Make Space Hunting Not Suck

Xen

Mutated
Society
AO
Xendar Xen Xal
Make space hunting not suck for the 99% of players in EU who don't own a mothership or privateer. I assume with all the new non lootable space mob hunting areas you wanted more space hunting. You need to make it easier to do so.

1. First, the repair problem. I'll just link to another thread already started on that major problem.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?310945-Space-Hunting-Suggestion

2. We should be getting space skills (gunner) when shooting in space.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...oting-anything-in-SPACE&p=3715675#post3715675

3. Lock Target and Interact actions should work in space. Right now when hunting in space I feel like I went back in time 10+ years manually aiming and shooting. Some of us would like our hands to still work when we are older.

4. Having revive stations in the hunting zones would be nice.

5. We need a bunch of new personal (2 person?) non warp space only vehicles to hunt with. Could be both L and some unlimited, with both L and some unlimited space weapon attachments that give space skills when shooting. With the unlimited space vehicles you could make it so you could upgrade the SI a bit, but not like a mothership or privateer.

Also the rocket gun on the sliep does not work very well at all. The damage is way lower than it should be and range is bad.

All of these are good suggestions, but it should also be noted that space hunting actually sucks for people with motherships/privateers as well due to a significant lack of spawn density. Nothing sucks more than talking 4 of your friends into a space hunt only to spend the next two hours trawling in space for ten mobs...

It sucks because space is too big for ppl who want a good mob density, so the hunting session will be like 50% flying and 50% shooting.

Not to mention the cost of hunting space mobs are significantly higher than on planetside for small time hunters (oil, mounted weapons, pvp risk).

AFAIK, The space between SS and training grounds is still lootable pvp, so going across them with quad/sleip along with loots is kinda bad idea

These are all very good points.

I do believe Space can be designed with many different kinds of Mobs, for the MS and bigger ships there should be a dense, high maturity mob that offers unique items and loot in lootable PVP, as it should be. I also think that a MS can expand to many different levels like..Hourly rental ( with pilot ) for groups and societies to go to those areas which would be unique and a high SI preferred most likely requested.

(Also, I don't know about most but I'd rather warp to a planet then take 45 min quad ride AND go through PVP lootable.)

The issue is that most have quads and it is unreasonable to hunt in space. You find that fair? You wonder why the animosity and reluctance to a Space update request falls on uninterested ears? A resentment and hesitation to even go anywhere as it requires taking a risk, even just being shot down without any loot is a total waste of time, so hiring a ship and spend money even before you get to destination.Ugh ..Such a quandary.

Now, Quads are limited so they do decay along with thrusters and such, so hunting and having to get blown up and /or land to just repair (repeatedly) is a headache just to hunt the same loot you can get with cheaper ammo burn and less headache if you don't leave planet on any Atrox. I say it isn't worth it as the system is unless a few things change that are quite obvious as you read.

In saying that, what is the option? We could all just drop the whole space thought or interest and just leave it at that and go back to the way it was getting from point A to point B only using space as a dead place to pass through. This why these threads are asking to even the field for everyone to play and be happy.

Just some thoughts and I agree with OP

Last edited:
Space hunting is perfectly viable without any dramatic changes. I am pleased to see a renewed interest in space, but at the same time that doesn’t mean that it’s time to destroy the time and effort of those who have been hunting there for years, and the very people who have been pushing all these years to have an update!

As said in the other thread, gunner should not be given for mounted weapons, and captain works well as the space evade. It’s perfectly easy to skill it, there are many many large ships who do hunting runs.

Quads are interceptors, small fast moving ships, that can also do a bit of hunting. They are not designed for hours of grinding, nor should they be. There must remain a differentiation between quads and big ships. Being able to repair quads mid flight make no sense to the game play. As Morgoth alluded to you can actually grind with them however, if you learn how to hunt well with them.

Just like it would be crazy to make someone in pixie and an opalo grind and hunt the same mobs in the same way as someone with good armour and a good weapon, it would be crazy to equalise the ships in space.

It could well be the issue centres around the lack of any huge difference between the mobs in space, as we would see planet side. Maybe there needs to be more puny style mobs for those hunting with little SI /quads and huge mobs for those with high. As it is just now we have large ships collecting loads of little mobs to kill, and small ships getting destroyed too fast or wishing they could collect too. Maybe there are bigger mobs and we just haven’t found them yet!

