Riders Come Out- I need your input

Svetlana

Poster Girl
Society
The Jaded Crown
Ragnarok Svetlana Valhalla
Hello mates.
I am looking into purchasing a bike (read that motorcycle) and have found one in particular that has really caught my eye for several reasons. Was hoping to get some feedback from those out there in EF land that ride:
Here's what you need to know about me:
I'm a novice rider. I want a light bike and the 250 is tempting (although I hear that a 500 wouldn't be bad for me as my height is 5'9" so it's not as if I NEED to have a small 250). I want it CHEAP. That's big, b/c of course I'll be laying this bike down and while I could list some bikes that I REALLY want, I'm not going to get one of them until I have more miles under my tires ;)
Here are the stats:
Kawasaki NINJA 250, 2004. twin cylinder, four stroke. 6-speed, disc brakes, rear suspension.

*Note: I was looking into a Suzuki GS500 but have been unable to find decent one in my area for sale. Hence, I noticed this Kawa... but I have no idea what the reliance is on it, etc. So if any1 has such info, pls hit me up! I could use it now :girl:

New license eh? Fresh meat eh? ;)
Unfortunately i haven't had a bike in a couple of years now, so i can't give any advice really. But a 250 sounds pretty small even for you at 5'9. I personally thinks anything below 900 is puny like a moped. :silly2:

There are many models to chose from for sure, but if i were you i wouldn't start with a small bike like that, even if you're a new rider. I'd go for a 500 myself and grow into it if i were you. I bet you would be bored with a 250 too quickly.

But something cheap eh? Couldn't tell, but i'm sure some more US dudes will give you some advice here soon enough. So why the heck did i type all this crap without really helping you out? I have no idea :laugh:

But grats on your license however (unless you had it for years already and only buying a bike just now ;) ), and remember: Drive carefully out there! ;)

get the 500cc ninja. the 250 is way to slow. A women at my work just got a '02 ninja 500 and she loves it.

Now now Svety ... I'm starting to get worried. Are you going to back down at the last moment again? :boxer:

I think I remember seing a similar thread a long time ago. I guess you didn't bought it back then :( I hope this time you'll go for it :naughty: (just imagine a bike under this guy)

:tongue2:

YUp Dev ;) Finally it's time to buy my OWN bike :girl:

Thx mates for your ideas thus far.

I hear conflicting theories on the size of bike to get for a starter. I know I could take a 500, or perhaps even a 650, but often ppl still recommend starting low and going up. That said, I also realize that when I do make the jump up in size it might be difficult to re-learn things on a larger bike. Soooo... perhaps I best keep my options open again for 500+ bikes. Grrr... it's too damned complicated! :D At this point, I'll be happy just having my own ride ;)

its all up to what kind of bike u are getting. U can get a big 1200cc cruiser and the bike will go like 110mph top, or u can a rocket like a crb600rr and the bike will go like 160mph. so its not really the size of the motor but what style of bike u want

I think u should get the ninja if u like speed and ripping through corners . But if u just want to go on long rides crusing around town get something like a honda shadow.

here are some good bikes for u.

2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

2006 Honda 599

2006 Ninja 500R

:smoke:

How many times I gotta tell ya! If your gonna buy one of those damn crotch rockets get a DUCATI! gah...

maybe a V-Rod or even a Buell...

NO RICE BURNERS :cussing:

Faustian said:
How many times I gotta tell ya! If your gonna buy one of those damn crotch rockets get a DUCATI! gah...

Ya but Faust, come on... you know me by now.... I just don't listen ;)

As per Ducati- hell YES! Bring it on! I'll get one, no doubt, eventually. Also love the Aprilias.... nice bikes imo. But, my fav is the BMW... what I would give for a Beemer (no, don't really ask what I would give b/c, well, that's just not right to devulge!)

