Registering Denied?

Status

ErikKnoop

Old
Erik Knoop Knoop
Hey.
Im making this thread on the behalf of my friend, WildChild.
He tried to register from his home, didnt work.
He tried to register from school, didnt work.
He has tried with Gmail and hotmail, doesnt work
Contacted the forums but no reply.. any ideas? cheers.

PM 711 to see if he can check into it.

-Bemo-

I share the PM reply here, in case others encounter this issue.

Email accounts at free email services like hotmail and gmail are very often used by spambots, and thus are not allowed on PCF. Instruct your friend to use a different email account when registering.

Yes i regged using gmail too..

but then again.. I am a spambot..

How anyone is supposed to register if free email services are lot allowed is beyond my comprehension.

Personally I registered with a gmail account and if I hadn't been able to, I wouldn't be here.

@711
There are other ways of ensuring that a minimum of spammers registers.

How anyone is supposed to register if free email services are lot allowed is beyond my comprehension.

Personally I registered with a gmail account and if I hadn't been able to, I wouldn't be here.

Persons who registered a while back could do it without problems. which sucks imo, why not just make so the person making an account must recieve and activation code from another member whom they know or something

That is a really odd request in my honest opinion, i dont know anyone who pays for there Email adress why would you when there are great safe free options out there?

Best regards
Zweshi

I agree. This is stupid.

However since WildChild is a member of my society I gave him an email address on my domain. This problem is fixed, for this user.

@711

That is a really odd request in my honest opinion, i dont know anyone who pays for there Email adress why would you when there are great safe free options out there?

Best regards
Zweshi

The reason is pretty simple... User data.... and this infuriates me :mad:

Just for the record,, even the financial institutions use hotmail, yahoo and gmail account for registration.

WildChild Tried using that Laudanum Mail.. Did not work.

Actually I spoke too soon.

This problem is not fixed for this user. My domain seems to have been identified as a spammer domain. I guess all 3 emails on it have been relentlessly sending out spam, despite my domain not showing up at all on any official blacklists. :girl:

WildChild will be sending a contact soon to try to get this remedied the right way. I may be assigning him a different email on another domain of mine. Whatever's clever.

The reason is pretty simple... User data.... and this infuriates me :mad:

Just for the record,, even the financial institutions use hotmail, yahoo and gmail account for registration.

And yeah, it is user data farming. I could really care less about that stuff though, tbh. In the 21'st century your data is for sale from the moment you are conceived. I'm not going to worry about stuff I cant change.

WildChild Has sended a contact a while ago - also he is posting using this account :)

Oh. Well dont do that! You're liable to get something that says 3.14 or 5.67 or whatever. This forum likes to inconveniently apply its infraction process.

Also you could be causing problems for yourself as your IP is being tracked on multiple accounts, thus contributing to the possibility the system identifies you as a spammer. Relax. It is being handled. Your friend probably wants his account too, so give it back.

weird yahoo is what i use

Yes i regged using gmail too..

but then again.. I am a spambot..

You probably registered your forum accounts before the restriction on Gmail/Hotmail was instituted. Existing users were permitted to keep their original email address.

Who said that all free email services are not allowed? The restriction only applies to Gmail/Hotmail email addresses, which are used very frequently by spambots. This policy is not unique to PCF; a large number of internet forums disallow email addresses from the most popular free email providers in order to minimize spam.

@711

I am well aware, and we have several other anti-spam tools here in place on PCF, including two types of human verification, email confirmation/activation, automated detection and prevention of spam posts, open-source centralized spambot database plugins, and more. Nevertheless, some spam still gets through and wastes a sizable chunk of the time of our volunteer moderators.

Fighting spam is a neverending battle for forums and other public websites that allow members to post content. One of the many ways to help prevent spam is by restricting the use of those free email providers which are most abused by spambots. Experience has shown that a very large portion of such spambots use Gmail or Hotmail addresses, so one of the most effective ways to reduce spam on the forum is by prohibiting those two email providers.

Actually I spoke too soon.

This problem is not fixed for this user. My domain seems to have been identified as a spammer domain. I guess all 3 emails on it have been relentlessly sending out spam, despite my domain not showing up at all on any official blacklists. :girl:

As I explained via private message, the problems encountered by your friend when trying to register were not related to the email address you provided, and your domain is not flagged as a spammer domain.

As I explained via private message, the problems encountered by your friend when trying to register were not related to the email address you provided, and your domain is not flagged as a spammer domain.

Got the messages. I've sent him a message on my boards to try it out using the instructions you provided. Will let you know whether it works or not via PM.

Thanks,

-MR

It worked, Thanks a lot, you can close this thread up now :)

Glad to hear you were able to finally complete the registration process.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused by the hyperaggressive automated anti-spam tools (which have now been tweaked).

:locked:

Status
Back