The new hunting grounds are fab to encourage new and old people to come and enjoy space again, having a bit of fun in a quad as you would do hunting on planet with low level gear, but when you want to ramp it up onto grinding and heavy skilling, then it’s time to move up a ship group. The great thing is you don’t even need to buy one, unlike planetside Uber gear you can join a crew and skill up collaboratively.

What does need fixed in space is the zoom out on Ms guns, and the looting range.

Please do keep up the excitement and passion about space as many have done over the years, bit not to the detriment of others.

Last edited:
Space hunting is perfectly viable without any dramatic changes. I am pleased to see a renewed interest in space, but at the same time that doesn’t mean that it’s time to destroy the time and effort of those who have been hunting there for years, and the very people who have been pushing all these years to have an update!

As said in the other thread, gunner should not be given for mounted weapons, and captain works well as the space evade. It’s perfectly easy to skill it, there are many many large ships who do hunting runs.

Quads are interceptors, small fast moving ships, that can also do a bit of hunting. They are not designed for hours of grinding, nor should they be. There must remain a differentiation between quads and big ships. Being able to repair quads mid flight make no sense to the game play. As Morgoth alluded to you can actually grind with them however, if you learn how to hunt well with them.

Just like it would be crazy to make someone in pixie and an opalo grind and hunt the same mobs in the same way as someone with good armour and a good weapon, it would be crazy to equalise the ships in space.

It could well be the issue centres around the lack of any huge difference between the mobs in space, as we would see planet side. Maybe there needs to be more puny style mobs for those hunting with little SI /quads and huge mobs for those with high. As it is just now we have large ships collecting loads of little mobs to kill, and small ships getting destroyed too fast or wishing they could collect too. Maybe there are bigger mobs and we just haven’t found them yet!

The new hunting grounds are fab to encourage new and old people to come and enjoy space again, having a bit of fun in a quad as you would do hunting on planet with low level gear, but when you want to ramp it up onto grinding and heavy skilling, then it’s time to move up a ship group. The great thing is you don’t even need to buy one, unlike planetside Uber gear you can join a crew and skill up collaboratively.

What does need fixed in space is the zoom out on Ms guns, and the looting range.

Please do keep up the excitement and passion about space as many have done over the years, bit not to the detriment of others.

I agree with this 100%. the looting got me good the other night.. I musta lost 15 copses takin out a pile of mobs.. just cant move fast enough to loot them from the hood of the ship. bigger range n longer corpse decay timer be nice.

As expected, most of the elitist big ship owners are opposed to the proletariat being able to do stuff on their own. ;)

My ideas would be destroying nothing. Space skills should not be exlusive to those who spend 50k+ on a "weapon", or those given permission to tag along. If anything some have had an enormous head start. I think you lack perspective. Planetside no one has to ask me with my 50k gun to tag along at a time when I might go out hunting just to hunt themselves. Hunting solo in a quad now is not really viable. It is very slow and if you want to hunt anything that can cause damage you won't be hunting long before you have to spend a lot of time going somewhere to repair your vehicle and fly back.

There can be a "differentiation" between large ships and personal ships with plenty of space between (pun intended) to protect the big ships' value while making space hunting viable and enjoyable for the common person who does not want to or cannot make a big investment, or rely on others. I am sensitive to the issue of protecting investment value. I am not asking to "equalise" the ships in space.

Planetside someone can grab some inexpensive L armor (ship) and an L weapon (weapon attachment) and off they go. Or you can make a little investment and buy smaller unlimited ship (armor) and/or weapon. This is how it should be for space, if you want good activity.

As expected, most of the elitist big ship owners are opposed to the proletariat being able to do stuff on their own. ;)

My ideas would be destroying nothing. Space skills should not be exlusive to those who spend 50k+ on a "weapon", or those given permission to tag along. If anything some have had an enormous head start. I think you lack perspective. Planetside no one has to ask me with my 50k gun to tag along at a time when I might go out hunting just to hunt themselves. Hunting solo in a quad now is not really viable. It is very slow and if you want to hunt anything that can cause damage you won't be hunting long before you have to spend a lot of time going somewhere to repair your vehicle and fly back.

