oceanic 2.0 : mapping software for mining & hunting

humanwoman

Old Alpha
oceanic 2 : mapping software for mining & hunting

oceanic 2.1 including two extensions: galaxy guide and data importer, has been released.

If something is not working or you think you found a bug or you have a question, please send me a PM or post it here.

To avoid posting on multiple forums we created a web site where you can find all Oceanic data files, documentation and F.A.Q. that will be updated as the need arises.

oceanic 2 web site link

oceanic download link

some of the oceanic screenshots:

oceanic package includes galaxy guide - an illustrated encyclopedia of EU inhabitants, various guides and planetary chronicles.
The galaxy guide and oceanic are linked together, those creatures that have a relevant guide article about them, have a special link in the oceanic info window that opens the article in the guide:

To facilitate importing of mining data oceanic provides a data convertion tool, oceanic importer, that currently allows data import from Little Big Mining Log files:

For detailed info, questions and feedback please visit:
Oceanic subforum on Arkadia

Last edited:
The link to the website isnt working - could you check adress pls?

This is a great software - except it needs to be more user-friendly - ie make it easy to add/edit/remove points and areas without copy/paste and manual XML editing. :confused::confused:

Does someone have updated Eudoria and Amethera files with all revival points / TPs / Rez zones / Creature Locations/Bestiary please? ;)

Thanks.

PS: Crysis engine and all - its about time EU client upgrades to flash/scaleform maps with unlimited zooms and personal notes.

This is a great software - except it needs to be more user-friendly - ie make it easy to add/edit/remove points and areas without copy/paste and manual XML editing.

Yes, it does, and hopefully it will.

The first version didn't have any editor at all, now it has a simple one that is not obviously perfect and will be improved with time, so it's getting better.

It's a complicated development though, it takes hundreds hours of time and tons of effort, and it's not sponsored in any way, so patience is the virtue :)

Please make it so it can IMPORT directly the .CSV (excel) files exported from Entropedia.info - that way we can import all mobs, mining locs, POIs, teleporters. rez zones, etc.

Entropia Locations (similar mapping tool - but always a tad buggy) is something to look at for "more" options and ease of use -it can also import/export excel files - however it cannot import Entropedia files directly.

Keep up the good work!

Please make it so it can IMPORT directly the .CSV (excel) files exported from Entropedia.info - that way we can import all mobs, mining locs, POIs, teleporters. rez zones, etc.

Entropia Locations (similar mapping tool - but always a tad buggy) is something to look at for "more" options and ease of use -it can also import/export excel files - however it cannot import Entropedia files directly.

Keep up the good work!

I totally understand and embrace your desire to see all EU planetary data in oceanic and I wish it was that easy and not so time consuming.

But the truth is that building data for oceanic is a community project, we only provide the tool, hoping that people will be interested in using and supporting it.

There is a quite lot of interest in this tool among small but quite united Arkadia community, and therefore there is active development of some tool features, data entering and converters development driven by the feedback and in a couple of months oceanic will host pretty up-to-date interactive version of Arkadia.

Plus there are some plans to add encyclopedia-like features to the tool, so it's gonna be pretty interesting.

That's now the priority in the tool development.

Mining conversion tools will be universal for EU, but entering or converting geographical data for Calypso is a huge task and is a team effort, not ours. "Can you guys just convert all the data for us so we could just download" will not really work, no offense meant, I hope you understand.

Calypso community (if it even exists per se) is desparate and scattered across PFC, EF, EP and hell knows what else and I don't see any interest in our tool from this community.

All Calypso data that exists was built by our effort, no one ever helped or contributed and that is a dead end.

If you want to contribute and have skills, please do so, contact us if you need a technical advice or any detail oceanic tech info.

Last edited:
Mining conversion tools will be universal for EU, but entering or converting geographical data for Calypso is a huge task and is a team effort, not ours. "Can you guys just convert all the data for us so we could just download" will not really work, no offense meant, I hope you understand.

Calypso community (if it even exists per se) is desparate and scattered across PFC, EF, EP and hell knows what else and I don't see any interest in our tool from this community.

All Calypso data that exists was built by our effort, no one ever helped or contributed and that is a dead end.

If you want to contribute and have skills, please do so, contact us if you need a technical advice or any detail oceanic tech info.

I am not asking for you to do all the work - on the contrary, I am merely asking for your tool to PARSE already painstakenly-compiled data by the players over many many years!

Surely, asking for the ability to PARSE an already compiled and freely available resource is not a crazy request - in fact, it alleviates all burden from you to provide ANY data yourself - by letting people import in all their required data directly from Entropedia.info instead.

In fact, by allowing people to import the Entropedia files - you automagically enable the "encyclopedic" features you wish to add later on! Why do all the work - when all the work has been done for you already - and freely available?!

*shrug* Your call. It was just a suggestion.

I am not asking for you to do all the work - on the contrary, I am merely asking for your tool to PARSE already painstakenly-compiled data by the players over many many years!

Surely, asking for the ability to PARSE an already compiled and freely available resource is not a crazy request - in fact, it alleviates all burden from you to provide ANY data yourself - by letting people import in all their required data directly from Entropedia.info instead.

In fact, by allowing people to import the Entropedia files - you automagically enable the "encyclopedic" features you wish to add later on! Why do all the work - when all the work has been done for you already - and freely available?!

Totally agree.

*shrug* Your call.

It's a community call, not the developers.

Both Entropedia and oceanic formats are open and documented, writing a converter is a separate job and has nothing to do with oceanic per se.

As I already said, anyone who has the skills, desire and a few months of life to sacrifice on that, is welcome to do the job. We will all appreciated it. There is potentially more than enough people who could help.

We do not have resources to do this for all existing Calypso data, even for one database, not to mention all of them. And we hardly will in the nearest future.

