Info: Mindark takes over the operations of Planet Rocktropia

Not good.

MindArk needs to divest from all content creation and remain solely as the platform developer allowing third parties to create content.

They have a tiny team, no need to waste funds on asset and content creation when they could be investing those salaries into actual programmers who build out all the underlying platform systems.

I hope this is temporary and once UE5 comes out they sell off all planets, including Calypso. Focus on marketing and developing the actual Entropia Platform.

"This move will also simplify the ongoing graphical upgrade of all planets in Entropia Universe to the Unreal 5 Engine."

Means lots of RT content will be deleted? :scratch:

"the first thing I will do is throw a big party at Club NEVERDIE to celebrate!"

Bring back parties on CND! :beerchug::grouphug::banana::shots:

Given that NEVERDIE scammed me and many Entropians out of serious amounts of Ethereum (he sold if for $$$) does MindArk plan on giving us that money back? Or, is MA going to give us shares in RockTropia so that we may at least pretend to think that we will recoup our losses?

I dunno, there will likely be both good and bad. It's good and necessary to end a stalemate like that. Specific features will likely suffer, like a mission structure which some players were specifically going to, but is incompatible with Codex. What I would look forward to the most is seeing Rocktropia getting its four original squares back, if this is economically feasible for MA rather than an independent PP. It felt so crippled ever since.

Will it ever be independent again, is the plan to make it fit for a possible sale? Next Island is the example we already have, an own develpment team but no longer independent and whether there is a way forward to getting it on its own feet again seems not clear. We saw the disaster with Arkadia for other reasons. It all speaks against the original concept of planet partnerships. The struggles various development teams have with their "central authority" (for lack of a better term) are a strange thing to behold in the business world. I honestly don't know what will become of that.

Good luck...

Last edited:
All hail to the king baby!

Neverdie sold his planet and becoming a civilian once again!

I just want to thank Neverdie for his amazing exploration and wickedness in entropia! Your an inspiration of dare to win!

And your music and movies are just pure gold!

Cya in Entropia as a player in the near future!

Very interested to see how this "AI President" thing goes. I'm generally pessimistic towards Generative AI, mainly for its current track record. Seems more lazy than "cutting edge" to me, but I'll wait until I see it to pass any major judgement. I'm sure they're not just going to cut the AI loose on decisions with no dev input, but still wondering where the benefit of the AI comes in vs just having people do it in the first place.

I said long ago that planet partners will FAIL. And here it is. Basically only Cyrene remains as a real planet partner.

I'm pretty sure they will also get that over with and just do all planets themselves.

In reality. There are too many planets anyways. 3 would be enough.
I see it the same after 6 months in game. I think it will also be good move for MA to take abandoned ones. Ark, Rock and Toulan need refresh and be again after UE5 on the market for potential new guys who will know how to roll the ball.

So after a decade building knowledge of the inner working of MA as Planet Partner, he can just play again?
Maybe ask your AI what it think's about that.

Does an AI have morals (that it sticks to)?
AIs are an attempt at learning from human 'intelligence', are they not?
If an AI decides based on currentish morals, then I think I can guess the direction ...

Mining minerals on asteroids, goodbye pirate? will there be no pvp or what? new blueprints for quad equipment or new ships? Let's go ahead

https://news.cision.com/mindark-pe-...-by-new-entropia-universe-ai-preside,c3998274

Just opening this thread to open discussion :) I personally am thrilled to see what this means for that planet!

full article:

Mindark takes over the operations of Planet Rocktropia to be Run by New Entropia Universe AI President​

Mon, Jun 10, 2024 15:33 CET

Mindark PE AB, the Swedish developer of Entropia Universe, which launched in January 2003 and stands as one of the world's longest-running MMOs and the only MMO/metaverse featuring a real cash economy with in-game currency pegged to the USD, is pleased to announce the takeover of Planet Rocktropia, a pop culture-themed virtual world that has been live on the Entropia Universe platform since 2010. This change is part of Mindark's pioneering initiative to utilize an AI President to manage and operate its universe.

Founded by celebrity avatar Jon "NEVERDIE" Jacobs, Rocktropia is designed as a pop culture-themed portal into the Entropia Universe. Through a partnership with Universal Licensing and Partnerships, Rocktropia has hosted movie-inspired events and destinations, including "Hunt The Thing," which coincided with the 2011 remake and theatrical release of "The Thing," and an epic "King Kong" adventure. The planet also features iconic music destinations such as Lemmy's Castle, a medieval fortress guarded by demon spawn, designed by the late rock icon Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead and managed by his son, Paul Inder Kilmister.
The changed management of Rocktropia will give Mindark free reign to fully integrate powerful generative AI systems into the planet's backend, enhancing future development, optimizing game balance, and customizing the user experience to individual player preferences. This move will also simplify the ongoing graphical upgrade of all planets in Entropia Universe to the Unreal 5 Engine.