There can be a "differentiation" between large ships and personal ships with plenty of space between (pun intended) to protect the big ships' value while making space hunting viable and enjoyable for the common person who does not want to or cannot make a big investment, or rely on others. I am sensitive to the issue of protecting investment value. I am not asking to "equalise" the ships in space.

Planetside someone can grab some inexpensive L armor (ship) and an L weapon (weapon attachment) and off they go. Or you can make a little investment and buy smaller unlimited ship (armor) and/or weapon. This is how it should be for space, if you want good activity.

Noones talking investment value at least not yet.. Were talking demand. not even 10% of the ships up there are used or even have a use.. That's a lot of 50k+ ships sittin doing nothing. Were suggesting creating more uses and needs for them so there not sitting there doing nothing. That is why I agree with bonnie. until a time when the big ships are full and EU requires more and other alternatives I see no reason to consider anything else.

I do think tiny repair ability on quad/sleip would be kewl because I agree the revive/repair/fly back to training ground after each mob is a bit much and inconvienient for sure.

Noones talking investment value at least not yet.. Were talking demand. not even 10% of the ships up there are used or even have a use.. That's a lot of 50k+ ships sittin doing nothing.

I do think tiny repair ability on quad/sleip would be kewl because I agree the revive/repair/fly back to training ground after each mob is a bit much and inconvienient for sure.

You agree with Bonnie's post yet you just admitted to the above? Bonnie's idea of players investing into a larger ship category to hunt mobs that have the same loot (and extra ammo cost) as a planetside Argonaut is ridiculous. Sounds like an awful investment to me and terrible answer of inspiring individuals to grab some gear and hop into hunting a mob, I agree if grinding is your thing in Space that would make sense. Anyway, that passion and interest is now waning.

In my earlier post, I tried to show the ideas of expansion and even tours to offer larger ships can do other than getting from point A to point B for any space involvement, it seems we are taking 2 steps back on trying to involve people in space without additional purchase and more game play.

I highly doubt getting more people traveling and hunting is a 'detriment' to an already defunct part of the game. The no-looting zones may be where that angst comes from and how it has encouraged travel in individual
personal craft.

My hats off to Mindark for that and we are very grateful. :tiphat:

Last edited:

I think as space is currently designed to be collaborative, an engineer class ship could be created, which could work as the healers of space, creating new opportunities and fun :)

You agree with Bonnie's post yet you just admitted to the above? Bonnie's idea of players investing into a larger ship category to hunt mobs that have the same loot and extra ammo cost as a planetside Argonaut is ridiculous. Sounds like an awful investment to me and terrible answer of inspiring individuals to grab some gear and hop into hunting a mob, I agree if grinding is your thing in Space that would make sense. Anyway, that passion and interest is now waning.

In my earlier post, I tried to show the ideas of expansion and even tours to offer larger ships can do other than getting from point A to point B for any space involvement, it seems we are taking 2 steps back on trying to involve people in space without additional purchase and more game play.

I highly doubt getting more people traveling and hunting is a 'detriment' to an already defunct part of the game. The no-looting zones may be where that angst comes from and how it has encouraged travel in individual
personal craft.

My hats off to Mindark for that and we are very grateful. :tiphat:

Bonnies posts focus was not on the "investment" factor but more on the move up to a bigger ship factor for bigger game not equip quads with rk60 limitless solo hunting. And no one suggested any new purchases whatsoever infact just the opposite.. almost everything space needs is already sitting there lacking something to do.

Bonnies posts focus was not on the "investment" factor but more on the move up to a bigger ship factor for bigger game not equip quads with rk60 limitless solo hunting. And no one suggested any new purchases whatsoever infact just the opposite.. almost everything space needs is already sitting there lacking something to do.

Absolutely, a quick run of the numbers means there are currently 650+ Gunner guns in space waiting for gunners! lets not proliferate the market with yet more, whilst capable ships sit idle. I am hopeful this update will encourage inactive ships to spark up to life again, or be sold to those wishing to take advantage of the now more simple hunting styles.

