I would prefer Merry Mayhem to be:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
I've enjoyed hearing from both camps on this issue, so I decided to make a fun poll out of it. I know FPC said they prefer to view Mayhem as a solo event, but they also admitted that locking out all teaming is extremely difficult.

So let's discuss (not argue) over the pros & cons of both ideas

Solo only
Pros: Best gear/skills wins
Cons: Others have almost zero chance to win

I ran the numbers. At level 69.9 profession, (top of category 3) to match the dmg/sec of an untiered mod merc+A204, I would need a HL18 +E-15 or a tier 3 HL15 +A106. And even then, my lower quality armor and fap will mean I'll die more, meaning they'll win.

Teams
Pros: Teamwork can boost results of lesser weapons
Cons: The bigger players can team up too

In an example of teamwork this year, Sententz beat Stryker in category 4. I'm not completely sure what gear Sententz had access too, or what teamwork Stryker had, but I'm willing to bet that teamwork played a huge factor in the final score.

My experiences as both solo and team hunter

The 1st Mayhem (2007) I hunted atrox as a solo hunter. Despite looting a huge ESI, I can sum up my experience of that event in three words.

I
Hated
It

The 2nd Mayhem, I played "businessman" buying loot and selling apis directly on the battlefields. It was a more enjoyable alternative to another 30 hours of competitive fast-speed grinding in a contest I knew I couldn't win.

The past 2, I participated on teams, helping someone else to win. My reaction?

I loved it! :shower:

Spending almost a full week on team voice chat with players I never participated with before and gaining new friends and learning new things were great. I completely understand why so many folks enjoy the WoF.

I can compete in solo hunting events all year long, but once or twice a year, it's a blast to join forces with new faces toward a common goal. I'm perfectly ok w/ a single "team leader" gaining the prize. They're putting the most into it, on all levels.

There was a time when I was in the camp saying MM should be a solo event, but I think I prefer it as a team event, primarily for this reason:

Solo only

If I participate in the future I will probably continue to go solo - I just don't have the time required to put together serious team effort at this time of year - but I think the team aspect makes it more interesting and competitive.

That's not to say that there are not improvements that could be made of course, but I think the general idea as it is now is just fine.

i would say "mostly" solo, but not completely, make rules in such a way that its not completely useful to have 10 support shooters, but on the other hand having 1-3 could be nice, so solo or small teams

Solo only but I'd argue that

Solo only

isn't the case in the lower categories. It's certainly true in the 4 and probably in 3 but looking at the top 10 scores cat's 1 and 2 were highly contested and as everyone will have similar skill levels. It's more true to say the best funded would win, which would would be true in a team event as well.

{removed}

I would rather have chosen both (split the event in two) but sins that is not an option I will take solo above team. You say that no one will stand a chance at winning against the biggest gear if its a solo event as a con well guess what those that cant afford to hire a team or has no soc to help damage down the mob stands no fucking chance as well trying to compete against a team (not talking about someone running to the TT for you or a fapper but players actually damaging the mob while still ensuring the main hunter get the points) but that aint part of the cons in the team part as your totally bias towards keeping this a team event looking at your previous post against making it a solo event and also including this post.

Edit: heck even your pros in the solo event is setup negative towards a solo event compared to your teams Pros and cons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it the way it is.

Solo just biggest tiered Foe will win I guess, now it's a matter of planning, organising, ... this is
for me the most fun part of the whole event. Searching best setup, how to increase efficiency and
all the experience helps for future events and Wof etc.

Anyway just hope all the whiners wont make a true Mayhem dissapear.

I voted solo, but I prefer to make reality based decisions. I really don't see how teaming or support can be eliminated.
I am fine with people working together to take the top prizes but I would like there to be reasonable chance for a dedicated solo player to finish in the prizes. And we have seen that happen in the lower categories.

I would really like to see people rewarded for solo effort. kill points based on proportional damage would be one way to achieve this.

Another option would be to register as team or as solo and have different prize pools. Of course there is still the issue of non team support to deal with.

Regards,
KikkiJikki

make it solo.

If it's team, make sure % of the points go to all team members equally, regardless of if there is an actual team or not... someone faps you, they get a % of your points even if they are not in your team.

the mob trains were a major issue based on what I've read... perhaps next year put each category in a dome on the astroid. Foma is still a part of Calypso after all.

the mob trains were a major issue based on what I've read... perhaps next year put each category in a dome on the astroid. Foma is still a part of Calypso after all.

Or bring back the old biodomes and use them for the event spawns. Just one thing, there will have to be a large amount of domes or the domes will need to be really large in order to support all the hunters for that category. A better solution would be fix the mob AI already but MA does not give a damn about that part.

Pioneer wants to do a Mayhem Post Mortem. I think that would be the place to discuss it.
As a point i miss an option.

Both as in:
Cat 1 solo
Cat 1 team
Cat 2 solo
Cat 2 team
Cat 3 solo
Cat 3 team
Cat 4 solo
Cat 4 team

And then may by only 5 prices for each categorie.
It is just an idea. And the place would be an open community wide discussion with Pioneer

Cheers
Siam

I love the results and hope MA will pick up on this and do the freaking coding already. Hope MA realizes that this will benefit all planet partners even if not all the planet partners knows this yet. If the planet partners have more options for creating events they will unconsciously think up more events if they know the possibilities. Unfortunately the other two planet partners has not hosted any events or given any gifts yet most likely due to them currently busy developing their planets further and not having time to focus on stuff like this atm.

Back