Info: Procedurally Generated "Randomness"

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
Sure anyone can say that this game is random... But how do you actually prove it..

For example.. I will be using excel as a simple.

Create a simple circle.. m=cos(m) m=sin(m). Simple right... Now make the formula m=mod(cos(m),1) m=mod(sin(m),1) and it looks completely different. I would not even guess that this was a circle anymore.

Point is that the more you look into it, the more you come to realize that this game is not as random as people think it is..

oh and m=cos(m*.618)*sqrt(m) m=sin(m*.618)*sqrt(m) just looks so cool....

Point is that the more you look into it, the more you come to realize that this game is not as random as people think it is..

Well, nothing in computer science is completely random (except for some real world data used), so this is a certainty. The question is, is it predictable enough to matter?

To clarify further: what computers do, in essence, is mathematical computations. There is no randomness in mathematical computations, thus computers are unable to generate truly random numbers.

This can be offset by seeding the PRNG with parameters from external sources. This makes it less predictable, but still not random. Unless the external parameters are truly random, which makes the result random. The generation is still not random though

Last edited:
I am not talking about seeds necessary. Sorry if I am going to be going over some peoples heads here, I'm talking about f(m)

Like for example (and I love being actually able to write this down properly, I hope) f(m)=m^2*cos(m^2)

The game is all but random. just there is a layer of noise to "obfuscate" real loot calculation
as loot instance progress the "noise" averaged toward 97.4 to me (and it is dramatically clear that i am loosing 2.5% and more... on a 300k cycle it is 7500 ped
and it is not that easy to extract 7500 ped MU per month

Who ever said things in this game were random? I thought the general belief was that it was like 99% calculated. If it were truly random we'd be seeing a lot more variety in the names on the hof board.

Back