It has to be onwards and upwards, not down and back. In the beginning we all hunted in Vtols :laugh: More active ships, more collaborating, more fun :)

Re: point #1, the repair problem, I think something like this would be great:

EVE Online is probably the authority when it comes to "ships in space" gaming. There are so many different classes of ships in EVE it's dizzying to look at when trying to figure out what ship to get. All of their ships have an array of module bays and customization options, it's actually very well designed but a nightmare to balance. Many ships have had to be nerfed from time to time just to keep everything fair, it's always being reviewed and adjusted.

But to keep things simple and straight forward in Entropia space, just do something like this:

- Add a slot to all space faring ships for a new kind of attachment - Ship Repair Modules
- Create say 6 levels of Ship Repair Modules:
  • Level 1 Ship Repair Modules go on Sleipnirs and is roughly equivalent to an RK-5
  • Level 2 Ship Repair Modules go on Quad-Wings and is roughly equivalent to RK-12.5 (halfway between RK-5 and RK-20)
  • Level 3 Ship Repair Modules go on Equus and is roughly equivalent to RK-12.5, but can repair other ships too
  • Level 4 Ship Repair Modules go on Privateers, is equivalent to RK-20 and can also repair other ships
- Motherships have 2 Ship Repair Module slots which can use either one of Level 5 or 6
  • Level 5 Ship Repair Modules go on Motherships, is equivalent to RK-30 and can only repair other ships
  • Level 6 Ship Repair Modules also go on MS, is equivalent to an RK-60 and can only repair other ships

So when you go out on a Society or Team hunt in friendly space, you just need someone with a Privateer or Equus, and you're all set. Or alternately, you could just make sure that everyone has a self-repairing module equipped to their ships.

When you go out for a Soc or Team hunt in lootable PVP space, it gets interesting. The Mothership with it's Gunner seats and it's ability to have a large crew to repair it, and 2 Ship Repair Modules to fix other ships becomes a highly valuable asset. Also Motherships have a ton of Cargo space which will most likely be quite handy once space mining starts.

It's important to note that Motherships can only be repaired by the crew on-board and cannot be repaired by another ships Repair Modules (Privateers, Equus or another Mothership).

Privateers should be able to go out and operate solo, be able to repair themselves as needed and be able to hunt or mine as they please. Motherships would be able to do this as well but also should be able to support a fleet of players who are mining and hunting in the vicinity.

A new Repair ship should be introduced which doesn't have any weapon slot but has an Area-of-Effect Repair Module which can be used to repair other ships in it's vicinity. An Equus or Privateer would still have a huge advantage over this new ship because they are also able to repair themselves with their modules and have weapons equipped, whereas this new Repair ship cannot, meaning that in a team hunt, you'd need at least 2 of them so that they can repair each other as they take damage in the hunting grounds.

All this is a ton of programming so better have a long-term view of the direction space will develop but I think the above should prove to be quite workable in the long run.

Some “puny” space mobs would be awesome imo.

Re: point #1, the repair problem, I think something like this would be great:

EVE Online is probably the authority when it comes to "ships in space" gaming. There are so many different classes of ships in EVE it's dizzying to look at when trying to figure out what ship to get. All of their ships have an array of module bays and customization options, it's actually very well designed but a nightmare to balance. Many ships have had to be nerfed from time to time just to keep everything fair, it's always being reviewed and adjusted.

But to keep things simple and straight forward in Entropia space, just do something like this:

- Add a slot to all space faring ships for a new kind of attachment - Ship Repair Modules
- Create say 6 levels of Ship Repair Modules:
  • Level 1 Ship Repair Modules go on Sleipnirs and is roughly equivalent to an RK-5
  • Level 2 Ship Repair Modules go on Quad-Wings and is roughly equivalent to RK-12.5 (halfway between RK-5 and RK-20)
  • Level 3 Ship Repair Modules go on Equus and is roughly equivalent to RK-12.5, but can repair other ships too
  • Level 4 Ship Repair Modules go on Privateers, is equivalent to RK-20 and can also repair other ships
- Motherships have 2 Ship Repair Module slots which can use either one of Level 5 or 6
  • Level 5 Ship Repair Modules go on Motherships, is equivalent to RK-30 and can only repair other ships
  • Level 6 Ship Repair Modules also go on MS, is equivalent to an RK-60 and can only repair other ships

So when you go out on a Society or Team hunt in friendly space, you just need someone with a Privateer or Equus, and you're all set. Or alternately, you could just make sure that everyone has a self-repairing module equipped to their ships.

