Even Weird Al Yankovic couldn't save Radio Shack!

BenCoyote

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote
Oh this is humourous, and in fact I have to point this out..

Less than 2 months ago, a certain celebrity by thename of "Weird Al Yankovic did a commercial spot for one of America's top electornic stores.. and I'm refering to what else but Radio Shack..(Or as some of us Americans call it, "The Shack")

Here's that spot for Christmas..

Now here comes the irony...

Yesterday, Radio Shack (or as we call it "The Shack"

Filed for Chapter 11 (insolvency) bankruptcy.. and thus in a way, the company is in a way out of business after 84 years (yes , 84 long years as the company was started in 1921) of helpgin people with things like finding batteries, electronic components, and even toys and computers (that is before the company got out of the computer biz..

But fear not, cause now Sprint (yes Sprint Moblile)
has decided to swoop in to save the company and will share it's name with "The shack..

But it made me wonder... DI Was the Weird Al Spot for this last Christmas a last stand for the shack? or was it that the company just seemed to not be able to profit.. even if they brought in a guy like Weird al to save them..

Makes you really wonder...

Oh and for all of those of you in Eurpoe and South Africa and anywhere there is a radio shack.. you're gonna see the same changes here we are too..

So good bye "The Shack" Even though Weird Al tried.. Just like Any Good surgeon, the patient still died on the table..

Benjamin Ben Coyote
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper" (and) "His_Dcg_Spot"

I feel like the shack really needed to embrace online sales to stay solvent. There was a time when they were THE place to go for various electronic components and devices, but now a days you can peruse a huge selection of such items from the comfort of your home.

Long time coming, this was almost as easy to predict as Blockbuster's fate.

Long time coming, this was almost as easy to predict as Blockbuster's fate.

Blockbuster video? I didnt realise it was a global/American/British company....went bust here too damm shame now i have to rent off torrents..........:)

I'm amazed Radio Shack lasted as long as it did. I thought it was the coolest place the shop in, like, 1990. Then we got the internet and cell phones and that was that.

It's cool to see the Weird Al ad -- two blasts from the past in one!

I'm amazed Radio Shack lasted as long as it did. I thought it was the coolest place the shop in, like, 1990. Then we got the internet and cell phones and that was that.

It's cool to see the Weird Al ad -- two blasts from the past in one!

It's rather a sad story to see the rise and rise and fall and fall of this company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Corporation

I remember well going in Tandy stores and often lingering outside the windows wishing I could afford that 486 PC.
Yeah.... They used to cost £2000 back then. I'd forgotten that they even made their own computer. Stick them with Atari / Sinclair / Psion and all the others for losing their way.

Back