Info: Calypso Depths FPS Issue

fred5283

Stalker
Society
AO
Norian Norian Xx
There is a FPS issue in CD. I figured out how to somewhat relieve it, but not ultimately make it go away.
It occurs in multiple areas - 1st level, bridge, high maturity mind reaver and marcimex rooms.

How I figured it out... I have locking ignore view on. FPS is around 10 in bad areas. I put my weapon away and my FPS went back up to 80. I turned locking ignore view off, and problem mostly went away (still small issue with fog in high maturity marcimex room)

Anyways, what the real root cause is IDK, that’s for MA to find out.

Same issue in cp caves

Same issue in the argonaut cave

Same issue in the argonaut cave
That one behaves strange, at least for me (didn't say anything so far because pc is below min specs anyway, but now in context it might be relevant): Starting at much lower fps compared to the game outside of the instance, usually around the time I completed 3/5, i.e. the 3 caves behind the first entrance, suddenly it improves again and fps is quite like outside. It's the same almost every time (I'm saying almost because the machine is so weak that anything else running on it like a web browser can bring it down, but this moment of change in the cave is at the same point every time.)

Feels as if something gets pre-calculated which takes up to this moment and then the rest can run smoothly. Can this be the problem with other instances which have more elaborate designs, so this process keeps ongoing for the duration most people spend in there? Do folks with faster/slower computers or more/less gpu ram notice differences? Btw I don't notice lowered fps in the Feffoid cave but that one seems much simpler and probably requires less calculation. If this is the cause, could the result of such a precalculation be cached?

Still around, sad

still not fixed reported so many times, ma dont care

Till MA fix it you can uncheck locking ignore view in setting seems much better.

Having a weapon out is causing this issue it would seem, for whatever reason.

Till MA fix it you can uncheck locking ignore view in setting seems much better.
Good suggestion, but doesn’t work all the time down there.

Yes, makes hunting easy lol. IDK why, but path to root cause of issue lies here.

Same as Argonaut cave. Strangely, it doesn't appear in Feffoid cave or other instances afaicr. Or other planets, anyone? If this is one of those hard-to-fix problems, it would really be good to have acknowledgement they're working on it, because this is really annoying to the extent of damaging when you don't want to go to these places anymore because of it. Would our community manager be so kind and extract some communication from the devs' den, please? This problem has been talked about a lot in public already, it's really not a good thing to ignore. Wine, whiskey or cheese may age gracefully but this just stinks. (I know I'll get flak for even asking politely, as if that would work.)

I can't say I've noticed this issue, although I don't have a fps overlay running. I'd ask if it has been fixed already, but that just sounds like a stupid question lol.

Although I did check the locking ignores view setting, and I've always had it unchecked, maybe that's why it doesn't seem noticeable to me.

Happens in Tidewater Cavern too, bad
90 FPS without weapon
11 FPS with weapon/shooting

It has something to do how MA calculates next possible target for their select target function. In the caves the algorithm they use takes the fps down.
You can see this f.x. when you uncheck locking ignores view that when you are in the Argonaut cave and you are in the first cave of the 2 cave section and you are looking in the direction of the other cave the fps goes down and when you turn away from the argos in the last cave the fps goes up.
In the old days, when we had a select next and a select previous target button they, MA calculated the mobs once and did not change it(the sequence of the mobs) until some events happend and also did not check if the mob is behind a tree. The new methode was to do the calculation in time so as soon as you ready a weapon the algorithm starts to calculate the closest target and in the instances like the argo cave all mobs are "visible" to it, then all will be checked for which one is the closest.
The problem comes now as the game starts to calculate which mobs are hidden behind a object, out side it would be a ledge or a tree in the cave it's the walls and as this calculations restarts every time you move your avatar by a inch the fps go down to hell as the recalculation and their crappy line of sight algorithm starts again and again its time consuming, fps blocking calculations. This is also the reason you notice that in the last cave f.x. the fps goes up as then the check for visibility is nearly allways true and the calculations are much less time consuming in that case.

At least this is my 5 pec of knowledge I can share in this case.

Reactions: San
I do not know about other caves etc. but the FPS issue in the Argo cave is nearly gone.
MA managed to change the code of find next target to not bring down FPS to unplayable rates, like 9 FPS with weapon drawn, it is now a loss of maybe a third of FPS so bringing down FPS from 60 to more than 50 which is still OK to move around and target mobs.
With "Wait for vertical Sync" enabled. (added by editing the post to clarify testing conditions)

Thank you MA for correcting this annoying bug.

Last edited:
I do not know about other caves etc. but the FPS issue in the Argo cave is nearly gone.

Good to hear!

If anyone does experience further issues, please send a support case about it with any relevant information (such as where the issue occurs, and if any specific action triggers it).

Good to hear!

If anyone does experience further issues, please send a support case about it with any relevant information (such as where the issue occurs, and if any specific action triggers it).

So was it the F Key Algo, as mentioned above, that went bad when in caves and turning down the FPS as it tried to get next target when you had a weapon drawn?

So was it the F Key Algo, as mentioned above, that went bad when in caves and turning down the FPS as it tried to get next target when you had a weapon drawn?
This
We have recently identified the problem for why this is happeing and currently testing a fix. This is an issue in locations where there are a lot of targets in range, but not visible (hidden behind walls, caves etc) and the client is trying to find a valid target that can be used to lock on to. If all works out, it will be in the next patch.

I was in the mind reaver stalker cave and i must say it was perfectly smooth. Unlike before wheere the cold fog appeared to be laggy.

Back