When you go out for a Soc or Team hunt in lootable PVP space, it gets interesting. The Mothership with it's Gunner seats and it's ability to have a large crew to repair it, and 2 Ship Repair Modules to fix other ships becomes a highly valuable asset. Also Motherships have a ton of Cargo space which will most likely be quite handy once space mining starts.

It's important to note that Motherships can only be repaired by the crew on-board and cannot be repaired by another ships Repair Modules (Privateers, Equus or another Mothership).

Privateers should be able to go out and operate solo, be able to repair themselves as needed and be able to hunt or mine as they please. Motherships would be able to do this as well but also should be able to support a fleet of players who are mining and hunting in the vicinity.

A new Repair ship should be introduced which doesn't have any weapon slot but has an Area-of-Effect Repair Module which can be used to repair other ships in it's vicinity. An Equus or Privateer would still have a huge advantage over this new ship because they are also able to repair themselves with their modules and have weapons equipped, whereas this new Repair ship cannot, meaning that in a team hunt, you'd need at least 2 of them so that they can repair each other as they take damage in the hunting grounds.

All this is a ton of programming so better have a long-term view of the direction space will develop but I think the above should prove to be quite workable in the long run.

The idea is interesting but I think too automated. The big ships are all about the crew. Id like to put a twist on yur suggestion..

I do like the rk5ish or weaker for quads etc for more comfortable solo hunting.

as for the bigger ones I think since they only ship capable of utilizing quads etc are MS they could have a module just for them.. maybe rk20ish that repairs all quads/sleips inrange that are on guestlist. the quads could also have theyre rk5ish ones equipped making them viable maybe in large groups near MS against a hypothetical massive space boss. the quads being on guestlist would also spawn onboard MS shud they have the misfortune of dying.

This messes with the balance of ships though. As it is now priv and MS are very equal in different ways.. Priv are much more defensive imo than MS. Much more maneuverable and have only 2 repair points side by side makin repairs the simplest task and focusing repairs where needed almost instantly, but theyre not great offensively. Only 6 guns and no hanger for additional ships. MS on the other hand have hanger for unlimitied aditonal ships quads etc and much more guns 12 or 13 I forget lol making them quite the offensive battle machines. Defensively MS require massive repair crew due to the miles distance and multiple floors the repair points are on and are slower to maneuver. I think these thwo ships closely balanced eachother out in opposite areas.

My major concern is upgrading the quads/sleip more will rediculously raise MS offensive lvls as well.. Should the pirates get theyre hands on a MS theres gonna be issues :) We need to keep these things in mind when changing anything.

that's just my thoughts on it. I do like the rk5 idea at most for quads and possible a MS module to repair local guestlist only ships.

curious on yur opinion of that mista!! lol

As for unused ships, they should be given more to do. However, that is not an answer to a regular player wanting to hunt in space without it sucking. Most people can't afford those ships or don't want to invest that much into it. They just want to grab some relatively inexpensive gear and go hunt whenever they have time.

As for unused ships, they should be given more to do. However, that is not an answer to a regular player wanting to hunt in space without it sucking. Most people can't afford those ships or don't want to invest that much into it. They just want to grab some relatively inexpensive gear and go hunt whenever they have time.

I assume your referring to the people that currently don't spend any time in space yet? Should no consideration be givin to those that have for many years? All the time exploring, hunting with people, skillin with people, rescuing the helpless, stopping what yur doing even if yur currently at massive loss to warp someone quickly and efficiently to provide a good service. etc etc. All the people up here regularly know there is a delicate balance particularly with pvp and it need to be considered and continue being balanced.

That being said a slow repair module or something on quad/sleip I agree would be beneficial in that area to allow for space hunting a little better than it is now without having to return to SS constantly. But slow like hp regen slow or alil faster so its not going to overpower those vehicles or pirates for example. Any more than that would require a complete space vehicle rebalancing imo.

just one example.. giving quads auto repair ability will not only make them harder to kill but also more expensive due to more shots nessisary todo it. Then there comes a point where its just not possible with current guns and and all guns on quads sleips priv MS equus etc have to be boosted up.. increasing theyre costs per shot etc. Now we got dmg all thru the roof and rk-5-20 now just don't cut it anymore and they need to be tweaked or bigger ones created as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space is good atm , the camera is still hosed and needs work, and the camera sensitivities are a little wonky, but its even easier to hunt in space now for certain.

