My Account was hacked and MA's helpful response!!!

Status

mithradates

Young
I was tricked into downloading the Trojan HOFFINDER and a hacker obtained my password. When I found out, that my machine was infected I immediately transfered all of my assets (1500 peds) worth to my friend.

I logged off and cleaned up the mess. After cleaning out the trojan with the viral scanner and then changing my password. I tried to log in but could not, the Hacker had already possessed my body.

I immediately created a new avatar, went into EU and found the hacker in my avatar pleading with my friend to give him my stuff. After talking to my friend on the phone, we exposed the hacker for who he was. The hacker logged out. I logged back into my avatar and all seemed to be well.

A few days later, I took back all of my assets from my friend. A few days after that I logged in and found that everything I had was taken, including the clothes off my back. I tried filing a support case to MA about how I had lost over 1500 peds to online theft. Here is the reply that I got from MA after 4 days of waiting:

Thank you for reporting. We are very sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Computer intrusion is not a crime for MindArk to investigate or solve, it is a matter for federal authority. Therefore we must direct you to your local police if you want to take this case further.

I have lost everything and am now pedless. A year of trading and sweating and hunting has gone to naught.

so AFTER cleaning up the trojan etc, you STILL forgot to change your pw?
o m g.

also you believe a program called "hoffinder" actually works

lmao...

I changed it. Somehow the trojan was buried deeper than my viral scanner could pick up. And it must have detected the change.

I changed it. Somehow the trojan was buried deeper than my viral scanner could pick up. And it must have detected the change.

if i knew i was infected with a keylogger i would format, just to be on the safe side...

Been there.. i had the same situation occur.. except i lost over 3k ped.. the answer to ur problems is u gotta move on and learn.. police aint gonna work their asses off over 150 dollars in a virtual game. Sadly u just have to regroup and rally round ur friends ingame to help ya get over it.

If u indeed saw u were hacked u shud have acted more carefully. I had no warning. just a log in to a naked avatar..

A day after I heard this I decided to take out a large amount of PED as this could happen to any of us. Is it not possible to see where the hacked avatars belongings were transfered to? How can this be prevented? Can no investigations be done on how this was done by the hackers and warnings posted to prevent other uses from losing thier belongings too?

Local Police??? I would love to see thier faces when this is reported. Will they laugh at him? Will they put him in a straight jacket? This is a Job for the FBI.
Maybe the CIA can help by checking the logs. Depending where the hacker is call the KGB to make him at least give his clothes back.

Anyway I guess we are all at risk, have to remove the rest of my ped asap.

Just buy a f*king Gold card !!
and don't download something called hoffinder.exe

It is always sad to see this happen but let this be a lesson to everyone else-
BUY THE GOLD CARD!

I still think it would be awesome for Mindark to start tossing a few of these in the loot pool. (HINT HINT)

Just buy a f*king Gold card !!
and don't download something called hoffinder.exe

We need to broadcast that to everyone. Might save alot of time for international policing agencies. Dont tell the KGB though it will be fun watching them try.

Sorry ot hear about your loss it sickens me to think of how bad some people can be just to earn a quick buck.
:(

It is always sad to see this happen but let this be a lesson to everyone else-
BUY THE GOLD CARD!

I still think it would be awesome for Mindark to start tossing a few of these in the loot pool. (HINT HINT)

Hear Hear!
I would not be playing Entropia if I did not have a gold card.. bottom line I would have sold out years ago.

On a serious note. I don't know how a gold card works but if it prevents this type of thing from happening then it should be standard issue and be given to you the first time you deposit, like it or not, even if it has to be paid for.

Good idea in theory for a required card, but i think the vast majority of the people that come here are "oooh, free MMO". An introductory cost would kill the newb population off, and possibly really damage if not kill it for everyone else.

FUUUCK, that sucks so bad, you really should invest in the gold card :(

okay. how is this still being missed by people? how can the existance and purpose of the gold be a mystery to anyone more than 2 days into the game? it is on every ad screen, it is on the main universe page, it crops up in every single one of these 'omg! i am hacked' threads, etc. and why does anyone download these types of suspect programs?

I was tricked into downloading the Trojan HOFFINDER and a hacker obtained my password. When I found out, that my machine was infected I immediately transfered all of my assets (1500 peds) worth to my friend.

I logged off and cleaned up the mess. After cleaning out the trojan with the viral scanner and then changing my password. I tried to log in but could not, the Hacker had already possessed my body.

I immediately created a new avatar, went into EU and found the hacker in my avatar pleading with my friend to give him my stuff. After talking to my friend on the phone, we exposed the hacker for who he was. The hacker logged out. I logged back into my avatar and all seemed to be well.

