FYI: How Evade / Dodge Works

siremi

Old Alpha
Emi Odyssey Sir
Hey everyone,

One of my personal goals has been to skill Evader / Dodger to level 100 (and I'm very close now).
Thus I’ve gathered some good tips on how the system works, that could be useful for new / older players that want to skill this as well.

As I've been asked to explain several times and I did in soc chat, I can put my answer in here so I can always refer to it.

There are two things you can get while defending from mob attack:

A.) MISS (not related to Evader but other things, creature parameters and maybe your combat professions)
  • This is a bit of a black box, so can not provide too much info on it. It does look like you're getting more misses as you progress your combat profession levels.

B.) EVADE / DODGE (depending on attack type and your Evade / Dodge level vs. mob stats). Several things determine this:

• Under The Creature Level. The mob hits you every time. You will notice your stress level will raise as you're trying to jump around, heal, sometimes panic as crits come flying left and right. You die a lot of times, you wonder what armour / plates / fap you could get. Repair bills are very high. This could be fun, but could also be frustrating. This is what it means when they say you are "hunting above your level". If you have good armour, continue and skill up, if not maybe find a lower level mob. That could be just changing mob maturity. Your chances to EVADE are NIL so don't even bother with "Evade Chance Buff" items, they will NOT work.

• Matching Creature Level. In general you start to get this shortly before your level approaches creature threshold (if creature has high regen it will be lower threshold but don't need to complicate it here). Safe to say you will start to see the message at this point e.g. spider L52 you will start to see it around L49 Evader or so. This will be when the Athenic ring will start to work, not before. The "Evade Chance Buff" does not modify your Evader level as is popular belief, but in fact it increases the chance to get EVADE. Your chances here are low, ~=2% of attacks will EVADE and 24% Evade Chance Buff will increase that to 2*1.24 = 2.48%

• Passing Creature Level. As it says in Wiki, "The good news seems to be that the first levels of Evader give the most significant improvement." This is where your "Evade Chance" jumps the most. With each level you will notice a significant increase in the EVADE messages. Again, forget about the regen mobs. At about 5 levels above creature, as Alina said you feel it, the chance is now about 20% - 25% on each attack. This is where the Athenic ring will start to work to increase that chance further. You will notice your repair bills go down by about 30%, esp if using a "Evade Chance" buff, either ring, armour or melee amp.

• Owning the Creature Level. The creature can not longer mob the floor with you. At this point you can do the creature naked, not that you should, but you probably could. Your level is 20+ levels above the creature and your chance to EVADE is very probably maxed. Your "Evade Chance" is ~= 40% and the "Evade Chance" buff provides the greatest benefit. A 25% buff (max) can make the chance 40 * 1.25 = 50% of all attack can EVADE on top of MISS. This is were you hear people say they are evading 75% of all attacks (50% EVADE + 25% MISS). Safe to say it's not on all mobs, but 50% - 60% is a good estimate here. A note here, THIS is your "Goldilocks Zone" where your repair bills are minimum and were you should be hunting long term to maximize your profitability. There is no armour / plate that can match this 60% bonus to your overall defensive capabilities. Your repair bills have decreased by up to 75% compared to the first point. You are now the BOSS of it!

To those asking why even skill Evader because a high percentage of armour / fap costs during combat is returned in loot, the answer is:
  • There is nothing in the game that will increase your survive-ability by 60% and reduce your armour / fap repair bill by up to 75% with no additional cost.
  • Every time you HEAL, even if it's with restoration chips, you are losing some time due to switching tool and tool reload time. During that time, the mob can hit some more. This reduces your DPS, increases your repair costs and lowers the optimized loot you get, generally reducing your efficiency of generating markup.
  • As mentioned in a reply, the percentage you do not get back from armour / fap, if left unchecked and with high repair bill, can add up on long run and could drain your PED card balance.
  • If using L markup armour / plates, there is also an additional cost often times overlooked, e.g. 100 PED @125% mu on armour / hour vs. Evader 25 PED @125% mu / hour. The non-Evader loses an additional 25 PED (mu paid by Non-Evader) - 6.25 PED (mu paid by Evader) = 18.75 PED in markup / hour
Feel free to post your comments.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited:
A good example of this is watching Messi when he streams Eomon stalker hunting, he never drops below 90% HP with only lifesteal no resto chip running. Put his same gear on someone with half his levels and its an entirely different story. Evader levels make all the difference in hunting

The small amount of ped that doesn't get returned in loot (healing, armor decay), quickly adds up if you are hunting things over your evader/dodger level, and is often the main reason of loss.

A good example of this is watching Messi when he streams Eomon stalker hunting, he never drops below 90% HP with only lifesteal no resto chip running. Put his same gear on someone with half his levels and its an entirely different story. Evader levels make all the difference in hunting

Sadly for eomon stalker you really need to put in evade on codex and its only 7.81 for repeatable.

Last edited:
One small insight, im hunting flesh rippers, so far i had 0% evades (im hunting lvl 44 young rippers) but when i reached Evader 40 and a bit over it (40,3) i finally noticed my first evade on em :D yaay

Seems like 10% under creatures lvl you can start to evade... at least whats concerning flesh rippers

Have you managed to find the maximum combined evade/dodge/miss you can get from a mob i.e found the cap that tells you are maxed on the mob. With tally is very easy to track this.