Then again, I am one of those players that did go hunt in a quad (no not some "elitist" UL quad (which has weight limit anyhow)...an (L) quad and it lasted 5 years making it to "Kind" status) all day taking no damage, because its possible if you bother to try it....now its Easy mode hunting in space.

I will repeat, you can hunt all day long in a (L) quad, no decay if you do it right.

If you want heavy space skills, go rent a large ship, they made an investment and should be viable too. When I had a pathfinder its very easy to solo hunt in some far off area, you get your gunner, and get tons of captain to boot. Now with zero risk at all. Sky flail is the mob for these runs. I will be renting if I want to skill captain...its just that good vs quad...and kind of should be for the cost.

If you want slow and steady and cheap space skills, try messing around on your own to find the answer instead of waiting for answers. :) Cosmics are the mob for this.

Last edited:
The idea is interesting but I think too automated. The big ships are all about the crew. Id like to put a twist on yur suggestion..

I do like the rk5ish or weaker for quads etc for more comfortable solo hunting.

as for the bigger ones I think since they only ship capable of utilizing quads etc are MS they could have a module just for them.. maybe rk20ish that repairs all quads/sleips inrange that are on guestlist. the quads could also have theyre rk5ish ones equipped making them viable maybe in large groups near MS against a hypothetical massive space boss. the quads being on guestlist would also spawn onboard MS shud they have the misfortune of dying.

This messes with the balance of ships though. As it is now priv and MS are very equal in different ways.. Priv are much more defensive imo than MS. Much more maneuverable and have only 2 repair points side by side makin repairs the simplest task and focusing repairs where needed almost instantly, but theyre not great offensively. Only 6 guns and no hanger for additional ships. MS on the other hand have hanger for unlimitied aditonal ships quads etc and much more guns 12 or 13 I forget lol making them quite the offensive battle machines. Defensively MS require massive repair crew due to the miles distance and multiple floors the repair points are on and are slower to maneuver. I think these thwo ships closely balanced eachother out in opposite areas.

My major concern is upgrading the quads/sleip more will rediculously raise MS offensive lvls as well.. Should the pirates get theyre hands on a MS theres gonna be issues :) We need to keep these things in mind when changing anything.

that's just my thoughts on it. I do like the rk5 idea at most for quads and possible a MS module to repair local guestlist only ships.

curious on yur opinion of that mista!! lol

I think the first question is: What does the future of Entropia space hunting/mining and PvP look like?

Does it look something like this (this video of a space battle in Star Trek Online is probably a very accurate depiction of what we all imagine a space battle should look like in a video game):

And here's what PvP looks like in EVE Online (1 vs 1 is more interesting, and this video is narrated to explain what is going on while it's happening):

Unfortunately, I don't think that MindArk is ever going to catch up with EVE as far as customization and depth is concerned. But there are a few trends and common themes between games at the macro level which MA needs to decide on.

1. Variety and Customization (to make more strategies possible in the game):

Strategy in space battles always comes down to a rock-paper-scissors proposition, i.e. a tactic based on the fleet composition in terms of Damage dealing ships, Repair or/and Support ships that makes you and your friendlies stronger and more effective, and Counter-measures which makes your enemies weaker and less effective against you (or EWar in EVE).

To achieve this level of depth and open up a myriad of possible strategies to the gaming experience, there are multiple classes of ships in EVE and 4 main races with each their own strengths and weaknesses, each one of which is customizable to varying degrees. The total number of ships to choose from in the game, is well, staggering... But the total number of custom modules that you can choose from to add to your ship is even bigger. All of this serves to create an almost infinite number of possible combinations and strategies and makes the gaming experience very unpredictable (adds depth).

We all know that Entropia spaceships are never going to reach that level of variety or complexity, I'm just offering this info as comparison and to illustrate how to make the gaming experience richer and offer players more possibilities in their strategy.

And so the question is: How many ships will there be and how much will it be possible to customize them?

