Question: Is selling ice to an Eskimo wrong?

e-lite

Society
Magnum Opus
Xaero e-lite Cynque
So I have a hypothetical question for you guys. If you apply the saying "Selling ice to an Eskimo" to Entropia, would you consider such a thing to be wrong?

I mean, some people are just natural born buyers, would you consider the seller a bad guy for selling useless stuff to someone that doesn't really need it?

0b217a1.jpg

Is selling ice to eskimos considered bad anywhere in the world? I always presumed it was something positiive to show how good a salesman is.
If Eskimo buys ice, then he needs ice for some reasons (maybe it is gluten free).

If salesman presents fake information, then it is cheating and shouldnt be tolerated. Like Vendor says this ice gives you wings and makes your wee-wee grow 10cm a year.

So if the question is about selling ice to eskimos, then nothing wrong with ppl being very good at what they do.
If it is about deception, then no bad deed goes unpunished, if you scam enough ppl sooner or later there will be no ppl left who would be willing to trade with you

I would say that could fit if you trying to sell a computer, to someone who already use his computer to read your offer :)
But in Entropia there is a need! The difference is that need it is virtual.

Maybe the Eskimo is having a mid life crisis...wants to change it up a little, live life on the wild side.

Perhaps for him/her it all starts with new ice. Glad to help, especially if it meant it could pay for my way out of the arctic.

It is not the seller's duty, in most cases not even within his capability, to determine whether a buyer really needs something. Have you been reading too much Marx and Lenin, and too little Hayek and Mises?

At today's street prices that bag of Ice would be worth quite a bit of cash but the risks are just to great i think personally... what with the cops, other ice dealers and getting hooked on your own product it just isn't worth selling it to anyone let alone Eskimos.

Plus i think the Eskimos are onto that guy by their expressions.. undercovers possibly.

Every shop in EU is full with items useless to most people.
So I think you are doing nothing wrong if you don't lie or somethng.

Read Donald Trump's "Art of the Deal"... Might give you some insight. :wise:

Last edited:
The economy in all 1st world countries is based on maximum consumption. The idea that you actually might not need to consume so much is almost a crime against humanity. There's countless institutes, in fact there's a whole separate industry busy with cultivating the next, even better generation of consumers.
The natural resources are nearly depleted and the planet is dieing but who cares. If u can sell more ice to the Eskimo then u're obviously doing something right, right?

I've found Arabs are always willing to make the Sahara desert larger, so selling sand for the right price can be profitable. ;)

(...)
I mean, some people are just natural born buyers, would you consider the seller a bad guy for selling useless stuff to someone that doesn't really need it?
(...)

If someone is bending over - do you have too... you know?

Personally i just come by and ask: "why are you bending over?"

Falagor
:bandit:

Not sure what this topic is really about since we buy water and I guess ice as well. So yes my bet is that Eskimo's do go to their local 7-11 and buy ice?:eyecrazy:

As long as you are honest and don't try to deceive anyone i cant see why selling something would be wrong. If the person needs the item or not is up to the person in question not you.

Is selling ice to eskimos considered bad anywhere in the world? I always presumed it was something positiive to show how good a salesman is.

In Sweden, there are "phonesalesmen" that calls elderly people, and (by not taking "no" as an asnwer) make them subscribe to phone services, and when a relative of the elderly person Contacts them they get the information that they got a phone subscription with "Corporate" terms (ie, no regret policy and takes 3 years to resign from).

Or call someone "You just won a competition", and when the person on the other side just says their name they take it as a "yes". Time after time. In some cases it's the same people behind, but they just change to Another Company name.

Often these shady compaines hire Young people that gets fired up by the competition, so they would put all their efforts into it to get a "yes". There is a proposal that agreements made over the phone shouldn't be valid until there is a signed agreement, but then the compaines respond with "we provide good jobs for Young people"...

Back to the original question. Sometimes it's about Selling a Product that seems to be unnecessary, but then it shows up that the customer wants a ´quality´ that isn't availible just by picking from the ground. For instance, Saudi arabians importing sand, because they want a finer sand than what they can find in the desert (to make Concrete). Or even snow plows ... to plow off sand off their roads.

But on the other hand there are shady Sellers also. IRL it's the provision drived phone salesmen that won't take "no" as an answer even if the buyer is 80+, senile and hearing-impaired; in Entropia it's the people who sells Jester D-1 to beginners claiming it's a good "noob gun". Even if it's possible to sell anything to a hearing impaired elderly person, I woun't call that elderly person "a natural born buyer". Or that mentally challenged person who during a festival passed by a Booth with phone subscription Sellers, got a bag with iphones and ipads and next month got a subscription bill at 1000 SEK [Think PEDs]/month. (Think of it: How likely is that that someone who actually need two ipnones and an ipad seeks up a temporary stand in the middle of the street and signs up for a very expensive agreement, rather than visit the store of the phone Company that is located 250m from there...)

For Entropia, the problem I guess would be compulsive gamers. Just Think of how it works: If there are great loot swings and you have a budget, yuo will get down to 0 pretty fast, and if you then telling them "you're sampling over a for short period", it's like telling someone who bought 10 lottery tickets to keep on buying until they hit the jackpot. Some people do manage that, others don't - and the problem with those who don't aren't in the end paid by the ticket vendor, but rather things like employers and insurange companies, when the one who's been playing above their budget starts to commit frauds and thefts to continue their compulsive gaming. Just consider since there are peopel who are withdrawing five (and maybe six digit) numbers - sometimes as profit, there must be people who have deposited the same amount.

