Entropia and the metaverse

Legends

Elite
Society
Dirty Dingos
Inherent Marxus Legends
There is a ton of hype these days about these new metaverses that are popping up all over the place. A short list of them along with a brief description of what they are could look like this:

- Decentraland: the first one, a decentralized version of SecondLife where pretty much everything is UGC, with cartoon-like graphics
- Somnium: a more recent one, the graphics are much more faithful to SecondLife in this one, can be experienced in VR
- AxieInfinity: Primarily a decentralized Pokemon-type of game where owning land opens up a whole lot more gaming features
- The Sandbox: A Minecraft-like world where everything is built using tiny blocks called Voxels. Land is going to be limited tp 166,464 parcels
- Star Atlas: A decentralized version of EVE Online but running UE5, not yet playable but registration is on-going
Etc... (there's way too many of these to list here)

How does Entropia fit into all of this? Other than the fact that MindArk were one of the very first to acknowledge and pioneer that players should really own their virtual assets, I don't really see their presence in any of this craze that's about to unfold, and I think that's not a good thing. Entropia is very much relevant in the current scene of the metaverse craze. But how does MindArk position it and where to begin?

First of all - Presence:
I know that a long long time ago, MindArk used to attend these gaming conventions in LA and other places. I know it was costly and I suspect the reason they don't do this anymore is they realized along the way that there were much more cost-effective ways available to promote Entropia. I think they made the right decisions and I do understand where they were coming from at the time.

Nowadays however we are seeing a big push to virtualize everything, including presence. This is to mean: life inside one big virtual world. There's quite a few issues with this and I am cynical about it having overnight success, for example Virtual Reality headsets like Oculus tend to make people nauseous after a while and our bodies cannot live exclusively in virtual reality; we'll always have to feed ourselves and look after our bodies. But with that said, that doesn't mean that virtual reality isn't going to happen, in fact it is happening; Facebook just announced that they are going to be spending $10B this year on it and an estimated $5B every year after that.

So how does Entropia engage this new craze? Simple; by being there, being present inside.

Wouldn't it be cool for Entropia to at least have a little piece of land in some of these metaverses that are popping up so we can have representation and get new players? This isn't like having a booth at a gaming convention in LA or Las Vegas where you pay a large sum of money for the booth for a week-end, have to pay staff to be there, and hope it will somehow be worth the investment. This is more like buying an acre in the heart of Las Vegas when it was just a concept, an idea.

Take The Sandbox for example: Atari is there, Care-Bears, Smurfs, The Walking Dead, etc... clearly, it's going to be a busy place, lots of content creation and lots of buzz over the next few years. Even concerts from Snoop Dog and Deadmau5 are very likely on the horizon. Buying a few plots of land in there right now would cost less than $100k usd and would assure MindArk access and content creation ability going forward:

index.php

I want to make one thing clear:
I'm not pushing for MindArk to "sell" Entropia by decentralizing it and putting it on a blockchain, I don't think this is a good idea and though it surely would benefit everyone in the short-term, the game would not survive this in the long-term.

All I'm saying is Entropia needs to ENGAGE with this new craze and be PRESENT at least where there are very interesting things happening, like for example in The Sandbox, and possibly some other places. And perhaps, just perhaps, MindArk should keep an open mind about the possibility of adding a planet within Entropia that IS decentralized, if only to bring new people and opportunity to our universe, I think we all have to keep an open mind about that. I'm not saying to change the currency or decentralize a big chunk of EU, I'm just saying it could be very beneficial to add a small area in EU that is itself decentralized and who's transactions are handled by a crypto network. Call it a new Planet Partner but it would primarily act as an entrance way to funnel new people and opportunities inside Entropia.

If Entropia wishes to be truly relevant while this hype is unfolding, MindArk will most likely have to do something like that. I don't think repeating the word "metaverse" a few times on the home page is going to cut it. MindArk has a lot of experience with this arena, I think they should leverage some of that experience, this is the time.

Cheers,

Legends

Last edited:

Yes I remember that, and I was actually considering mentioning it. The guy that did this was pretty smart, made himself a million dollars for very little effort when you think about it, but once the page is sold out, it no longer really has any relevance. That's not really the same as a decentralized virtual reality like The Sandbox, as long as the people there continue to create interesting content, it will continue to have relevance.

What MA needs is to provide a way for players to become content creators in-game in a bigger way than present. By a mixture of increasing the tools available and reducing the barrier for entry.

guys they missed the train.
im invested in like 30+ play 2 earn (yes this is possible) games, also a few "metaverses"
they are good on the economic / tokenomic / blockchain side but mostly lack in game-mechanics/design.
but they getting better, only a matter of time if "the metaverse" will build out of the most successfull participants.
i have a few positions in entropia but i dont think that mindar will be leader in this space for various reasons we all know.

What MA needs is to provide a way for players to become content creators in-game in a bigger way than present. By a mixture of increasing the tools available and reducing the barrier for entry.

Yes, no argument there. When MA released Land Plots about 7 years ago, I was excited because I thought this was exactly what they were doing, I thought they were finally turning Entropia into a little bit of a sandbox where players could create interesting content.

But everything in Entropia takes an innordinate amount of time to be done. I think I've finally come up with the formula for how much time it might take MindArk to release something:

t = the longest amount of time it might take an average game developper to release something
m = the actual amount of time it will take MindArk to release it

m = 3t

I think it's pretty accurate :)

My oh My ...

I stumbled upon this as I was browsing OpenSea:

index.php

The little girl image looks earily similar to My's avatar icon don't you think? Could it be? Do I dare believe???

If it's true and MA owns a 3x3 in The Sandbox, that's pretty cool, and would be valued at around $180,000 usd atm :)

My oh My ...

I stumbled upon this as I was browsing OpenSea:

index.php

The little girl image looks earily similar to My's avatar icon don't you think? Could it be? Do I dare believe???

If it's true and MA owns a 3x3 in The Sandbox, that's pretty cool, and would be valued at around $180,000 usd atm :)
Well, that's just the character Lilla My from Mumintrollen, so i very much doubt that it's actually MA My

Isn't this what AmVerica thing is supposed to be? (i.e. the replacement for the Thing)

Isn't this what AmVerica thing is supposed to be? (i.e. the replacement for the Thing)

Probably the same general idea, but ND was a bit early. Maybe more important though, his marketing wasn't so good. It's just a terrible name, and that matters.

Back