FFA rewards

a competitor could safely resell their unused stars or pool up for the following year.
Exactly. Do you enter this year? Do you sell them? Do you save them and go for the big win next year or the year after that?

It adds another variable to the decision making and helps balance the issue of non combatants buying their way in. Players would have more incentive to hang onto them instead of dumping them into the hands of others in a last ditch effort to make some peds before they expire. Multi-year strategies could be formed (think societies) to make a push for placement. It encourages longer term gameplay as FFA is a once a year event (unless they add it to Summer Mayhem).

Exactly. Do you enter this year? Do you sell them? Do you save them and go for the big win next year or the year after that?

It adds another variable to the decision making and helps balance the issue of non combatants buying their way in. Players would have more incentive to hang onto them instead of dumping them into the hands of others in a last ditch effort to make some peds before they expire. Multi-year strategies could be formed (think societies) to make a push for placement. It encourages longer term gameplay as FFA is a once a year event (unless they add it to Summer Mayhem).
Well you could do all that but it wouldn't be FFA. It would just be another standard mayhem annihilation with a differently named, tradable token. The rewards would have to be rebalanced too. Top tier wont be 80k and 2 rare, reduce the risk, reduce the reward.
FFA has a unique mechanic to it which I would want to preserve.

Well you could do all that but it wouldn't be FFA. It would just be another standard mayhem annihilation with a differently named, tradable token. The rewards would have to be rebalanced too. Top tier wont be 80k and 2 rare, reduce the risk, reduce the reward.
FFA has a unique mechanic to it which I would want to preserve.
The premise of competing with FFA Points to win larger prizes still exists by removing the expiry of said points.

The premise of competing with FFA Points to win larger prizes still exists by removing the expiry of said points.
The expiry generates an all-or-nothing frame of mind. Where having them roll over to future competitions wouldn't, it's an idea that is fresh and I like it this way. Another key critical point is current FFA starts everyone from zero, every year it is a new competition, with new buyers, and competitors have no prior advantage of amassed stars. I would argue that it is fairer.

It would certainly be less devastating to the losers, but I think it would break FFA entirely. It is designed to make you over cook the cat to make sure you beat everyone else, at an extremely higher cost, that’s why the rewards are high, because the risk is also.
If they carried over than there would be no issue with not placing, a competitor could safely resell their unused stars or pool up for the following year.
This! ^^^
I thought they should carry over but that is exactly right and great point.

The expiry generates an all-or-nothing frame of mind. Where having them roll over to future competitions wouldn't, it's an idea that is fresh and I like it this way. Another key critical point is current FFA starts everyone from zero, every year it is a new competition, with new buyers, and competitors have no prior advantage of amassed stars. I would argue that it is fairer.

Without expiry also opens up the opportunity for a solo player to make a push for a prize by saving their own tokens over multiple years without the need of purchasing the points. It adds a layer of complexity and strategy vs short term economic activity of who has the deepest pockets this specific year.

I would personally like to see it as a Society based event where you enter your points to the Society pool and the prize tokens were split proportionally among society members. It would be a healthy addition.

The short term, frantic "all-or-nothing" selling you see each year would still be present if the expiry was removed.

Back