Question: Noob miner asking for help

sry911

Guardian
Hello fellow players.
I decided to try mining(have dropped few probes but nothing serious) for real.
I have 500Ped available to use for mining, and have like no mining skills.

So my question is what equipment I should use?
I have
FInders: rokieterramaster, finder f101
Excavators: Genesis Star Earth Excavator ME/01

Next question is---> You mentioned that i should avoid lysterium, so I should simple open http://mininglog.com/maps.php and chose squares that have lowest amount of Lysterium but highest MU values?

How about http://www.entropialife.com/MineralArea.aspx
I can choose which materials have the highest mu and try mining in the areas that have most of that material?
Or these areas will be overmined?

Should I tier my finder F101 because it sounds that I will be using it quite long?

Last edited:
Use the f-101 until you max the f-105, then use that finder. My recommendation is to not use amps period.. and mine strictly for either ores or enmatters, if you mine for both you will struggle to produce stack sizes with that bankroll. Get yourself an re-101 extractor from the auction and use that for quite some time.. it's slow but eco, which is important to make your small bankroll last.

Try to to unamped runs of 150 ped in probes and see how you do. Unamped mining you can typically break even mining just for ores, provided you avoid lysterium as much as possible.

In the current state of mining my real recommendation is to just wait. There is an awful lot of overmining going on right now, and an oversupply of resources because of it. Went from 75-80 pages on auction to 110+. These conditions mark a new low for ore markups as of late.

Another note: 500 ped is a relatively small bankroll to get started in mining. Before the reintroduction of the "old" mining system, even 400 peds was decent enough to get a good start. The highly-volatile conditions we are mining in now pose challenge with such a small amount of ped. This is of course assuming you don't get a lucky hof to get the ball rolling. If depositing another 500 ped or so is not an option for you then just stick with that and pay attention to hit rate. If it's too low change locations, if it's bad everywhere just stop for a while.

Hope all of this helps!

Use the f-101 until you max the f-105, then use that finder. My recommendation is to not use amps period.. and mine strictly for either ores or enmatters, if you mine for both you will struggle to produce stack sizes with that bankroll. Get yourself an re-101 extractor from the auction and use that for quite some time.. it's slow but eco, which is important to make your small bankroll last.

Try to to unamped runs of 150 ped in probes and see how you do. Unamped mining you can typically break even mining just for ores, provided you avoid lysterium as much as possible.

In the current state of mining my real recommendation is to just wait. There is an awful lot of overmining going on right now, and an oversupply of resources because of it. Went from 75-80 pages on auction to 110+. These conditions mark a new low for ore markups as of late.

Another note: 500 ped is a relatively small bankroll to get started in mining. Before the reintroduction of the "old" mining system, even 400 peds was decent enough to get a good start. The highly-volatile conditions we are mining in now pose challenge with such a small amount of ped. This is of course assuming you don't get a lucky hof to get the ball rolling. If depositing another 500 ped or so is not an option for you then just stick with that and pay attention to hit rate. If it's too low change locations, if it's bad everywhere just stop for a while.

Hope all of this helps!

Thx alot for answer!

Next question is---> You mentioned that i should avoid lysterium, so I should simple open http://mininglog.com/maps.php and chose squares that have lowest amount of Lysterium but highest MU values?

Thx alot for answer!

Remember that:
a) LBML data come from many miners using different depth finders, and
b) except Arkadia planetside servers, mineral distribution within a server square is not even. One corner may have entirely different stuff than the opposite corner.

Perhaps it's the best to have a spreadsheet with approximate market prices and calculate average MU right after you've finished a run.

As for "avoiding lysterium", there was a time last year when lyst was at 115% but cumbriz, zinc and iron were all at 105%. Now lyst is below 105% and iron around 115%, so one needs to follow the market and adapt to the change.

Remember that:
a) LBML data come from many miners using different depth finders, and
b) except Arkadia planetside servers, mineral distribution within a server square is not even. One corner may have entirely different stuff than the opposite corner.

Perhaps it's the best to have a spreadsheet with approximate market prices and calculate average MU right after you've finished a run.

As for "avoiding lysterium", there was a time last year when lyst was at 115% but cumbriz, zinc and iron were all at 105%. Now lyst is below 105% and iron around 115%, so one needs to follow the market and adapt to the change.

I can choose which materials have the highest mu and try mining in the areas that have most of that material?

Last edited:

I checked a few minerals on that map. Not sure where it gets data from but it's very far from complete and in some cases outright wrong (even suggesting underwater mining which to my knowledge hasn't been introduced yet). Well, you can probably get some clues from it but no, it's not a silver bullet.

Logging and analyzing your own data is much more useful.

I won't comment on the subject of "overmining".

I checked a few minerals on that map. Not sure where it gets data from but it's very far from complete and in some cases outright wrong (even suggesting underwater mining which to my knowledge hasn't been introduced yet). Well, you can probably get some clues from it but no, it's not a silver bullet.

Logging and analyzing your own data is much more useful.

I won't comment on the subject of "overmining".

Thx a lot for your time and your answers :)

I would experiment with areas personally.. Then mark (on a spreadsheet/map/etc..) what resources you find there. As a beginning miner the key really is to discover areas that produce well for you and areas that produce good markup resources. Keeping track of this also allows you to take advantage of mu spikes in certain resources, because you have you maps/logs so you know where to find the ore. If you want to avoid lysterium/zinc my advice to you is to avoid the "grey" quadrant of amathera (OLA 1,2,6....)