Jan Welter, founder of Entropia Universe, commented on the deal: "Fourteen years after its release, Rocktropia, the first independently developed and operated planet launched on the Entropia Universe platform, continues to have enormous potential as a primary pop culture destination in the evolution of the metaverse. It maintains a passionate and loyal user base. We are thrilled that recent advances in generative AI have provided the technology to enable the Entropia Universe to continue evolving into the metaverse the entire world hopes will emerge. With our takeover of Rocktropia and our integration of AI, we ensure that the planet will continue to be updated and upgraded with new systems and content, remaining an active destination in the unfolding history of the metaverse."

With Rocktropia's handoff to Mindark, Jon "NEVERDIE" Jacobs will terminate his status as an Entropia Universe Planet Partner and step down from his role as The President of Virtual Reality, a position he assumed in 2016 as a platform to champion real job creation in the metaverse amid potential worldwide job losses resulting from advances in AI.

Jon NEVERDIE Jacobs commented "With handing over Rocktropia to Mindark and the AI President, I will finally after over a decade of planet development be able to enjoy all the fun and opportunities Entropia Universe has to offer purely from the standpoint of a player again, the first thing I will do is throw a big party at Club NEVERDIE to celebrate!"

Following the takeover of Rocktopia, Mindark plans to introduce new possibilities later in the year that will enable spaceships to blast and mine asteroids to unlock new technologies

For more information, please contact:

marketing@mindark.com
Tel: 031 607 260
MindArk PE AB (publ)
Org. nr. 556640-4769
Masthamnsgatan 5
413 29 Gothenburg
www.mindark.com

About MindArk

MindArk PE AB (publ) (“the Company” or “MindArk”) develops and operates Entropia Universe, the world's first MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game) with a “Real-Cash-Economy”, and Entropia Platform. Entropia Universe is a virtual universe consisting of a number of planets with different themes and activities. The software is provided globally and free of charge with the possibility to spend money in the virtual universe for anyone with access to PC and the internet. Entropia Universe consists of a digital economy where resources, materials, land, and buildings are represented as digital assets with an underlying base value. Entropia Platform is the technology platform that powers Entropia Universe. The platform is shared with partners who develop their own unique game content for their planets in Entropia Universe.
This is what rocktropia really needed, a president for artificial intelligence.

so when should I go there? lol

MA did a good job with NI. Let's hope they can turn RT around too. Already made a few changes from what I hear like reduce tax on LA's.

Could go anytime I guess even though won't be many changes until a few VU's I imagine.

Mining minerals on asteroids, goodbye pirate?
More like Hello Pirates!

It should revert back to all PVP so that you can actually make use of the Mothership & Privateer crew and gunners.

Mothership and Privateer Blueprints would be awesome. It would be an expensive craft but would be akin to Resource Mayhem in collecting all the materials and components to make one!

I smell land deeds. lol

I hope MA does RT a great deal..Ok, so when should I go there? lol

this is 100% what will happen

neverdie probably wanted to do deed a long time ago but MA wouldn't let him (my guess)

MA will turn around and deed out large portions of the planet for more than they paid for it

if there are no new deeds issued for RT within the next 3 years I'll eat my hat

what most here dont seem to know is that there currently is no AI. the only thing we do have is LLM, large language models, that do nothing other than look at the last words and make a prediction of what the next word is gonna be due to probabilities. which means the "AI" has absolutely no concept of what it said, or why it said it. it has no concept on if it is wrong or right. it doesnt understand what it is saying itself. "AI" is currently very, very stupid and unreliable which makes it a fun gimmick but completely useless for any practical purposes.

what most here dont seem to know is that there currently is no AI. the only thing we do have is LLM, large language models, that do nothing other than look at the last words and make a prediction of what the next word is gonna be due to probabilities. which means the "AI" has absolutely no concept of what it said, or why it said it. it has no concept on if it is wrong or right. it doesnt understand what it is saying itself. "AI" is currently very, very stupid and unreliable which makes it a fun gimmick but completely useless for any practical purposes.
This is an extreme oversimplification and inaccurate picture of what LLMs are.

and how am i supposed to prove it right when you dont even manage to make counterarguments?
ill just do the same as you did and say that what you said is inaccurate.

but to top it, here is a quote about how tokenization works., which is how LLMs work:

• Tokens: Tokens are the basic units of input and output in a language model. In natural language processing tasks, tokens typically represent words, subwords, or characters. During training and inference, the LLM processes input text as a sequence of tokens, each representing a specific word or symbol in the input text. The model generates output by predicting the most likely token to follow a given sequence of input tokens.

which is pretty much exactly what i said. there is a reason why "AI" has absolutely no concept of itself being right or wrong or why it is right or wrong.

