Question: fast gaining skills

Infinity

Alpha
Mr Infinity Infinity
a few years ago some people claimed that it was smart to skill on tantillions cause of the skill gain, you got more skillpoints killing them then any other mob.

Is it still so that tants gain fast skills or is it another mob now. And if so, is there still a high dens spawn of tants around like there was on atlas island?

It's still true, merps on Atami's LA also give you the same results. I thinki Oro's on Arkadia are the same correct me if I'm wrong?

It's still true, merps on Atami's LA also give you the same results. I thinki Oro's on Arkadia are the same correct me if I'm wrong?

From what I've seen in all this time mobs here on Arkadia give more skills in general.

I never subscribed to the idea that tantillions gave more skill than other mobs. The reason that i spent months at "Tant Plateau" (rest in peace) is that it was unique in offering a good density of:
  • a small (hp) mob
  • with small damage
  • and high aggro

That tended to lead to fast skillgains because (1) there is a "skill loot" you get each time you kill a mob, and so you get proportionately more skills per damage (so per pec) from smaller mobs,* (2) you could take a lot of hits (increasing chances to gain Evader skills) with relatively little damage, and (3) you could do both quickly because they would "come to you".

I'm not aware of any decent tantillion spawn in game since VU10, but perhaps someone who has been around more since then can tell you differently. I do miss fighting off waves of the little pink bouncing boogers... :laugh:

You get a similar benefit from small merps for similar reasons, and that may be the best bet. I got pretty good skills from the merp Iron Challenge, and approached it about how i did hunting tants. Sadly, there just isn't a similar spawn of merps. I've had a fantasy of owning a little tiny OLA with a high density, low maturity tantillion spawn, which i would put at 1% tax. Maybe some day. :)

* i do believe this was tested, but don't recall where. Sorry.

Last edited:
The highest skilling mob I ever came across was the Infected Staiger on Rocktropia, massive regen, level 20ish, health 10-30. Could quite easily skill 10ped tt of rifle per day there. Got nerfed now though. I'd agree with doer that merp young are probably the best atm, and for the same reason.

The tests I did a few years back showed that any mob with <=50hp gave a bonus.

From what I've seen in all this time mobs here on Arkadia give more skills in general.
Cyrus told me & confirmed that ark mobs did give more skill gains vs calypso mobs as it was an intentional design for arkadia. I think the best Mob in the universe to skill on is Oratan. Low hp / High L rating. That is imo the secret to finding a good skilling mob. Low health but high L rating & Oro would fall into that category, as well as Merp & Tant's. But overall Ark is great for skills as well as RT.

There is one spawn I found on the new island south of the TP odyseus @ the outpost. Respawn rate is only good for one hunter to be there really.

Back