You like the tool, want and can help?
You are welcome, just go and start helping, what's stopping you?

You like the tool, want but can not help?
Write an open letter to community, ask your neighbor, find someone who wants and will help.

This tool is distributed for free for the community, why don't we all help ourselves, if we want it strong enough?

Last edited:
Sadly, I am not the programming type. It flies over my head. I am only good with concepts and design - more creative side - thus the ideas.

Atleast I tried to make a difference.

Good luck with the project.

DATA CONVERTERS:

Little Big Mining Log

the first version of "oceanic importer" has been released for download as a part of oceanic 2.1, please use the download link from the first post.

read this post for more details

Last edited:
oceanic 2.1 including two extensions: galaxy guide and data importer, has been released.

Please see the first post for download link and details.

If something is not working or you think you found a bug or you have a question, please send me a PM or post it here.

To avoid posting on multiple forums we created a web site where you can find all Oceanic data files, documentation and F.A.Q. that will be updated as the need arises.

oceanic 2 web site link

oceanic download link

some of the oceanic screenshots:

oceanic package includes galaxy guide - an illustrated encyclopedia of EU inhabitants, various guides and planetary chronicles.
The galaxy guide and oceanic are linked together, those creatures that have a relevant guide article about them, have a special link in the oceanic info window that opens the article in the guide:

To facilitate importing of mining data oceanic provides a data convertion tool, oceanic importer, that currently allows data import from Little Big Mining Log files:

A more detailed thread about oceanic

Absolutely beautiful! Keep up the good work... *hint hint* ;)

just keeps on loading:banghead::scratch::dunno:

now that i can use it i ithink it looks great especially the galaxy guide :yay::drool::shower:

found spelling misstake it said "stub" instead of "stab"

i really need some help here, i did the update and it does not show the maps, so i tried to overwrite the one i did have and i get error codes.{off the old map}

should i just delete everything and use the update by itself? or redownload everything and start over?

i seem to have gotten confused somewhere down the line.

Oceanic%252520Update.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9ThyzFx8mrPWDCZqFMjiKNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

and yep i did overwrite ALL other Existing just now and get this still

Last edited:
It looks like you have lost maps after update or maybe the folder structure is not correct.

Just delete everything and re-download the main package again.

Make sure that you keep the folder structure, after unzipping it should look like this, all map JPEG files should be inside "maps" folder:

By "overwriting the files" I mean that the update should add files on top of existing ones, keeping old files that are not present in the update intact. That's a normal way unzip behaves, should happen automatically, still sometimes people delete original files and leave only those in the update.

Also, if you want to start oceanic from the desktop, do NOT drag it from the explorer window to the desktop, that will copy "oceanic.exe" by itself into the desktop folder and oceanic will not work without its data files.

Instead, make a desktop shortcut to "oceanic.exe" - right click on the desktop, choose "New", "Shortcut" etc.

ok i will start over, and when i do the "overwrite" just unzip everything into the Oceanic folder right? am i understanding correctly?

and nah i dont start it from the desktop i go to the folder and open it from there.

and i had Nothing in there that looked like anyhting in your pic, like the ogg, galaxy guide,importer or the oceanic_clean main folder

ok i will start over, and when i do the "overwrite" just unzip everything into the Oceanic folder right? am i understanding correctly?

and nah i dont start it from the desktop i go to the folder and open it from there.

and i had Nothing in there that looked like anyhting in your pic, like the ogg, galaxy guide,importer or the oceanic_clean main folder

You don't need the update.

Just delete all oceanic files, create a new folder for it somewhere on your hard drive, say "D:/oceanic", "oceanic_clean" is just a test folder I created for myself, you can create any folder anywhere you like, download main oceanic package from the web site and unzip it into that folder.

Last edited:
Oceanic is now officially supported by Arkadia Studios and has it's own well organized subforum

Interactive Arkadia.

You are welcome to post all your questions and feedback in there :wtg:

General update (05.02.2012):

----------------
Due to the low popularity of stand alone updates - oceanic21Update.zip - these updates have been discontinued. To update oceanic please re-download the default package - oceanic21.zip
----------------

If you already have a previous version of oceanic, re-download the default package and unzip its contents into oceanic folder, overwriting all existing files.

Use "update" button from within the tool to check for the latest update.

Program update:

- program default settings in oceanic config file have been implemented for crosshair, server borders, zone borders and skin:

the settings code in the default package:
<setup crosshair="off" borders="off" zones="off" skin=""/>

with all options turned on and default black skin, the code will look like this:

<setup crosshair="on" borders="on" zones="on" skin="black"/>

- oceanic now recognizes separate colors for server borders and server zones in config file:

you can change both colors here:
<design type="Server borders" units="meters" color="0xff3300" alpha="1" shape="poly"/>
<design type="Revival zones" group="Main" units="meters" color="0xff6600" alpha="0.3" shape="poly"/>

- new feature "location sync" have been implemented:

how it works:

press P ingame, select your position in the main chat and copy it to clipboard (Ctrl+C)

syncpos.gif

switch to oceanic and press
g, oceanic will center the map at your current location, precc c to turn on crosshairs if you have it off

- added support for Missions, including NPCs and mission Objectives in oceanic config file

Arkadia update:

- updated map for 8 Coins area

- updated TPs, Revivals and LAs for 8 Coins area

- all "new player experience" mission chains have been added, including images/description for all major missions' NPCs and Objectives

- updated TPs, Revivals and POI for Celeste Harbour and Resolute Firebase areas

Next Island update:

- more TPs and Revivals added and changed following the last new player area overhaul

- mineral charts added

Oceanic Galaxy Guide update:

- Arkadia chronicles updated with ingame character images

Back