But, in all honesty Faust- I am not a poser.... I'm a newb on a bike. Hence, I have no right driving the most beautiful bikes right off the bat. I'll settle for a Suzuki or Kawa until I deem myself 'graduated'.

I have not road an Bike for some time but maybe I can help you some what; I was thinking of getting an new bike this summer!

Your first bike should not be all that great because you will most likely take at least one spill with it! So get an bike you can practice beat up some what. This way you don’t mess up that nice bike when you do get it.

I assume you have your Motor cycle license if needed where you live?

Another thing is make sure the bike has anti lock brakes :)

Now with all that said and done the Ninja 500 might be an good choice for you... actually im seeing if I can get an Nija 1000 or bigger this year but have road and took spills before!

I almost forgot an important RULE!

Never get an bike you can’t pick up!

While being 5'9" is good make sure the bike is not to heavy you cant manage it or pick it up!

That does not mean pick it up over your head LOL, but be able to pick it up if it should have fallen over. An good bike can weigh 500 pounds or more

PS:

Things not to do:

1) Don’t be like my friend that did over 160 MPH on the FDR.............
End result 1 steel pin in ankle, 1 Brand New (3day old) Ninja 1000 (spill) whole left side destroyed!

2) Don’t wear shorts! Just had to say it ;)

Last edited:
Dont get a crotch rocket..:( Road bike it. :)

Cant talk too much, I only had one bike it was a suzuki 450 late 70's early 80's nothing special, but the 450 as a novice was pretty good. Price was right too great condition for 500 bucks, had to thank his wife for getting on his ass and forcing the sale. :)

Though a little light...If I were to get another, would be heavier for sure...riding in the rain with the 450 was pretty scary.

But as far as my personal opinion for input, get some leather chaps, a bikini top and a harley. And send me pics. :) You would be perfect for that setup ;)

Seriously though, please make sure to be very safe, motercycles are fun, but risks are very high....assume everyone is an idiot and doesnt see you, be 150% more alert than driving, wear glasses at the very least, and a helmet.

Last edited:
forgo said:
But as far as my personal opinion for input, get some leather chaps, a bikini top and a harley. And send me pics. :) You would be perfect for that setup ;)

Hehe- funny thing about a lot of wives... it seems they just don't care for their men on bikes :rolleyes: Fortunately, my husband doesn't mind :girl:

As to my outfit- LOL. Actually, to play it safe I think I'll spend about as much on my riding attire as on the bike (not to be a poser, just to be safe). Leather all the way (and hehe Nicole... no worries, I will not be in shorts! :laugh: ). When I do get everything together, sure I'll post a pic... no bikini tops tho. I'm thinking some nice.,.. trying to convince my hubby to spend some nice dollars on an Icon jacket (it's no easy task!) like these: http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/shop/Womens_Jackets/F-15113_Womens_Tuscadero_Street_Jackets.html?E+scstore

I will recommend joining ABATE
A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments
http://www.abate-wa.org/
There web site for Washington State

I am a member and they do great things to aid bikers.

Faustian said:
I will recommend joining ABATE
A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments
http://www.abate-wa.org/
There web site for Washington State

I am a member and they do great things to aid bikers.

Faust- I would, if AT ALL POSSIBLE, like to save both the skin on my back and my head while riding ;)

Why Hondas and Ducatis???Get Yamahas...the Yamaha R1 get mid range...only if you want 1000cc...but nevertheless the Yamaha r6 only 600cc and not too expansive.

A woman friend, that rode a lot, made a great statement once. She said that way she tested whether a new bike was good for her was, with the owners permission, and assistance, lay the bike on it's side. Then try to stand it back up, by herself. She said that if she could do it, without getting a hernia that it was okay. If she couldn't then it was to big of a bike and to not bother.

When I met her she was riding a Harley Sportster so I think she had graduated to big bikes. Her thing though was that no matter how good you are eventually the bike will be on its side, whether from wet pavement, or someone being stupid and knocking it over.