2. How much Player-generated content (sandbox) will there be in Entropia space:

There's a lot of it in EVE Online. All of the space ships in EVE are built by the players themselves, there are even player-owned space stations. But what does the future space of Entropia look like? Will there ever be Blueprints to build larger ships in Entropia? Will there be player-owned structures, or "Land Areas" in space? What about player created Events in space? Those questions should have answers to them prior to further development of space.

3. The (trickle-down) Economics of Entropia Space:

What opportunities will there be in space for players. The main professions being Hunting, Mining and Crafting, these should be taken into consideration individually and there should be a clear vision as to how each profession will fit in to the future of space in Entropia. As a way of example, any new spaceships introduced in Entropia such as the one I suggested earlier (the Repair ship), should be crafted by the players using materials and resources obtained in space. Same would apply to any new ship modules/attachments introduced.

But don't forget about PvP! This is a very popular activity in space. How does the economy of PvP fit in to the big picture economy of Entropia? What are the consequences to the aggressor and what are they for the victim? It should be reasonable and it should also make sense. And if it can somehow be worked out that there will be fringe benefits to other players, that would be great for the entire community.

---

I don't know what else to say about that subject right now but I will say this, the development of space in Entropia has been oh so very slow, the steps forward have been baby ant steps... Entropia is a game with a lot more stakes so it's probably unfair to compare it to EVE or Star Trek Online. But if you ever want the space game play in Entropia to be on par with other MMOs currently available, more ships and more customization will be required, as a first and foremost priority.

Last edited:
I think the first question is: What does the future of Entropia space hunting/mining and PvP look like?

Does it look something like this (this video of a space battle in Star Trek Online is probably a very accurate depiction of what we all imagine a space battle should look like in a video game):

And here's what PvP looks like in EVE Online (1 vs 1 is more interesting, and this video is narrated to explain what is going on while it's happening):

Unfortunately, I don't think that MindArk is ever going to catch up with EVE as far as customization and depth is concerned. But there are a few trends and common themes between games at the macro level which MA needs to decide on.

1. Variety and Customization (to make more strategies possible in the game):

Strategy in space battles always comes down to a rock-paper-scissors proposition, i.e. a tactic based on the fleet composition in terms of Damage dealing ships, Repair or/and Support ships that makes you and your friendlies stronger and more effective, and Counter-measures which makes your enemies weaker and less effective against you (or EWar in EVE).

To achieve this level of depth and open up a myriad of possible strategies to the gaming experience, there are multiple classes of ships in EVE and 4 main races with each their own strengths and weaknesses, each one of which is customizable to varying degrees. The total number of ships to choose from in the game, is well, staggering... But the total number of custom modules that you can choose from to add to your ship is even bigger. All of this serves to create an almost infinite number of possible combinations and strategies and makes the gaming experience very unpredictable (adds depth).

We all know that Entropia spaceships are never going to reach that level of variety or complexity, I'm just offering this info as comparison and to illustrate how to make the gaming experience richer and offer players more possibilities in their strategy.

And so the question is: How many ships will there be and how much will it be possible to customize them?

2. How much Player-generated content (sandbox) will there be in Entropia space:

There's a lot of it in EVE Online. All of the space ships in EVE are built by the players themselves, there are even player-owned space stations. But what does the future space of Entropia look like? Will there ever be Blueprints to build larger ships in Entropia? Will there be player-owned structures, or "Land Areas" in space? What about player created Events in space? Those questions should have answers to them prior to further development of space.

3. The (trickle-down) Economics of Entropia Space:

What opportunities will there be in space for players. The main professions being Hunting, Mining and Crafting, these should be taken into consideration individually and there should be a clear vision as to how each profession will fit in to the future of space in Entropia. As a way of example, any new spaceships introduced in Entropia such as the one I suggested earlier (the Repair ship), should be crafted by the players using materials and resources obtained in space. Same would apply to any new ship modules/attachments introduced.

But don't forget about PvP! This is a very popular activity in space. How does the economy of PvP fit in to the big picture economy of Entropia? What are the consequences to the aggressor and what are they for the victim? It should be reasonable and it should also make sense. And if it can somehow be worked out that there will be fringe benefits to other players, that would be great for the entire community.

