Leadership Skill

RexDameon

Mentor
Society
Entropia Pioneers
RexDameon Rex Andreosn
My soc's been around for over a year now and i've been leader for about 99% of that time. And i was thinking of other soc's that have been around since before i started playing and have had the same leader for all that time and though you know there should be a leadership skill. I spend A LOT of time managing my soc. Working on our website managing our forum and trying to keep things enjoyable with good goals and rules as i think many others Leaders do to or else well they wouldn't be leader if they didn't lead well i think. So why not have a leadership skill based on how big your soc is and how long you are/were Leader for. Could be worked into reputation system later on too.

I think this is great. In some ways.

Good:
I know some who is ALOT online but spend most of their time on socbuisiness. Their not great skilled in combat or anything but for some reason alot of great players want to be under their lead? Why? DUH. their great leaders, thats what matters.

Not so good:
How big your soc is doesnt really have anything to do with how great a leader you are. it doesnt mean the society is better when everyone knows everyone well, not like the biggest socs where there is 200 people, I doubt everyone know where everyone live there, or when their birthday is and so on.
There's alot of ways of beeing a great leader.
Sometimes its not even the leader of the society that does the socbusiness, but have their second-commanders doing it for him/her.

So how to settle it?
My ideas:
There was talk about reputationsystem ingame once. How about letting the socmembers give the leaders (and maybe the second and third command) a ranking on how good they are. Like we rank threads in here. The rank-skill will offcourse be anonymous.

Yes and no...
here are my initial thoughts:
As Skam said, size of soc should not necessarily matter.
Also, I know of quite a few soc's (mine included) that is more democratically ruled... that is, either all of the members of the top members (ie veterans, advisors, etc) all make decisions.

cough cough hogs cough ....

Reputation rating for the soc in general would be my vote...Then one interested in looking for a soc would know just what kinda soc it is if it has a good rep or not....Can see it now...we all are running around with little diamonds above our heads like in the Sims Entropia edition lol

Our soc also uses a cousel system for acceptance and booting ...we have some growing pains but all in all we are turning out a better qualitly of recruits and peeps that are involved.

Umm, then what about us that never have been in a soc ?

Also, if there were a "leadership" skill i could see alot of the old socs breaking up and ppl starting their own as leader, ten times as many socs but only small ones.

Nah i say we should stick with Ma's original idea of reputation. Could also help point out scammers and people who are not always very nice to have around. (No offence meant to anyone here)

Greetz :cool:

what about a trade reputaion...like after the transaction you could give good rep or bad...scammer be hit for sure there!

here is my first and still foremost question:

what would a skill called leadership do?

i can't think of a single reason to have it as a skill.

reputation on the other hand...that would be great, but it should never be judged on how old your soc is or how many members it has. there are so many socs out there that there is no way to now jack squat about 80% of them. maybe even 90% of them. there would be a ton of people with great rep, for no other reason than they have never done anything.

you shouldn't get rep without interacting with the community at large.

I agree with others that reputation system would take care of that "leadership rating".

Though only credible way to implement reputation system is quite complex...

leadership skills is just going to create dissention in societies, because everyone wants to be the leader to get skills :p

reputation system hasnt been implanted yet for one reason - its so open to abuse. What if everyone you traded with gave you bad rep, just because they thought it was funny? After a while, you would have such bad rep that you couldnt trade, no-one would trust you. This could happen by getting attacked by 'Bad Reppers' in PA. No-one would go there :p

There are many ideas to sort out and implement before Reputation ;). But Fame wouldnt be too bad - just could the number of hofs / globals :D

Aio said:
There are many ideas to sort out and implement before Reputation ;). But Fame wouldnt be too bad - just could the number of hofs / globals :D

I think instead of fame, MA could show "played since" -value to show how long player has played. That could of course be optionally visible.

Essi said:
I think instead of fame, MA could show "played since" -value to show how long player has played. That could of course be optionally visible.

Maybe add to that "total time played", someone who had an account for 1 year could easily have played more than one with a 2 year old account.

MindBuster said:
Maybe add to that "total time played", someone who had an account for 1 year could easily have played more than one with a 2 year old account.

I would love to see that myself too :D

Or maybe it wouldnt be nice to know :scared:

Essi said:
I would love to see that myself too :D

Or maybe it wouldnt be nice to know :scared:

OMFG :eek:

this would be bad....Geeks topping themselves everywhere! (99% of life spent online! :silly2: )

MindBuster said:

But actually thinking about it more... I think player since would be better. There are lots of people who hunt actively 2 hours per day and then lots of ppl who never used to log out but left their avatar online 24/7... total playing time would differ huge amounts without necessarily telling much about true playing time.

Essi said:
But actually thinking about it more... I think player since would be better. There are lots of people who hunt actively 2 hours per day and then lots of ppl who never used to log out but left their avatar online 24/7... total playing time would differ huge amounts without necessarily telling much about true playing time.

Still "total time played" would be more accurate.

MindBuster said:
Still "total time played" would be more accurate.

If average player plays 2 hours per day, he gets abour 60 hours per month. Half year he would get ~360 hours. Scammer who wants to look good gets that in two weeks by using autoclicker to stay online.

It actually would be cool to have whole statistics at infopage:
- days since avatar was created
- hours played
- avg hours played per day
- number of logins

etc.

Though I dont think MA has collected that data anywhere so everyone would prolly need to start from zero then.

Essi said:
If average player plays 2 hours per day, he gets abour 60 hours per month. Half year he would get ~360 hours. Scammer who wants to look good gets that in two weeks by using autoclicker to stay online.

scammer...? :rolleyes:

Kalashi said:
scammer...? :rolleyes:

If there is some system that even remotely indicates how reliable someone is, there is also someone who tries to abuse it.

Essi said:
If there is some system that even remotely indicates how reliable someone is, there is also someone who tries to abuse it.

yep. for every person that has a bad rep, there will be a very plausible sounding story as to how they were targeted by some group that was just giving everyone bad rep.

a rep system cannot work. this is a virtual universe and as such interaction is a must if you want to know if you can trust someone or not.

i know if there was a rep system, i wouldn't base my opinion of people on it. i'd have to see for myself.

Essi said:

Yes that is the problem. Infact, although I have often said that a rep system would be great, ultimately it could also be abused....

person A is a reputable person. He/she plays game for a year with a straight-ace 100% positive rep from every1 he encounters.
person A decides now is a good time to advantage of that good rep and scam a few ppl b4 leaving the game for his next mmorpg :(

Back