Mining Depths - Where to mine for beginners

CatSpur

Young
Society
TIG Academy
Cat meow Spur
I'm using the TT OreFinder without any Amps, yet the other day I hit a deposit of Lysterium with a depth of over 360 meters!!!! How can this be??

I wish I had took a screenie to post but didn't think to at the time! :/

AND...

As a noob to mining.. (I only do it to break the boredom BPC damper skilling)

Where is best to mine given that I only have basic tools?? I've been shown a few places that seem popular with ubers.. but i hit nothing, so I'm guessing it's all too deep?

When i do hit anything I always write down the coords of the find... do deposits re-appear in the same places, and if so, how long should I leave before going back to recheck my recorded coords?

Cheers! :)

PS... locations of lots of Lyst and Oil would be handy.. I don't mine to craft but if I am going to do it to combat crafting boredom i may aswell go for stuff I'm going to use.

around water is your best bet. When I was skillin the low levels I would find tons of lyst and oil. Run along rivers and the ocean coasts, you'll find em.

good luck:tower:

I'm using the TT OreFinder without any Amps, yet the other day I hit a deposit of Lysterium with a depth of over 360 meters!!!! How can this be??

I wish I had took a screenie to post but didn't think to at the time! :/

AND...

As a noob to mining.. (I only do it to break the boredom BPC damper skilling)

Where is best to mine given that I only have basic tools?? I've been shown a few places that seem popular with ubers.. but i hit nothing, so I'm guessing it's all too deep?

When i do hit anything I always write down the coords of the find... do deposits re-appear in the same places, and if so, how long should I leave before going back to recheck my recorded coords?

Cheers! :)

PS... locations of lots of Lyst and Oil would be handy.. I don't mine to craft but if I am going to do it to combat crafting boredom i may aswell go for stuff I'm going to use.

The Average search depth on your finder, is exactly that, I mean that its average, it can go higher, sometimes much higher than what it says. I have seen posts as to the range, but I dont remember where they are.

Most deposits to return,,,not necessarily in the same spot, but in the same general area. The rarer ores, for the most part are rare for a reason, I dont think they come back as near the same spot, but possibly still in the same general area, maybe just a wider area.

IMO, just because you didnt hit anything the last run, doesnt mean you wont the next. It could have just been mined out,,,or yes your skills arent good enough yet...or, and this is the way I think. Each time you drop a bomb or probe, a random number is generated,,,enhanced by your skills and or finder,,,if this number is too low you wont find anything,,,if its just a tad too low you might get a skill gain,,,if its high enough you will find a deposit,,,if its over the limit to find something, you might get a skill gain and a deposit. But thats just what I think.

Mining to supply yourself with materials to craft is a great idea IMHO. Most waterways have Lyst and Oil, from what I have experienced as well,,,Thats why I try mostly to stay away from them, as I dont need Lyst...LOL

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I will answer what I can, when I can.

PS... locations of lots of Lyst and Oil would be handy..

There used to be great oil fields on W from Treasure Island (Amethera). They were along the shore somewhere from 16800,21400 to 17300,25900 - pure oil fields with no other enmatters and quite close to a TP (especially if you have a TP chip). But don't expect to find any lyst there :)
About lyst fields - well, I'll let others to tell you :) as I usually try to avoid lyst.

actually now I come to think about it, lyst does seem to hang around near the water ways, oil I find all over the place so you are bound to find it sometime.
as for the amps, I say don't use them till much later on, it's more of a tool that if used correctly will benefit, if used not to it's advance will cost you heaps.
GL

Thanks Guys!! :yay: Very useful info! ... I've had a few more successes with mining... but i do have to watch those hotkeys!! I often drop a probe by accident when I was trying to grab my gun!!!

Though... it's those accidental drops that often are the most lucrative ;)

Maybe there's a connection here.. Going for the gun usually means a Mob is in the area... anyone else noticed a higher rate of hits mining near mobs?

Each time you drop a bomb or probe, a random number is generated,,,enhanced by your skills and or finder,,,if this number is too low you wont find anything,,,if its just a tad too low you might get a skill gain,,,if its high enough you will find a deposit,,,if its over the limit to find something, you might get a skill gain and a deposit. But thats just what I think.

This is exactly the way I see it too.... Though I prefer to kid myself that there really is a hefty lump of virutal goodies hiding under a virutal landscape.. it's so much more appealing than a simple RNG thats being particularly tight as it knows how unskilled I am.

If the RNG theory is right... should i put my dowsing rods away while I'm playing ;) .....Hmmmm theres a thougt for new Mind Essence skill. Lets all poke MA with a stick and see if they'll add it... This is the 'new age' afterall!!

if its just a tad too low you might get a skill gain

Interesting.....

Surely if this idea is correct... which it very well could be.... it would mean that you can mine more efficiently....

Bomb... Nothing 1ped down
Walk 200meters...
Bomb... Nothing 2ped down
Walk 200meters...
Bomb... Skill Gain!!
Don't move!!
Open inventory... get out your Uber AMP out and slap it on your OreFinder..
Bomb... Kaching!!!

I would love to see this tested... Not having an AMP myself makes this kinda tricky, and I also seem to get a skill gain with every bomb or probe I drop.. But i am guessing thats just because I'm still very low on skills!

If anyone wants to test this.. please post your findings!! :) TA!!!

but i do have to watch those hotkeys!! I often drop a probe by accident when I was trying to grab my gun!!!
You can use different "layout sets" for different activities. Sets are switched with F1-F9 keys by default, if I remember correctly. For example, I have 5 different sets:
F1 - for hunting with a rifle (i.e., weapon, healing tool, looting)
F2 - for hunting with a longblade
F3 - for hunting with another longblade
F4 - for mining (finder, auto-running, drilling, refining)
F5 - for having fun in PVP rings :D (healing tool, different weapons)
So if I want to kill some mob while mining, I have to switch layout set to F1 or F2, which have nothing to do with mining (and dropping bombs/probes by accident).

Back