A few days later, I took back all of my assets from my friend. A few days after that I logged in and found that everything I had was taken, including the clothes off my back. I tried filing a support case to MA about how I had lost over 1500 peds to online theft. Here is the reply that I got from MA after 4 days of waiting:

Thank you for reporting. We are very sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Computer intrusion is not a crime for MindArk to investigate or solve, it is a matter for federal authority. Therefore we must direct you to your local police if you want to take this case further.

I have lost everything and am now pedless. A year of trading and sweating and hunting has gone to naught.

I'm not being funny... but in your greed, you download third party software which promises a nice little hack to EU... and then you get bitten in the ass by it and complain to the people you just tried to rip off?

I truly feel sorry for people who fall foul of a hack, however in this case I'm not sure I can sympathise with you.

Shame Mithradates :(

but...

Echoing Ultimababe. You were trying to exploit the system, and another exploiter got you.

MA do now run an advertising campaign ingame for the Gold Card.

They have a prominent button on the home page of the website.

And as far as I am aware, they now have an automated message ingame that pops up alerting you to the Goldcard once your ped card reaches a certain value (1200 peds or something).

But there will always be people whom either try to hack the system, and/or are gullible enough to download dodgy stuff.

What do you expect MA to say to "Hi, I was trying to exploit your system, I have created multiple avatars, can I have my stuff back?"

Thats veryvery weird to see, again, nowaday, accounts hacked.
Thats not normal, and the most of the time, the owner is in fault, cause he did a bad thing.

-NEVER DOWNLOAD OR INSTALL A THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE WHO HAVE ANY RELATION WITH ENTROPIA UNIVERSE (only Mr Smith Software).

- ALWAYS READ THE EULA AND U WILL SEE WHAT SAY MINDARK ABOUT THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE.

- IF U HAVE MORE THAN 1000 PEDS ON UR ACCOUNT BUY A GOLD CARD. GOLDS CARDS WORK. THE GENERATE A 6 DIGITS NUMBER ALWAYS DIFFERENT AT ALL CONNECTION. THE NOOBS WHO SAY GOLD CARD DONT WORK ARE REALY NOOB AFTER ALL.

- NEVER TRUST ANY PLAYER IN THE FIRST MONTH(s) AFTER UR INITIAL LOGIN IN ENTROPIA UNIVERSE. TRY TO KNOW, TRY TO LEARN, MANAGE URSELF IN THIS ENVIRONNEMENT BEFORE MANAGING ANY VIRTUAL RELATION WITH AN ANOTHER AVATAR, CAUSE U NEED TO KNOW THIS IS A RCE UNIVERSE, AND MANY PLAYERS WILL HAVE NO PITY AND NO REGRETS TO HACK U, TO RIPOFF U, TO DRAIN U, IN THE ART RULES.

In game u have adds about gold card in the street. Here u have a great community who know what to do, in the correct way, to not be hacked.
Here u can make relations with well know players, u can find the knowledge u need to play correctely.

Ask ur friends to join Entropia Forum, the great community of Entropia Universe. As i can see, u on the forum since 2006. U must know what i said above. Sorry but if u was Hacked, its by ur and only fault.

Anyway, good luck for the future, but u need to know MA will not help u on this issue, and u will never recover the 1500 peds u lost.
Its hard but true, i just ask realy the things, without the MA commercial lub language.

Regards,

Hackers are scum.

Good answer by MA support.

Sry you got hacked, but like ultimababe said... You were trying to cheat all the rest of us by downloading that program in the first place. :(

Sad thread.

If you get a virus on a computer used for finantial important issues.

This is the proccedures to do:

Format all the disks
and load a free of risks backup disks images.

Many backup programs are cheap (even if you buy them) and will save you of many headaches.

In my case, it just takes a few moments more than a restart :D

Wtf lol, buy a goldcard and don't download IWIN.EXE and BESTLOOT4U.COM crap.

It may be harsh but you just learned some computer security and common sense the hard way.

Sry, your fault, MA can do nothing to prevent.. uhm.. naivity.

sorry about your loss.

can you create a new avatar and log in immediately now? i thought you had to wait for MA to verify your details so it would usualy take a day or two before you could log in.

This thread has run it's course, MA has answered, and nothing we can do about it here on EF.

I'm gonna lock this now, as the thread violates forum rule #25, which includes attempts to exploit weaknesses.

Rule # 25 said:
Any thread, post, signature or publicly viewable content that clearly violates the EntropiaUniverse EULA will be deleted, and may result in a temporary or permanent ban from the forum. This rule includes such things as the sale of avatars, the sale of PEDs or items for cash, attempts to exploit a weakness in the client software and/or EntropiaUniverse servers, or defamation of Mindark, its representatives and/or EntropiaUniverse.

:locked:

Status
Back