Online Anonymity

Very interesting read, definitely worth clicking.

It will be not for long that there will be anonymizers to randomly change the fingerprint of the information you spread when browsing; adding or removing fonts to your system a few times a week apparently changes your profile already.
just like you can now change IP address to appear to come from everywhere in the world.

It's a constant race between privacy and the likes of Facebook, Google etc. who want to make a buck out of exploiting our privacy.

As for the online identity and trolling: I think we have a pretty good social system already developed in the community. Your reputation in-game and on the forums are good safeguards against abuse and make what you have to say matter to those who know.

Just make a sale thread for Supremacy footies T0.0 with fresh account and see people frown upon the deal, where as a reputable seller gets the offers flowing in.

/Slupor

online anonymity has always been a myth, if the authorities want to trace you they can. that said, to individual sites, without the power to interogate or trace through ISPs servers and routers, then its a near as makes any difference.

the BlueCava system will have exactly the same problems as anything else "forced", it will invoke the ire of the privacy lobby. Facebook and Google have gotten away with it because we tacitly consent to their monitoring, and frankly we get a pretty good deal out of it (targeted adverts, special offers). they only know as much about the person as the person makes available online.

moreover, as i read it, i can defeat BlueCava by the simple use of a VM machine and a proxy. it would be much use for real fraud or criminal tracking, just another marketing tool for those that freely allow their information to be available.

Back