Question: Developing for any of the planets

jwestonmoss

Alpha
Francis Merlinfire Sureshot
Hi there. Been playing for a little bit, by no means a hardened veteran of the game, but have played long enough to decide I'd like to stick around. I'm depositing as I can, but I thought to myself that I'd like to try my hand at developing for the platform as a way to help grow the ecosystem, I have 20 years of dev experience, 10 of which is professional. Aside from contacting MindArk (I saw their careers section), does anyone know if planet-owners need developers as well? My interest would be essentially part-time as I have availability (keeping my day-job). Is there a path here, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

There's some job listings on there currently. I didn't apply because I assumed based on the listings that the level of time-commitment they'd be looking for would be full time.

Reconsider, if you go down that path you will be rewarded with endless whiney complaints and smart ass comments like the one above.

You might try to reach out to the Planet Partners directly through their forums. I am not sure which ones have full time development teams or even take on part timers but they might be looking especially when EU starts working towards the Unreal migration. I guess it depends on where in the world their HQs are located and how they do their hiring. It never hurts to ask. There might be some limitations on being a player and part of the dev team so that is something to keep in mind as well. Even part time worker might exclude you from participating in some or all parts of EU.

You might try to reach out to the Planet Partners directly through their forums. I am not sure which ones have full time development teams or even take on part timers but they might be looking especially when EU starts working towards the Unreal migration. I guess it depends on where in the world their HQs are located and how they do their hiring. It never hurts to ask. There might be some limitations on being a player and part of the dev team so that is something to keep in mind as well. Even part time worker might exclude you from participating in some or all parts of EU.
that's an interesting point. I hope it wouldn't be too stringent. but i understand how that could be a problem. i assume that would be a bigger problem if you worked directly for mindark because they (i assume) would have much more direct and granular control over the economy. but i guess we'll see :)

The RT owner may be interested. Definitely this planet needs a developer to support it, and it seems it doesn't exist at the moment. I've never seen him on his own planet, but here in the forum he sometimes comments, so you're more likely to contact him here.

Reconsider, if you go down that path you will be rewarded with endless whiney complaints and smart ass comments like the one above.
It's harder for me to get on the game-dev hate-trains generally these days. I know the devs are just doing their best most of the time. It's like getting mad at the cook or the waiter because corporate changed the menu. Mistakes get made sometimes, but it's pretty much never out of deliberate malice, spite, or brazen avarice. Often it's a misread on expectations. Everyone has an idea of "ideal world" in their heads, and sometimes words do a poor job of conveying that.

Back