Have you managed to find the maximum combined evade/dodge/miss you can get from a mob i.e found the cap that tells you are maxed on the mob. With tally is very easy to track this.
Different mobs have different amounts of miss %

Some mobs just naturally miss more then others

Wait. What. You can’t just jump to the left as a mob is about to take a swing and make it miss with your ninja reflexes?

Thanks for post OP very insightful!

I got 65% evade/miss on abo juvenile, i am lvl 38 evader and 25% evade chance from buffs
Edit: Looks like on other mobs i got 70%+ evade but on lower ped cycle

Different mobs have different amounts of miss %

Some mobs just naturally miss more then others

There are a few mobs that will never MISS, only EVADE / DODGE.

These mobs might begin to MISS as very high professional levels, or they might never MISS...

When skilling Evader, is good to choose a mob that will MISS you a lot. Your armour decay will reflect that.
That's because combining MISS+EVADE will give you the best rate of evasion.

Last edited:
Dps is the best evade 👍

This is sometimes a bane, when skilling Evader. If you never get hit, you will never skill Evader.

The lowest Evader are people using high DPS rifles that kill the mob before it gets to you.

The highest Evader is the melee hunter that always gets mobbed.

You have to find a balance between low defense decay and getting hit to skill Evader.

This is also reflected later on in Hitpoints and PvP / Land Grab. The Rifle hunter is a glass cannon, while the Melee hunter is a though bastard :)

Last edited:
Talking about the extreme points, like L100 player versus L1 mob or vice versa:
When the first discussions on this topic arose in the old Entropia Pioneers forum over two decades ago, I seem to remember that mobs always have or had at least a 5% chance of hitting the player and a 5% chance of dodging the player's attacks, no matter how superior the player or the mob were.
The same chances exist(ed) in reverse for the player.
It is precisely those 5% that always provide MA with a minimum income.

This also seems legitimate from the perspective of the AD&D game mechanics underlying PE, and the human desire for straight and reasonable limits.

Since before Loot2.0 there was no guaranteed decay return, it was unpleasantly expensive for the testers back then.
I remember lists of up to ~200 counted attacks.
The old limit value tests were only approximately as precise as reasonable, and 5% may just have fit the picture.
So perhaps MA has now, or always, set 4% or 6% and there may be specific mobs which have such 5% caps altered or removed.

Side note:
The hit/evade graph is not linear:

For the math geeks: f(x) = x³
x=evade lvl minus mob lvl
x_orig.gif

For the mortals among us:
The hit or evade chance remained near 5% for quite a while and then steeply increased to remain evenly for +/-5 levels of evade compared to mob level. Once leaving this +/-5 level equality of mob level compared to player evade the graph then again steeply increased to the said 95%.
MA stated in PvP the defender is granted a +20 level evade or doge bonus in the calculation.

Last edited:
Super interesting concepts, i would add some numbers on lifesteal to skill evader faster

new items allow a "leech build" made of x22+s20 ring that maxes to 10% the lifesteal
this combined with the "overpower" concept above (evader max buff with 25 level above creature

taking into consideration ArcSpark (69 ma dps, (/1.4308 = 48 effective DPS), 115% with buff from rigns = 55 unamped no enh, allows 55/10*60 = 332 Heal per minute with 100% of received damage (Naked hunting) useful for evader progress, no cost for healing and defense

SB90, unity, great claw, rdi weapons, 100 ma dps, tier 2 (cehap to obtain) and appropriate amp, it is (100/1.4308)= 70 base damage 45% from amp, 20% from 2 damage enhancers, 115 effective dps, 690 heal per minute.....

this is for melee...
but same is available for BP70+dante, or alpha, modmerc, xp1 doa with same rings... 600 Heal per minute life steal build are in game at level 80ish combat... at those level 50+evader is there so anuyuthing under level 30 is a naked hunt.
only concern is being swarmed.

Question
-Can you level up evade/dodge if mob misses, you evade, completely absorb damage or block damage? i.e. Do you get evade/dodge skills when the mob attacks regardless of the outcome of the attack?

Sadly for eomon stalker you really need to put in evade on codex and its only 7.81 for repeatable.

If you did that it wouldn't do you any good for dasp because for dasp you need dodge :)

Last edited:
I can't believe I havn't seen this thread before.

Great information here, thank you Emi Odyssey Sir for explaining it so well!

THis is really nice, indeed lovely insight into such an important thing.

Do we know approximately how much defense skill can be gained from a mob? I remember hearing that people used to do these death runs for free skills against big mobs but then MA changed them to only have a certain budget for skills before they stopped giving skill rewards, so you'd have to actually kill the mobs. If that's true, do we have any idea how that is roughly calculated?

Do we know approximately how much defense skill can be gained from a mob? I remember hearing that people used to do these death runs for free skills against big mobs but then MA changed them to only have a certain budget for skills before they stopped giving skill rewards, so you'd have to actually kill the mobs. If that's true, do we have any idea how that is roughly calculated?
Mobs stop giving you defensive skills after 3 minutes of being in combat with them.

really? so 3 total minutes of aggro, basically? odd that it would be a timer like that rather than some tt value of skill gained.
Correct just 3 minutes of aggro..” it doesn’t care about your tt skills gained.

Also tested with low level, med and high level mobs. Same 3 minute results

Last edited:
Don't forget to use armours with correct buff of creature hunted, e.g. for DODGE use an armour with Dodge Buff :)

Bump

Back