Hello,

I'm newbie player in EU and I will try be minner. I have 310PEDs

My skills:

Geology - 107
Surveying - 59
Prospecting - 197
Mining - 178
My questions:
1. What tools should I use? F-102? F-103?
2. 310PEDs is enought to start minning?
3. Ore or Enm? - on the Calypso

Thank you in advance for your answers.

1. Unlike hunting or crafting, in mining using unmaxed tools is fine.
However, initially your skills grow quite rapidly, so I wouldn't bother acquiring F-102 or F-103 unless you already have them - go with F-101 until about lvl 5 or so, then jump straight to F-105. As for limited finders - if you have to ask, you don't need them yet.

2. That's not much but people have managed to start with less.
Returns in mining are a bit skewed towards big multipliers, compared to hunting - although long-term tt/tt in unamped mining tends towards 93...95%, a typical 200 drop run will be more like 75...85% tt/tt. So your goal is to survive until the first HoF.

3. On Calypso, ore. Find your ignisium spots, ignisium can be mined with F-101.

Also, look into Little Big Mining Log - even if you decide not to use it, their maps have some useful information.

Thanks Haruto. I have one more question. Enm can be profitable on Calypso? Mining Enm is cheaper than ore , and I don't have much PEDs so that's why I ask.

generally speaking, enmatter has a lower markup than ores. Also, when you are just starting, you need to drop for both to avoid getting your skill gains skewed - ores and enmatter give different skills.

Thanks Haruto. I have one more question. Enm can be profitable on Calypso? Mining Enm is cheaper than ore , and I don't have much PEDs so that's why I ask.

You are thinking about mining all wrong. The cost of drop, has nothing to do with profitable runs.

The only way to profit in mining, is via markup. That is why Haruto suggested Ignisium, as it has high markup.

You will get the same % returns, irrelevant of planet and or type, eg ore, enmatter, treasure (ark). Same with underground, cnd, monria.....same tt returns (just need to drop a lot more bombs on these to get a decent % return).

The ONLY thing that should matter to a miner, is markup of what they get out of the ground!

It terms of turnover, enmatter is half the cost of ores, so your cycle of ped will be longer, as you can drop more times with enmatter. But you get half the amount in stuff out of the ground. Your return is directly proportional to your drop cost.

EVERYTHING ABOUT PE IS BASED ON MARKUP

Rgds

Ace

Okej, so can you say me where's spot ignisium spot?

Where the high markup resources are located is mostly not shared.
Many miners like me have spent massive amount of time to track down the best spots. (and I am still a noob at it)

One of the greatest things about mining in my opinion. Searching for stuff :).
But it takes a lot of time and peds.

But there are public info about spawns and where resources are located.
You can check this map and hover the mouse over the differant areas:

http://www.mininglog.com/maps.php

Look for the area with the highest percentage of Ignisium.

But you also have to take into concideration what depth you can handle with youre equipment.
Of course you can find Ignisum but the closer you come to the average depth for it the better result.

According to LBML on Ignisum:
Lowest recorded depth: 283 m
Average recorded depth: 663 m
Highest recorded depth: 1367 m

It is not enough to say "look for the highest markup resources".
It's more like "look for the highest markup resources you are likelly to find with youre finder and skills".

Depth matters when mining!
Avoid areas with only low depth resources if your finder cant reach it at its average depth.

I agree with dropping for both in general, especially when you are first starting out. You want both skills.

Some people say you should always single drop, but there are plenty of high MU em resources too, so I disagree.

The exception would be if you are targeting a particular ore and it happens to be in an area with a lot of oil or other low MU em.

Another argument, and this is just tinfoil hat stuff, is the fact that the loot pool rotates ores/em just like it does with mobs. One moment iron might be hot, a few hours later maybe solis. It's been my experience that if you only single drop you have the potential to limit your hit rate for that run, b/c maybe ore isn't hitting well during that time or for that area.

As markup is the main deal for miners and judging from your ped amount i'd advise you to start out with only ore or enmatter or switching both periodically. You will have hard time getting large enough stacks (depending on markup 30 to 100 ped +) to get higher markup on auction (taking into account the auction fee) otherwise. Dealing with traders although saving you the auction fee will generally make you lose out on lets say e.g. 2-5% markup especially for higher markup ores. You can always buy a small surveying chip if you make some profit and take it up later on as a single chip will probably allow you to use adecent finder already.

I would also like to stress that long term profit or loss can lay in those few %'s of markup. Ive always aimed for around 118% average markup as this will keep you afloat at around 85% returns which in my opinion is rather high if you are on a no global/hof streak which you might not be able to bridge with 300 peds. It is not hard to see from currect ore prices that those few % of markup will make the difference as getting 118% average is hard if not impossible in all but a few locations. Not to mention that after a few bad runs your total ped will be down making it harder to recover the absolute value of losses in markup generated due to your available peds being down. Anyway i'd advise you to keep track of your average markup and average return and see if those balance to over 100% (e.g. 85% return * 118% markup =100.3% total return or 111% markup to break even if you believe in the 90% return assumption). If they do, mine that spot everyday, or every few hours :p.

Another quick calculation to make a point, if you run at 1.11% markup with 85% you will lose 17 ped every time you cycle 300 ped which could be daily, which will leave you pretty much broke after 2 to 3 weeks without hofs.

Back