Sounds like fun. As Nicole says, make sure you can get the thing back up if you drop it.

I had bikes years ago, but nothing big: A Honda CB650 and an XL185 for playing in the dirt. A friend at work told me how to stay alive on one: Drive like they're all out to get you.

Wear your leathers and helmet. My nephew that just died (that I wrote about in my diary) did so from injuries sustained in a ride that was about 3 seconds long in a parking lot bacause he couldn't avoid hitting a concrete wall. He wasn't wearing his helmet because he was just getting it ready to load in a truck. That's all it took.

Have fun and be careful. :)

Your best bet is to go to a motorcycle dealership and check them all out. Tell the sales guy that your looking and want to size up a bike. Get on a few. Find one that you feel comfortable on. Many people will say, go with Suzuki, Yama, etc. Ignore them all. Get the one that feels right to you. Different brands are made differently. Some manufacturers put things in places that might seem out of place.

Once you've got an idea about a brand you like, talk to the sales guy. Almost all dealerships have used bikes and not all of them are on display.

Also, look in like the Penny Pincher mag and other bike trader magazines. If your in the US, at your local conveiniance store, there should be a Bike Trader magazine.

Get a good helmet if you haven't got one already. PA just made a law making helmets optional and another requiring seat belts in cars. Makes you wonder...

Also, get some frame sliders for the bike. They will save your plastics if you drop the bike a time or two.

My first bike...2001 Suzuki GSXR 750
MrWizardsRide.jpg

Faustian said:

*Offers Faust a beer*
Hear, hear...nice spoken :D

I'm a Harley man myself for the last 20 years.
Proud owner of a 1943 WLA-45 and curently building a shovel streetfighter.

Anyway, dont start to light...all I hear from other starting riders who start light is that they grow out of it to fast.
Buell is a nice choice, although not cheap.
I think sportsters are not to expencive overthere, so a nice bike for decent price.
Becouse of weight and hight its called a womans bike here :D

If you persist in starting with a *cough, japbike, cough*
You can look into a Yamaha Firago.

Well whatever your choice is, live to ride, ride to live and keep it safe.

Ride on.

after i passed my test i got a 600cc bandit, and i will admit to anyone it was waaaay too much bike for me at the time, lol had a few close shaves

after a year orso i had decided fibreglass farings were just a risk, its expensive and, well, as i say, i just couldnt handle it

so it got sold :( and i went off and bought a 5 year old honda shadow 600

its awsome, i had sooo much more fun cruising around rather than hanging on for dear life :p

the ride i found to be smoother, i didnt feel the need to hurtle around like a nutter and well i just loved the style and sound it made (phat exhust needed)

the fuel costs were lower, the speed i rode at was slower and well i didnt have the paranioa of worrying about will my faring still be there whn i get back from this shop :)

but the key is to find a bike u are happy with, size, weight etc

my local bike shop here is cool, i can pop down and take some bike for a ride and get a nice feel for them

cruisers for the win :D

and as mr wizard says, get them to fit enginebars, can save u a fortune if it gets dropped
and pay good money for a high quality helmet + leathers too, when it comes to personal safty there no cutting corners

gl and hf out there :) and we all wanna see a pic of the bike u choose:)
LT

Thx guys for all of your advice!
DarkMatter- great advice from your female friend that rides! Certainly, it won't do me much good to get a bike I can't even get back up once it's down. :D

Gold- sry to hear about your nephew. Things like that are always so scary and sad to hear. I myself will be playing it safe (hey, I have a son that I want to see grow into a man :) ).

All of this advice over which bike is best, etc etc is hurting my head! lol. I've posted on a motorcycle forum for newbie riders and get a ton of suggestions there as well- but none of them seem to help. I think it does all come down to me getting on the bike and feeling it out- ensuring it's a comfortable fit for at least the first 6-12 months of my riding.

Thx again mates :girl:

Back