---

I don't know what else to say about that subject right now but I will say this, the development of space in Entropia has been oh so very slow, the steps forward have been baby ant steps... Entropia is a game with a lot more stakes so it's probably unfair to compare it to EVE or Star Trek Online. But if you ever want the space game play in Entropia to be on par with other MMOs currently available, more ships and more customization will be required, as a first and foremost priority.

the part im struggling with on this is the "need moar ship and customization". if your online right now theres at least 5 regular ships n crew online rdy todo something.. ANYTHING.. Im not seeing this huge demand for it this very second. I fail to understand how 30 more ships with funky attachments and painted up with purple polkadots gonna help any. Focus Id say right now shud be completing adding the more things in space todo. Maybe add that super hige space mob so that we suddenly would need a repairbot ship etc. As it is right now.. 0 use for it.

I think if theyre planning on big shared space mob and I hope they are, they do that next soon and pay close attn to how we struggle to adapt to this new situation to better understand what we might actually have a use for instead of speculating on speculations :)

the part im struggling with on this is the "need moar ship and customization". if your online right now theres at least 5 regular ships n crew online rdy todo something.. ANYTHING.. Im not seeing this huge demand for it this very second. I fail to understand how 30 more ships with funky attachments and painted up with purple polkadots gonna help any. Focus Id say right now shud be completing adding the more things in space todo. Maybe add that super hige space mob so that we suddenly would need a repairbot ship etc. As it is right now.. 0 use for it.

I think if theyre planning on big shared space mob and I hope they are, they do that next soon and pay close attn to how we struggle to adapt to this new situation to better understand what we might actually have a use for instead of speculating on speculations :)

Yes I totally agree with big shared mobs, they should add that asap

Customization of ships is still lacking. When MA fixed the speed exploit that pirates had been using for years, pirating all of sudden became much more difficult. But if Quads had more customization options, if you could add an afterburner or something to make it go a little faster, then maybe pirating would be more interesting again. But as it is, my Quad goes exactly the same speed as any other Quad and that's just unrealistic and boring.

Also, not having the ability to repair your ship in space, or repairing other ships in space, really sucks and is also unrealistic. Making ships more customizable also addresses this issue.

I understand the point about speculating on speculations but as it is, flying through space, for me anyways, just adds a cost in the form of time and/or money to mobility between planets and frankly, I could without that.

Hopefully, space in Entropia will be more than that in the future.

If I could customize a ship to get me to where I need to go in half the time it currently takes, I would seriously consider spending the money. And sometimes, I might want to customize my ship to be twice as safe... Hence customization.

Also, MA should add another panel to the Hall of Fame to record the size of loot that Pirates have won in space. In EVE it's called 'Kill mails' and this is a very popular aspect of the whole PvP culture, it's all about the Kill Mails.

Last edited:

Agreed - what people seem to forget when suddendly planning all these great new things - we do already have a very long development list with promises by mindark ->
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?282864-Space-State-of-the-Universe-an-overview-and-outlook-of-past-and-future&p=3463405#post3463405

The ships that were sold 8 years ago are still missing several of their sales features... so maybe lets do the things that were payed for and the things that were promised first :)

PS: And lets not forget the whole VSE profession so far has only 2 low end repairtools and nothing for the more advanced repairers - if someone were to create repairmodules , those have to take the full range of VSE profession into account and provide tools of a wide variety according to prof level (just like the healer profession has).

Last edited:
New shared boss in space:

Octobot
downloadfile.jpg

Reactions: Geo
I did a quick review of posts here and also the other thread about space. I didn't saw anyone mentioned how much sucks the current handling interface and how bad are the changes they made. So you all........ are ok with the current spaceship UI, handling and camera setup?
Personally I'm sure the people who made the changes are never been with a Quad into space in this game EVER.

I did a quick review of posts here and also the other thread about space. I didn't saw anyone mentioned how much sucks the current handling interface and how bad are the changes they made. So you all........ are ok with the current spaceship UI, handling and camera setup?
Personally I'm sure the people who made the changes are never been with a Quad into space in this game EVER.

I think this is because its not the biggest issue. Adjusted controls be kewl but doesnt matter compared to a lack of things to use them on.

I hate it :yup:

Back