Current state of the game (returning player)

Mitchymoo

Provider
Society
Dark Side
Mitchy Sir Moo
Hello - it's good to be back after a good few years.

Recently, I logged in to my old EU account (Mitchy Sir Moo). I thought now, with the lockdown continuing to relentlessly limit my outside playtime in London, was the perfect excuse to dust off my Finder F-105 and get back out into the universe.

I can tell you a big smile spread across my face when I touched down in Twin Peaks and saw some familiar faces. :D I truly loved this game, and I even went so far to create a small video series back in 2012 called "Explore Entropia" - some of you veterans may remember it...

However, it seems a fair bit has changed. In the last two days since I re-logged, I've noticed quite a few things I don't recognise. The most noticeable of all - of course - is that the losses seem to be far more severe than I remember! But maybe that's just me.

So, what have been the main changes over the past few years? I'd love to understand how people who've stuck around all this time, particularly in the last 3 years, have noticed the game develop. Coming in from the cold, I'm finding that I need to re-learn many of the mechanics from the game and discover quite a few new ones.

Any advice for a returning colonist?

Best,

Mitchy Moo

Your losses form mining should hopefully reduce once you have had time to re-map, as many of the areas will have changed loot balance, and more importantly the ores/enmats (and treasures if on Arkadia) will have radically different MU. Mining as always is more profitable long term if you can chase some MU.

For hunting/crafting there has been a large shift towards the new (L) range of Armatrix weapons, these seem to be a very eco choice, and their popularity means the crafters are constantly in need of the mats to make them, many of which have shown a marked increase in MU, so check those BPs out to get an idea of what is needed.

Many LAs have changed hands on Caly and often as a result changed mob or mob density/maturity, fun for hunters but again as a miner take care until you work out what is where.

LBML is still around, but changes take a while before they are properly reflected there. Nothing beats some unamped exploration for discovering new favourite mining areas :)

Good Luck out there

Also remember there is a Universe beyond Caly, there is some good mining out there. Chat to other miners for clues on what and where and have fun :thumbup:

In no particular order:

Loot 2.0 was introduced, your loot depends on the decay you took (over simplifying things). Dev notes #11 and #12.

Tier and enhancer systems were changed, tiering is slower (they are working on this) but much much MUCH cheaper. Dev notes #21.

Crystal Palace was split into shares and auctioned. It's still managed by MA, but most of it is owned by the players (right click your pedcard > Entropia Exchange).

A new mission system was implemented called "Codex" all creatures are suitable to have codex mission progression. Managing missions and mission progress is much easier now. VU16.5 notes.

The 3d engine was improved. VU17 notes.

From memory, I think those are the biggest changes.

Overall, I think the game has improved over the last few years.

Last edited:
The most noticeable of all - of course - is that the losses seem to be far more severe than I remember! But maybe that's just me.

it's not just you. It's an official change. They reworked/changed crafting/mining 2,5 & 2 years ago. Hunting 3-2 years ago.

So better get used to it. far more severe losses than before the changes is the new norm, however, in the very long run you get payback hofs/global, maybe.

However, there's also some good changes. Like amount of loot a mob drops depending on the costs you had to kill it (includes armor & fap cost), the minimum decay per hit on armor got removed.

overall the game got much better for hunters... for crafters/miners it generally got worse.

Mitchymoo,

Welcome back. I too am a returning player from the 2012 era. I did a YouTube series back in the day called 'Mo's Mining Musings'. I decided to return to EU five weeks ago and I've been streaming heavy for most of it. Viewers have been a valuable resource in getting caught up to modern game mechanics.

Mining seems to employ the same general strategies with markups of ores and ents being generally lower compared to years past in addition to the changing markups due to crafter demand. Mining amplifiers markup prices are lower as well. I have found that the LBML maps and F.O.M.A. domes have retained their positions geographically for the most part.

The lower demand for crafting materials is probably due to a new introduction of 'generic' blueprints designed for leveling, blueprint hunting, and BP gambling (primarily, Explosive Projectiles). This has resulted in a bit of a breakdown in the symbiotic relationship between hunter, miner, and crafter with inter-trading for markup as the ingredients for these blueprints are Nanocubes bought from the TT machine. There are a number of opponents to this system and even crafters are open to changes as higher level blueprints should theoretically have more varied, complex, and rarer ingredients. Proponents of the new system are represented by the sheer volume of crafters who enjoy these blueprints and also iterate the argument that 'basic ammunition for hunting and mining are available via TT, so too should 'ammunition' for crafting'.