You can mine strictly for ores all around Oshiri in the northeast part of amathera all day and find some decent stuff.

Half of the fun is getting out there and exploring new areas and making your own resource maps.

To address the "overmining" issue... I believe it's entirely non-existent. Every drop goes through a series of calculations such as hit/miss, resource type, size, amp multiplier, hof/global roll multiplier. With that being sad I would consider it highly unwise to mine the exact same spot as someone else simultaneously or minutes apart. I've mined behind soc members and hit resources in places they got nrf, with the same finder. Purely speculation I suppose though.

I would experiment with areas personally.. Then mark (on a spreadsheet/map/etc..) what resources you find there. As a beginning miner the key really is to discover areas that produce well for you and areas that produce good markup resources. Keeping track of this also allows you to take advantage of mu spikes in certain resources, because you have you maps/logs so you know where to find the ore. If you want to avoid lysterium/zinc my advice to you is to avoid the "grey" quadrant of amathera (OLA 1,2,6....)

You can mine strictly for ores all around Oshiri in the northeast part of amathera all day and find some decent stuff.

Half of the fun is getting out there and exploring new areas and making your own resource maps.

To address the "overmining" issue... I believe it's entirely non-existent. Every drop goes through a series of calculations such as hit/miss, resource type, size, amp multiplier, hof/global roll multiplier. With that being sad I would consider it highly unwise to mine the exact same spot as someone else simultaneously or minutes apart. I've mined behind soc members and hit resources in places they got nrf, with the same finder. Purely speculation I suppose though.

I will try Oshiri place tomorow, after I will be done with MU spreedsheet.
What about the mobs there?

I will try Oshiri place tomorow, after I will be done with MU spreedsheet.
What about the mobs there?

Don't go northeast of oshiri.. Tezlapods will mess you up. But just try to keep all mobs outside of the inner circle of your radar as a good guage

Don't go northeast of oshiri.. Tezlapods will mess you up. But just try to keep all mobs outside of the inner circle of your radar as a good guage

Ok.Should I try to mine at OLAs or should try to avoid them?

Ok.Should I try to mine at OLAs or should try to avoid them?

You'll hear mixed opinions on this... but I haven't found that taxes make any sort of impact in TT returns. In the past two years I'm still hovering within 1% of the supposed 90% return.

Should I tier my finder F101 because it sounds that I will be using it quite long?

Since you mention mininglog.com in your OP, I presume that you know about LBML? I have two points to add. First, don't mine without using LBML. It will make your mining much more efficient. Secondly, move to Arkadia to mine. There are far more mob free areas to work in than there are on Calypso where there is hardly anywhere that is totally mob free.

Since you mention mininglog.com in your OP, I presume that you know about LBML? I have two points to add. First, don't mine without using LBML. It will make your mining much more efficient. Secondly, move to Arkadia to mine. There are far more mob free areas to work in than there are on Calypso where there is hardly anywhere that is totally mob free.

By LBML you mean mining program that tracks your findings? and show map?

By LBML you mean mining program that tracks your findings? and show map?

Yes.Little Big Mining Log. it allows you to place your probe drops accurately to avoid overlapping search circles, and also to map your claims so that you can create your own resource map. also, the maps on the mininglog.com site are more accurate than any other because they are continually updated by people auto submitting claim data as they use LBML.

Don't waste your peds tiering the f101... I would be hard pressed to even tier an f105, but if you get your hands on an f106 then tier that baby up.

You'll hear mixed opinions on this... but I haven't found that taxes make any sort of impact in TT returns. In the past two years I'm still hovering within 1% of the supposed 90% return.

Tried first run at oshiri.
Drop rate was 27.3%(is it low or high?)
TT return:66.7%

Been looking for new places.sometimes i was going in straight line and like for 10 drops all NRF

Tried first run at oshiri.
Drop rate was 27.3%(is it low or high?)
TT return:66.7%

Been looking for new places.sometimes i was going in straight line and like for 10 drops all NRF

If you get 3 or 4 nrf in a straight line, drop a probe off to the side of the line. You'll often get a hit that way especially if you've had a mining or prospecting skill gain with one of the nrf's. Both claims and nrf's tend to come in lines and clusters in my experience.

a 27% hr is about average. Worse hr than that, and you're in trouble, better, and you're in profit (probably) :)

No one can or probably will tell you exactly where to mine , this is part of what makes a miner, its part of his skillset.

YOU have to go out spend the peds and find your own spots.

Back in the day before vehicles I used to spend days/weeks hunting down and finding good spots.

No one can or probably will tell you exactly where to mine , this is part of what makes a miner, its part of his skillset.

YOU have to go out spend the peds and find your own spots.

Back in the day before vehicles I used to spend days/weeks hunting down and finding good spots.
What you call a spot? if you find one good there or many in one space?

I used to find certain single spots and also areas kilometres in size.
its your job as a miner to locate these . :)

Instead of the F-101, I recommend skilling up the Z5-Z20 chain of finders, using the one which gives you most depth. The reason is you want to avoid those finders which have less than 55m search radius. Also, use LBML and don't overlap your drops. If it's solid it means you already searched there. Mine for the best MU you can at your depth, experiment by hitting many areas. With only 500 ped reserve you'll be limited, so stick to one area at a time that doesn't give you too many different resources to stack. Sell your loot on auction in quantities over 40 ped (the higher the better).

Back