Liam was light on his feet and pursued the mugger.

The mugger jumped onto the teleporter, but it seemed the adrenaline rush of robbing someone blocked his ability to TP out of harm's way of a furious Liam. Liam tried to lunge at him on the teleporter but was dodged. The man then sprinted off through the crowds of people towards the Shopping Mall a short distance away, followed by Liam and me, by now so angry that I just wanted to give this guy a good kicking even if I'd had to dump the rest of the dung to do so.

We ran into the Mall and decided to split up to try and find the mugger. I started on the lower level while Liam used the televator to get to the top level. We searched the place thoroughly but to no avail.

"Fuck it", I said. "The arsehole's welcome to it".

I'd realised that the mugger had stolen about 400 pieces of dung. I'd dumped four times that amount just to give chase. The guy was obviously desperate enough to make money by any means that he could. However this realisation did not temper my anger at someone who had taken from me in that manner. I was replaying visions of me getting hold of this guy and smashing his head against a wall until blood was pouring everywhere. Having said that, in reality his medium build would probably have been more than a match for my slender physique. Then my pure evil thoughts were interrupted my Liam.

"What now?", he asked.

In many ways it was a stupid question. I needed some means of therapy to dull my anger, I'd now got money and everyone knows that women like nothing better than to shop! I sent a personal message to Michelle to come and join us, then we got on with the job in hand.

We'd been at the Mall for about an hour or so when we found a discount store. Many cheap items were to be had, but none of us wanted to part with any money just yet. I guess it was a novelty having Ped Cards with some monetary value. We came out of the shop, and while Michelle and Liam went to the store next door, I walked across the Mall to another one. I don't know why to this day, but something drew my attention towards the Estate Terminal outside the shop. I accessed it, then gawped in stunned amazement at what I saw...

By now, Michelle and Liam had come to find me.

"Hey, what's up?", asked Liam, having seen my slack-jawed expression and trembling hands.

"L... L... Look at the terminal", I shuddered.

"Unit 1G...", read Michelle.

"No... the owner... read the owner's name", I countered.

"Elvis Trinity", she read. "Do you know that person?"

"Sort of", I replied. "He's my brother..."

part 6 to follow...

A Settler's Story (pt 6)

The shock of seeing my brother's name on an Estate terminal had by now started to pass. I now felt this urge to go inside, but what would I find? Who would I find?

I walked into the shop alone, down the corridor and turning left. I was greeted by the sight of many armour parts hung on stands and on the walls. For a moment I forgot why I'd entered that particular shop. There were handguns, rifles and other weapons on the wall as well. The whole layout and the contents looked impressive. At that point I was disturbed.

"Hi, what are you interested in?", this young woman cheerily asked in what sounded like an American accent.

"Erm... I... I'm looking for someone", I stuttered, "Apparently he owns this shop."

At that point the atmosphere changed. This woman looked at me with a glare. Then she pulled a Castorian Enblade from a wall display and held it to my throat!

"Ya better start talkin', bitch", she ordered. "If you're another of that son of a bitches whores then I'm gonna cut you..."

"I'm his sister", I replied, the panic obvious in my voice.

Still holding the weapon, she looked me up and down in a sceptical, disbelieving manner. And I couldn't really blame her. While I am dark-skinned, my brother is a white Caucasian. This apparent discrepancy is a result of family history, my mother splitting with my brother's father and her later relationship with a man whose parents had emigrated from India in the 1960s.

"Don't bullshit me you bitch", this woman demanded.

"Tell me how to prove I'm telling the truth", I said while almost standing on my toes to try to prevent the blade from piercing my neck.

"You tell me", she glared back.

"L... Look, I dunno what Vin did to you or what you think I've..."

"What did you say?", she asked, her anger now wavering. "What was that name?"

"Er... Vin", came my reply. No-one in the family actually called my brother Elvis. We all knew him as Vin.

The woman dropped the blade, almost giving me a mastectomy in the process. "He told me his family called him Vin", she stuttered, not quite knowing how to react.

Feeling extremely relieved that the blade was not pointing at my throat now, I introduced myself. "I'm Trinity, but Vin always called me T."

Wide-mouthed, and by now completely stunned, the woman replied, "Yes, T. Trinity. My God, I can't believe it. Er, I... I'm Sandra."

At this point I pulled out a photograph of me with my brother and our mother. "Here, just in case you're still not sure", I said. She seemed convinced already but with blades to hand I didn't want to take any chances. It turns out that Vin had showed Sandra a photograph of our mother.

What followed was an in-depth conversation about my brother, what had happened between him and Sandra, and what had happened to make him leave.

Vin and Sandra had been on the same transporter ship that had brought them to Calypso and they'd hit it off immediately. They ended up sweating together, hunting and mining together and that friendship had developed into a physical relationship.

Then one day while out mining they'd had an enormous slice of luck in the form of a find that netted the pair of them over 70,000 peds after auction markup. This was the amount that allowed them to set up a shop in Port Atlantis and then stock it so well. It was only my brother’s name on the estate terminal because dual registrations were not possible here.

Things had started well enough. As well as low-end stuff, they'd got enough money to be able to buy some high-end items and hold on to them for a few weeks, before selling them at a huge profit. This was largely thanks to soaring inflation on these items and the desire of the Ubers to have them. But it was the repeated contact with some of the Ubers that brought about the end for Vin and Sandra.

"His eye was caught by a female Uber called Louise", Sandra told me. "It was downhill from there on. He became less interested in me, I'd see less of him."

Sandra looked dejected at this point. She continued, "Then one day your brother came to me and said it was over, packed his bags and went."

Vin had left Sandra with the shop and all of this stock, yet I could see it had been no consolation to her.

"He'd been screwing her behind my back", she said, by now starting to work herself up into an angry fit. There was nothing I could say. I'd had my own relationship evaporate into thin air, it was probably a reason why I was here now.

At that point, Liam and Michelle walked in. I'd forgotten about them and they wanted to know whether or not I'd found my brother. I explained everything to them. Meanwhile, Sandra was ranting about how she'd go to Ithaca and "sort out" Vin and Louise if it wasn't for all their Uber friends.

Eventually Sandra calmed down. She then said to me, "If you wanna take any of the gear then go ahead. Just leave me the Uber stuff. Get your friends kitted out too."

"Are you sure?", I enquired.

"Yeah, she sighed. "Some of it is your brothers, and I'm likely to sell up anyway and move on. Maybe to Amethera, maybe to another world. Too many memories here."

With that the three of us decided to take Sandra up on her offer, sorting ourselves out with armour sets, handguns, rifles and faps. Oh, and I got that Castorian En-Blade that had earlier been held to my throat. "This'll remind me of you", I joked. Liam and Michelle looked on puzzled as Sandra smiled - the first time she'd smiled since I'd said I was looking for the shop owner.

Sometime afterwards as we were leaving the shop, I turned to Sandra, "You mentioned Ithaca?"

"Yes, Fort Ithaca is where your brother might be hanging out these days", she replied.

"Thank you. And whatever you decide next, good luck", I said.

Myself, Liam and Michelle had walked through the Mall and into the square that was still full of traders. Does this place ever go quiet I wondered. At that point, Michelle turned to me.

"You want to go to Ithaca, don't you?", she asked.

"I have to", I replied. "I have so many questions for my brother.

"I just sent a message to Callum", Liam informed us. "He says to head north from East Scylla."

I don't know whether it was really in their plans to travel to Ithaca, but I knew that I simply had to go there. Besides, It'd be more interesting than sweating and dung picking.

At least we'd now got a real goal...

to be continued...

Intriguing story Dusk :-D

Back