🤦‍♂️

Here's what the LLM had to say when copy pasting that oversimplifation and inaccurate picture:

Copilot:
You’ve brought up an interesting perspective on the current state of AI, specifically regarding Large Language Models (LLMs). It’s true that LLMs, like the one you’re interacting with now, operate by predicting the next word in a sequence based on probabilities derived from vast amounts of text data. This process does not involve human-like understanding or consciousness.

However, to say that AI is “very, very stupid and unreliable” might not give the full picture of its capabilities. While it’s accurate that LLMs don’t have understanding or awareness, they are designed to perform specific tasks, such as language translation, answering questions, and even creating content, with a level of proficiency that can be quite useful in practical applications.

For instance, AI can assist in drafting emails, generating code, providing educational support, and more. The technology is constantly evolving, and while it’s important to recognize its limitations, it’s also worth acknowledging the sophisticated engineering that enables AI to be a helpful tool in various domains.

It’s crucial to use AI responsibly, understanding its constraints and ensuring that its responses are checked for accuracy when necessary. The field of AI is advancing, and with each improvement, AI becomes more reliable and useful for an expanding range of applications.

Wow ok, was not expecting that one. But that outcome is probably better then what I had been anticipating.

I hope that RT will get some really interesting items that the players willwant to grind for. As I see it, all planets are getting things that players can go there to grind; NI/AG has upgradable Gorgon armor, upgradable armor plates and Titan, Ark has Shops you can grind tokens for and an upgradable armor plate, Cyrene has an armor upgrade chain and plates and pet chain... Hopefully RT gets something cool too.

Of course areas will get deeded, that was already the plan.

There is an issue with the Epic chain on RT, it was a great concept but too few have actually engaged that content, the proof of that is most here probably won't even know what chain I'm talking about. I think the issue is that the payoff at the end just doesn't seem worth the trouble/cost anymore, so I hope MA can revive that chain cause I think it's a great opportunity for player collaboration. Maybe change the payoff at the end from a chance to loot an UL piece of Firewall mk-III to a guaranteed mission reward at the NPC like in God Save the Queen. As I understand right now, most aren't bothering past the dome antidote cause the only cool thing left on that chain is the Dhampyre.

Anyway, really looking forward to what's to come for RT :)

Self-fulfilling prophecies can also be right, whilst also being inherantly wrong from a different angle.
ND had some great ideas that could have worked, but in an environment where they had little chance.
For me, that's the nutshell, but like the Tardis, there is so much more within that nutshell than outwardly appears...

and how am i supposed to prove it right when you dont even manage to make counterarguments?
ill just do the same as you did and say that what you said is inaccurate.

but to top it, here is a quote about how tokenization works., which is how LLMs work:

• Tokens: Tokens are the basic units of input and output in a language model. In natural language processing tasks, tokens typically represent words, subwords, or characters. During training and inference, the LLM processes input text as a sequence of tokens, each representing a specific word or symbol in the input text. The model generates output by predicting the most likely token to follow a given sequence of input tokens.

which is pretty much exactly what i said. there is a reason why "AI" has absolutely no concept of itself being right or wrong or why it is right or wrong.
I work with LLM's almost every day and I'm here to tell you, what you stated before is a gross oversimplification intended to convince the novice that AI is an immature and useless technology. It is not. There are millions of people in the US alone who would be laid off tomorrow with the current tech as it exists, if the tooling to integrate AI workflows into the business process were already completed by developers who are no doubt working on it already.

Don't give people false impressions. AI is already radically changing the world and the business landscape in less than a decade will be so altered that sweeping social reform will be necessary.

I work with LLM's almost every day and I'm here to tell you, what you stated before is a gross oversimplification intended to convince the novice that AI is an immature and useless technology. It is not. There are millions of people in the US alone who would be laid off tomorrow with the current tech as it exists, if the tooling to integrate AI workflows into the business process were already completed by developers who are no doubt working on it already.

Don't give people false impressions. AI is already radically changing the world and the business landscape in less than a decade will be so altered that sweeping social reform will be necessary.
so the hallucination problem has been solved?

also, its kinda unsurprising that you say its perfect and world changing when you are working with it because why would you devalue your own job?

Back