Build a new computer?

Parsley

Provider
Society
Cave Dweller
Parsley
I've got enough parts to build a couple of new computers, If I build one and attatch it to a wireless network just for P2P stuff, will I be able to play on Entropia on the main computer or will it just crash and burn like it does now when I try running P2P and Entropia together? :confused:

it all depends on the parts you have. if your processor can handle the 2 at the same time then no problem. also make sure you have enough ram to balance the load. but with going wireless you lose bandwidth and connectivity. so take into account any connection issues you might have with the game. remember that "lag" isnt your computer working slowly to the universe. its your computer reacting/responding slowly. Your avatar will be active, and you may be too behind to control it when its crucial. like during a mob's attack. perhaps if the pc is crashing troubleshoot it and check the 2 main culprits...insufficient ram and slow processor.

Primary computer (this one) is running on an Asus Dual Board, two XP Athlons running at 2.6Ghz each, maxed out memory at 8Gb and 2 Tb of storage :D

Planning on building a computer with a MSi board and Athlon 2800 and will put a couple of gigs ram on it.

Back to the original question :) If I build that comp will I be able to use that for P2P suff off my availble bandwidth (ADSL 2.3Mbps) and still be able to play on Entropia with the primary computer?

Well you could try to limit the bandwith for the p2p. The thing you want to restric most is the upload speed. However I wouldn't recomend doing serious stuff in Entropia without full speed on your connection, lag times will be greater pretty much any way you try it. Especially at the limited speed of 2.3 Mbps (24mbit?) - that sort of connection usually has 1mbit upload which I think is your biggest problem. :(

since the computer is optimally built, the last question would be how much of that connection does your pc utilize? pcpitstop.com has upload/download tests that you can run. if you actually pull 2.3 meg from that connection then yes. i'm sure it will work fine. if you get less than .8meg then no (and that also means you have a different problem lol)

I get 1.9 Mbps off that test, i live right next door to a BT exchange, I think I'm first in line for the bandwidth :) I appologise to any Tiscali customers that live near me, when your internet connection gets dog slow its ME hogging the bandwidth for P2P/Entropia :D

FWIW, I often have 3 computers running EU on wireless at the same time (wife and kids on the other computers) and don't usually experience any significant lag even if I'm using a 4th computer for internet browsing. Don't usually do P2P so I can't address that directly, sorry.

rofl. i'd love to live next to the exchange box. damn. anyways, yes with 1.9 you shoud do fine. There is an application called TCPIPDr that autoruns and optimizes your connection speeds. When i ran it i got 11% increase. so i recommend looking it up. it used to be on downloads.com, but i dont know if it still is or not. and unfortunately i'm not at my pc to look it up (at work, and the smartfilter doesn't allow anything fun lol)

Bahhh blue screen of death on both computers, think maybe leave this till I'm more sober,and why are the keys so small on a laptop? :D

Back