Comparitive study of game architectures

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
I came across a game today that is in development. Due to be released spring 2010. I can't mention the name of the game as per forum rules.

Heres a pic from that game. It's concept art for an Airport and I happen to have seen the actual model in game which looks pretty much like the concept shown here:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

When I saw this it immediately reminded me of Athena spaceport and the Sissipaw water plant:

Athena spaceport

Sissipaw:

To me there are similarities within the architecture. Personally I like thsi stylized futuristic, clean and modern look.

Question is how did two game companies arrive at such similarities. Having both worked completely independently and with no links or communication with one another. I think the answer is simple. The both share the same "vision" of a stylized future and are influenced by similarities to whats in fashion at the moment in current state of the art architecture.

It would be interesting to see what stylizations we'll encounter on Rocktropia and Planet Cyrene. The future looks quite interesting terms of exploring these new planets. I for one am looking forward to to any concept art we get to see for the other planets.

What do you think?

Back