Last edited:
So I have a hypothetical question for you guys. If you apply the saying "Selling ice to an Eskimo" to Entropia, would you consider such a thing to be wrong?

0b217a1.jpg

I guess we all want to know what's behind the hypothetical question. What are you really asking?

Fresh ice tastes way better than ice which has been sitting outside for decades.

About 90% of what we buy is unnecessary.

Reading this thread reminded me when many many years ago I was working in sales and my collegue said -
A good salesman is one that can sell cow-milking equipment to a farmer and take his only cow as a first payment.
Does this apply to entropia, yes it does. It is virtual universe or virtual reality whatever you think describes it better.
Selling is not scamming.

A good salesman is one that can sell cow-milking equipment to a farmer and take his only cow as a first payment.

There are real salesmen, and there are scumbags.

A real saleman is aiming to fullfill someones need.

The scumbag type of seller can walk over dead bodies to claim the "provision", and doesn't give the slightest that his vict^h^h^h^hclients will give bad rep over the firm, the good and even the brand just because they feel they have been scammed.

Deem for yourself what kind of seller who would do the above.

As an example, look at this web page: http://www.svenskhandel.se/varningslistan
( Google translate link: https://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://www.svenskhandel.se/varningslistan )
Decide for yourself if you want your Company on that list or not.

Common scams on the phone: https://translate.google.se/transla...r-olika-kop/se-upp/vanliga-bluffar-pa-telefon

Selling is not scamming.

For that statement, you should define what constitues Selling; if it is just the act of Money and goods that Changes hands or an agreement that is under signing, or if it is the entire process from the Point the buyer first gets contacted from the seller until the Point the buyer explicitly or implicitly has accepted the trade as final.

Last edited:
There are real salesmen, and there are scumbags.

The scumbag type of seller can walk over dead bodies to claim the "provision", and doesn't give the slightest that his vict^h^h^h^hclients will give bad rep over the firm, the good and even the brand just because they feel they have been scammed.

Deem for yourself what kind of seller who would do the above.

As an example, look at this web page: http://www.svenskhandel.se/varningslistan
( Google translate link: https://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://www.svenskhandel.se/varningslistan )
Decide for yourself if you want your Company on that list or not.

Common scams on the phone: https://translate.google.se/transla...r-olika-kop/se-upp/vanliga-bluffar-pa-telefon

For that statement, you should define what constitues Selling; if it is just the act of Money and goods that Changes hands or an agreement that is under signing, or if it is the entire process from the Point the buyer first gets contacted from the seller until the Point the buyer explicitly or implicitly has accepted the trade as final.

I think I shouldnt have involved word "scamming" there :)
But still my statement is true as selling is not scamming, misleading and/or misselling might be, that is why there are offices overlooking this and dealing with that, be it law enforcement or law solicitors it doesnt matter as there are civil rights and obligations. Same here in game is terms of agreement which people should refer to and contact support according to ToCs. But one thing is same to game and real life - people have to use common sense and to their ability they can trade whatever in whatever way as long as it follows rules.

Back to selling ice to an eskimo - if eskimo wants some special ice or be it "made special" by seller in some way, let him have it. If you are asking for his right leg in exchange for that damned ice, there is something wrong in both traders involved, neither of them have a full ticket. But as long as at least one of them has enough dignity and clear sense of what is being sold or bought, such trade should never happen. If however they are both sensible then maybe we should look into it and figure out an investment opportunity?! :) Anyone else wants to chuck in some money into common fund for some fresh ice from northpole? :)

Cheers
Soko

Not exactly what I learned when I worked some years in trade.

A real salesman, sells as much as possible to get the biggest turnover, so he is the salesman of the month and gets some extra reward from his company.
Beside that, the more turnover a salesman does, the more he earns.

We live in a damn capitalism, where more than 90% of the trades are things the end users, don´t really need.

Examples:
Why you need a new car, when your old one is only 2 years old and still running.
Why you need your own pool in the garden, when your neighbor (who actually is a good friend) already has a big pool you could use any time?
Why you need the brand new coffee maker, when you already have an old coffee maker, that does the job last five years and still could do it the next 5 years.

aso aso aso

The job of a salesman is to suggestate the customer that he needs that damn thing you want to sell him, even if you are absolutely sure that he don´t need it.

Examples:
Why you need a new car, when your old one is only 2 years old and still running.

Why do people buy Iphone 6s when they already have an iphone? Is it because of the salesmen?

If it's the salesman: Good grief; you like those salesmen who sells junk to mentally impaired people?

... No. Most of the cases, where the relatives doesn't sue the phone Company to tear up the agreement, it's as easy as a whish to have "the latest". Either hunt for status, such getting a pool if the neighbour has one, or something that is percieved as "better".

Most people who are mentally sane, know that when a phone seller calls it's not because a Company want to give you the greatest offer they have, but that there is a basement Company Calling every number in Sweden, hoping they would find a customer who, with a pinch of fantasy at any Point in the conversation has said the magic Word "yes". And yes, the represenatives of those cellar companies have the mantality you sugest. They hire Young people who have a hard time finding a real job, and give them a monetary reward for each new "sell".

There is a difference between "trade" and "sell" ("I work with sell" vs "I work with trade").

Edit: I didn't know they had an English version lol.

Last edited:
Back