Next level sweating ideas

jwestonmoss

Alpha
Francis Merlinfire Sureshot
I know various ideas have been put forth on this. Here's mine.

VSE MK2: Requires lvl 10 Sweating profession. Has a small random chance to pull Rare Vibrant Sweat, which is used in a new BP called Sweat Energy Cells.

Sweat Energy Cells Bp: 100x Vibrant Sweat, 3x Rare Vibrant Sweat, 5x Force Nexus

VS "Sweater's Revenge" MK 1 (L): 1.1 dps. Applies debuff to target "reduces hp regen by 100%" for 5 seconds on hit. Uses Sweat Energy Cells as ammo. Ammo burn should be tuned for balance. Intended use: give sweat another use, as well as something fun to use to kill sweat-dry mobs in sweat circles so everyone can participate.

Sweater's Revenge is a rank 1 weapon BP that could either be added to technicians or be a random drop from crafting. Should be cheap enough to be affordable, probably in the range of what a Jester 1 costs. Durability should be adequate to be worth it.

Thoughts? Possible tweaks to this formula?

Last edited:
sweat is a cost for depositing players, not for MA
the less it is involved in the game, the better.

I like ideas being put forward, so thumbs up!
One of the problems with mats that are used in many bps is that one very worthwhile bp may result in a higher mu for the mat that in turn makes other bps economically untenable.
However, I've also stated somewhere that I'd like to see sweat at something like 5 peds/k. Half usually gets returned in the near successes because it has almost no tt, so is usually refunded in the nears. That price would still be a problem compared to now, however, on much of the small stuff it is now used in.
It may be messy to try and force a higher sweat value (which players pay, yes, not MA), so I believe something new or less used needs to be lifted higher. It could indeed be a super-sweat in a similar setup to squishing pets at stables for essences and the rare essence. On reflection I think it's a better approach to have a Rare Vibrant Sweat, yes, that will command the increased value (from players) I'd like to see.

So a partial thumbs up for the idea itself too! :)

The only purpose of sweating is so the game can technically be called "free". Even if newcomers quickly realize that it's not a viable way to play if you have a life, there is a good chance that some of them stay and become depositors. So these free activities need to exists for the marketing purpose but they need to be a pain in the ass for people to not actually stick to them. Any attempt to make the free gameplay more elaborate and fun works against that so can't see it happen.

In fact, it's apparently way too engaging already, as some people do it for years and build a game within a game around it, with events, societies, hierarchies, unions and all kind of drama. It uses game's resources but doesn't contribute anything back. No, sweat is not a contribution as its use is completely artificial and it can be replaced with looted materials for benefit of hunters.

I personally don't have anything against free players as long as they don't have demands or complains.

Hard Pass.

No offense, but sweat profession should have 0 development

Edit: or you should stop gaining skills past every 5 levels increase - unless you deposit 1000ped.

Sweating among other free activities are the reason this game is called free to play.
From a developer standpoint the purpose of sweating is for you to get accommodated with the game at 0 cost, to absorb infinite information, to take part the the core ingame professions hunting/crafting/mining.Next obvious step is to deposit.
If within a reasonable amount of time you don't advance from sweating to one of the professions then something is wrong and you should find what.
Any development in sweating will automatically means less deposits and thats a no go.

The only avatars that actually make PED from sweat are sweatbots and resellers, so be careful what you wish for.

When I agree with MA's implementations more than I agree with a lot of the forum posters, it's surely time for a bit of a dive into what we're swimming in! :eek:
People who leave the game ..... have left.
People who sweat .... are still around and may still be turned into depositors.

Let's not forget that most profs have lossy beginnings due to poor skills. Back in the day when I was sweating, EU didn't have harvesting and pets/taming spent a long time in exile when we all had a good "Cry" over this that and the other. Crafting was mostly filters, as EP1 wasn't around.

Incidentally, the mu on residues (paid by players, remember!), was high enough back then to enable survival even for low efficiency non-maxed crafting, but progress was slow. However, it was still non-depo progress that saw main prof skills slowly grow too.

Nowadays there are several "profs" that allow turnovers, not even COSTS, of just 10 peds an hour, or so. Low-level taming, tt-tool harvesting and EP1 are at around that speed, so a F2P sweater can indeed spend half the time sweating for a ped an hour and half the time losing a ped an hour on lowest 'genuine?' activity.

MA is clever enough to not pay tt to all these players. Either the player base as a whole pays for this leakage via mu, or planet partners subsidise players on their planets with dailies, but I believe this to be ok and necessary.

I think we have to be able to pay for the platform AND a decent element of F2P in order for EU to keep rolling as a genuine RCE. Also, F2P ends up as revenue for MA too, so it's a bit like paying other people a bit to pay a bit to keep the lights on.

This is why I think people thinking about what can be done is good, and I'm willing to discuss :)

Edit: as for sweat bots and resellers, mob botters are a real nuisance actively, while sweat circle bots make sweating easier even (due to players being attacked less). Resellers ... there's a function for the right type of reseller, as back in the day @boxes, but it's about margins and fairness I guess. Oh, yes, I'm against all types of botting, though, just to be clear...

Sweating among other free activities are the reason this game is called free to play.
From a developer standpoint the purpose of sweating is for you to get accommodated with the game at 0 cost, to absorb infinite information, to take part the the core ingame professions hunting/crafting/mining.Next obvious step is to deposit.
If within a reasonable amount of time you don't advance from sweating to one of the professions then something is wrong and you should find what.
Any development in sweating will automatically means less deposits and thats a no go.
the game is a total package deal. i get your argument about dev time being zero-sum, that's true. but in a lot of ways there is a foundation on which value is built, and that's community, both the size and the enthusiasm of it. more players is better for everyone. making the low end easier i think would ease beginners into it a little more smoothly.

especially since at least some of the things i mentioned involve TT costs to fully utilize the new systems.

Sweating is what it is, a lowly paid activity that requires time and not something most want to do. :)

Only thing i would change is to return to a system like old one that was hard to afk. Make the circles more sociable as in past, when needed a 2 stage process to sweat. Maybe is just fond memories though and better as it is "sweatflix" :D .

I can remember when sweating was actually done with your mind, not a tool. And it is still a mindforce skill even now. I have always thought since they brought the tool for sweating into the game that we should be able to craft higher lvl sweat tools that have a longer range.

sweat is a cost for depositing players, not for MA
the less it is involved in the game, the better.

?

Virtually everything is a cost for depositing players. If someone doesn't want to sweat, they wont sweat. I don't really see a problem with it when we consider everyone is paying markup for everything.

Back