Hunting drops via the new Loot 2.0 system take a bit of getting used to and weapons now feature an 'Efficiency' statistic. This area of the game tends to have the least amount of agreement among players as to the actual changes and inner workings of loot distribution. THIS thread is an official collection of Mindark official quotes regarding the new system. The quotes are helpful, but some of them lack clarity which, combined with ever-changing theory on loot allocation, gamblers fallacy, and lack of scientifically principled analysis of giant pools of loot data, have resulted in much confusion and disagreement among players.

New space rules have drastically reduced lootable areas of space and virtually eliminated space piracy. Mindark's lack of providing needed expansion to content in space has, in my opinion, resulted in less overall usage of warp services, and potentially lowered the value, or at least the utility, of warp capable vessels.

Many of the new and previous planet partners have done quite well with development and have a core population. Others languish in a virtual maintenance-mode or are suffering due to poorly implemented planet-specific mechanics. I'm still trying to get a better idea of the quality of Mindark's relationship with specific planet partners.

Overall I'm having a hard time predicting the future of Entropia Universe. Mindark once relied on the sale of land deeds to fund engine overhauls and provide needed revenue. However this was a one-time offering and they now have to pay land deed owners dividends in perpetuity. I believe they will have to develop some sort of subscription based model in order to fund the needed revenue to modernize their infrastructure and ensure the game's existence as technology advances. As we all know, failure to offer new content and market to new players will shudder any MMO. Entropia is profoundly dependent on the symbiotic relationship and trading among core professions. There has been a remarkable resurgence of returning players like ourselves as well as brand new players. I hope this boost will give Mindark the motivation and revenue to innovate and plan for the future.

These are at least, some of my musings on the subject.

Welcome back!

Luri UncleMo Nightshade

I've just returned yesterday to the game. I'm an old PE veteran, and playing this game always brings back memories.

I still think this game has a future, and untapped potential. I am shocked at the lack of useful guides on social media. I can't even begin to imagine how confusing the game is to beginners. This game really needs more of a youtube/social media presence that explains all of the various mechanics in the game.

I stopped playing the game when I felt Mindark was too desperate to earn money from the playerbase. They started charging money for equipping armor, for travel, space exploration and all manner of things.

It is a surreal experience seeing my mentor of 14 years ago still play the game, and all the other familiar faces. Entropia really has among the best online communities, that will never change.

This is all really helpful, guys, thank you! I forgot how dedicated and forthcoming the community was :D

Welcome back Mitchymoo :)

It's true the game has changed quite a bit over the years.

I realize that as a miner this is not as important but if you are interested in that sort of thing, I wrote a new guide on Armors that you can read here if you like.

Good Luck!

Legends

Welcome back Mitchymoo :)

It's true the game has changed quite a bit over the years.

I realize that as a miner this is not as important but if you are interested in that sort of thing, I wrote a new guide on Armors that you can read here if you like.

Good Luck!

Legends

Heya, Legends. Good to be back!

I'm actually more of a hunter than a miner. Especially since I've been back, I really think that hunting has a new lease of life! Reading a lot about the changes an 2.0 - overall seems like a positive move. It's all about efficiency and game knowledge, which I like (though admittedly I've been very bad at in the past). I'm working to improve this now.

I'll def read your guide about armours. Very important and I want to make sure I have a few sets for different mob types/maturities when I can afford to buy some.

I was also reading your recent post about loot returns and tracing your hunts. This is something which I have never done before but I want to start. I'm trying to create a tracker in excel but I'm not very good at it! I requested some help in the Hunting section: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?315798-Hunting-Tracker-to-track-loot-returns.

Your approach seems quite sensible from what I have seen, would you be able to support me on this at all to help get me going? :)

I think I remember you from twin too.. I WAS planning on returning too, lol! But... just from reading the replies XD, all the headaches came back.

Now I think ahhh-- I'll leave my newfound entropia lust away from the stay at home situation.

Welcome back

Hunting no looters are gone and blazars only drop from a few low level mobs now.

Back